Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm currently got 250K cash sitting in a money market account earning 1.31% APR. Not very good, but better than nothing. I get about 300 free bucks a month, not terrible.

I'm just waiting for the coming recession so I can buy some tech stock and RE/fix and flips.
    Really doesn't makes sense to leave that amount of cash on the sidelines waiting for something that doesn't seem likely anytime soon. You could scale your buys into an index etf over time with half of that money and do much better. You would still have plenty of cash to avg down if the market did tank and you got caught in it.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Really doesn't makes sense to leave that amount of cash on the sidelines waiting for something that doesn't seem likely anytime soon. You could scale your buys into an index etf over time with half of that money and do much better. You would still have plenty of cash to avg down if the market did tank and you got caught in it.
    yeah vanguard S&P index funds have done really well since Trump got in, but that's the problem, they've done really well and that won't last forever

if bernie gets in and the economy tanks, invest about 6-9 months after the first crash point... historically that's roughly the rock bottom.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I'm currently got 250K cash sitting in a money market account earning 1.31% APR. Not very good, but better than nothing. I get about 300 free bucks a month, not terrible.

I'm just waiting for the coming recession so I can buy some tech stock and RE/fix and flips.
    A hefty percent of that imaginary money should be invested in dividend stocks.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah vanguard S&P index funds have done really well since Trump got in, but that's the problem, they've done really well and that won't last forever

if bernie gets in and the economy tanks, invest about 6-9 months after the first crash point... historically that's roughly the rock bottom.
    I think even if Bernie wins any pullback would just be a buying opportunity. I believe every recession has been preceded by the Fed raising rates and/or high oil prices. So I am watching the fed & oil to decide when/if to start moving money out of the market. I do read the bearish view regularly but I haven't found any that make a convincing recession case in the near term at least.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Or high yield income with monthly dividends invested into growth funds/etf's. That's what I do in our tax deferred accounts. I only trade individual stocks, stick with funds/etf's for long term strategy.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I think even if Bernie wins any pullback would just be a buying opportunity. I believe every recession has been preceded by the Fed raising rates and/or high oil prices. So I am watching the fed & oil to decide when/if to start moving money out of the market. I do read the bearish view regularly but I haven't found any that make a convincing recession case in the near term at least.
    Historical analytics. Prosperity without at least a mild to moderate recession (not 2008-2010 standard, but at least somewhat) has never gone on longer than about 10-12 years, and usually on the low end of that.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Or high yield income with monthly dividends invested into growth funds/etf's. That's what I do in our tax deferred accounts. I only trade individual stocks, stick with funds/etf's for long term strategy.
    Tax deferred is IRS regulated to a teeny tiny amount though. Most of it you have to put in your after tax dollars for.

It's better to put cash into S&P index funds and let them grow and not have to pay taxes on it until you get it out. So you can choose how much you can pull out and pay net income taxes on. Of course it's in addition to whatever you make that year in W2 money. So it might be cool to take a year off work and just live off 1099 stuff.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    My tax finance friend says that some times people that get a lot of hefty dividends don't end up getting their tax statements until June. The IRS deadline is April 15th. I'm not about the 1040X life, not stressing half the year about taxes. I'm always done by early February every year, kthxbye.

by the way... I just had to pay the IRS $6K this week right about on the nose.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    My tax finance friend says that some times people that get a lot of hefty dividends don't end up getting their tax statements until June. The IRS deadline is April 15th. I'm not about the 1040X life, not stressing half the year about taxes. I'm always done by early February every year, kthxbye.

You actually have three years to file your taxes.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I just file extension every year.

Not making money because of taxes...good plan.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah... I'm not going to lose money on inflation because I'm scared of the recession boogie-man. Rule of thumb - don't put money in the market you're planning on spending in the next five years. If you're saving longer than that, or if it's a retirement account, fire away. I invest every month.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Yeah... I'm not going to lose money on inflation because I'm scared of the recession boogie-man. Rule of thumb - don't put money in the market you're planning on spending in the next five years. If you're saving longer than that, or if it's a retirement account, fire away. I invest every month.
    I'm planning on buying a house to live in - (with cash, not a mortgage, that, been there done that and it sucks) - when the recession hits and prices dip, so I can't put my thumb on how many years I would want to wait before spending my big money.

A lot will be easier for me financially when the recession does hit. I'll have a ton saved up when others will be broke and foreclosing. It'll be a great spot for me to become a multi millionaire once the economy rebounds from that.

Inflation is 2-3% and interest rates are 1.3-1.5%, so you may lose a few hundred bucks a year, but it's peanuts compared to what you could make if you invest bigtime when things are down.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    You actually have three years to file your taxes.
    if you file late, assuming you owe and aren't getting a refund - you likely start accruing heavy interest and penalties after April 15th of the year after the tax year in question. Not worth it IMO.

I just file extension every year.

Not making money because of taxes...good plan.
    File extension... how much does that cost? And does the IRS not get su ious about that if you do it more than once?

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    if you file late, assuming you owe and aren't getting a refund - you likely start accruing heavy interest and penalties after April 15th of the year after the tax year in question. Not worth it IMO.

File extension... how much does that cost? And does the IRS not get su ious about that if you do it more than once?
    No stipulations like that. I know someone who routinely files after three years.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    No stipulations like that. I know someone who routinely files after three years.
    they must withhold a ton then. Maybe they're one of those 1099 people who pay quarterly or at least semi-annually during the calendar year-of to avoid having a big lump-sum tax bill for that year.

Because if you owe that means you likely under-withheld, and if you owe then interest and penalties start accruing on that money on the first business day after april 15th traditionally.

Spurs Fan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

And that mentality has cost you to miss this historic run. Look into ticket VYM - at least get yourself some dividend and value stocks.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    And that mentality has cost you to miss this historic run. Look into ticket VYM - at least get yourself some dividend and value stocks.
    I didn't earn it until recently

Spurs Fan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    OK, I apologize for making assumptions then. I do think you should look into SCHV and VYM.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    they must withhold a ton then. Maybe they're one of those 1099 people who pay quarterly or at least semi-annually during the calendar year-of to avoid having a big lump-sum tax bill for that year.

Because if you owe that means you likely under-withheld, and if you owe then interest and penalties start accruing on that money on the first business day after april 15th traditionally.
    Just a regular school teacher; nothing fancy.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My cpa doesn't charge me at all. I've been doing it every year for probably 15 years. IRS doesn't care as long as they get paid. They can charge you interest if you underpay by a lot.

Seriously bad plan you have though. Most recessions are just a blip even if you could predict them.

There's countless investment strategies and they all involve the power of time and compounding. Not sitting around waiting for the perfect moment.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Just a regular school teacher; nothing fancy.
    Public school teacher puts him in the general salary/income range that is almost, almost never audited. Makes sense. He probably is eligible for refunds, especially since the 2017 tax bill made the standard deductions 12K (single) and 24K (married filing jointly). So it is the IRS, not him, which gets the free zero-interest loan for three years. Got it.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Public school teacher puts him in the general salary/income range that is almost, almost never audited. Makes sense. He probably is eligible for refunds, especially since the 2017 tax bill made the standard deductions 12K (single) and 24K (married filing jointly). So it is the IRS, not him, which gets the free zero-interest loan for three years. Got it.
    She has paid back taxes many times she claims. I'm only going off her word, but I'm not convinced she is lying. I dunno; just saying. I never cared to look it up, cos I don't need more things to procrastinate on.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seriously bad plan you have though. Most recessions are just a blip even if you could predict them.

There's countless investment strategies and they all involve the power of time and compounding. Not sitting around waiting for the perfect moment.
    This. Sitting around trying to time the market is a fool's game. You could single out any 5-7 year period in the stock market's history, including the great depression and 2008 recession, and the market has always gone up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    How recently? Just from the start of last year there has been an amazing run in the market.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    This. Sitting around trying to time the market is a fool's game. You could single out any 5-7 year period in the stock market's history, including the great depression and 2008 recession, and the market has always gone up.
    huh? was it higher in 1933 than 1928? was it higher in 2012 than 2007?

Thread Information