Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with that. Cap space this offseason would be nice but it's not worth giving up real assets to acquire. I also understand that you have to give something of value to get something of value. In my businesses I do that all the time. I do implement a strategy where I try to acquire properties that I think are undervalued in the current market where I can get more out of them than others can get. As it relates to this roster I don't see anyone who should be off limits. I would just personally like to see the FO make moves that seem coherent (i.e. moves that show we have chosen a direction) where we are either cashing in assets to win now or selling established assets for young assets with the potential to mature into valuable pieces in the future.
    Yeah, I think we'd all like to see PATFO show commitment to some plan. And it would be nice to see the front office win a trade for once that isn't the George Hill deal. I'd almost be upset if the team pulls a big move given how many games they've spent just being mediocre. I was on board with the Spurs moving some young guys last summer if it allowed them to hop up in the draft and grab a blue-chipper, I think the same principle is true for this summer, but there aren't as many candidates for such a move. An issue is that I am not sure there's a real third-piece out there now. I personally don't agree with RC_Drunkford 's evaluation of Russell. I don't want to give up real value for him. I'd almost go so far as to say I'd be more okay with getting Wiggins, given that he's way cheaper and plays a position of long-term need. There are players I'd target first, but he Spurs might be able to facilitate a Russell-to-Minny deal with just their spare parts -- and maybe even pick up an asset to boot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think we'd all like to see PATFO show commitment to some plan. And it would be nice to see the front office win a trade for once that isn't the George Hill deal. I'd almost be upset if the team pulls a big move given how many games they've spent just being mediocre. I was on board with the Spurs moving some young guys last summer if it allowed them to hop up in the draft and grab a blue-chipper, I think the same principle is true for this summer, but there aren't as many candidates for such a move. An issue is that I am not sure there's a real third-piece out there now. I personally don't agree with RC_Drunkford 's evaluation of Russell. I don't want to give up real value for him. I'd almost go so far as to say I'd be more okay with getting Wiggins, given that he's way cheaper and plays a position of long-term need. There are players I'd target first, but he Spurs might be able to facilitate a Russell-to-Minny deal with just their spare parts -- and maybe even pick up an asset to boot.
    I'm with you on that. I'm sort of agnostic on Russell since we'd be giving up assets for someone who might not move the needle much but, he has good vision and can space the floor... just meh.... on Wiggins I think there is still some upside that's untapped but if we are getting a significant asset for taking him on I'd do that because the asset + the possibility of extracting more value than Minnesota's getting from him would be worth the risk in my book. Like you said, it wouldn't be my 1st choice to target but I'd have it in the mix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All depends on what the spurs can get for poodle. Obviously if they can attach poodle for a player they like then go for it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one of a post. From appearances and history, it's likely the "plan" is to stay the course and just make adjustments. If there was reason to think they would blow it up, it changes everything.

Cap space absolutely WILL play a big part. They have been in cap for so long, and won't get out until 21-22. But if they pay to keep DDR, Poeltl, and Forbes they will have a lot of that space committed ahead of time. You can't build a team without managing the timing of contracts along with everything else.

Personally, I don't think they can build a team around Aldridge - even partly around Aldridge. He's aging, and I believe that he will go elsewhere when this contract is up. A lot of people will scream, but the DDR we have seen for the last month is worth building around. He is what he is, and he has some holes in his game, but put the right pieces around this DeRozan and he's a strong building block. They have some good young players, but they don't have another piece ready to step up to that right now.

So I think they either have to build around DDR - which means specific pieces to complement him, or blow it up. Keeping Aldridge is self-defeating, and keeping DeRozan without the right players around him is just as bad. And since the young guys are pretty redundant, yeah, they need to be open to trading them.
    Thanks. I am ok with what you outlined. It’s not my first choice, but I am ok with that and agree. DDR is the one to keep and if you do, you need to use LMA and other assets to shape a team around him that is much better fit.

I am good with Murray/White/DDR as 1/2/3 but the 4/5 needs a modern upgrade.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. I am ok with what you outlined. It’s not my first choice, but I am ok with that and agree. DDR is the one to keep and if you do, you need to use LMA and other assets to shape a team around him that is much better fit.

I am good with Murray/White/DDR as 1/2/3 but the 4/5 needs a modern upgrade.

You really see Murray as the 1 and White as the 2? Either way, I think one of the things this team lacks is a real PG. The strongest ball handler this team has is DDR and he's not really a setup man. He doesn't run the PnR for . I don't care what anyone says, a well-run PnR is still deadly effective in the modern game. Put all that together and I really think that one of White or Murray need to be one of the trade pieces.

You obviously don't think that Poeltl can be that 5. Do you think Bertans was good enough to have been the 4? And if you're going to have DDR on the floor, you have to have two good 3P shooters - preferably one of them very good. So I assume you're talking about the 4/5 being those guys? I'm just curious how you see the pieces looking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 3 guard lineup isn't going to EVER work. DD needs legitimate shooters and defenders around him. He needs to be the 2 with two 3 and D guys next to him.

That means a PG that can shoot and a TRUE SF.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs really valued Poeltl he'd be playing more than the 15 minutes or so he's been getting.

Pop is no longer a good enough coach to find time for effective players and even worse RC and Wright probably aren't good enough to not get fleeced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really see Murray as the 1 and White as the 2? Either way, I think one of the things this team lacks is a real PG. The strongest ball handler this team has is DDR and he's not really a setup man. He doesn't run the PnR for . I don't care what anyone says, a well-run PnR is still deadly effective in the modern game. Put all that together and I really think that one of White or Murray need to be one of the trade pieces.

You obviously don't think that Poeltl can be that 5. Do you think Bertans was good enough to have been the 4? And if you're going to have DDR on the floor, you have to have two good 3P shooters - preferably one of them very good. So I assume you're talking about the 4/5 being those guys? I'm just curious how you see the pieces looking.
    Yup - I am making some assumptions, but that with Murray/White/DeRozan starting that Murray/White will be good enough from 3 and the defense will fit very well. They will run and in that type of offense the playmaking is not as big of an issue. But the 4/5 need to be able to shoot. They need a legitimate talent at both positions

But to be honest, even with DDR’s play, I am not sold on building around him. I would very much prefer the rebuild route.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 3 guard lineup isn't going to EVER work. DD needs legitimate shooters and defenders around him. He needs to be the 2 with two 3 and D guys next to him.

That means a PG that can shoot and a TRUE SF.
    Murray and White have the defense covered. For sure.

I think White has proven he can shoot, he would be a tremendous secondary creator when the ball swings to him and Murray has made progress from 3.

It would be a running and transition team and the defensive potential and offensive potential with a stretch 4 (a legit one) would work really well IMO.

But yeah, there are definitely questionmarks and I’m not against trading youth for upgrades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad DD wouldn't have the defense covered if he's playing the 3...It would definitely eventually become a problem. White or Murray/DD/unamed 3&D guy would be the best they could do with the pieces they have.

Getting a 4 to cover up for the 3 guard lineup is going to be tough. You'll probably have to give up one of those guards to get one anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad DD wouldn't have the defense covered if he's playing the 3...It would definitely eventually become a problem. White or Murray/DD/unamed 3&D guy would be the best they could do with the pieces they have.

Getting a 4 to cover up for the 3 guard lineup is going to be tough. You'll probably have to give up one of those guards to get one anyway.
    I mean every team has defensive holes. If DeRozan is the only one? I think that could work. But again, I am not keen on building around him at all for all these reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean every team has defensive holes. If DeRozan is the only one? I think that could work. But again, I am not keen on building around him at all for all these reasons.
    It's just my personal opinion that you need a capable defender in that spot and the Spurs should build their team differently. We can agree to disagree.

No doubt they need to upgrade the 4. Lyles will never be more than a deep bench big and Gay is just about done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just my personal opinion that you need a capable defender in that spot and the Spurs should build their team differently. We can agree to disagree.

No doubt they need to upgrade the 4. Lyles will never be more than a deep bench big and Gay is just about done.
    I mean, I agree with you, but if you keep DeRozan he’s 100% a 3. There is just no way around that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I agree with you, but if you keep DeRozan he’s 100% a 3. There is just no way around that
    Perhaps he should come off the bench. It's not like he's a true #1 anyway. Personally, I would trade him, but I really don't see the Spurs doing that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps he should come off the bench. It's not like he's a true #1 anyway. Personally, I would trade him, but I really don't see the Spurs doing that.
    I think his contract is an issue (the fact it’s only one year basically). I can see them trading him this summer via sign and trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think his contract is an issue (the fact it’s only one year basically). I can see them trading him this summer via sign and trade

How would you do that? DDR has a player option for $27.7 million. How do you plan to persuade him in favor of an s-and-t? Then, how do you convince anybody that he's worth more than $27.7 mil?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How would you do that? DDR has a player option for $27.7 million. How do you plan to persuade him in favor of an s-and-t? Then, how do you convince anybody that he's worth more than $27.7 mil?
    opts out and s+t at 17/per on a 3+1, half the league would be interested

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He opens up more doors to more teams if he agrees on S&T.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way he's traded.

Let's move on to more realistic scenarios.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way he's traded.

Let's move on to more realistic scenarios.
    If you’re going to invoke realistic outcomes then you’re not allowed to talk about any trade at all. The spurs aren’t going to make any trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well yeah. If he opts out this Summer it’s because he thinks he will get a large deal (he will). So it makes no difference to him. He can get as much in a S&T as he can in free agency so it makes a lot of sense.

He will still get to choose his team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He opens up more doors to more teams if he agrees on S&T.
    Exactly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well yeah. If he opts out this Summer ...

Then he's out $27.7 million.

Who is going to pay him more?

Name that team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    opts out and s+t at 17/per on a 3+1, half the league would be interested

Your scenario is that he turns down $27.7 million so that he can make $17 mil. You sure about that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then he's out $27.7 million.

Who is going to pay him more?

Name that team.
    It’s not just about the annual number, it’s about guaranteed money.

I can see SA themselves paying him 3/75M. But it’s hard to project exactly who will have cap space right now because there are a lot of variables. But Miami and Detroit are two East teams that have a path to max contracts and would be suitors (already linked to DeRozan via trade) that make a lot of sense.

Thread Information