Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to start prognosticating on next year's roster.

Here is who we have signed and who I would assume we would re-sign:

Salary(M) Name POS
    $27.74 DDR SG (playing SF)
    $24.00 LMA PF
    $14.50 R Gay PF
    $13.29 P Mills SG (This is his actual position, not theoretical. He is way undersized at 6'1") Final contract year, Yay!
    $ 6.65 D Carroll SF (only $1.35M Guaranteed in late June 2021) Doesn't play, so good trade fodder.
    $ 5.50 T Lyles PF (Only $1M Guaranteed in late June 2020) We could use an upgrade here. Just waive him?
    $ ?.?? J Poeltl C Has been a ray of sunshine. Re-signing is a no-brainer, but for how much?
    $ 2.90 L Walker SG
    $ 2.82 L Samanic SF
    $14.29 D Murray PG
    $ 2.05 K Johnson SF (Might really help next year at SF if he can make that transition from the G-League)
    $ 3.52 D White PG (He's a point regardless of whether you list him as PG or SG)
    $ 1.66 C Metu PF (Might really help at PF if he can make the transition from the G-League) This is a team option

That is 13 players. Assuming we keep our first round draft pick, that puts us at 14. Not a lot of room on the roster next year.

Let's analyze by position:
    PG: Murray and White: Pretty solid. Anyone else that can handle the ball is gravy over them
    SG: DDR(it'd be nice to move him back to his natural position), Walker and Mills: Beli and Forbes should be gone
    SF: Samanic, K Johnson, Carroll: Samanic is likely another year away from getting time with the main club, but eats a spot on the roster. KJ might be ready. WTF is going on with Carroll? DDR can split time here to give Walker more minutes at SG.
    PF: LMA, Gay, Lyles, and Metu: Need an upgrade over Lyles and more consistency than we have in Gay. Metu being able to make the jump from G-League would help.
    C: Poeltl: While LMA can play center, we could use a solid minute eater at C to help Poeltl and reduce LMA's time at center. Nikola? That would put us at 15 barring any cuts or trades.

What position do we draft? Most likely BPA. We could use a PG/SG type, so long as they have good handles.

So not much room on next year's roster. I think we look at waiving Lyles and / or trading Carroll. We can also let Mills contract run out next year to open another slot for the year after because he is not getting traded, so don't even try. Other than that, we should be fairly solid in who we have. We'll need time for the youth to get seasoned and develop, but we are looking at a solid roster next year.

Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking at salaries, with a $5.09M qualifying offer for Poeltl, we are essentially at $124M in salary. That is over the projected $116M salary cap and under the projected $141M luxury tax. It would also mean it might make bringing Nikola over impossible as we'd be limited in what we could offer. Do we have the MLE to offer him? If we replace Lyles and Carroll, we would likely fill with vet min contracts or whatever part of the MLE (if available) is not used.

Thoughts?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't see Bryn here, he is betting better every year, put him in SL for 30 mins and you're set, supermax is coming

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR's position doesn't really matter.
    Really there are no five positions in the Nba. It's much more Guards, Wings and Centers.

SG or SF? Who cares, there is no difference at all.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hope no ddr, forbes, beli, mills and pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why the Lakers are winning. They are running big conventional lineups and are bullying the leagues all wing strategy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be nice it Rudy is traded before next season starts, Lyles would be a decent backup Big 10-12 min a game cause he know the system, either Patty or Forbes (preferably Forbes) have to be included in a trade before next season because QW is not a young pup (4yrs college) and could garner minutes off the bench 10-12 and not plausible to have 3 undersized guards on the team and he ca actually run the point and hit the 3 ball (Forbes can not run the point), Beli can't play defense but but knows the system and has more size to attempt to play and cover big guards and small forwards so he is more valuable then Forbes as long as he's the 10th-11th person off the bench, not sure what's going on with DMC but don't see him being back next season and if the Spurs aren't playing much better than this team by next years trading deadline - then unload DDR and LMA so that the rebuild can finally begin and at least we get to see all the young play. That will be worth watching with no expectations to make the playoffs which means less stress on us fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why the Lakers are winning. They are running big conventional lineups and are bullying the leagues all wing strategy.
    LAL has two top 5 players, one of them is the GOAT, while they play lineups with KCP at 4 or LBJ at 5. They are not playing big all the time, but they are as versatile as it gets.
    When your best player can play all 5 positions, it makes your team hard to catch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are bringing back the same team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to start prognosticating on next year's roster.

Here is who we have signed and who I would assume we would re-sign:

Salary(M) Name POS
    $27.74 DDR SG (playing SF)

DDR has a player option for next season, so it isn't about the team re-signing him. He will not get any higher offers from any other teams. He'll exercise the option, if money is his motive.

Even a serious effort by PATFO (which they will not make) will not move that contract.

$24.00 LMA PF

The amount is now fully guaranteed, just btw. Other teams might like to have LMA, but not at that price.

$14.50 R Gay PF

Ditto the DDR comment: Even a serious effort by PATFO (which they will not make) will not move that contract.

$13.29 P Mills SG (This is his actual position, not theoretical. He is way undersized at 6'1") Final contract year, Yay!

One hopes it's his final contract year, but there's PATFO to contend with. Mills is 31, and there is the serious possibility that PATFO will want to give him his "last big contract."

$ 6.65 D Carroll SF (only $1.35M Guaranteed in late June 2021) Doesn't play, so good trade fodder.

No, he is not good trade fodder. The Spurs have become known for squeezing performance out of older vets, so for him not to play looks bad to the rest of the league. That contract is now hard to move.

$ 5.50 T Lyles PF (Only $1M Guaranteed in late June 2020) We could use an upgrade here. Just waive him?

His $5.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on June 30, according to spotrac.

Better have somebody else lined up before letting Lyles go, or they'll have Belinelli starting at PF. I wish I was only making a silly joke.

Speaking of Belinelli, he becomes a free agent at the end of this season, but we know Pop likes him because "he knows the system." Danger!

The contract of the Unspeakable One expires at the end of this season, but we have seen how Pop is with his pet Drama Queen. More danger.

$ ?.?? J Poeltl C Has been a ray of sunshine. Re-signing is a no-brainer, but for how much?

Poeltl's qualifying offer is $5,087,870.

Murray is locked in, as we know. That contract isn't going anywhere.

White, his team option for next season was exercised in October. He would be the most tradeable, but the Spurs cannot do without him, unless they do far better in free agency than they've any right to expect.

The team option for Walker was exercised last October.

Samanic, another year on the roster, but assigned to Austin. Johnson, ditto.

Metu, the Spurs still don't even know if he's an NBA player or not, and are giving themselves no chance to find out.

What position do we draft? ...

As far as next season goes, it doesn't matter. The Spurs won't play him. Pop's fantasy of drafting Nancy Pelosi could come true and it wouldn't make a goddam bit of difference.

... Other than that, we should be fairly solid in who we have. ...

The team will be solidly worse next season.

DDR will probably be back, and will not be better.

LMA, now in decline, will be a little worse.

Gay, now in decline, will be worse.

Mills will not have as good a year, next year.

White should be healthier, and somewhat better, but he can't carry the team.

Murray, progressing at a snail's pace, will be a little better, but not enough to significantly improve the team.

Poeltl, if they're smart enough to keep him, will be better, but again, he can't carry them.

Walker will be better, to the extent he's given a chance, but he can't make up for the other stuff.

Samanic, Johnson, and Metu will still be irrelevant.

We could easily find ourselves envying the Suns and Hawks next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We like what we have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's the head coach?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash this year, trash next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what OP said, and called it a "solid roster."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get your point but it won’t be exactly the same. They will use Marcos expiring money to give Forbes a bigger contract and they won’t want to pay Poetl what other teams are offering. So it will be the same team minus Marco and Poetl. Which is super gross.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what OP said, and called it a "solid roster."
    It's addition by subtraction. One of Beli or Forbes has to go and it'd be nice if both are gone. Add someone taller than Forbes who is capable of playing defense and instant upgrade.

Walker and Murray will be off the minute restrictions and both will know the system better and be overall improved.

Add a first round pick (likely in the G-League) and that will fill the roster.

And by solid, that was a bad term. I meant it was pretty much set as far as who would be on the team next year. I think it's a better team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as next season goes, it doesn't matter. The Spurs won't play him. Pop's fantasy of drafting Nancy Pelosi could come true and it wouldn't make a goddam bit of difference.
    This part made me laugh. I think obama might be more realistic though as he at least plays BBall. If we drafted him we might get to see Pop start a rookie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's addition by subtraction. One of Beli or Forbes has to go and it'd be nice if both are gone. Add someone taller than Forbes who is capable of playing defense and instant upgrade.

Walker and Murray will be off the minute restrictions and both will know the system better and be overall improved.

Add a first round pick (likely in the G-League) and that will fill the roster.

And by solid, that was a bad term. I meant it was pretty much set as far as who would be on the team next year. I think it's a better team.
    You value several players more than I: LMA, Rudy and Dumbmar. And all 3 will be a year older. Rudy, in particular, is ballast. Plus, I cannot imagine Bryan’s being moved, and I certainly can’t imagine BOTH he and Marco being removed from roster. Derrick and Dijon are not on minutes restrictions NOW. The Old Asshole just refuses to play them together. But until he realizes that Derrick is the PG and Dijon the SG, I don’t think that matters much. Poorly constructed roster, consistently poorly deployed this season will not be much different next season with Pop at the helm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's what a smart front office would do:

1. Tell Pop to retire
    2. Find a new head coach
    3. Don't resign Forbes and Belinelli
    4. Waive Lyles
    5. Trade Carroll and Gay
    6. Gamble on DeRozan to opt in
    7. Try to sign Joe Harris, Bojan Bogdanovic

Here's what the Spurs will do:

1. Beg Pop to coach another season
    2. Resign Bryn Forbes to a 60 million/4-year deal
    3. Supermax DeRozan
    4. Don't sign any free agent at all
    5. Do the same they did this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You value several players more than I: LMA, Rudy and Dumbmar. And all 3 will be a year older. Rudy, in particular, is ballast. Plus, I cannot imagine Bryan’s being moved, and I certainly can’t imagine BOTH he and Marco being removed from roster. Derrick and Dijon are not on minutes restrictions NOW. The Old Asshole just refuses to play them together. But until he realizes that Derrick is the PG and Dijon the SG, I don’t think that matters much. Poorly constructed roster, consistently poorly deployed this season will not be much different next season with Pop at the helm.
    Very odd comment. WTF are you basing my valuation on? You aren't, just making crap up. I've listed out facts. It's fine if you want to swap out players. Don't piss into the wind and then cry about being wet. What are your proposals, be specific. Just saying get rid of players is not specific.

Who TF is Bryan and why would they need to move him? Do you mean Forbes? His contract expires this year. WTF would you move someone next year when their contract is already expired? Do you mean Bryan the waterboy?

Players coming back from knee injuries are on a minute restrictions for a whole freaking year after coming back. Spurs have the stats that doing so drastically reduces the chance for a recurrence. Yes, there have been games where they overplayed. Next year Lonnie can play more minutes per game.

Poorly constructed roster you say, but that's all raging against the storm when you give no proposals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your positions are all out of whack . . .

Bigs: Aldridge, Poeltl, Metu, Eubanks
    Bigs and big wings: Gay, Lyles, Carroll, Samanic
    Wings: DeRozan, Walker IV, Belinelli, Johnson
    Guards: Murray, White, Mills, Forbes, Weatherspoon

Unless DeRozan is willing to opt in to his final year, expect him to be traded, which will probably lead to Aldridge and Gay being traded as well.

Likely to be re-signed: Poeltl and Forbes
    Likely to not be re-signed: Belinelli
    Likely to have team option picked up: Lyles
    Likely to be traded: Carroll

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your positions are all out of whack . . .

Bigs: Aldridge, Poeltl, Metu, Eubanks
    Bigs and big wings: Gay, Lyles, Carroll, Samanic
    Wings: DeRozan, Walker IV, Belinelli, Johnson
    Guards: Murray, White, Mills, Forbes, Weatherspoon

Unless DeRozan is willing to opt in to his final year, expect him to be traded, which will probably lead to Aldridge and Gay being traded as well.

Likely to be re-signed: Poeltl and Forbes
    Likely to not be re-signed: Belinelli
    Likely to have team option picked up: Lyles
    Likely to be traded: Carroll
    Good take.

I think Pop holds the high ground on him opting in. I don't know where other teams are on being able to sign a player for $27+M. If the FO doesn't agree to take back a player for them to make room to sign him, then it becomes a hard thing to do. If Pop wants him, I think DDR has to opt in.

Yeah, I suspect Forbes gets re-signed. Don't like it because of his defense, or lack of it, but it is what it is.

Is Nikola ever coming over? How's his 3? Is he teachable for a 3?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good take.

I think Pop holds the high ground on him opting in. I don't know where other teams are on being able to sign a player for $27+M. If the FO doesn't agree to take back a player for them to make room to sign him, then it becomes a hard thing to do. If Pop wants him, I think DDR has to opt in.

Yeah, I suspect Forbes gets re-signed. Don't like it because of his defense, or lack of it, but it is what it is.

Is Nikola ever coming over? How's his 3? Is he teachable for a 3?
    Why would DeRozan or his agent care what Pop wants? They're going to do what's best for them.

If some sucker is willing to give him 3 years at similar money to what he's currently earning, he'd be a fool not to take it . . . and the Spurs would be even bigger fools than they already are to give him any type of contract.

People seem to think Milutinov will never come over for financial purposes, but other than the fact that they wasted a 1st round pick on him, he's largely irrelevant anyway. Poeltl is more than likely a better version, center is the most over saturated position and he's an archaic type, who'd likely be a matchup dependant backup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get your point but it won’t be exactly the same. They will use Marcos expiring money to give Forbes a bigger contract and they won’t want to pay Poetl what other teams are offering. So it will be the same team minus Marco and Poetl. Which is super gross.
    Might as well be considering who will be the top 3 in MPG. DD/LMA/Firmes

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. I don’t think small ball has many more seasons left before the NBA starts migrating back to being more conventional. In some ways, this new era has made some breakthroughs but at the end of the day, height and size definitely matters in basketball.

Thread Information