Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing happens without Poop's approval.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs not being able to find suitors for Marco/Demarre?

I guess the Washington Mystics aren't returning their calls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can relate a story about a similar situation. Some years ago a front office type made a acquisition without notifying or getting the approval of a NBA coach. The coach was furious because he wasn't consulted and responded by never playing the new player. "No offense, Man, this is between me and the FO."

I suspect something similar happened with the new FO guy who took over for RC not understaning the realities of life. He had the power to sign, but not to make the coach play Carroll. ...

R. C. Buford was the GM who signed Carroll.

Carroll was signed to the contract on July 6, 2019. Buford's transition to CEO of Spurs Sports and Entertainment was effective on September 3.

No chance of blaming the new guy for that one.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay + Poeltl for Turner works... or Carroll + Belli + Poeltl
    or Gay & Carroll for Turner & filer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Carroll situation is a bit bizarre. He's a proven role player in this league who's started the past couple of years and we gave him money to at least play some minutes and it's like he's never really gotten a chance. Is he that lost in practice where he just doesn't fit? Maybe, but it's kinda hard to believe considering he was one of the better players on Coach Bud's ATL team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbf Carroll has been washed up for about 4 years now and was only supposed to be a warm body if Morris et al got injured or something. Obviously Morris did what he did, but that doesn't automatically mean Carroll was ever the next man up. What didn't make sense was LW not getting any burn on top of Carroll not absorbing Morris' minutes. We've been playing a man down most the year for seemingly no reason other than Pop being to afraid to experiment or deviate at all on his lineups at all in fear of being a non-playoff team. Fittingly that fear lead him to this point we're at currently, on the outside looking in, battling with young teams for an 8th seed.

In context, Carroll is net neg player in this part of career, so if Pop wasn't playing Lonnie, who's obviously a net positive, then it's not that surprising he hasn't gotten any burn. Then factor in he doesn't know the system, a SA vet like Beli and Forbes beats him out of PT in practice 10/10.

Sucks for Carroll, who knows how things would have played out without the Morris situation, but this isn't a good look, not getting minutes on a sub 500 team. Hopefully we can still get something for him despite this weird situation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No sign of Beli tonight yet... He’s not in the rotation right now, and hopefully that means a move coming.

Carroll and Beli combine for $12.8mm in salary. If they’re serious about the eight seed, they may even throw in a pick with those two to bring in a rotation piece. Those two alone can bring back $17.8mm.

Gay could bring back slightly more salary.

Spurs aren’t going into tax though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No sign of Beli tonight yet... He’s not in the rotation right now, and hopefully that means a move coming.

Carroll and Beli combine for $12.8mm in salary. If they’re serious about the eight seed, they may even throw in a pick with those two to bring in a rotation piece. Those two alone can bring back $17.8mm.

Gay could bring back slightly more salary.

Spurs aren’t going into tax though.
    Zero reason to go into tax (and you can’t go into tax when you start the season under). Beli has been out of the rotation mostly before the deadline too (other than some spurts) so I would not read into that as anything imminent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there is no GM in the league dumb enough to sign or trade for Bellineli at this point. NO ONE!!!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbf Carroll has been washed up for about 4 years now and was only supposed to be a warm body if Morris et al got injured or something. Obviously Morris did what he did, but that doesn't automatically mean Carroll was ever the next man up. What didn't make sense was LW not getting any burn on top of Carroll not absorbing Morris' minutes. We've been playing a man down most the year for seemingly no reason other than Pop being to afraid to experiment or deviate at all on his lineups at all in fear of being a non-playoff team. Fittingly that fear lead him to this point we're at currently, on the outside looking in, battling with young teams for an 8th seed.

In context, Carroll is net neg player in this part of career, so if Pop wasn't playing Lonnie, who's obviously a net positive, then it's not that surprising he hasn't gotten any burn. Then factor in he doesn't know the system, a SA vet like Beli and Forbes beats him out of PT in practice 10/10.

Sucks for Carroll, who knows how things would have played out without the Morris situation, but this isn't a good look, not getting minutes on a sub 500 team. Hopefully we can still get something for him despite this weird situation.
    No, the logic here doesn't work. Carroll was supposed to be the off-season acquisition. Spurs re-worked the contract offer he'd agreed to already (that was blocking the Morris acquisition), after Morris became unexpectedly unavailable (it was this re-working that forced the Davis trade...).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see PATFO trading Poeltl + fillers for a starter. This would actually make a lot of sense. Poeltl is only playing 17 minutes per game, if the Spurs can get a starter at PF back for him who can play close to 30 minutes per game you do it. It would improve the team. Especially since Rudy Gay has proven to be a lot better playing small ball Center than Power Forward. Of course it depends on the return, but a move like that isn't out of the question.
    He's a worse defensive C than Forbes is a defensive guard. He's a frickin' turnstile that provides zero rim protection. I'd rather trade Rudy and filler for a bag of chips than try to shoe horn him into a position where he's yet another one way player in our rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can trade Poeltl for John Collins you do it. Collins can start at PF right away and is 22 locked in on a rookie deal. If you can do Poeltl + Rudy Gay for Myles Turner you do that too. I'd even add a 1st round pick to get Turner. He can shoot the 3 and play next to LaMarcus without messing up the spacing, he's young and locked in on a good long term deal as well. Both scenarios would improve the team.

And even if you lose Poeltl you can still look at doing a Bogdanovic/Dedmon deal with the Kings. I don't think they would want a lot back if you take on Dedmon with Bogdanovic.
    Dedmon's not coming back here. Tends to happen when you cuss Pop when he pulls you out of the game. No way, no day.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    R. C. Buford was the GM who signed Carroll.

Carroll was signed to the contract on July 6, 2019. Buford's transition to CEO of Spurs Sports and Entertainment was effective on September 3.

No chance of blaming the new guy for that one.
    Young also credits Wright with leading the negotiations in re-signing Rudy Gay to a two-year, $32 million deal and assisting in the orchestration of the sign-and-trade that brought DeMarre Carrol to San Antonio and sent Davis Bertans to Washington while opening up the necessary cap space to sign Marcus Morris.
    https://airalamo.com/2019/07/22/san-...-brian-wright/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young also credits Wright with leading the negotiations in re-signing Rudy Gay to a two-year, $32 million deal and assisting in the orchestration of the sign-and-trade that brought DeMarre Carrol to San Antonio and sent Davis Bertans to Washington while opening up the necessary cap space to sign Marcus Morris.
    https://airalamo.com/2019/07/22/san-...-brian-wright/

We screwed

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

ew.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon's not coming back here. Tends to happen when you cuss Pop when he pulls you out of the game. No way, no day.
    that's not true. Spurs wanted to sign Dedmon this offseason, but didn't cause his price was too high

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i still believe the spurs thought they were signing Taurean Prince. LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young also credits Wright ...

That's a media puff piece. Some of you guys sure are gullible.

R. C. Buford signed Carroll. Fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a worse defensive C than Forbes is a defensive guard.
    Impossible.

Can you share the details of that story? Is that why he ultimately ended up in the doghouse? Somehow I missed it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by BatManu20; 02-04-2020 at 04:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not true. Spurs wanted to sign Dedmon this offseason, but didn't cause his price was too high
    Really? I don't remember that at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn dedmon is pretty alpha if he's cussing out poop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If jazz want Marco and DeMarree contract for Ed Davis one year I’m down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone may take a flyer on Marco considering he's a short term commitment. He's hit a lot of big shots over his career. Contending teams in need of shooters may roll the dice.

Thread Information