My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...nuary-27-2020/

tl;dr: Another fourth quarter collapse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really shocking how bad the offense looked. Murray, Lyles, and Forbes came the Spurs nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t get not playing Beli in a game we desperately needed some movement on offense.

overall such a frustrating season, so many games that are seemingly impossible to lose yet they find a way every time...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Future (Lonnie, Murray, Metu, White): total 5-16, -19.

Grades: bench the vets, play the Future.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still loving the Grades, TIMVP. I visit the page frequently until they’re posted. Thanks again

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm really glad you mentioned Poeltl's minutes. 36 minutes is a lot for a big man (especially) who hasn't been getting big minutes. If Pop had been starting the same SL all season that finished last season, a lot of things would be different.

It's probably also worth mentioning that the 4th quarter "collapse" was a defensive breakdown. The problem wasn't that the Spurs scored 24 points - it was that they gave up a 35 point quarter to the Bulls. These other teams aren't getting stronger offensively late in the game.

I don't have to spell all that out. Sooner or later, everyone here is going to have to admit that most of this comes down to Pop. If you believe that Pop gets the last word in personnel decisions (I do), then just about all of it comes down to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. Again F for Pop for letting this get away. With 10 points lead in the 4th, all Spurs need is clamp on the defense and bring it home. But yet again, Pop played cute with inserting Forbes for Lonnie and all broke loose. Lavine started working on traffic cone for a 22-6 run. Subs uting Mills for Forbes was the same. One word, DEFENSE. With the lead, why can’t Pop rely on D instead of trying to outscore with a short lineup? Spurs used to hang their hat on D. What happened to that? That’s how I fell in love with watching “boring” Spurs, because by the end of the day, they win on D. Way after I moved to LA, my team plays D against these chuckers. Why change. Their personnel is not built to outscore. But they have long athletic guards who can stop the penetration, closeout, switch on anyone. They have Demar and Aldridge who can score on anyone. This team is built on slow grind, and running transition offense after a big stop, picking defenders with Demar/Aldridge. Stop trying to outscore. Offense follows defense. This team has a potential of making a very good defensive team, and yet time and again we let the other team get back in the 4th after playing good 3 quarters. I rather Spurs lose playing good D, than seeing short hand Forbes faking a closeout. Commit to playing D and good things would come.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game pretty much sums up DeRozan’s career. He produces but when it’s money time, he comes up small. This is why he can’t be your number one option.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a pattern...

forbes starts- spurs lose ground...

forbes sits

spurs surge ahead

somewhere at the end of the 3rd qtr/early 4th qtr- pop benches lonnie with spurs ahead by 8-10 pts-

for his son Forbes

results in a loss....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, the Spurs were at a massive coaching disadvantage playing against the Bulls

The 4th qtr slide (just like with many, many games this season) all began when Lonnie was subbed out early for a mistake and in came that POS Bryn......

Not complaining at all anymore of course since this team is going to be bounced from playoff contention very soon and we can see some real change this offseason starting with that garbage coach finally calling it quits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game pretty much sums up DeRozan’s career. He produces but when it’s money time, he comes up small. This is why he can’t be your number one option.
    Demar is a better version of Melo. Yeah the stats looks great, but is he really helping your basketball team in the big picture, or holding you back from moving on?

It’s just empty numbers and a non-understanding of the game within the game.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Some Beli could have been useful. D to Pop for not using all his tools during the fourth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure what to think about where murray should be in the rotation at this point. also, his play as of late has suddenly created a sudden shift in where the spurs would need to go with the draft. for all the guards we've selected over the past few years, we're still not sure what the spurs have in any of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a pattern...

forbes starts- spurs lose ground...

forbes sits

spurs surge ahead

somewhere at the end of the 3rd qtr/early 4th qtr- pop benches lonnie with spurs ahead by 8-10 pts-

for his son Forbes

results in a loss....

Spurs were up 10 when Pop reinserted Forbes in the 4th quarter. I turned to the person next to me and said "Forbes is back in...watch the momentum die...we'll probably lose." Sure enough, the lead evaporated and we lost all momentum, Chicago got confident and that was that. Of course that's too easily predictable for anyone who has watched this same pattern repeat itself game after game after fvcking game.

Luckily DeRozan willed us back in it at the end, and White made two great defensive plays down the stretch otherwise we lose by 10. Pop got out-coached by Boylen, but that's also the norm lately...watching opposing coaches out-think us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is not a starter in this league. I doubt he'd make many teams' rosters, TBH. Murray is probably not a point guard at this point either. Walker needs more burn.

This team needs to make a couple of moves. It needs an injection of life if there is any aspirations of making the post season, otherwise I think this ship is going to sink.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure what to think about where murray should be in the rotation at this point. also, his play as of late has suddenly created a sudden shift in where the spurs would need to go with the draft. for all the guards we've selected over the past few years, we're still not sure what the spurs have in any of them.
    He should be at the 2 instead of Forbes. The worst thing about this season has been Pop not playing the obviously better-upside lineups at all, leading to us not having a clear picture of how the core can coexist with each other. Can DJ-DW learn to overcome their seemingly offensive deficit by setting each other up for spot up shots? Can Lonnie feed off White's passes in transition, or run-and-gun with DJ grabbing the boards and bringing it up? We just don't know, because they haven't been given the chance. And on the seldom times they are played together, it's usually way too late, with the game on the line or the Spurs already in an insurmountable deficit, with zero room for mistakes or growing pains. How are players supposed to blossom in such an environment?

I'd be really disappointed to see the Spurs draft a guard this off-season. In the best case scenario that we trade LMA and DD for picks, Jakob should be able to cover most C minutes next season (of course we'd need a backup in Eubanks or else, but I wouldn't waste a lottery or near lottery pick there); we're much thinner at the 3 and 4, since Luka looks a year away still and even then would probably come off the bench his first season. Keldon ideally should play the backup 2 or 3 as well, leaving the starting SF and PF up for grabs. If we pick near the top, the Spurs should expect immediate production from their pick, instead of the usual 2 year projects. This of course is a pipe dream at this point...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Future (Lonnie, Murray, Metu, White): total 5-16, -19.

Grades: bench the vets, play the Future.
    Metu and Lonnie played 11 and 14 minutes so i don't know why they are in your comment but murray and white were bad.

The only good player yesterday was your favorite spurs demar derozan, Mills and Poetl were not bad too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These three losses are really bad for any hopes the Spurs were going to play more than 82 games this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White 0 points. B-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad grades are bad.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were up 10 when Pop reinserted Forbes in the 4th quarter. I turned to the person next to me and said "Forbes is back in...watch the momentum die...we'll probably lose." Sure enough, the lead evaporated and we lost all momentum, Chicago got confident and that was that. Of course that's too easily predictable for anyone who has watched this same pattern repeat itself game after game after fvcking game.

Luckily DeRozan willed us back in it at the end, and White made two great defensive plays down the stretch otherwise we lose by 10. Pop got out-coached by Boylen, but that's also the norm lately...watching opposing coaches out-think us.
    yup

i think i posted the same thing in frustration a few games ago...

pretty much the same complaint- that as I watched the game - i was pretty much into the game thinking they would win-
    then as soon as pop threw his tantrum at a lonnie mistake

and

inserted Forbes immediately-
    i lost interest and only half-watched the ending and KNOWING they would lose...

they did.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup

pretty much the same complaint- that as I watched the game - i was pretty much into the game thinking they would win-

and

they did.
    As soon as popovich subbed Forbes in for Walker in the 4th quarter (with the Spurs having a 10 point lead), I posted "go bulls go". And sure enough, the bulls immediately took control of the game and won it.

Another loss that can be directly attributed to popovich's poor coaching/decision making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point I trust cutewizard with the team more than Pop tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As soon as popovich subbed Forbes in for Walker in the 4th quarter (with the Spurs having a 10 point lead), I posted "go bulls go". And sure enough, the bulls immediately took control of the game and won it.

Another loss that can be directly attributed to popovich's poor coaching/decision making.
    It's actually insane how clockwork it is...as soon as Forbes checks in the game, you can just tell the other team is going to go on a big run and it happens every ing time in the 4th

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup

and

they did.
    Pop with his teaching moments for Lonnie . Wins be damned. Love seeing midgets Patty and Bryn fighting , getting overwhelmed on the rebound, giving away easy twos. Its all about the effort .Lonnie I'm sure learnt alot.

Thread Information