Page 71 of 193 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 4810
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Heres hoping Tom sees what it takes to win and does it. Time is runing out on him and me also.

Any one know of any ex Okie QBS in the coaching profesion, Maybe a combo. of J. Mac on offence and Akers or Manley on defence would work.
    Honestly, I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever really felt good about both the OC and the DC at the same time. Generally speaking it has only been one or the other. Both have excellent pedigrees of excelling and producing incredible results. On the offensive side the only coaches I'm questioning is Hand and that is because of his recruiting. On the defensive side I dont know enough about the new dline coach. Other than that we have the best staff I can remember.

Tom is the only guy I just don't have confidence in.

Yes I also feel good about present asst. coaches I remember some of DKR staffs that was better or had better results.

Heres hoping for an offence thats puts more points and a defence that allows less.

commit watch?

Honestly, I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever really felt good about both the OC and the DC at the same time. Generally speaking it has only been one or the other. Both have excellent pedigrees of excelling and producing incredible results. On the offensive side the only coaches I'm questioning is Hand and that is because of his recruiting. On the defensive side I dont know enough about the new dline coach. Other than that we have the best staff I can remember.
    Tom is the only guy I just don't have confidence in.
    agree. this is the best OC & DC combo the Horns have had in a long time. However, the offensive side of the ball is seriously lacking in recruiting this cycle. with the turnover in staff, is that an issue or an anomaly? I think RB coaches are a dime a dozen and, IMO, Dryaton needs to be replaced. RBs are arguably the easiest position to coach and as a consequence, it also needs to be an ace recruiter. Hand was suppose to be a good recruiter but hasnt shown it yet. He's new so I suppose he'll get another year to prove himself but the OL recruiting is looking pretty bad at this point.
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 07-19-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Offence line is looking pretty bad now. Amen.
    And the sad part is not many OL prospects left.
    If you cannot recruit them in the first place how do you expectto flip someone.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Man this is really good to read the above because I just don’t know these new guys.

The real question is if they are good, how long will it take them to implement their ways?
    I also believe we have the talent, especially on O, but how much time to get in synch.
    Does this delay and lack of practice hurt or help us when judged against what shape our compe ion is wii be in?
    OU has a new QB without experience (unlike the last two Anyways), but definitely talented. can Riley perform more miracles with a younger kid and they don’t miss a beat without the type of practice they really need?

I should have added WR recruiting is suffering right now as well. Apparently, the players didnt like Meekins so he needed to go (again, double edged sword). Coleman was promoted and things looked ok... as long as Rashaad Samples was on the staff. Since Samples left for SMU, Quaydarius Davis decommitted and WR recruiting has gone quiet except for Cain's commitment a couple of months ago.
    Last years WR class with Omeire, Dixon, and Harrison was ok but nothing to get too excited about. I wasnt to high on Omeire and I hope he proves me wrong. Dixon and/or Harrison could surprise with development. And, this year's class looks to be much of the same with duo 3* recruits Davis & Cain. I hope things improve

I double checked the offer board on page one and it looks like only two in-state players offered are not committed elsewhere: 4* Ketron Jackson & 3* JJ Henry. Texas is always loaded with WR blue-chip talent and again this year, but all the top WRs are committed elsewhere:
    4* Shadrach Banks = TAMU
    4* Cody Jackson = 0U
    4* Quaydarius Davis = USC
    4* JoJo Earle = LSU
    4* Theodore Knox = MissSt
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 07-20-2020 at 02:55 AM.

WR recruiting is a little off.They got a transfer from Mich. And there are no senior WR so maybe it is not so urgent.
    Defensive side has been doing very goodin recruiting.Hope for better things to coms

WR recruiting is a little off.They got a transfer from Mich. And there are no senior WR so maybe it is not so urgent.
    Defensive side has been doing very goodin recruiting.Hope for better things to coms
    dont disagree... but if they go two or three recruiting cycles without landing a legit blue-chip WR (I'm on a wait-and-see status on Omeire), then they will be way behind the power curve in a year or two when the soph class (Moore, Smith, Washington, Woodard) are seniors with several mediocre classes behind them.

Eastexhorn, check your inbox

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Winning and having a stud QB arise and they will come.

agree. this is the best OC & DC combo the Horns have had in a long time. However, the offensive side of the ball is seriously lacking in recruiting this cycle. with the turnover in staff, is that an issue or an anomaly? I think RB coaches are a dime a dozen and, IMO, Dryaton needs to be replaced. RBs are arguably the easiest position to coach and as a consequence, it also needs to be an ace recruiter. Hand was suppose to be a good recruiter but hasnt shown it yet. He's new so I suppose he'll get another year to prove himself but the OL recruiting is looking pretty bad at this point.
    Didn't the horns just get the top runnng back in the country in the last class?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    i’m thinking that he means that running back’s might be harder to gauge impact wise because there are a bunch of good ones in high school.

and it’s hard to tell sometimes how good they really are based on the compe ion they play in high school. some really good running backs get overlooked because they play for small schools and they are blowing opponents away with second stringers so maybe the stats don’t look so great. Others that play for smaller schools have incredible stats but they are running by defenders that are stuck like posts in the ground.

on the other hand you have some running backs that played for a very good schools that play against very tough compe ion and they have outstanding offense of lines. you also have running backs coming from large schools that are getting crushed by superior opponents and they don’t have the ball enough to showcase a kid. Or he just gets annihilated because of a bad line

The last two paragraphs all my opinion. Then we have the late bloomers and the kids that got injured in high school. This probably can be used for any position however.
    Last edited by pgardn; 07-20-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Of course they did but it was really a tag team with Beck and Carrington; they did the hard work. Bijan and the family ended up REALLY liking Drayton, including grandma, IIRC.
    Drayton's an NFL guy and should probably return to the NFL if he doesnt like recruiting. He hasnt shown himself to be a recruiting hound (such as Carrignton or Samples) and hasnt shown to recruit out of his position group. While he's a good guy and players like him, a good RB coach that can also recruit is not a hard fill.

Recruiting is the name of the game now days along with offence.Defence wins champships is out dated. Out score them is todays game. Good passer and a great OL to give him time,

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Recruiting is the name of the game now days along with offence.Defence wins champships is out dated. Out score them is todays game. Good passer and a great OL to give him time,
    The OU board would pause a bit...
    And it makes me happy they would.

Seriously? You really didn’t know Brooks has character issues? Lol, ok.
    You know this how? Fan boards?

I know one of his former coaches at Monnig and his position coach at Flower Mound, they have a much different take than you do. But please feel free to expound.

Saw a list off OL prospects on Tuesday,s open post. One was a new name to me Hunter Smjth of Rockwall Heath. Any one have any infro. on him.

Here is a quote from Kendrick Blackshirhe's mom

" Well as the parent of Kendrick. Staying in Texas would have been great but the recruiting process in Texas lags. They do not communicate well. Coaches change. We were not impressed with the structure. We did talk to a lot of the players kids talk. That’s a big impact on a lot of the recruiting. They wait to late to show real interest especially when you dealing with multiple schools communicating all the time. Slow with relationship building. the development at a lot of the out of state school is much better in my opinion. And yes my son wants to go to the league so we decided to put him with one of the best defensive mind coaches".

Damn shame

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It is interesting to see how much damage was done by last season. Texas had so much momentum going into that season after beating Georgia and every bit of it is now gone.

This actually lends itself to what I believe is that the impact of a good or bad season isn't really felt until the following recruiting cycle. Thus the lack of success in this cycle can be attributed to both a poor season last year and of course the impact of the coaching changes.

To turn this around in 2022 where currently the State of Texas has 19 kids in the 247 top 100 is imperative. This is Tom Herman's last chance to prove he is the coach we thought he was. if there is no OOC games you can expect that there will be a lot of time to put the offense and defense in place.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

" Well as the parent of Kendrick. Staying in Texas would have been great but the recruiting process in Texas lags. They do not communicate well. Coaches change. We were not impressed with the structure. We did talk to a lot of the players kids talk. That’s a big impact on a lot of the recruiting. They wait to late to show real interest especially when you dealing with multiple schools communicating all the time. Slow with relationship building. the development at a lot of the out of state school is much better in my opinion. And yes my son wants to go to the league so we decided to put him with one of the best defensive mind coaches".

Damn shame
    yeah I would’ve taken this harder if he would’ve gone to Mississippi State or something but he’s going to Alabama.

Post Count

Damn shame
    No excuses, but I read an article a couple of months ago saying that Blackshire was not a priority for Chris Ash. The article went on to say that Ash prefers speedier LBs. This article was before they got a commit from Blackwell. I remember being disappointed because i liked Blackshire. Not saying it was a spot on article or that I agree with it, but it would explain the spotty communication with him.

Damn shame
    Seriously, what parent makes a quote like this? A parent who is caught up in the process and wants her ego stroked as much as anyone. She obviously wants someone to call her every day to tell her how great her son is and how great she is for raising a great son. Had Samples stayed on the staff, I think he might have reengaged and played that game but he didnt even do that for her when he WAS on the staff. I think her comments are quite disingenuous

Kendrick got an offer from Texas in 2018; more than enough time to stroke his ego. he was getting sec offers going back to 2017 (again, we are talking about a recruit in the 2021 class) and he was in constant contact with sec teams, including aggy. so, yeah, Texas turned the page esp after he tore his ACL before he moved to Duncanville. I think if Texas felt better about some other players at Duncanville such as Savion Byrd, then it might be worth the effort but he was going to the sec regardless.
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 07-22-2020 at 12:23 AM.

No excuses, but I read an article a couple of months ago saying that Blackshire was not a priority for Chris Ash. The article went on to say that Ash prefers speedier LBs. This article was before they got a commit from Blackwell. I remember being disappointed because i liked Blackshire. Not saying it was a spot on article or that I agree with it, but it would explain the spotty communication with him.
    I would put that article into question because it's highly unlikely that Blackshire plays LB in college and even less so in the NFL. Almost certainly he will end up being a DE. Last I read, it stated he was north of 250 pounds already. Most players gain at least 15-20 pounds in college and the closer to the ball you get, the more that weight stat goes up. Early on after the Texas offer, people were comparing him to UT's Gary Johnson who was quite athletic at 230 pounds. That was 20 pounds ago and Kendrick is already way above 230 pounds. I would say this even if he was going to UT: he's not considered a fast OLB and Ash's 4-2 defense doesnt need a heavy, slower ILB. He would end up being a DE (esp at UT) and may not want to hear that.
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 07-22-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Post Count
    I would put that article into question because it's highly unlikely that Blackshire plays LB in college and even less so in the NFL. Almost certainly he will end up being a DE. Last I read, it stated he was north of 250 pounds already. Most players gain at least 15-20 pounds in college and the closer to the ball you get, the more that weight stat goes up. Early on after the Texas offer, people were comparing him to UT's Gary Johnson who was quite athletic at 230 pounds. That was 20 pounds ago and Kendrick is already way above 230 pounds. I would say this even if he was going to UT: he's not considered a fast OLB and Ash's 4-2 defense doesnt need a heavy, slower ILB. He would end up being a DE (esp at UT) and may not want to hear that.
    You're likely correct on this. However you slice it, sounds like Texas didn't want him at a 4-2 LB and he didn't want to play with his hand in the dirt.

I question the coaching changes except for Saban Ala. has been a revolving door for coaches.

Thread Information