Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude just became much more likable in retirement. So much more mellow with a nice sense of humor.
    And a decent aroma, like a brisket.

My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    He was pulled pork after Ara was done with him.

My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    Sup mask s? Lmao guess who doesn’t have to wear one

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono

Still dead?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me check....

Yep, still dead.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Dad Killer tapping that, tbh.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He was a pariah till he augured in, now he's safe to talk about, even fete.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Mountainside 1
    Kobe 0

That's it and that's all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If history repeats, alleged "killer" had a shot to get it done and missed at the buzzer. Upon his arrest he blamed the people around him.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm lazy, don't want to read it. Was Kobe behind this?
    I barely read any either. I found it very su ious that it's a thing now. I think they said it was public knowledge back then in the article; but it certainly wasn't broadcast far and wide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those knees ruined his career. er couldn't even cross over a hill with the help of a helicopter.

Two words for Kobe: Good riddance.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Mountainside 1
    Kobe 0

That's it and that's all
    Was 6’6, but around 5’2 when they found his body.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    all the heathens in this thread y’all know who you are …

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn some people don't believe in karma

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or maybe they do

rapist dies in helicopter crash sounds like karma

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some pretty ed up comments in this thread.

Just gonna bow out of this one jeez...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    never a top10 player all time

goes through a mountain and we all know how that ended up

now every fkn dog puts him in their top10, or they will move aside and allow this clown to take their position in the top10...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this crash is the best thing that could happen to his legacy.. it's gonna last a while then he will slowly disappear from any top 10 list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vanessa Bryant just awarded a 28.85mm settlement on crash pictures. Should ease the pain a little.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. "Karma".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For even the most compe ive athlete, the transition game is never easy. So what drives Kobe Bryant at age 36, as he comes off serious injury and prepares for his 19th NBA season—and all that lies beyond?

BY CHRIS BALLARD

The thick-armed man moves quickly, establishing a perimeter and securing the entryway. This is his seventh year on Kobe Bryant’s overseas security team, and he knows how quickly things can go sideways, especially in China. Once, four years ago in Shandong Province, a guy slept overnight on the roof of a gym, curled in the darkness, and then, when Kobe approached, leaped from a low overhang, yelling, “Kohhhh-beeee!” In one fluid motion Attila Portik—for that is the muscle-bound man’s name, of Hungarian origin—intercepted the crazed fan and hurled him aside, as if bailing out a boat. Another time, the mob breached the perimeter and swarmed in, so close that one ripped out Bryant’s earring. Just a year ago teenagers in Shanghai scaled police cars to get a view. The cops didn’t stop them; they too were trying to see. Now Attila and his counterpart, a buzz-cut L.A. police officer named Robert Lara, insist on metal barricades and use decoy cars. You have not seen hysteria, Attila explains, until you’ve seen Kobe in China.

On this late-July# afternoon, fans have been massing for hours in the humid air outside Jiangwan Stadium, here in the northeast part of Shanghai, amid the high-rises and the smog and the clamor. They arrive wearing Kobe jerseys and shirts that read ring collector and 24 on the floor. They carry poster boards and giant banners. One reads pray for kobe, above a photo of Bryant holding his cracked kneecap. Another reads forever young, with the tagline to the great father, excellent player. Two nearby outdoor basketball courts are polka-dotted with yellow-and-purple #number 24 jerseys—short, skinny Kobes driving on chubby Kobes then passing to wiry, bespectacled Kobes. Nearby, vendors hawk homemade kobe hats and black mamba temporary tattoos. Con uously, no one wears generic Lakers gear. They do not care about the team, only Kobe. He is like a cross between Justin Bieber and Neo from The Matrix.

At 5:45 p.m. the riot cops arrive, wearing helmets and toting shields and long metal poles that end in U-shaped curves wide enough to corral a man’s neck. By 6:30 the street is clogged with gold jerseys. Fans climb lampposts and scramble up trees. Some have tickets for tonight’s event; others will wait more than five hours just to see Kobe walk into a building.

Just after sundown it happens. A black van with tinted windows pulls through the iron gates. The mob, thousands strong, begins pogoing up and down, emitting a guttural noise. Koohhhh-beeee! Kooohhh-bee! The riot cops tense, ready to hold the line. And now Bryant emerges, wearing a white T‑shirt and shorts. This is his ninth visit to China in the last 15 years, but he is still surprised every time he sees the fervor anew. So Bryant waves and moves quickly, striding up the stairs and into the gym, past a row of purple spotlights and two life-size porcelain statues of himself in mid-dunk and into what was once a gymnasium but for the week has been remade by Nike into something that can only be described as a temple, and that is unironically dubbed the House of Mamba.

Is Kobe worshipped in China? Nike’s House of Mamba, complete with life-sized statues, was a virtual temple.
    Chris Ballard/Sports Illustrated
    Striding past the wall-sized rack of purple basketballs, down a hall lined with giant inspirational Kobe quotes and trailed by a team of nearly a dozen handlers, Bryant is directed to a room marked VVIP. There he is outfitted with a microphone headset and transponders on each triceps. In the next three hours he will preside over a bizarre basketball TV show, part American Idol, part Hunger Games, part Terry Gilliam fever dream, that is held on an LED-lit court while Chinese emcees scream in Mandarin and young women weep. And then, at night’s end, Bryant will, to the shock and dismay of his handlers, go off-script and challenge a Chinese teenager to a full-court game of one-on-one on his rebuilt knee and Achilles, footage of which will later leak onto the Web. Afterward a young man in a 24 jersey will leap from the stands and literally prostrate himself in front of Bryant, hands clasped together in prayer to a roundball deity.

And this is only Kobe’s first day in China.

Back in the States, if all goes as planned, Bryant will, a little more than two months from now, jog down a tunnel in Staples Center, acknowledge a cheering crowd and play in his first NBA game since fracturing his left kneecap last Decem#ber. It will mark his 19th season in the league, a career during which time he has won five les and one MVP award, and logged more minutes than all but 12 men in NBA history. Barring any transactional miracles, his most-talented teammates this season will be Carlos Boozer, Jeremy Lin and Julius Randle. Naturally, Bryant is certain that this makeshift crew is capable of greatness. “I hear people say, ‘They don’t have a championship team,’ ” Bryant said a week earlier, while peering out an eighth-floor window at the Beverly Hills Hilton. “Yeah, maybe from your perspective”—and here Bryant pauses, narrows his eyes—“but Boozer does this, Jordan Hill does that, Lin adds that. What’s the best way to put all these pieces together and use them to win? That’s the puzzle to figure out, and if we can figure out that puzzle, we’ll shock a lot of people.” Bryant was at the Hilton on this afternoon to promote an upcoming Showtime do entary, for which he is an executive producer. He’d just finished sitting on a media panel alongside Showtime executive Stephen Espinoza and the film’s director, Gotham Chopra. Almost immediately, a reporter veered off topic and asked about the Lakers’ future. And then about LeBron. Espinoza guy cut off the question, snapping, “You’re not wasting [any more of] our time.” But Bryant waved him off. He understands that people only care about the movie because they care about his career. As he put it, “That’s part of the entire damn story.”
    "All that lies beyond" is him forcing that chopper pilot to fly when the entire LAPD fleet was grounded because of fog that morning. And killing his child.

Thread Information