Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I always liked Kobe in real life. I mean I hated him too, don't get me wrong, but overall really enjoyed watching him play and used to watch his games all the time when I lived in LA. I just talked about him here a lot to piss Laker fans off. But I genuinely feel sick to my ing stomach today. I usually don't give a if a celeb dies but Kobe was such an important part of being a basketball fan and a Spurs fan. I know I couldn't have enjoyed the 2003 le nearly as much if not for the asskicking the Spurs got from him in 2001 for example. I have never hated a player as much as I hated Kobe Bryant in Game 1 of the 2001 WCF, but it made me appreciate it so much more when Tim Duncan was playing around the world at Staples in Game 6 of the 2003 WCSF to pay them back. I watched Kobe play so many great games I can't help but mourn a little at him being killed so young.
    You're not the only one, tbh, the AT&T Center was always packed with Laker stans when they came to town

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not the only one, tbh, the AT&T Center was always packed with Laker stans when they came to town
    off son

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes sir. And I do think if Kobe had picked a different sport or career that Timmy would have at least 7 rings and possibly be considered the GOAT over MJ. Spurs would have undoubtedly won the le in '01 and '02 because there was no other elite compe ion in either conference at that point, and we had Sacramento's number.
    I agree I have felt like that for years if the Lakers weren't around the Spurs would have won 7 or 8. That's the biggest reason I would lose my cool when the spurs lost in '01 and '02 to the Lakers that there was nobody else that could beat them. It was so damn frustrating knowing the Spurs could ring those years but the Lakers were there to stop it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I always liked Kobe in real life. I mean I hated him too, don't get me wrong, but overall really enjoyed watching him play and used to watch his games all the time when I lived in LA. I just talked about him here a lot to piss Laker fans off. But I genuinely feel sick to my ing stomach today. I usually don't give a if a celeb dies but Kobe was such an important part of being a basketball fan and a Spurs fan. I know I couldn't have enjoyed the 2003 le nearly as much if not for the asskicking the Spurs got from him in 2001 for example. I have never hated a player as much as I hated Kobe Bryant in Game 1 of the 2001 WCF, but it made me appreciate it so much more when Tim Duncan was playing around the world at Staples in Game 6 of the 2003 WCSF to pay them back. I watched Kobe play so many great games I can't help but mourn a little at him being killed so young.
    Agreed that's exactly how I feel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't mean it in a bad way, clearly he had a following even in the arch-rival town at the time

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Same. I was always a fan of his, mainly because I thought the whole rape thing was BS. Like you have evidence that the girl basically had a train run on her, but apparently Kobe Bryant is the one she said no to? rofl. So with that being discounted, there's really not much negative you can say about him as a person. Sure he was hyper-compe ive on the court, but that's on his opponent to match his intensity. The guys who didnt back down like Matt Barnes, Stephen Jackson, etc have always said how much they loved playing against him. Off the court, he seemed like a genuinely good guy especially with the media. Always answered questions sincerely without acting above the media like so many athletes do these days

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pretty spot on. He wasn't the best of his era, Duncan and Shaq were, but he was definitely the most beloved. Cant deny that.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    is Thread gonna get his ass in here to roll out the barrels, and have a barrel of fun, tbh?
    Just saw the footage. Helicopter was coming in fast when it just spun out of control and fell from the sky.

Everyone inside knew what was about to happen...The scene inside must have been terrifying during the 10 seconds it took to hit the ground.
    Yes, TD. That's it & that's all.

It's those "seconds" that govern the check amounts that the insurance companies cut.

---

That one against Boston when the end came into view & Bryant put down the game face & the trappings & strove with all of his might for it. He didn't care how it, or, he looked. So human.

& coming back after the rape, grabbing jacks & timbers with Her & starting back down together. Both of 'em. Putting it aside & forging ahead for the vows, for the children, so they wouldn't be cast to the winds-drenched in money.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of people who hero worship Kobe must be crushed today, man.

I just feel bad for the man. World in the palm of his hand n' all.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a person I didn’t know at all personally, this shook me pretty hard. I’ve long been a Kobe fan, lived in LA for the second and third Shaq-Kobe championships. I’m old, already in my 40s, and I haven’t had an emotional reaction to a celebrity death like this since Biggie. No joke, this one hurt me.
    I know what you mean, I was in LA for most of the Shaq-Kobe era and used to watch their games all the time on KCAL9. I have never seen a team win so many games they had no business winning. Games where the other team would do what they want for 43 minutes and then just get completely steamrolled the last five. And yeah, I don't think I have been hit by a celebrity death like today since Eazy-E back in like 94 or 95.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Laker fans be as classy as Spurs fans (besides ElNono ) if this happened to Duncan and not Kobe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Laker fans be as classy as Spurs fans (besides ElNono ) if this happened to Duncan and not Kobe?
    Yeah, that's a no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look at Duncan-Kobe in the sense of the Batman-Joker type of relationship. You can't have the Batman without the Joker and you can't have the Joker without the batman. What made Duncan special to spur fans was illustrated towards their disdain for Kobe. In the eyes of Spur fans Kobe was selfish, arrogant, while Duncan was unselfish,humble,great leader,etc. In the eyes of Laker fans Kobe was charismatic,exciting, tough, while Duncan was boring,dull,ornery, fundamentally sound. I think both players became more likable in the eyes of their own fan bases due to the rivalry. Spur fans loved Duncan even more since he wasn't a diva like Kobe. Laker fans loved Kobe even more since he wasn't dull boring like Duncan.

When I reflect on the Spurs les they wouldn't have felt as good if Kobe never existed. Even the years where the Spurs won it all and didn't play the Lakers it still felt good knowing Duncan was either up in the ring count number against Kobe or tied him. Let's be real the 5th le wouldn't have felt as sweet if it wasn't for the fact that Duncan had tied Kobe at 5 rings. So this is how I appreciate Kobe in the sense that he made Duncan more heroic in my eyes as a Spurs fan. He was the greatest villain ever.

This commercial is one of my favorites. Both Duncan and Kobe super young and before they won their first ring.
    Yeah, they (and Shaq) are forever intertwined like Bird and Magic.

It is gonna be sad and difficult to watch Duncan, Garnett & Bryant enshrined in the Hall of Fame without Bryant there.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron took a helicopter ride to see his son the other day it could've been a lot worse
    A lot of these s gonna think twice about gallivanting all about in their helicopters now.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's those "seconds" that govern the check amounts that the insurance companies cut.

---

That one against Boston when the end came into view & Bryant put down the game face & the trappings & strove with all of his might for it. He didn't care how it, or, he looked. So human.

& coming back after the rape, grabbing jacks & timbers with Her & starting back down together. Both of 'em. Putting it aside & forging ahead for the vows, for the children, so they wouldn't be cast to the winds-drenched in money.
    I've thought about you more than once today Dale. All the trolling and bull aside, condolences. If it was Duncan, I would be ripped to pieces.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a person I didn’t know at all personally, this shook me pretty hard. I’ve long been a Kobe fan, lived in LA for the second and third Shaq-Kobe championships. I’m old, already in my 40s, and I haven’t had an emotional reaction to a celebrity death like this since Biggie. No joke, this one hurt me.

I don’t disparage anyone for jokes or for throwing shade or hate. Over the years, I’ve seen worse things said on these boards. I actually expected more and worse. And death is always tragic, especially to those personally affected. But sometimes celebrity, public figure deaths carry more weight in how many people it reaches. Doesn’t make it any more tragic, only how many people are affected.

But talking seriously for a minute, as much of a sociopath and megalomaniac as he was early on in his career, I do feel like he did grow up over the course of his playing career and post career. He may forever be viewed by some as a s bag for Colorado and the snitching aftermath. But I do believe he not only grew from that, but proactively tried to become a better person for it. Obviously, I don’t know for sure, as I have zero personal insight. But most personal reports indicate he developed into a pretty good dude later on and pretty much everything we read now about him being a good father, a generous mentor to young basketball players, and a determined and ambitious media (not social media, but film and print media) personality relate a different person than the young, arrogant Kobe.

I believe the 2008 Olympics began to paint a different portrait of Kobe, when young stars like LeBron and Wade who may have respected Kobe but viewed him as aloof and weird got to know him on a more personal level. And they started to understand him as a person. And after retirement, Dear Basketball, and his basketball relationship with his daughter, people started to see a different side. But hey, maybe he still was a s bag and sociopath when he went down in the helicopter. As a Kobe fan, I’m hoping he did grow up from young Kobe, Colorado Kobe, snitching Kobe, megalomaniac Kobe.

And I was still sad today.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing that in the cancel culture we live in today, with people having to constantly apologize for things said/done in their past, Kobe is still celebrated the way he is, unblemished. He never had to really answer for Colorado when it happened, or ever again afterwards. After the initial allegations reactions, everyone just started ignoring the elephant in the room. Some even made him more of a hero for going to court and playing basketball at a high level in the same day. Then everyone just moved on and went right back to worshiping him. Women still loved him. But thats the privilege of being a basket star in Hollywood / LA.

Still a sad day, I would never wish death on anyone. It’s sad that he died young. But it’s more sad that his daughter died at 13, and his newborn will never even know her Dad.
    People want simpler, happier outcomes. Returning to how it was. It's human nature.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, despite sport hating Kobe, hit me hard. Live life to the fullest sons, you never know when all ends.
    This shatters a lot of people's world view. Kobe was immortal to a lot of people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's a no

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who thinks "hey its time to troll" with something like this though?
    Not a better opportunity for gots like you to be disingenuous en masse since Princess Di'ed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best thing to happen to his brand, to be perfectly honest.

Cosby, Kelly and Simpson would give what's left of their fortunes to die this way.

Also, unsure if this is related, but vacationing in the Rockies atm, ...but hearing these ominous and eerie chuckles in the background.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WHAT THE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a better opportunity for gots like you to be disingenuous en masse since Princess Di'ed.
    oh ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

---

Boiled down:::

Clinton is no longer the sole duly elected President to be impeached.

Tee hee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still in shock, tbh, and don't know what else to say.

Just don't take the people you love for granted... you never know if they'll still be here tomorrow.

Thread Information