Page 107 of 193 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 4810
    I've held out as long as I could for Byrd, but even I have conceded on him. I've given up on 2021 OL recruiting. Luckily Texas had a really good haul last year and a couple of decent prospects this year. However, they absolutely can't miss on the big targets for 2022.
    pretty much agree with this. At this point, they really need to get one or two transfers

Edited to add: That, of course, depends on what the plans for the three seniors & Cosmi turn out to be, IMO. The roster was already a couple of OL short of the 16-18 OL bodies needed for a healthy development timeline. This class needed 4 OL to replace the three seniors (Kerstetter, Imade, Okafor) and Cosmi as a projected draft loss. I'm not sure any of that will happen now that they all can have another year to build up their resume tape. I have no idea but I suspect Kerstetter & Cosmi are draft losses in spite of the situation but it's possible that Imade & Okafor may want another year to build their resume.
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 09-16-2020 at 03:31 PM.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    So will B10 screw with bowls and playoffs due to their late start?

So will B10 screw with bowls and playoffs due to their late start?
    I dont think so. September is usually the month for OOC games so if they dont have OOC games, then they can have a full slate of conference games & a CCG maybe a week deeper into December than they normally do. It also depends on how many, if any, bye weeks they have to determine when the CCG will be held with enough room left to participate in CFP and how many bowls. this is why starting up in the first few weeks of Oct is so important. Now, if they start in late Oct, then they may not have any bye weeks straight through CCG, which is not optimal to say the least.

I belive they are playing eight games with no byes. Maybe start Oct. 24.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Post Count
    My take is the BIG10 simply gave into pressure. It's not a medical decision -- the situation hasn't materially improved, it's that they feel left out and the people who care most about this stuff want the teams to play. Don't forget the lost revenue if they don't play even with little attendance when you take into consideration sponsors and tv contracts and such.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Something I want to point out about this years defense after 1 game vs last year. Look no further than the fact the dline is making plays. Last year there wasn't a dlinemen in the top 8 in tackles. In fact if you want to point to a single statistic of why we had so many injuries to the defensive backfield, look at how many of them were in the top 8 in tackles.

This is going to be a huge factor this year, keeping offenses from getting to the 2nd level of your defense. We still have to face a bunch of Big 12 offenses and we all know the Big 12 has good offenses without having great players. We need to keep guys healthy this dline is going to make it very tough to run against us, and we have the big boys to free up Ossai to make plays.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Something I want to point out about this years defense after 1 game vs last year. Look no further than the fact the dline is making plays. Last year there wasn't a dlinemen in the top 8 in tackles. In fact if you want to point to a single statistic of why we had so many injuries to the defensive backfield, look at how many of them were in the top 8 in tackles.

This is going to be a huge factor this year, keeping offenses from getting to the 2nd level of your defense. We still have to face a bunch of Big 12 offenses and we all know the Big 12 has good offenses without having great players. We need to keep guys healthy this dline is going to make it very tough to run against us, and we have the big boys to free up Ossai to make plays.
    Good point. that was one of my main arguments with some of the Mack Brown defenses. When the top two or three tacklers are DBs, then you have something fundamentally wrong with your defense.

This was my immediate thought after the Utah game in the Alamo Bowl. The DL/FBs had a completely different MOJO and it paid off big time

Solo tackles in the Utah game:
    LB/DE Ossai 6 - 3 sacs - 6 TFL
    DB Sterns 6
    DB Cook 4
    DT Coburn 3
    LB Adeoye 2
    LB Mitc 2
    DE Roach 2 - 1 sac - 1.5 TFL
    DE Graham 2 - 1 sac 2.5 TFL
    LB McCulloch - 2
    DB Foster - 2

The DL/LBs secured this win with a monster game. What does that tell us since the current DC wasnt at the Utah game? The current DC has aligned with the head coach and problem was the past DC, IMO

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I finally rewatched the game and I specifically watched the offensive line. Here is my notes. I'm keeping in mind that this was against UTEP, probably the worst team we have faced in the Tom Herman era.

Cosmi- nearly flawless performance
    Angilau - Very good performance, he missed a couple of run blocks but pass blocking was what to be expected against a team like UTEP
    Kerrstetter - Outside of his holding call, he had a decent game, he got beat on a pass play but overall he did pretty well.
    Okifur - very disappointed, his days as a starter are numbered if he continues to get beat like he was against the Miners. He just looked like he didn't belong
    Jones - surprisingly good, he isn't as strong a pass blocker but not bad for a first time start.

When we recruited Karic he was a 3 star, he ended up a 4'star, and from watching him play as a true freshmen, I was impressed, I think we have a good player in the making. Same for Tyler Johnson and Hookfin. I'm really liking what we have on the offensive line right now.

I will continue to watch these guys as the compe ion gets better and better I want to see where they peak out at.

2022 IT Texas Covet List:

We’re factoring supply and demand considerations against program need. The 2022 cycle is loaded with elite talent, but linebacker, per the usual, is a bit thin at the top with one prospect head and shoulders above the rest. Also, for the second year in a row, corner isn’t as deep as it has been in the past. That will increase the frenzy for a certain North Shore athlete. But overall the class is so good we had to invoke This is Spinal Tap and take it to 11.

1. Quinn Ewers, QB, Southlake Carroll
    Ewers was at the top of the list of “must get” and most coveted recruits in the 2022 class for Tom Herman and staff. Not only was Ewers the No. 1 ranked prospect in the country, but he is an in-state quarterback that literally grew up wearing Texas football jerseys. Add in the fact Ewers would have likely gone to Oklahoma if the pick wasn’t Texas, which would have held influence with an uber talented skill group in the 2022 cycle, and this recruitment was a massive one for the Longhorns. Ewers' early pledge perfectly sets the tables for Texas if Herman and staff handle business on the field this season. - GH
    Percentage: Committed to the Longhorns

2. Malick Sylla, DE, Katy
    With the transition from an interior-focused defensive line to one that requires edge pressure, UT still doesn’t have the prototypical bodies it needs at defensive end. That could still be addressed in the 2021 class, and Ja’Tavion Sanders sure helps, but Sylla profiles best to being the bendy arc-running terror the program is currently missing. He’s already in high demand and wide open at this point. Texas will have a dogfight on its hands. The state has other options at defensive end, but things aren’t looking great for Earnest Cooper or Omari Abor. Perhaps UT can utilize Moro Ojomo to its advantage. - EN
    Percentage: 15%

3. Denver Harris, CB, North Shore
    Easily the top cornerback prospect in the state and one of the best in the country. To be clear, IT isn't hyping up to be Derek Stingley Jr., but he's very talented and is a premium position prospect in a cycle where an elite corner is greatly needed. A 6-foot or bigger frame with legit 4.5 or better speed, loose hips, the eyes to play the position and willingness to be physical makes Harris a coveted prospect. Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Oregon, and a lengthy list of schools are after the North Shore product. Texas has been a constant in this recruitment, but Harris isn't a lock with LSU and Alabama circling - GH
    Percentage: 60%

4. Kelvin Banks, OT, Summer Creek
    After wandering through the forest of nationally-ranked offensive line prospects in the 2021 class and walking out with empty hands, Banks is a “must get” and one of the most coveted in the 2022 class in Austin. Banks has all the tools to be a terrific tackle with a very good frame, 80-inch wingspan, big hands, impressive reactive quickness and the ability to bend. Add in that he’s a good student with strong parental influence, and Banks is coveted by many of the nation’s top programs. Texas began Banks‘ recruitment as the favorite prior to his Oklahoma State verbal per a source close to the uber talented tackle, but LSU and Texas A&M are squarely in the mix in what looks to be a close-to-home three team battle at this point. Herb Hand’s ability to build a strong relationship with Banks will be key here. - GH
    Percentage: 40%

5. Harold Perkins, LB, Cypress Park
    Perkins possesses legitimate 4.5 laser speed and safety coverage skills in a projectable linebacker frame. He’s currently undervalued by the networks, but we’re expecting a big jump in his recruiting profile because of his uncommon athleticism. The modern game dictates you need range and coverage ability at the position, with baseline athletic requirements increasing in recent years. Perkins has national and regional suitors alike, but we feel he’s more likely to stay in the region. It will still be a battle for his services. - EN

6. Devon Campbell, OG, Arlington Bowie
    If we’re putting a guard this high on the list you know he’s special. While the bigger need for Texas will remain at tackle, Campbell has elite movement skills for the interior O-line. Whether you want to run inside or outside he’s a road-grader. The quiet young man will likely have a quiet process. This one comes down to three schools: Texas, LSU, and OU, with the first two doing the most work currently. Texas is recruiting him the hardest and right now is in a favorable position. - EN

7. Caleb Burton, WR, Del Valle
    There’s going to be a great discussion for the next couple of years on which of the top handful of receivers is the top prospect in the 2022 cycle, but Burton is arguably the most important for Texas. Why? He’s an Austin-area prospect, his dad is the head coach at Del Valle, and the commitment of Ewers has brought life back into this recruitment for the Longhorns. If the Texas offense continues to look impressive in the passing game, that will only help the chances of beating out Oklahoma, Clemson and many of the nation‘s top programs for Burton. Burton was in the stands for the first half of the Longhorns' season opening win. - GH

8. Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein Cain
    Simply put, Blue can be Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the Mike Yurcich offense with his mix of running and receiving ability. He has the pinball traits that I love with home run speed, soft hands, and strong mental traits. He would also complement the Texas stable of running backs quite well, especially if the Horns land LJ Johnson and his between the tackles prowess in 2021. - EN
    Percentage: 80%

9. Chace Biddle, DB, Garland
    Biddle isn’t as polished as Bryce Anderson or Bryan Allen, both committed to LSU, but he does have as much athletic upside and playmaking ability at safety as those two. Chris Ash could easily spin Biddle’s natural gifts into a rangy, ball-hawking safety in his quarters scheme. In some ways, Biddle would be the opposite of recent DB takes, Jerrin Thompson, Xavion Alford, and JD Coffey. Those three have a lot going for them, but they’re not as explosive. - EN
    Percentage: 75%

10. Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Legacy
    Texas is the favorite for the most explosive receiver in-state regardless of class. He’s pretty much a “must get” recruit for the Longhorns because of his ability to take the top off the defense and maximize after the catch with sheer acceleration. Having Ewers on board is big here, as is the success of the Longhorn offense this year. - GH
    Percentage: 65%

11. Armani Winfield, WR, Lewisville
    The 2021 cycle still has some chapters to be written, but right now wide receiver needs have yet to be met. Even if they are, Winfield’s all-around game would be an attractive addition. He can get a step on vertical routes or by clean route running. He has both ’target’ ability as well as winning over the top. I liken him to Charleston Rambo. - EN

High school recruiting is not like the NFL where it could take years to provide your star quarterback with the weaponry and big bodies he needs. In one busy day of the fax machine going brrrr, Texas could sign a franchise left tackle, a game-breaking running back, and three wide receivers capable of gaining separation. And that’s just from this list. We didn’t have enough room for Donovan Green, who would help unlock the offense further, or PJ Williams and Kameron Dewberry who are also needs on the offensive line.

Obligatory: Just win, and keep spreading the ball around in the process.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    2022 IT Texas Covet List:

We’re factoring supply and demand considerations against program need. The 2022 cycle is loaded with elite talent, but linebacker, per the usual, is a bit thin at the top with one prospect head and shoulders above the rest. Also, for the second year in a row, corner isn’t as deep as it has been in the past. That will increase the frenzy for a certain North Shore athlete. But overall the class is so good we had to invoke This is Spinal Tap and take it to 11.

1. Quinn Ewers, QB, Southlake Carroll
    Ewers was at the top of the list of “must get” and most coveted recruits in the 2022 class for Tom Herman and staff. Not only was Ewers the No. 1 ranked prospect in the country, but he is an in-state quarterback that literally grew up wearing Texas football jerseys. Add in the fact Ewers would have likely gone to Oklahoma if the pick wasn’t Texas, which would have held influence with an uber talented skill group in the 2022 cycle, and this recruitment was a massive one for the Longhorns. Ewers' early pledge perfectly sets the tables for Texas if Herman and staff handle business on the field this season. - GH
    Percentage: Committed to the Longhorns

2. Malick Sylla, DE, Katy
    With the transition from an interior-focused defensive line to one that requires edge pressure, UT still doesn’t have the prototypical bodies it needs at defensive end. That could still be addressed in the 2021 class, and Ja’Tavion Sanders sure helps, but Sylla profiles best to being the bendy arc-running terror the program is currently missing. He’s already in high demand and wide open at this point. Texas will have a dogfight on its hands. The state has other options at defensive end, but things aren’t looking great for Earnest Cooper or Omari Abor. Perhaps UT can utilize Moro Ojomo to its advantage. - EN
    Percentage: 15%

3. Denver Harris, CB, North Shore
    Easily the top cornerback prospect in the state and one of the best in the country. To be clear, IT isn't hyping up to be Derek Stingley Jr., but he's very talented and is a premium position prospect in a cycle where an elite corner is greatly needed. A 6-foot or bigger frame with legit 4.5 or better speed, loose hips, the eyes to play the position and willingness to be physical makes Harris a coveted prospect. Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Oregon, and a lengthy list of schools are after the North Shore product. Texas has been a constant in this recruitment, but Harris isn't a lock with LSU and Alabama circling - GH

4. Kelvin Banks, OT, Summer Creek
    After wandering through the forest of nationally-ranked offensive line prospects in the 2021 class and walking out with empty hands, Banks is a “must get” and one of the most coveted in the 2022 class in Austin. Banks has all the tools to be a terrific tackle with a very good frame, 80-inch wingspan, big hands, impressive reactive quickness and the ability to bend. Add in that he’s a good student with strong parental influence, and Banks is coveted by many of the nation’s top programs. Texas began Banks‘ recruitment as the favorite prior to his Oklahoma State verbal per a source close to the uber talented tackle, but LSU and Texas A&M are squarely in the mix in what looks to be a close-to-home three team battle at this point. Herb Hand’s ability to build a strong relationship with Banks will be key here. - GH

5. Harold Perkins, LB, Cypress Park
    Perkins possesses legitimate 4.5 laser speed and safety coverage skills in a projectable linebacker frame. He’s currently undervalued by the networks, but we’re expecting a big jump in his recruiting profile because of his uncommon athleticism. The modern game dictates you need range and coverage ability at the position, with baseline athletic requirements increasing in recent years. Perkins has national and regional suitors alike, but we feel he’s more likely to stay in the region. It will still be a battle for his services. - EN

6. Devon Campbell, OG, Arlington Bowie
    If we’re putting a guard this high on the list you know he’s special. While the bigger need for Texas will remain at tackle, Campbell has elite movement skills for the interior O-line. Whether you want to run inside or outside he’s a road-grader. The quiet young man will likely have a quiet process. This one comes down to three schools: Texas, LSU, and OU, with the first two doing the most work currently. Texas is recruiting him the hardest and right now is in a favorable position. - EN

7. Caleb Burton, WR, Del Valle
    There’s going to be a great discussion for the next couple of years on which of the top handful of receivers is the top prospect in the 2022 cycle, but Burton is arguably the most important for Texas. Why? He’s an Austin-area prospect, his dad is the head coach at Del Valle, and the commitment of Ewers has brought life back into this recruitment for the Longhorns. If the Texas offense continues to look impressive in the passing game, that will only help the chances of beating out Oklahoma, Clemson and many of the nation‘s top programs for Burton. Burton was in the stands for the first half of the Longhorns' season opening win. - GH

8. Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein Cain
    Simply put, Blue can be Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the Mike Yurcich offense with his mix of running and receiving ability. He has the pinball traits that I love with home run speed, soft hands, and strong mental traits. He would also complement the Texas stable of running backs quite well, especially if the Horns land LJ Johnson and his between the tackles prowess in 2021. - EN
    Percentage: 80%

9. Chace Biddle, DB, Garland
    Biddle isn’t as polished as Bryce Anderson or Bryan Allen, both committed to LSU, but he does have as much athletic upside and playmaking ability at safety as those two. Chris Ash could easily spin Biddle’s natural gifts into a rangy, ball-hawking safety in his quarters scheme. In some ways, Biddle would be the opposite of recent DB takes, Jerrin Thompson, Xavion Alford, and JD Coffey. Those three have a lot going for them, but they’re not as explosive. - EN

10. Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Legacy
    Texas is the favorite for the most explosive receiver in-state regardless of class. He’s pretty much a “must get” recruit for the Longhorns because of his ability to take the top off the defense and maximize after the catch with sheer acceleration. Having Ewers on board is big here, as is the success of the Longhorn offense this year. - GH
    Percentage: 65%

11. Armani Winfield, WR, Lewisville
    The 2021 cycle still has some chapters to be written, but right now wide receiver needs have yet to be met. Even if they are, Winfield’s all-around game would be an attractive addition. He can get a step on vertical routes or by clean route running. He has both ’target’ ability as well as winning over the top. I liken him to Charleston Rambo. - EN

High school recruiting is not like the NFL where it could take years to provide your star quarterback with the weaponry and big bodies he needs. In one busy day of the fax machine going brrrr, Texas could sign a franchise left tackle, a game-breaking running back, and three wide receivers capable of gaining separation. And that’s just from this list. We didn’t have enough room for Donovan Green, who would help unlock the offense further, or PJ Williams and Kameron Dewberry who are also needs on the offensive line.

Obligatory: Just win, and keep spreading the ball around in the process.
    Cool... Thanks.

THIS is bigger than football. At their age, political crap is not even though they want it to be

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

FWIW, This pic reminded me that there is a rumor (InsideTexas) that Clemson and LSU might be filled up at certain positions or overall numbers. The implication being that Texas might be the best option for Mukuba & Cooks if they werent before.

State of Recruiting from IT:

We go in depth on one of the most important recruits of the cycle, discuss a long-shot that got a little shorter this week, and offer up some intel on offensive line targets.
    Terrence Cooks, LB, Alvin Shadow Creek: After spending significant time at Shadow Creek yesterday, both for a visit with coaches and Cooks, and then Shadow Creek’s scrimmage, we’ve come to the conclusion that our read of this recruitment has been mostly right the whole time.

— Education is in fact important to Terrence and his mother, who is herself an educator. He wants to study ecology. Cooks seems to have a plan for life after football. He sees the sport as a way to springboard into the next chapter of his life and he’d like a little money in the bank to do so.

— When we asked about relationships, Coleman Hutzler was the first name he mentioned. Hutzler was also the most frequently mentioned coach, and the one Cooks went most in depth on. Cooks and Hutzler had a Zoom call this week. Hutzler has worked this one hard, but not too hard, as Cooks isn’t the type to be constantly bombarded. That doesn’t just go for coaches and writers (he apologized to “us”), but also his friends. He did mention he’s most close with Texas commits and he also talks to running back target LJ Johnson some.

— Timeline isn’t set in stone. When asked if he wanted to prolong things in order to build relationships with LSU he said it would be difficult for them to catch up in that regard because he’d still be talking to coaches at other schools he’s known for much longer. LSU is definitely late to the party, but too late? That remains to be seen.

— He mentioned Baylor some. The Bears are definitely working to play spoiler, and he does have solid relationships with them. He likes how they’ve recruited him. In the end we don’t see it, but it’s clear they’ve made some headway and they have his quarterback, Kyron Drones, committed.

— He doesn’t care about conference or how many players a school puts in the league, “if you can play they’ll find you.”

— One thing he does pay attention to is depth chart. He knows relationships are important with coaches in order to get a clear view of the depth chart.

Texas is still in a good spot to earn the commitment, but needs to continue to win over all the members in the Cooks decision tree. If the product on the field is as good as many think it will be, and if DeMarvion Overshown plays to his potential, we think it will end with his Horns up. Development is the final piece. Hutzler seems in control of this recruitment in more ways than one.

Dont’e Thornton, WR, Mount Saint Joseph (Baltimore, MD): The Longhorns and Thornton continue to advance in the relationship building department. Head coach Tom Herman had a productive Zoom call this week with Thornton, and since that time a key person in Thornton's circle has been in communication with members of the Longhorns staff. This recruitment is officially a realistic opportunity for Texas to land an outside difference maker. Thornton, like Jaden Alexis, is a total package recruit --- student body president with plans to major in engineering and study sports management. The theme of wanting to get away from home continues to be key in this recruitment for Texas, Oregon, Notre Dame, and North Carolina. For a recruitment still in its' early stages, the staff is excited about the communication level and positive feedback.

Andrew Mukuba, S, Austin LBJ - The best safety in-state continues to get closer to a decision. Not being able to take visits until January 1st, 2021, helps the Horns. Mukuba is getting antsy to lock up a spot in a class and right now UT is looking like the most likely beneficiary of that decision. At this time we don’t think Clemson is pushing to lock him up while Texas and Chris Ash are all in and have been for a while. We are keeping an eye on Arizona State as the Sun Devils are pushing the right buttons regarding playing time. If we had to predict, we’d say Mukuba decides in the next couple of weeks with the hometown school the most likely destination.

LJ Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair - We think this one reached a point where Johnson got cold feet, probably with he aid of numerous other schools telling him he might as well wait and see the results on the field at this point. Given his status, he’s a player with leverage and not in danger of losing his spot at the schools he truly likes. If the season is going to be a consideration, as it now appears like it will be, Johnson will want to see UT’s platoon run efficiently. He’s not hung up with being a volume back, in fact, it’s a turnoff. He just wants to enter a situation where he’ll have the opportunity to see the field and do his part. UT sets up well for that. We’re as confident as we were a month ago.

JJ Henry, WR, McKinney North - This recruitment is a tough one to handicap because A) Henry is hard to get a read on, and B) from our vantage, Texas is still trying to keep some optionality open as it works on JoJo Earle. There is still a glimmer of hope with the Aledo receiver. Henry does have plenty of advocates on staff and this could become an ‘all in’ recruitment in the coming weeks. He also likes Florida State, Ole Miss, and we sometimes hear A&M mentioned.

Jacoby Jackson, OT, Mansfield Summit - One of UT's most recent offers, the staff is certainly working on the 6-foot-6, 320-pounder. Baylor is the consensus leader at this point and thatmakes sense because whatever they’re doing recruiting the position, it’s working. We do think UT has a chance to angle in.

Erick Cade, OT, Denton Braswell - We don't mention the 6-foot-5.5, 313-pounder too much because he's still such an unknown in potential and projection. But he's big and strong, and has some interesting suitors. Holding 12 offers, it appears Texas, Alabama, LSU, and Arizona State are the four schools Cade has his eyes on. You‘ll notice ASU is always hanging around the rim. We’ve mentioned if Cade becomes a big priority that means UT missed elsewhere. We still think he’s a name to file away a little down the road rather ‘next man up’.

Max Merrill, OT, Strake Jesuit - This could be next man up. Merrill, at 6-foot-4, 275 holds 38 offers, including Colorado, Indiana, Purdue, Arizona State, Louisville, and virtually all the Ivy Leagues. He seems to have his eyes on two schools that have yet to offer - Texas and Stanford. A UT offer would be something Merrill would relish and push the Longhorns near the top of his list. Beware of the trees in Palo Alto. Jett Bush might actually help here. Merrill has some genuine upside.

Ty Buchanan, OT, Corpus Christi Calallen - Another of the next tier offensive tackles, at 6-foot-5, 280 pounds, Buchanan packs a solid punch and brings his lunch pail to work each day. With 30 offers in hand, only a few stand out - Texas Tech, USC, Oklahoma State, and Colorado. He speaks with Herb Hand often with Zoom meetings being the thing now. Like Jackson, it's tough to gauge his legitimate interest, but at this point, throw it on the wall and see if it sticks.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Baylor can’t get right.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns