Page 114 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 4810
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Symptomatic of a failed ins utional leadership
    Silly me. After the TT RB went 60 for a 2 score lead- I turned it off.
    Holy mother of all comebacks!

Then you ain't from East Texas. Maybe you are from Great Briitan the way you spell offense and defense.
    Not from GB but have seen Big Ben.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The only silver lining is that lots of good teams looked like . It's a weird year. Is it the same ole Herman or is it a product of the current climate? We will soon see.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The only silver lining is that lots of good teams looked like . It's a weird year. Is it the same ole Herman or is it a product of the current climate? We will soon see.
    This^

Is what I am going to hold on to for now.

Post Count
    This^

Is what I am going to hold on to for now.
    Co-signed

Post Count
    Yeah. Poor dude looked like the little girl from The Exorcist.
    The hurdle runs always looks great when they work but when they don't, then oh man is it ugly. I hope he is ok.

Post Count
    stop recruiting defensive players from texas & california they r soft & dont know how to tackle because of 7 on 7
    The University of Texas is going to stop recruiting players from Texas? Seriously?

On the plus side, Texas is averaging 61 points per game through the first two.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Then you ain't from East Texas. Maybe you are from Great Briitan the way you spell offense and defense.
    Briitan?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This is actually great to see.
    I love them having fun.

But it could be such a masquerade. They don’t need to look longer term, but I can’t help it. So much to fix... Again...

My Team
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Post Count
    We all knew they would struggle a bit...2nd game of the year, 1st road game, in Lubbock, no doubt, and coming off a bye. We expected struggle, not to be outplayed in all 3 phases. I could have seen a 52-31 win. I was not expecting the 2nd half show I witnessed. Charlie Strong called, laughing, and said our ST sucks. Our OL couldn't block a mannequin at this point. I guess with the Covid, our D is practicing social distancing. TT players were running wild and free, frolicking like a bunch of fanciful unicorns......udderly (used this one on purpose) disgraceful.

I will take the win of course, thankful for it, but lots of improvements need to be made. This house has a lot of issues and the contractor (Herman) and his crew, need to pay better attention to the smaller details of the project, or else COLLAPSE.

BTW....O WHO? Lost.......Hook em

Rattler is overrated and overhyped....maybe the media can rise from its knees and wipe his manhood taste from their mouths. TY KSU.

The hurdle runs always looks great when they work but when they don't, then oh man is it ugly. I hope he is ok.
    yeah, that was just a dumb freshman move. DONT LEAVE YOUR BIGGEST ASSET - YOUR FEET! esp when the defender is standing upright. If the defender is lowering his helmet and obviously going low, then you MIGHT get away with it... BUT NOT when he is standing up and broke down to make a fundamental tackle. I'm sure he got away with that in high school and it looked really cool on the replay tape and he might have tried that in practice. If he tried that crap in practice and Drayton didnt jump down his throat, then that is on Drayton. VERY high risk and very low reward move. There is hardly anything good going to happen if the RB leaves his feet and the defender is playing fundamental technique.

I remember when Emmit leaped over the LOS pile up for a TD but landed on his shoulder, seriously injuring it and about ruined his career....but at least that was a leap with a purpose. I also remember when the 0U player leaped over the two UT DBs (Mykkele Thompson & Adrian Phillips) but if you look at the replay/photos, the DBs lowered their helmets and were not watching the runner (horrible tackling technique; Foster does this a lot). If the defensive player lowers his helmet & torso, then hurdling is acceptable if selectively used. In Bijan's case, the defensive player was standing upright (bad jumping choice #1) and, as a consequence, he had to jump vertically (bad choice #2) rather than hurdling losing all momentum even if he succeeded

As opposed to Bijan's bad choice could have led to catastrophic failure

Last edited by soldierhorn; 09-27-2020 at 08:08 AM.

My Goodness......his body almost snapped in half! I hope he’s ok.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    This happens with big level moves.
    he is not playing against 5’8” 165 pound high school defensive backs in Arizona

maybe the lack of practice in the spring and then the fall again led to this reflexive failure

My Goodness......his body almost snapped in half! I hope he’s ok.
    yeah, he's lucky he didnt seriously hurt himself and possibly ruin his career. It's being reported that he suffered a lower back strain. That gives me a lower back strain just watching it

FYI, Fisher... THAT is not a hurdle. hopping with two feet is not a hurdle
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 09-27-2020 at 10:22 AM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That gives a good view of his flexibility

an old person would get killed

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That gives a good view of his flexibility

an old person would get killed
    That reminds me of 2004 when Texas played Arkansas and one of the Arkansas players tackled Vince and proceeded to twist his foot almost completely around. I'm sure it hurt, I don't think Vince missed a play from it and Texas went on to blow them out. A normal person would have had his ankle broken in half, but Vince was Superman.

That reminds me of 2004 when Texas played Arkansas and one of the Arkansas players tackled Vince and proceeded to twist his foot almost completely around. I'm sure it hurt, I don't think Vince missed a play from it and Texas went on to blow them out. A normal person would have had his ankle broken in half, but Vince was Superman.
    Here's another angle...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I turned the game off with 3:13 left and down by 15. I spent the day pissed off and when I log back on I saw the final score and my jaw dropped.

I'm glad we won, but a lot was exposed in that game, I'm not worried about tackling, because tackling is a matter of constant practice. That is easily coachable they just need to constantly work at it. I am worried about getting consistant pass rush, coverage, and offensive pass blocking.

Herb Hand needs to be put on notice, his unit isn't doing very well and his recruiting needs pick up a few notches. I gave him a pass last year but he gets no free passes this year, get better or get out.

A few defensive notes.

BJ Foster lead the team in tackles, good for him after his temper tantrum last week. Hopefully he can build on this game. The one stat I like to look at is how many DBs are in the top 10 in tackles. A good sign 5 of the top 10 were DBs, this is good because of how many times they threw the ball. The fact that we had 5 guys in the top 10 tells me that we made some plays before they got to the 2nd level. For the freshmen, Alfred Collins got 4 tackles, so he is beginning to make some noise.

Next week, the compe ion gets a little tougher as we face a pissed off TCU team. Their offense and QB aren't as good but overall they are another step up in talent.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    yeah, that was just a dumb freshman move. DONT LEAVE YOUR BIGGEST ASSET - YOUR FEET! esp when the defender is standing upright. If the defender is lowering his helmet and obviously going low, then you MIGHT get away with it... BUT NOT when he is standing up and broke down to make a fundamental tackle. I'm sure he got away with that in high school and it looked really cool on the replay tape and he might have tried that in practice. If he tried that crap in practice and Drayton didnt jump down his throat, then that is on Drayton. VERY high risk and very low reward move. There is hardly anything good going to happen if the RB leaves his feet and the defender is playing fundamental technique.

I remember when Emmit leaped over the LOS pile up for a TD but landed on his shoulder, seriously injuring it and about ruined his career....but at least that was a leap with a purpose. I also remember when the 0U player leaped over the two UT DBs (Mykkele Thompson & Adrian Phillips) but if you look at the replay/photos, the DBs lowered their helmets and were not watching the runner (horrible tackling technique; Foster does this a lot). If the defensive player lowers his helmet & torso, then hurdling is acceptable if selectively used. In Bijan's case, the defensive player was standing upright (bad jumping choice #1) and, as a consequence, he had to jump vertically (bad choice #2) rather than hurdling losing all momentum even if he succeeded

As opposed to Bijan's bad choice could have led to catastrophic failure

Gawdam the back of his head is touching his ass

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Good points, but some added comments....

I'm glad we won, but a lot was exposed in that game, I'm not worried about tackling, because tackling is a matter of constant practice. That is easily coachable they just need to constantly work at it.
    agree... but the key word is "coachable." I would argue that Mack Brown had more teams that demonstrated poor tackling than teams that were good tacklers. If true,what does that say? The problem is that if it is not addressed directly in person (not just pointing it out on the film room), then bad habits from high school will continue.

Herb Hand needs to be put on notice, his unit isn't doing very well and his recruiting needs pick up a few notches. I gave him a pass last year but he gets no free passes this year, get better or get out.
    yeah, at this level a position coach has to excel at something: primarily recruiting, and/or coaching player technique, and/or scheming position group to help players succeed on field. So far, the results are that Herb Hand hasnt shown to excel at any one thing.

BJ Foster lead the team in tackles, good for him after his temper tantrum last week. Hopefully he can build on this game. The one stat I like to look at is how many DBs are in the top 10 in tackles. A good sign 5 of the top 10 were DBs, this is good because of how many times they threw the ball. The fact that we had 5 guys in the top 10 tells me that we made some plays before they got to the 2nd level. For the freshmen, Alfred Collins got 4 tackles, so he is beginning to make some noise.
    I havent rewatched the game yet but first impressions were that something wasnt right on the defensive side. I watched the game but I dont remember Foster getting that many tackles and that game could arguably have been one of his better games but something is still amiss, IMO

I said last week that if the majority of tackles or, as in this case, the overwhelming majority of tackles are registered to defensive backs, then something is fundamentally wrong with the defense and I think it showed yesterday.

The amount of multiple solo tackles made by defensive backs & front 7 defensive players:

DB FOSTER (5)
    DB ADIMORA (4)
    F7 MITC (4)
    DB STERNS (4)
    DB THOMPSON (3)
    DB BROWN (3)
    F7 GRAHAM (3)
    F7 COLLINS (2)
    F7 OVERSHOWN (2)

so, of the top six tacklers, 5 were DBs with 19 solo tackles to 4 for the front 7

Edited to add: Even though this works as a quick look, I need to add a caveat in that a certain analysis consideration should be given when playing against pass-first/air raid type offenses since they generally pass outside the front 7 and 5+ yds deep. That being the case one would look at each play and determine how effective each of the F7 were in their assignments, tackles for a loss, sacks, QB pressures, fumbles caused, etc., which I dont have time to do. Coach Venables (InsideTexas) use to do this but I havent seen his analysis so far this year
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 09-27-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Thread Information