Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray with 23 pts, 7 rebs and 4 assists. His mid-range off a screen is money tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been telling ppl for at least a month or two now that Murray's jumper is pretty good... And the team is better when he is aggressive tryi g to score and going to the basket... He needs at least 15 shots a game, imo... He has much more impact than anyone else

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ is WAY more comfortable now than earlier in the season. He's trusting his legs are sound again. Great to see. White and DJM hopefully will both be in the guard rotation for the next 4-5 years. Even if one is a bench guy (like Manu), these two players can make it happen when the Spurs get a solid roster in place at some point in the future (hopefully).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is playing better. Full stop. That's clearly the case. His shot is better, he has more confidence in getting to his spots, but he's not quite as wild as he used to be.

But I also don't know that he's being challenged defensively. Like Murray's handles aren't very good, but if no one is pressuring him, they are good enough for him to not dribble off his feet. His midrange consistency is really nice, and it's critical if he's to be a high-option player. But I still feel like it was a poor developmental choice to have him focus on those shots rather than threes and put-backs. Murray being able to get his own shot is nice, but him being able to play with other higher-option guys seemed more important, especially since the Spurs actively choose to bring in DeRozan rather than move Murray up. Yes, Murray's three has been better as of late, but he still doesn't seem comfortable shooting if it's not wide open. It was a really weird choice by Pop to go into this season with so many midrange shooters then try to choice two "designated floor-spacers" into the rotation to make up for it. Back a couple of months ago, I said that DJM, DMDR and LMA needed to start taking threes even if their percentages weren't good. We're seeing that with DJM and LMA, but DeRozan is still holding the team back in that regard.

I hope Murray remains a productive player. It's not realistic to expect him to average 20ppg without more improvement to his game, but he can play within himself and pick his spots and still get mid-teens points every night on decent efficiency. I think he'll have more games where he'll struggle though because mid-range shooting is rarely consistent, and he's getting a huge percentage of his points there. I feels like an unsustainable source of points, and he'll need to work in more efficient sources to secure his numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is playing better. Full stop. That's clearly the case. His shot is better, he has more confidence in getting to his spots, but he's not quite as wild as he used to be.

But I also don't know that he's being challenged defensively. Like Murray's handles aren't very good, but if no one is pressuring him, they are good enough for him to not dribble off his feet. His midrange consistency is really nice, and it's critical if he's to be a high-option player. But I still feel like it was a poor developmental choice to have him focus on those shots rather than threes and put-backs. Murray being able to get his own shot is nice, but him being able to play with other higher-option guys seemed more important, especially since the Spurs actively choose to bring in DeRozan rather than move Murray up. Yes, Murray's three has been better as of late, but he still doesn't seem comfortable shooting if it's not wide open. It was a really weird choice by Pop to go into this season with so many midrange shooters then try to choice two "designated floor-spacers" into the rotation to make up for it. Back a couple of months ago, I said that DJM, DMDR and LMA needed to start taking threes even if their percentages weren't good. We're seeing that with DJM and LMA, but DeRozan is still holding the team back in that regard.

I hope Murray remains a productive player. It's not realistic to expect him to average 20ppg without more improvement to his game, but he can play within himself and pick his spots and still get mid-teens points every night on decent efficiency. I think he'll have more games where he'll struggle though because mid-range shooting is rarely consistent, and he's getting a huge percentage of his points there. I feels like an unsustainable source of points, and he'll need to work in more efficient sources to secure his numbers.
    His entire shooting mechanics were garbage. I mean when he came in as a rookie he was taking 15 foot floaters bc his jump shot was so bad. You don’t just become a good 3 point shooter without a good midrange. You hear Reggie and D3 talk about it all the time. You start at like 12 feet and then work your way backwards.

Also teams today are so focused on the 3 ball that they are coaching to give up the open midrange shot. That’s the shot that coaches today preach to give up. Murray should have more open looks than not just bc of the defensive philosophy of today’s game. Contested 2s aren’t sustainable, but wide open ones are totally sustainable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You dumb s never learn do you?

gots with their knee jerk reactions

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed! Murray just won the Jazz game for Spurs and will start against OKC for a possible W on Sunday!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His shooting improvement is considerably better from where he was prior to the injury so there is no reason to believe it won’t continue to improve. He has a smooth shooting stroke and just needs to continue to improve on his footwork and balance. I don’t see anything in his mechanics (other than a bit slow) that he won’t be a very good 3pt shooter. As far as sustainability, as long as he stays aggressive, his average will rise. Also, not sure what game you watched but there was a few possessions where Murray shot with his man right on him. Lastly his defense will create offense opportunities as it did tonight.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

murray went 10/16 on 62% shooting and i counted 7 of those shots came using picks. he went 6/7 on 86% shooting using a pick and 4/9 on 44% shooting trying to score on his own. so murray shoots better using a pick.

the reason you are going to shoot better coming off a pick is because the defense is giving you the shot.

murray is going to score a lot of points for the spurs when the defense is giving us that shot. that is a good, dependable shot. when the defense is not giving us that shot, because the defender is going under the screen, murray is going to have to make the deep 2 or the 3 the defense is giving up or the defense is going to keep forcing us to try to make that shot.

what i want to see murray doing when the defender is going under the screen and trying to force us to shoot a deep 2 or a 3, is to wait for the defender to try to come up around the screen and then just pull the defender back into the screen and get the shot you want.

dont just take the screen you are given. line up and slam the defender back into a hard screen. you will shoot better.

but everything starts with coming off the pick and just making the pull up when the defense is giving you that shot. then you can work on making the deep 2 and the 3 now when the defense is giving you that shot. when you can do that, then the defense is going to start sending the double team at you. and then we can really start playing like the spurs.

murray comes off the pick and when the big steps up, hit the wing, hit the roller, hit the corner. one day i hope we get to see that play. but all that comes down to murray making the shots the defense is going to give him when he is using a pick. and all that starts with coming off the pick and making the pull up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    32 assist 3 turnovers during the RRT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte ting on haters. At least a breath of fresh air in the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume Pop is trying to develop him like Tony. The midrange was Tony's weapon.

Also the biggest trait DJ has is his fearlessness. The kid is clutch cause he's not scared of the big moment. White needs some of that at ude

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume Pop is trying to develop him like Tony. The midrange was Tony's weapon.

Also the biggest trait DJ has is his fearlessness. The kid is clutch cause he's not scared of the big moment. White needs some of that at ude
    I agree on that bolded statement. I have admired that from him from the very beginning, even when the skills were very raw and needing polishing. Him being able to develop those skills is the real eye opener. He already had the leadership, the compe ive streak, and the fearlessness. The future looks bright if he's able to sustain it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew from the beginning that I couldn’t really judge him until February. It just takes time coming back from that type of injury to play well/ trust your body. Not only that but Pop didn’t do him any favors by BOTH starting him and placing him on minutes restriction. IMO it was one or the other and not both. But Dejounte clearly has his legs under him now, he’s clearly studied the tape, he understands his sweet spots on the floor and is running the offense now much better.

Sidenote: how tf don’t opposing players just set a screen on Forbes every possession with their star player and whoever Forbes is originally guarding? The dude can’t fight over a screen to save his life and is getting roasted by like 3rd/4th options. I’m surprised they don’t do more to have the 1st option switch on him bc it’s a guaranteed bucket almost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread just gets better and better.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what a game by dejounte vs okc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice 2 games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol ig takeoverr boi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Murray staring is one of the reasons this team is garbage. This dude can't run an offense, doesn't know how to run in transition and is reluctant to shoot. White is much better and coming into the season I thought that was laughable but when watching the Spurs I feel so much more comfortable watching White run the show. Then you have Spurs fans on twitter that defend DJ like he's god but he sucks right now and if he's your starting PG you will be in the lottery for years. If the Spurs don't get a top 5 pick I'll be glad when they Draft Nico Mannon as the PG of the future.
    This whole thread is gold tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This whole thread is gold tbh
    This is why I don't take anyone here with even a grain of seriousness.

Ever.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes dumber than a rock. Worst pg. Worse than lonzo
    Brilliant take. Tbh Lonzo looking like a hall of famer compared to Murray, an actual all star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brilliant take. Tbh Lonzo looking like a hall of famer compared to Murray, an actual all star.
    I'm no fan of the dad, but I hate that Lonzo is going through these injuries.
    He's pretty fun to watch.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm no fan of the dad, but I hate that Lonzo is going through these injuries.
    He's pretty fun to watch.
    I suppose it could happen to anyone but it sure does seem like his dad just over extended him way too early. He definitely looked like a good fit for Chicago. Would have been real interesting had he stayed healthy.

Thread Information