My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    These Kobe tributes are gonna get old really fast

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Really old...

At least they stopped with the 24 second and 8 second violations, at least I believe they stopped. Those probably should have stopped after Monday’s games. Not every ing team needed to keep doing it. The video tributes and other production type gestures appear to be for teams at their first home game after Sunday. I would assume they’ll stop after all the teams have had a chance to have a home game to share their tributes with their home fans. But I agree that they’re already getting old... and repe ive and unnecessary.

Goodell already said the NFL will do “something” at the Super Bowl. And we all know damn well that All Star weekend is going to be all Kobe all the time the entire weekend, which I have less of a problem with since the game doesn’t matter and you have a large collection of the players all together in the same city and same event to share memories and stories, hugs and cries and laughter with each other. It feels like that’s the more appropriate time and place for all the tribute stuff.

But after ASB, it should all be done. I hope it is done after that. It should get back to just basketball.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really old...

At least they stopped with the 24 second and 8 second violations, at least I believe they stopped. Those probably should have stopped after Monday’s games. Not every ing team needed to keep doing it. The video tributes and other production type gestures appear to be for teams at their first home game after Sunday. I would assume they’ll stop after all the teams have had a chance to have a home game to share their tributes with their home fans. But I agree that they’re already getting old... and repe ive and unnecessary.

Goodell already said the NFL will do “something” at the Super Bowl. And we all know damn well that All Star weekend is going to be all Kobe all the time the entire weekend, which I have less of a problem with since the game doesn’t matter and you have a large collection of the players all together in the same city and same event to share memories and stories, hugs and cries and laughter with each other. It feels like that’s the more appropriate time and place for all the tribute stuff.

But after ASB, it should all be done. I hope it is done after that. It should get back to just basketball.
    There's no way it can be done after the allstar break. Everything the Lakers do this year is going to be in Kobe's shadow, and they're a top 3 team that will likely be going pretty deep into the postseason. It's going to take until after the season for things to become normal again I think. Half the league grew up idolizing the guy and the other half battled him for years, so this sadness around the league probably isn't going away until everyone can get away from basketball for a while this summer.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure if this is true or not so maybe someone here can answer, is it true that the helicopter was only stocked with Sprite because they couldn't get 7up?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure if this is true or not so maybe someone here can answer, is it true that the helicopter was only stocked with Sprite because they couldn't get 7up?
    Maybe that's why they couldn't get 9down.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    There's no way it can be done after the allstar break. Everything the Lakers do this year is going to be in Kobe's shadow, and they're a top 3 team that will likely be going pretty deep into the postseason. It's going to take until after the season for things to become normal again I think. Half the league grew up idolizing the guy and the other half battled him for years, so this sadness around the league probably isn't going away until everyone can get away from basketball for a while this summer.
    Sure it can. I’m not talking about putting a patch on players jerseys. I’m not talking about people mentioning him in post game interviews or continuing to have messages on their shoes written in sharpie. I’m talking about big video productions in pregame or halftime or anything during the games. The 24 second tributes. Sideline reporters only asking Kobe questions. That stuff should stop after All Star break. People still feeling some type of way or having Kobe in the background of everyone’s thoughts the rest of the season will of course continue. But they need to allow the game and the players get back to normal.

Something like a Mamba logo patch on all player jerseys for the rest of the season would make sense, a remembrance and tribute that doesn’t disrupt the games or take away from just playing basketball. Or you know what, have Nike create a Kobe “Mamba Forever” warm-up shirt with all the names of the people who died on the back of the shirt, have them in different team colors of all NBA teams, and then the players can wear them the rest of the season if they want. Something like that.

It’s there but it’s not so in the forefront that it continues to be about the tragedy and not about the games. The grief or thinking about it don’t have to go away. But the disruption to or distraction from the games should.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeMao is going to milk this bad boy dry tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure it can. I’m not talking about putting a patch on players jerseys. I’m not talking about people mentioning him in post game interviews or continuing to have messages on their shoes written in sharpie. I’m talking about big video productions in pregame or halftime or anything during the games. The 24 second tributes. Sideline reporters only asking Kobe questions. That stuff should stop after All Star break. People still feeling some type of way or having Kobe in the background of everyone’s thoughts the rest of the season will of course continue. But they need to allow the game and the players get back to normal.

Something like a Mamba logo patch on all player jerseys for the rest of the season would make sense, a remembrance and tribute that doesn’t disrupt the games or take away from just playing basketball. Or you know what, have Nike create a Kobe “Mamba Forever” warm-up shirt with all the names of the people who died on the back of the shirt, have them in different team colors of all NBA teams, and then the players can wear them the rest of the season if they want. Something like that.

It’s there but it’s not so in the forefront that it continues to be about the tragedy and not about the games. The grief or thinking about it don’t have to go away. But the disruption to or distraction from the games should.
    I agree on that. And also that the All Star Game can be largely dedicated to him. Maybe we'll actually see a decent game for once.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I don't think that's true. It was known that a lot of the young guys looked up to Kobe and looked to him for guidance. Kyrie talked about Kobe's influence a lot, for one. After he hit the shot that brought the le to Cleveland he talked about having that "Mamba mentality" and about how he'd gotten encouragement and advice from Kobe along the way. Kobe was a player's player. Other than maybe Allen Iverson I can't think of a player who was more respected by his peers than Kobe, and it was no secret.
    Carmelo & Kyrie are well revered by their peers (not necessarily teammates) despite their inflated egos. At the end of the day players seem to gravitate towards peers who have giant egos to go along w/ their talent. Meanwhile you have betas like Curry/Snake who get disrespected by their peers no matter their accomplishments, they are viewed as "teacher's pets".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but if you say "Kobe" in San Antonio, everyone knows who that is.

Say "Duncan" in San Antonio, and half of the fat bas s think you're talking about donuts, tbh.
    This is the most moronic post I've ever seen in ST history. And that's saying a LOT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't help mehself.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Good stuff, eva, especially the last paragraph. Bully for you.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The old bumster with the goods.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The old bumster with the goods.
    I still got it!

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    ego ego ego ego

any ing basketball legend would want this honor. Shaq TD Kareem Lebron Hakeem . Anybody would. But since it’s Kobe it’s all about ego.
    Duncan wouldn't want that. Kareem probably wouldn't either.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I thought Jamie's anecdote was succinctly poetic. I'm guessing the tributes will wind down after tomorrow as it will be the first time the Lakers take the court post Kobe's death. It will be interesting to see what the team does to stand out from the tributes shown around the league. I hope that if any Laker fan has the opportunity to make it out to Staples does, or even anyone who loves basketball. While there are those merely there in a FOMO capacity, there are those who will share in pretty good forms of recollection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe just have LeBron in the fetal position at center court and cry for the entire 1st half?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Maybe just have LeBron in the fetal position at center court and cry for the entire 1st half?
    You best bet LeBrat’s goal is to become the greatest mourner of all-time #striveforgreatness

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That's a possibility. Probably Melo will join him since he has been ultra sad as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the most moronic post I've ever seen in ST history. And that's saying a LOT.
    Nah. It's true whether you, I, or anyone else likes it or not.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Legacy is a lard lover, it hit home hard like the chopper

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Something like this with Lebron, Carmelo, CP3 and Paul George (with Kawhi being the dog, laying down of course)

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ego ego ego ego

any ing basketball legend would want this honor. Shaq TD Kareem Lebron Hakeem . Anybody would. But since it’s Kobe it’s all about ego.
    It's worse in Kobe's case because Jerry West is supposed to be a father figure.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No talk of Kobe on first halftime show of TNT broadcast following Kobe's death?

Guess they're moving on already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, just like the skies are red, I suppose.

Thread Information