Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop: There’s more to life than basketball.

Pop still coaching at 70 years old. smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    last i'll say, pop drafted players playing in europe because they had less of an ego / less sense of entîtlement... who in the past 20 years had a bigger ego and more of a sense of entîtlement than kobe?

people were enamored by kobe cause buckets did kobe score 81 once? yeah. lakers went on to lose in the first round of the POs that year.
    Preaching to the choir.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm actually surprised how hard this hit ST. but i'm not saying any of you are wrong for feeling any type of way.

i've never been a kobe fan and i'm not one just because he died. gone too soon? okay... but so are a lot of other people. like his daughter. i actually feel bad for the loss of his daughter. but kobe? dude was a multimillionaire living the dream. i don't feel bad for him tbh, and i'll miss him even less.
    I always hated Kobe the player and not looking forward to this tragedy inevitably leading to people overrating him even more.

But he was undoubtedly a huge part of my childhood as a Spurs fan. It's sad to see a part of your childhood gone just like that and it really makes you realize how fragile life is. That even someone larger than life can be gone in an instant. I think that's what hits hard since it's not like we knew Kobe personally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always hated Kobe the player and not looking forward to this tragedy inevitably leading to people overrating him even more.

But he was undoubtedly a huge part of my childhood as a Spurs fan. It's sad to see a part of your childhood gone just like that and it really makes you realize how fragile life is. That even someone larger than life can be gone in an instant. I think that's what hits hard since it's not like we knew Kobe personally.
    That sums it up nicely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can die driving a car too. That really doesn't change things. Kobe been using the helicopter for most of his career and living in LA it makes sense since you don't have to worry about traffic. It's just when your number gets called you gotta go, no matter who or where you are
    Yeah, I'm mostly just searching for something to blame in the wake of a tragedy, which is a normal psychological response. If I may try to rationalize it, cars are also an archaic technology, and I'm aware that they cause more deaths than any other type of vehicle - but at least with cars, you can survive the failure of a critical component. If you blow out a tire, for example, you might die, but your chances of surviving are still better than chance (especially with modern cars with autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, etc). If a critical component fails in a helicopter, your chance of dying instantly jumps to greater than 50%, if nothing else due to the fact that you're in the sky and gravity itself is a weapon against you.

I'm not even personally connected with Kobe, but if I was, I would never settle with "it was just his time to go." that. His death could have been avoided, and I want to find out exactly how and why it happened, and possibly help other people in the future avoid the same demise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron took Kobe's spot in all time scoring, and a day later Kobe takes LeBron's spot after Jordan as greatest of all time. And without even lifting a basketball...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron took Kobe's spot in all time scoring, and a day later Kobe takes LeBron's spot after Jordan as greatest of all time. And without even lifting a basketball...
    I mean you get on Twitter and you have players talking about changing the logo to Kobe or retiring number 24 league wide. I get that he was his generation's most iconic/beloved player (not the best that was Timmy)...but it's like come on bro. Not trying to be insensitive but let's also not rewrite history either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm mostly just searching for something to blame in the wake of a tragedy, which is a normal psychological response. If I may try to rationalize it, cars are also an archaic technology, and I'm aware that they cause more deaths than any other type of vehicle - but at least with cars, you can survive the failure of a critical component. If you blow out a tire, for example, you might die, but your chances of surviving are still better than chance (especially with modern cars with autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, etc). If a critical component fails in a helicopter, your chance of dying instantly jumps to greater than 50%, if nothing else due to the fact that you're in the sky and gravity itself is a weapon against you.

I'm not even personally connected with Kobe, but if I was, I would never settle with "it was just his time to go." that. His death could have been avoided, and I want to find out exactly how and why it happened, and possibly help other people in the future avoid the same demise.
    Agreed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean you get on Twitter and you have players talking about changing the logo to Kobe or retiring number 24 league wide. I get that he was his generation's most iconic/beloved player (not the best that was Timmy)...but it's like come on bro. Not trying to be insensitive but let's also not rewrite history either.
    Bruh, this is today’s instant gratification me generation reflecting Kobe’s selfish mentality.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

i appreciate your post and we have a lot in common.

growing up, i hated shaq more than i hated kobe. looking back, i'm glad i was smart enough to hate the person who had the larger impact.

later on, while they were both still playing, i was able to see that shaq was the team player and i stopped hating shaq. i never stopped hating kobe. never because of his winning but his play style.

the mortality thing i get, i was surprised this morning. it felt weird. but i hate how people are reacting like this was a terrorist attack. families are still getting separated at the border... there are larger issues...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i've been seeing way too much "change the nba logo to kobe"

cause he died? where was this call yesterday??? SMH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously I am not a fan. But many of my friends were. I'm empathic to their feelings. I get it, I watched him for most of his career, rooting against him. That man is now dead with his daughter.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

wouldnt surprise me if they did it. I am pretty sure a lot of teams will retire his number aswell. I am shocked the Spurs weren't the first one to jump on to that one.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Of course his death could have been prevented more will come out on what went wrong with the helicopters engine and how much the weather conditions, having 9 people on board had to do with the chopper crashing. He also loved taking his helicopter places so I hope it was well maintained. If he didn't love flying in choppers everywhere he would likely be alive right now his daughter and the other people on the chopper. They were just headed to a game on it, so tragic and sad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    More details coming out the Pilot knew about the Fog and was flying at a low al ude to avoid it so he must have hit a patch of fog and had no visibility, lost control of the chopper and they flew it into the ground and crashed, chopper exploded. Makes the most sense other than mechanical failure of the chopper. They shouldn't have been taking that chopper out if they knew there was fog. I have seen car accidents happen in front of me from driving in dense fog through the years, I can't imagine the reaction time you would have flying a helicopter in a foggy patch flying at a low al ude. Poor decision to fly that chopper out in it. Tragic and sad but they knew about the fog and it could have been prevented.
    Last edited by Chillen; 01-27-2020 at 04:59 AM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo. I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm actually surprised how hard this hit ST. but i'm not saying any of you are wrong for feeling any type of way.

i've never been a kobe fan and i'm not one just because he died. gone too soon? okay... but so are a lot of other people. like his daughter. i actually feel bad for the loss of his daughter. but kobe? dude was a multimillionaire living the dream. i don't feel bad for him tbh, and i'll miss him even less.
    His daughter to me is far worse yes absolutely. Just 13 years of age. And the other people on board as well. It’s true he did get to live out his dream. Sadly his daughter did not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More details coming out the Pilot knew about the Fog and was flying at a low al ude to avoid it so he must have hit a patch of fog and had no visibility, lost control of the chopper and they flew it into the ground and crashed, chopper exploded. Makes the most sense other than mechanical failure of the chopper. They shouldn't have been taking that chopper out if they knew there was fog. I have seen car accidents happen in front of me from driving in dense fog through the years, I can't imagine the reaction time you would have flying a helicopter in a foggy patch flying at a low al ude. Poor decision to fly that chopper out in it. Tragic and sad but they knew about the fog and it could have been prevented.
    More details obviously will come out. People need to have less ego and more common sense about these things when it comes to flying. If the conditions are dangerous you simply don’t do it. No appointment is worth risking your life and the life of others like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple kids dead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I get that, but statistically flying is way safer than driving

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hated that he played for the Lakers and kicked our ass so much, because if he had been in any other uniform he would've been one of the non-Spurs that I actively rooted for. After a shaky start in terms of maturity, he ended up being a pretty stand-up good guy and seemingly a good father. He probably had a lot more to give the game.
    Same, 3 peat Kobe was actually fun to watch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple kids dead
    two

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They will do something. League will make sure the rest of the season is basically dedicated to him. He was iconic, and inspired a lot of the players today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple kids dead
    Yeah it is awful. And it sounds like they never should have take off.. Conditions were bad..

"Visibility in the region was so poor at the time of the crash, which occurred shortly before 10 a.m. in Calabasas, that the Los Angeles police and county sheriff’s departments had grounded their helicopters"

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...icopter-safety

Thread Information