Page 55 of 169 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 4205
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a case for debt delays and not debt forgiveness. I'm not gong to cry about giving free money to millionaires.
    unless it's called a tax break ...

and this assumes that everybody with student debt is a millionaire, which isn't the case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do we charge interest on student loans? That doesn’t make sense to me.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

and this assumes that everybody with student debt is a millionaire, which isn't the case
    Well, if you want to equate those issues, then you should be against debt forgiveness for doctors.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Rather than completely wipe student loans a much more realistic campaign platform would be for Sanders to wipe all accrued interest and eliminate interest payments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because its not always the government who gives the loans, its private lenders who want to make a buck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rather than completely wipe student loans a much more realistic campaign platform would be for Sanders to wipe all accrued interest and eliminate interest payments.
    Would be exponentially more palatable and pragmatic and still a massive help to a ton of people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because its not always the government who gives the loans, its private lenders who want to make a buck
    Is vs ought is what I meant. The only interest should be pegged to CPI to adjust for inflation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say because no one wants to earn zero dollars on risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Taking less of someone's money doesn't equal giving that person money. The math might look that way, but the fact is you're still taking from them, and probably lot more than you're taking from someone making 100K.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the goal?

I'm all for easing up on student loan payments, but let's start by reimbursing folks who paid theirs off already then we can move to those who haven't. This country is starting to reek of reward for failure to comply with laws/rules/contracts. You cross illegally, you get healthcare and amnesty (some here would be for that). Those here legally endure the process. You fail to pay your loan, it's forgiven. Others are out tens of thousands because they paid as agreed.

I am for free colleges, I don't think we get there from the foundation we have built though without disenfranchising those who worked to build it. Debt forgiveness just passes on the debt to someone else, it doesn't really forgive anything. If the Bernie crowd is so attracted to his platform, they should put their money where their mouth is. Corporations would bend to the will of the consumer if the consumer could insist on things like college tuition reimbursement or debt forgiveness from large corporations. A grass roots movement to boycott products from companies that don't offer tuition assistance to employees, or who won't take part in a program for college tuition in general would put economic pressure where it would be effective. Look at all the grass fed beef, free range chickens, green this or that, so forth.. All this wasn't out of the goodness of the companies' hearts.

The people have the power to make this happen. They just won't. Instead they'll try to elect someone who has zero shot at doing it with this congress.
    Last edited by DMC; 02-27-2020 at 01:04 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking less of someone's money doesn't equal giving that person money. The math might look that way, but the fact is you're still taking from them, and probably lot more than you're taking from someone making 100K.
    giving a taxpayer 10k and cutting a taxpayer's taxes by 10k is the same thing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    giving a taxpayer 10k and cutting a taxpayer's taxes by 10k is the same thing
    I already said the math looks that way but if I stole 20 dollars from you and returned 10, I cannot say I gave you 10 dollars. They start with X amount, you start with nothing. You take from them. Taking less from them doesn't equate to you giving them more. It equates to you taking less because you in fact gave them nothing since you had nothing to give.

Your logic is how congress proposes a 20% pay increase, settles on 10% and claims they took a 10% pay cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Assyrian Kings purged debts periodically, to promote social stability. Jubilee is the Biblical term.

https://www.amazon.com/forgive-them-.../dp/3981826027
    Last edited by Winehole23; 02-27-2020 at 01:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Assyrian Kings purged debts periodically, to promote social stability. Jubilee is the Biblical term.

https://books.google.com/books/about...eir_Debts.html
    Well there you go then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well there you go then.
    Did you indulge your taste for reading by reading it, Sir?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already said the math looks that way but if I stole 20 dollars from you and returned 10, I cannot say I gave you 10 dollars. They start with X amount, you start with nothing. You take from them. Taking less from them doesn't equate to you giving them more. It equates to you taking less because you in fact gave them nothing since you had nothing to give.

Your logic is how congress proposes a 20% pay increase, settles on 10% and claims they took a 10% pay cut.
    If you equate taxation with theft, sure.

But if you owed me $20, it makes no difference if i relieve you of $10 of that debt or gift you $10

it just causes discomfort because you frown upon freeloaders getting benefits and don’t want to project that on yourself when you get a benefit by way or tax break

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well there you go then.
    If indebtedness is out of balance, perverse outcomes come over the horizon and hasten to reach port.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But the government isn't 'stealing' anything, it's taking what rightfully theirs... It's like having a business partnership where you get 50% and your partner 50%. If your partner decides to take only 40%, he/she is effectively giving you money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Debt that cannot be paid, will not be paid.

Bad debt overhang needs reducing every 40 -50 years so the whole country doesn't wnd up in hock to lenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The TABC strictly regulates terms of credit to the customer. Limited in time so that the customer does not end up in the pocket of his creditor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whole country doesn't wnd up in hock to lenders.
    debt slavery, 30% APR, it's Capital's strategy, along with $35B / year in bank overdraft fees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    biden's lead in the SC polls is growing... he's consolidating the buttigieg/klobuchar vote there quite a bit

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    biden's lead in the SC polls is growing... he's consolidating the buttigieg/klobuchar vote there quite a bit
    It’ll only grow more after that fat black congressman who all the “oh lawdy!” black bible thumpers in South Carolina follow endorsed him; I don’t think the polls have even reflected that yet.

Middle aged and older black Democrats are equally as low information as the votingrepublican.jpeg rednecks who Democrats like to make fun of so much.

Thread Information