Post Count

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Kobe could probably tell you tbh

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Lebron just needs to win this year in honor of Kobe and he will be the unanimous GOAT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the looks of the crash site there were no "final moments" to console anyone in. They hit that mountain at around 150 knots with rotor spinning, they did not have a mechanical failure and drop out of the sky. I'd bet they were almost unaware they were going to die, and then that sudden stop. They were flying in fog, couldn't see , circled for 15 minutes or so and tried to head a different direction due to low visibility. This is the pilot, but the passengers were likely in conversation and not focused too much on it until the end when the pilot suddenly climbed 1000 feet or so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a person I didn’t know at all personally, this shook me pretty hard. I’ve long been a Kobe fan, lived in LA for the second and third Shaq-Kobe championships. I’m old, already in my 40s, and I haven’t had an emotional reaction to a celebrity death like this since Biggie. No joke, this one hurt me.

I don’t disparage anyone for jokes or for throwing shade or hate. Over the years, I’ve seen worse things said on these boards. I actually expected more and worse. And death is always tragic, especially to those personally affected. But sometimes celebrity, public figure deaths carry more weight in how many people it reaches. Doesn’t make it any more tragic, only how many people are affected.

But talking seriously for a minute, as much of a sociopath and megalomaniac as he was early on in his career, I do feel like he did grow up over the course of his playing career and post career. He may forever be viewed by some as a s bag for Colorado and the snitching aftermath. But I do believe he not only grew from that, but proactively tried to become a better person for it. Obviously, I don’t know for sure, as I have zero personal insight. But most personal reports indicate he developed into a pretty good dude later on and pretty much everything we read now about him being a good father, a generous mentor to young basketball players, and a determined and ambitious media (not social media, but film and print media) personality relate a different person than the young, arrogant Kobe.

I believe the 2008 Olympics began to paint a different portrait of Kobe, when young stars like LeBron and Wade who may have respected Kobe but viewed him as aloof and weird got to know him on a more personal level. And they started to understand him as a person. And after retirement, Dear Basketball, and his basketball relationship with his daughter, people started to see a different side. But hey, maybe he still was a s bag and sociopath when he went down in the helicopter. As a Kobe fan, I’m hoping he did grow up from young Kobe, Colorado Kobe, snitching Kobe, megalomaniac Kobe.

And I was still sad today.
    Kobe's yoga instructor was doing the rounds on news networks yesterday. He was mentioning how Kobe reached out to him and wanted to pick up yoga. Not so much for the physical benefits, but more for the mental benefits. He said Kobe had a lot of regrets that he wanted to put behind him. That he would constantly ask how he could be a kinder, more helpful person. That really hit me. It showed just how much that bas from back in those early days grew.

And he did grow - a lot. You could see it in his interviews lately. Soft spoken, happy, usually during events he was sponsoring. He was on the top of the world, finally about to enjoy the legacy he created, barely in his 40s, with his daughter who was clearly ready to pick up whatever basketball legacy he left - and then they both came crashing down to Earth, probably in a lot of fear (at least I hope not), and would never enjoy it again. That's what really hit me. Not just the suddenness of it...but the tragedy of it all. It hurt.

Tbh, my Kobe trashing days are over.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    choppa was flying really low when they hit a mountain. it’s a quick death.

https://youtu.be/28QYy8lrww8y

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The “Win it for Kobe” narrative will be strong. The Lakers already get plenty of assistance from the refs, after this it’s almost a guarantee they’ll ring.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The “Win it for Kobe” narrative will be strong. The Lakers already get plenty of assistance from the refs, after this it’s almost a guarantee they’ll ring.
    Agreed tbh it’ll be even worse than the ref assistance the 2012 Ravens got on the Ray Lewis Deer Antler Spray Retirement Tour.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    From the looks of the crash site there were no "final moments" to console anyone in. They hit that mountain at around 150 knots with rotor spinning, they did not have a mechanical failure and drop out of the sky. I'd bet they were almost unaware they were going to die, and then that sudden stop. They were flying in fog, couldn't see , circled for 15 minutes or so and tried to head a different direction due to low visibility. This is the pilot, but the passengers were likely in conversation and not focused too much on it until the end when the pilot suddenly climbed 1000 feet or so.
    I agree. It looks like the pilot lost his bearings and didn't realize that they were about to hit the side of a mountain. Only thing we can hope for is they didn't realize anything was wrong and the sudden impact killed them all instantly with no suffering.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Tbh no but it is kinda surreal once you realize that a figure you saw on ESPN pretty much every other day for over a decade who you used to dread watching your team play against is suddenly gone like that. It’s not even about Kobe/sports/etc, to me it’s a pretty big reality check on how fragile life is more than anything else.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I agree. It looks like the pilot lost his bearings and didn't realize that they were about to hit the side of a mountain. Only thing we can hope for is they didn't realize anything was wrong and the sudden impact killed them all instantly with no suffering.
    The pilot should have never flown the helicopter that day too begin with, those weren’t even close to safe conditions.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    They'll have home court

They'll have a friendly whistle

They'll have Lebron in his Extra High Motivation gear for the first time since 2016

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone asked if Laker fans would show the same solemnity that most Spurs fans have in this thread if Duncan were to die this tragically. The answer from me is yes, I would. Because both Kobe and Tim will always be mentioned in the same breath because their epic showdowns (Shaq included as well) are forever linked. But as a fellow human who will also face his own mortality one day, it is in my nature to be somber for the loss of someone iconic.
    I get it man. Kobe is an inextricable part of being a Spurs fan in that era too. Gonna feel really weird not seeing Kobe there with Tim at the HOF induction this year. That was going to be such a great celebration of that era but now it's going to be lots of sadness watching that. Really different personalities and games but that drive to always improve and the love for the game really linked Tim and Kobe. Those early years too I used to love watching the Allstar games just to see what it looked like seeing Kobe and Tim play on the same team. But I'm glad they never did for real, it was so much better seeing them have to go through each other.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Tbh no but it is kinda surreal once you realize that a figure you saw on ESPN pretty much every other day for over a decade who you used to dread watching your team play against is suddenly gone like that. It’s not even about Kobe/sports/etc, to me it’s a pretty big reality check on how fragile life is more than anything else.
    I remember in 2011 when the Mavs went up 3-0 on the Lakers, and Kobe said “I may be sick in the head but I still think we’re gonna win this series” I believed him 100 percent. Wasn’t until the 4th quarter when the Lakers basically quit that I actually thought Dallas would win the series.

Billy Bob
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pilot should have never flown the helicopter that day too begin with, those weren’t even close to safe conditions.
    It's possible Kobe and the other rich parents onboard pressured the pilot to just fly. The guy in fear of possibly loosing his job took a deadly risk that ended up taking the life of his employer and himself. Sometimes rich famous people are not in a right state of mind. Rip Kobe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, sucks to be a Laker fan tbh. Finally crawling out of the basement after several years only to have your franchise idol die tragically.

Too soon and all that but I'm putting that futures bet on the Lakers ASAP as the league is pretty much going to do their best to make sure they ring this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everybody I grew up with (close friends, family, etc.) pretty much idolized Bryant. Pretty surreal being around them processing the news. , even hit me hard and I hated the guy but the stuff with his daughter (and all the passengers + kids) just make it so f'n tragic tbh.

Just a really weird feeling in SoCal today tbh. Def palpable.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It's possible Kobe and the other rich parents onboard pressured the pilot to just fly. The guy in fear of possibly loosing his job took a deadly risk that ended up taking the life of his employer and himself. Sometimes rich famous people are not in a right state of mind. Rip Kobe.
    Probably also was a route the pilot took dozens of times before, so he got overconfident that he could make the trip with no issues.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    For a person I didn’t know at all personally, this shook me pretty hard. I’ve long been a Kobe fan, lived in LA for the second and third Shaq-Kobe championships. I’m old, already in my 40s, and I haven’t had an emotional reaction to a celebrity death like this since Biggie. No joke, this one hurt me.

I don’t disparage anyone for jokes or for throwing shade or hate. Over the years, I’ve seen worse things said on these boards. I actually expected more and worse. And death is always tragic, especially to those personally affected. But sometimes celebrity, public figure deaths carry more weight in how many people it reaches. Doesn’t make it any more tragic, only how many people are affected.

But talking seriously for a minute, as much of a sociopath and megalomaniac as he was early on in his career, I do feel like he did grow up over the course of his playing career and post career. He may forever be viewed by some as a s bag for Colorado and the snitching aftermath. But I do believe he not only grew from that, but proactively tried to become a better person for it. Obviously, I don’t know for sure, as I have zero personal insight. But most personal reports indicate he developed into a pretty good dude later on and pretty much everything we read now about him being a good father, a generous mentor to young basketball players, and a determined and ambitious media (not social media, but film and print media) personality relate a different person than the young, arrogant Kobe.

I believe the 2008 Olympics began to paint a different portrait of Kobe, when young stars like LeBron and Wade who may have respected Kobe but viewed him as aloof and weird got to know him on a more personal level. And they started to understand him as a person. And after retirement, Dear Basketball, and his basketball relationship with his daughter, people started to see a different side. But hey, maybe he still was a s bag and sociopath when he went down in the helicopter. As a Kobe fan, I’m hoping he did grow up from young Kobe, Colorado Kobe, snitching Kobe, megalomaniac Kobe.

And I was still sad today.
    I get where you are coming from. It's kinda the same for me. This hit me quite hard, much more than I expected.

I am 36 now, and I grew up watching Dirk and cheering for him to win that elusive ring. Yet, all that time, Kobe, just like Ducan, was somehow always there. Their primes are essentially in the same period. I expected all these guys to somehow still be there when I grew old, and to speak more frankly about the game and how they saw it. I was indeed enjoying Kobe's post-career interviews, how honest he seemed, and how eager to also talk about other sports and subjects.

This is no way to go out man...

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yep worlds greatest Fake Laker Fan Chimes in with Club/Political Forum Bull . Proving how much of a Fake Lakers Fan he was(and everybody knew) over the years here.

Come on now "Dale" confess.

You've allays been an Arpaio, is he an uncle, great uncle, your grand pappy? Is he YOU?

Allays struck me how He(YOU?) look like Dan Aykroyd as Judge Alvin in Nothing But Trouble.
    I never defend my fandom. It's my religion.

---

Absolutely on Arpaio.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yes, I can see it. It's so (American) to brazen it out, though I don't see the "rich" angle. To eschew caution, to dismiss (it/warnings) out-of-hand..."just fly."
    Then the warning bells out of the pit start in.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ill

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I'm sorry Thread. I'm sick about it, truly.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm sorry Thread. I'm sick about it, truly.
    It is awful, the inclusion of his daughter & the other child just makes it impossible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is awful, the inclusion of his daughter & the other child just makes it impossible.
    The other names have come out. It was Kobe, Gigi, two of Gigi's friends including the two parents of one and the mother of the other, and the pilot. So, 3 kids, 9 people in total.

Just ing tragic.

Thread Information