Page 751 of 1631 FirstFirst ... 2516517017417477487497507517527537547557618018511251 ... LastLast
Results 18,751 to 18,775 of 40770
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Such doom & gloom in this thread. Let's try to be optimistic.

Assuming actual cases is 20x confirmed cases and deaths is reasonably accurate, we only have ~500k deaths to go before the US can move on from the covid era.

So cheer up people.
    Weren't you posting the antibodies were only good for like 60 days though? How would the virus ever burn out with such a short immunity phase? Wouldn't it just be a forest fire with effectively never-ending fuel in that case?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weren't you posting the antibodies were only good for like 60 days though? How would the virus ever burn out with such a short immunity phase? Wouldn't it just be a forest fire with effectively never-ending fuel in that case?
    Actually Antibodies are not the only defense mechanism. There are cells that "eat" other viral infected cells directly or viruses directly if they encounter the viral antigen.
    But its really not good news if the body does not recognize the 2nd exposure to the virus quickly.
    Antibodies greatly aid the "clean up" cells by binding to the active virus in your body or cells that display the viral antigen. They help the "eater/clean up" cells find virus and cells infected with the virus.

Hope this makes sense, because it is important.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey I'm trying to be optimistic with the "only ~500k deaths to go" scenario

Don't be a downer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey I'm trying to be optimistic with the "only ~500k deaths to go" scenario

Don't be a downer
    Just wondering if any of will outlive the COVID era. Or if it's something that'll take many generations of evolution by natural selection in humans until our population has enough resistance for it to just be a cold like the other human coronaviruses.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wondering if any of will outlive the COVID era. Or if it's something that'll take many generations of evolution by natural selection in humans until our population has enough resistance for it to just be a cold like the other human coronaviruses.
    Natural selection in this case is a two way street so hopefully it doesn't take generations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually Antibodies are not the only defense mechanism. There are cells that "eat" other viral infected cells directly or viruses directly if they encounter the viral antigen.
    But its really not good news if the body does not recognize the 2nd exposure to the virus quickly.
    Antibodies greatly aid the "clean up" cells by binding to the active virus in your body or cells that display the viral antigen. They help the "eater/clean up" cells find virus and cells infected with the virus.

Hope this makes sense, because it is important.
    Sorry, I'm ducks when it comes to life sciences.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just gotta cross out the potential end games one by one tbqh.

Vaccines are out (1/2 ppl wont take them )
    Herd immunity is a myth especially without vaccines
    Treatments are viable
    Mutations to a less harmful disease is also very viable

But then again yes this could remain a 10x stronger flu for decades. But with combination of the 2 latter, life will slowly go back to close to normal. Well be fine in 2 years save a new virus tbqh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just gotta cross out the potential end games one by one tbqh.

Vaccines are out (1/2 ppl wont take them )
    Herd immunity is a myth especially without vaccines
    Treatments are viable
    Mutations to a less harmful disease is also very viable

But then again yes this could remain a 10x stronger flu for decades. But with combination of the 2 latter, life will slowly go back to close to normal. Well be fine in 2 years save a new virus tbqh
    its not even 2x the flu now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its not even 2x the flu now.
    My homey just got it. It's definitely way more than 2x the flu. He's healthy and young(late 30s) his fever been going up and down for over 1 week, he's been to the ER 3 times due to various body pains.

Sorry to break it to you nig

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feds planning to ‘blitz’ test in Texas to find young adults silently spreading COVID-19

People under age 39 make up a growing share of positive coronavirus cases in Dallas County

Federal officials are developing plans for a “blitz” of testing in Texas and other states to find young adults who have no symptoms and may be unknowingly spreading the coronavirus.

The effort would target people under age 35 in “moderate sized” communities, which have not yet been named.
    “The strategy would be to surge test,”

“You would do the number of tests you do in a month in just a few days, to try to make sure we identify these asymptomatics and get a better handle on them.”

Texas, Florida and Louisiana,

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/07/01/feds-planning-to-blitz-test-in-texas-to-find-young-adults-silently-spreading-covid-19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My homey just got it. It's definitely way more than 2x the flu. He's healthy and young(late 30s) his fever been going up and down for over 1 week, he's been to the ER 3 times due to various body pains.

Sorry to break it to you nig
    people start to believe as more and more people are infected and it directly affects them. Luckily you live in the US which allows you to express your views with others on one of the most lenient boards I have ever seen.

since you do appear to like to express your opinion you probably don’t want to go to Russia. Just saying...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people start to believe as more and more people are infected and it directly affects them. Luckily you live in the US which allows you to express your views with others on one of the most lenient boards I have ever seen.

since you do appear to like to express your opinion you probably don’t want to go to Russia. Just saying...
    CNN was at Methodist in SA and interviewed a doctor there. Don't have the clip but, to paraphrase, Dr. Jeffery Dellavolpe said: "Today was probably one of my worst days. I got ten calls, all of them young people. They're so sick, if they don't get that support, they're probably going to die. I have 3 beds."

Just the flu, hospitalizations flat, COVID deaths fake news, etc, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, I'm ducks when it comes to life sciences.
    Honesty on this board?

No no No...

go back and make something up.
    theoldren, sputacular and DMC implore you to fake it.

We would like antibodies and cells working together if we vaccinate someone.
    Good vaccines help our bodies to find and eliminate the virus quickly so that the virus does not have a chance to spread in our bodies and cause the myriad of symptoms we are seeing now.

I still hold out hope that a vaccine for this can be produced much quicker than for other viruses like the flu. The flu vaccine changes year to year due to the fact that we get many different types of flu viruses year after year but we are familiar with how to predict and produce a vaccine that will have the greatest likelihood of being effective

this virus gives very simple signals that it is present in the body. A vaccine should theoretically be easy, so easy that if you were going to give vaccine manufacturers a virus profile to try to make a vaccine for you would definitely pick this one.

but testing and then production is a whole different subject. I am just happy to know that on the molecular level, this virus is simple. what it does after it gets into bodies is not.
    the symptoms vary greatly and as you know, it is extraordinarily easy to get infected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CNN was at Methodist in SA and interviewed a doctor there. Don't have the clip but, to paraphrase, Dr. Jeffery Dellavolpe said: "Today was probably one of my worst days. I got ten calls, all of them young people. They're so sick, if they don't get that support, they're probably going to die. I have 3 beds."

my wife works in a lab.
    The doctors come in all the time and they are very worried.
    some of these doctors thankfully are very curious and are trying to get a better diagnostic feel for what this virus has in common person to person. The hematology people in the lab seem to think the virus causes a very similar type of weird white blood cell to show up

I am thankful for all the medical workers that are corresponding with each other to try to get a grasp of what is going on. too bad we don’t have the leader ship to get a more coordinated effort

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honesty on this board?

No no No...

go back and make something up.
    theoldren, sputacular and DMC implore you to fake it.

We would like antibodies and cells working together if we vaccinate someone.
    Good vaccines help our bodies to find and eliminate the virus quickly so that the virus does not have a chance to spread in our bodies and cause the myriad of symptoms we are seeing now.

I still hold out hope that a vaccine for this can be produced much quicker than for other viruses like the flu. The flu vaccine changes year to year due to the fact that we get many different types of flu viruses year after year but we are familiar with how to predict and produce a vaccine that will have the greatest likelihood of being effective

this virus gives very simple signals that it is present in the body. A vaccine should theoretically be easy, so easy that if you were going to give vaccine manufacturers a virus profile to try to make a vaccine for you would definitely pick this one.

but testing and then production is a whole different subject. I am just happy to know that on the molecular level, this virus is simple. what it does after it gets into bodies is not.
    the symptoms vary greatly and as you know, it is extraordinarily easy to get infected.
    vaccination should never be quick. This virus creates an immune response in some individuals that can not be explained yet. That would suggest something unique in those patients, perhaps genetic or even previous vaccinations. A rushed vaccine could be harmful for those people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Here it is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    vaccination should never be quick. This virus creates an immune response in some individuals that can not be explained yet. That would suggest something unique in those patients, perhaps genetic or even previous vaccinations. A rushed vaccine could be harmful for those people.
    Yet Operation Warp Speed is doing just that. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here it is

Two things to note:

1. That interview is at least a day old so the situation is worse and will get worse today, tomorrow, etc.

2. Methodist was already at surge capacity. Those 3 beds he mentioned are probably part of those extra beds. Soon people will be spilling out into the parking lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thldren about to lose his . Even his NICU beds are filling up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats too hyperbole. 98% of ppl will NOT die. So saying "if you wanna see aug 1 is a bit much imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two things to note:

1. That interview is at least a day old so the situation is worse and will get worse today, tomorrow, etc.

2. Methodist was already at surge capacity. Those 3 beds he mentioned are probably part of those extra beds. Soon people will be spilling out into the parking lot.
    Sobering to see the hospital most of my family has been using for decades in such dire straits, especially when we're still so early in this. I can't imagine what the place is going to look like in 3-4 weeks. Well I can, refrigerated trucks like New York or death panels like Italy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats too hyperbole. 98% of ppl will NOT die. So saying "if you wanna see aug 1 is a bit much imo
    Don't know who threw that 98% out there but, remember bro, death rate doesn't matter right now. Methodist is almost filled and that's a huge conplex. Whatever the percentage is, it will rise if this doesn't stop somehow. What worries me is that nothing is going to stop the train of this week and the next that's coming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sobering to see the hospital most of my family has been using for decades in such dire straits, especially when we're still so early in this. I can't imagine what the place is going to look like in 3-4 weeks. Well I can, refrigerated trucks like New York or death panels like Italy.
    Kinda got flashbacks to the death panels when he mentioned making those hard decisions with so many patients and so few beds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, jfc, a garden hose through your groin to your heart or a vent.

Yeah, that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I'm reading, a vaccine available to Ms or Bs is well into 2021.

US paid $70M to develop remdesivir, a does costs $3100, saves only 20% to 30% of victims.

Gilead making bank

How secret deals could keep a COVID-19 drug out of reach for millions

agreements that activists say will restrict global access to remdesivir,

signed confidential licensing deals with nine pharmaceutical manufacturers — including seven in India — that would prevent the generic version of the drug from being distributed in dozens of countries, including the U.S., that account for nearly half the world’s population.

the licenses allow Gilead to control the global supply of its patented drug even as the World Health Organization warns the COVID-19 pandemic is entering a “new and dangerous phase.”

Gilead has said they allow for a cheaper, generic form of remdesivir to be distributed in 127 countries, including nearly all of the world’s poorest nations.

the agreements exclude countries with some of the worst coronavirus outbreaks — including the U.S., Brazil, Russia, Britain and Peru — leading to allegations that Gilead aims to sell only its much costlier, name-brand version of the drug in middle-income and wealthy nations that are desperate for the treatment.

“Gilead excluded these countries because they have commercial potential and because Gilead wants to reserve the right to prevent compe ion and charge higher prices.”

The companysays the prices are fair when compared with the cost of a longer hospital stay.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-07-01/gilead-patent-limits-access-to-covid-19-drug-remdesivir

For-profit Capitalist health care! What's not to hate

Last edited by boutons_deux; 07-02-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Thread Information