Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was there a bigger possible death than this? Other than Lebron or Tiger. I dont think so. Jordan would've been too old, Manning/Brady not known enough outside USA. Maybe The Rock?
    Messi or Ronaldo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be way bigger imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, TD. That's it & that's all.

It's those "seconds" that govern the check amounts that the insurance companies cut.

---

That one against Boston when the end came into view & Bryant put down the game face & the trappings & strove with all of his might for it. He didn't care how it, or, he looked. So human.

& coming back after the rape, grabbing jacks & timbers with Her & starting back down together. Both of 'em. Putting it aside & forging ahead for the vows, for the children, so they wouldn't be cast to the winds-drenched in money.
    Condolences, Dale.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a better opportunity for gots like you to be disingenuous en masse since Princess Di'ed.
    Huh? Earlier you said people are pretending to be religious now because some find trolling a dead dude is in bad form. Since when do you have to be a religious nut to have common sense and decency? Imo, this is derp level when he spent a whole week mocking the death of McCain. I was against that then as I am now with this. But hey this is ST.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Someone asked if Laker fans would show the same solemnity that most Spurs fans have in this thread if Duncan were to die this tragically. The answer from me is yes, I would. Because both Kobe and Tim will always be mentioned in the same breath because their epic showdowns (Shaq included as well) are forever linked. But as a fellow human who will also face his own mortality one day, it is in my nature to be somber for the loss of someone iconic.

Kobe meant many different things to many people. To me, he was a sports superstar that helped me cope with some of my darkest moments. The Shaq and Kobe duo was the last era my father got to witness as he courageously battled cancer. The few times he was up to it, we'd make the 30 minute trip from Long Beach to Staples to see him and the Diesel ply their athletic prowess on the hardcourt. It is and still remains treasure moments like those that keep the memory of my dad still relevant. While it may sound odd that a sports figure would mean that much to a person, it's the memories that pay more in terms of worth.

He was a part of the lexicon here in Southern California. Sure you can make the argument about his egotistical immaturity and his foolish foray into whatever transpired in Eagle that fateful night. That wasn't the high point in the man's career and it sure can mar anyone's true opinion of him. That's something I wouldn't dissuade from having.

I do know this: For 48 minutes on the hardwood he dazzled and wowed an audience with his talents. It was a pleasure getting to see it first hand and to see what had become of him in the latter part of his career and life outside of basketball. It seemed like he was so involved in the lives of his four daughters that it seemed he had changed in a way that only maturity and the burning of years leads to. One can only hope.

I found out the tragic news as I shopped for groceries about 11am in the morning. It hit me kind of hard. Not because I knew him personally, but just because for the good part of my young adult life he was a constant in my sports fandom. Now that all that remains are memories and the handful of times I saw him in public.

May GiGi Bryant and the 7 others who perished rest in peace as well. The horror of losing children that young vastly outweigh the loss of Kobe. However, losing a parent is not an easy tragedy to overcome either.
    Last edited by The Gemini Method; 01-27-2020 at 11:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Certain figures are larger than life, and you expect them to be around forever, like Bill Russell, so Kobe's death was more shocking than sad to me. But his daughter being on the heli with him and imaging him having to console her in their final moments, is what really hurts to think about. I can't imagine the grief his wife and daughters he left behind are experiencing right now.

On another note, dismissing a celebrity's death because you don't know them personally, is just being purposely obtuse... It ignores the basic empathy that most functioning humans are capable of feeling when they hear about such a tragic death.. then compound that tragic death with the victim being someone youve become familiar with over a 20 year span... and it shouldn't be hard to imagine people will grieve more than usual.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Would be way bigger imo
    Granted they are still playing but you would see suicides

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Certain figures are larger than life, and you expect them to be around forever, like Bill Russell, so Kobe's death was more shocking than sad to me. But his daughter being on the heli with him and imaging him having to console her in their final moments, is what really hurts to think about. I can't imagine the grief his wife and daughters he left behind are experiencing right now.

On another note, dismissing a celebrity's death because you don't know them personally, is just being purposely obtuse... It ignores the basic empathy that most functioning humans are capable of feeling when they hear about such a tragic death.. then compound that tragic death with the victim being someone youve become familiar with over a 20 year span... and it shouldn't be hard to imagine people will grieve more than usual.
    Well put tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I thought Kobe was going to live at least the normal life span of 70-80 years so him dying early to me was shocking considering how he has always been in great shape health wise.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    When I take a step back from sports. I realize many of my favorite sports memories involve where and whom I was with when it occurred. It ultimately is just a game played by others within lines/chalk etc. It isn't as deep as an influential song, art exhibit or film IMO. But yah I'm a sports junkie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ larger than life. I get people relating because they were contemporaries, but we're not talking somebody that brought about world peace or cured cancer. He's 'special' in that he was a top 30 player of all time.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WHAT THE

Dang. Another prophetic helicopter skit.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    lol @ larger than life. I get people relating because they were contemporaries, but we're not talking somebody that brought about world peace or cured cancer. He's 'special' in that he was a top 30 player of all time.
    No one in my family has mentioned anything. Not very connected to American pop culture or athletics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would've guessed that Bill Russell would outlive Kobe Bryant?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would've guessed that Bill Russell would outlive Kobe Bryant?!
    Magic has been HIV-positive since 91 and he's still alive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy Crap!

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Boiled down:::

Clinton is no longer the sole duly elected President to be impeached.

Tee hee.
    That's our penance, our punishment for whooping the dog out of Hillary 3 Novembers ago.

Trump President.
    Not Clinton.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Could not stand him in the 1st half of his career. Thought he was an immature narcissist. But in twillight of his career/life he became very likable.

Cuban retiring his number is the height of stupidity. He will be remembered as the guy who suggested the Lakers amnesty Kobe.

At the end of the day this is really tragic. His 13 y/o daughter never had a chance to live life. And Duncan will be giving his HOF speech without his main rival there. 2 guys who elevated each other's games. This just sucks.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Legacy wise, Kobe and Lebron will always be linked to each other now for as long as LBJ lives.

Lebron, Jordan, Kobe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, TD. That's it & that's all.

It's those "seconds" that govern the check amounts that the insurance companies cut.

---

That one against Boston when the end came into view & Bryant put down the game face & the trappings & strove with all of his might for it. He didn't care how it, or, he looked. So human.

& coming back after the rape, grabbing jacks & timbers with Her & starting back down together. Both of 'em. Putting it aside & forging ahead for the vows, for the children, so they wouldn't be cast to the winds-drenched in money.
    Who’s the tired ole bag now? Who’s donning the bag?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hard to process this event. I was thinking, Kobe's final moments must be harrowing as it finally dawned on him that he couldn't do anything to help his child. This is very bad way to go and no person ever deserves to go through this. As a Spurs fan, I despised him as a basketball player, but Kobe became extremely likeable in the final years of his playing career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elnono insinuated that Kobe somehow deserved to die. What exactly did he ever do that warranted his untimely death?

But i get it, people gotta get it off their chest. they won't say in real life.
    He did not insinuate that tbh.. nono has anger management issues for a while now tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh boy...

That's why I still read dat forum to find gems like that...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's hard to process this event. I was thinking, Kobe's final moments must be harrowing as it finally dawned on him that he couldn't do anything to help his child. This is very bad way to go and no person ever deserves to go through this. As a Spurs fan, I despised him as a basketball player, but Kobe became extremely likeable in the final years of his playing career.
    How’s your wife

Thread Information