Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a contingent of Spurs fans on Twitter who overrate the out of the young talent on this team. I've heard everything from Derrick White is a top 10 shooting guard to Derrick White is a better Brandon Roy the like this is disgustinghttps://mobile.twitter.com/AssassinateHate/status/1225931183009206272

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have the physical tools to be really good, but neither has the mental toughness required.

I can't believe we are 40 games into White's 3rd or 4th year and the mother er still won't shoot more than 5 times in a game. Same problem with Dejounte.
    And the dumb s are scared to shoot 3s even though they have good percentages.

Lonnie is younger, but I really am not super impressed with either of them.

They just seem to lack the will to be more than very solid bench guys even though there is plenty of opportunity to try to do more on our weak-ass team.

Oh well. It sucks, but we can't make them want it. That has to be innate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have the physical tools to be really good, but neither has the mental toughness required.

I can't believe we are 40 games into White's 3rd or 4th year and the mother er still won't shoot more than 5 times in a game. Same problem with Dejounte.
    And the dumb s are scared to shoot 3s even though they have good percentages.

Lonnie is younger, but I really am not super impressed with either of them.

They just seem to lack the will to be more than very solid bench guys even though there is plenty of opportunity to try to do more on our weak-ass team.

Oh well. It sucks, but we can't make them want it. That has to be innate.
    Bend over, I’ll show you a physical tool

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is legit. He proved it last season. I can't say the same about Delonte Murray or Walker who never showed they can handle a significant role

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is legit. He proved it last season. I can't say the same about Delonte Murray or Walker who never showed they can handle a significant

role

I root for Derrick white I use to play ball with him when he was a kid we lived in the same neighborhood when he was in high school so just to see him in the NBA I support but he's naturally a low key guy and it's that mentality that holds him back. Out of those 3 he's the one I bet to break out though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is legit. He proved it last season. I can't say the same about Delonte Murray or Walker who never showed they can handle a significant role
    White is more than legit. It is shameful how he got robbed of the starting role. I am actually impressed he keeps showing up positive, given the obvious bias Pop has for Murray. Hope he'll try to get out of here for his sake, he is a starter in the league for sure.

Poor Murray can't be faulted, really. Bad injury. He is exciting to watch when locked on on D, even if he takes more gambles than Rondo on steals. But if you can't shoot, you can't play PG in the NBA. At the very best, you can have a Rubio career. And he is by no means a Rubio talent, far from it. So what role can he play? Sporadic minutes of tight D and fastbreaks, not much more than that.

Lonnie...well, he can go to the dunk contest once a year -if he doesn't clank dunks too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I hate is that Lonnie RARELY gets passes come his way. I’m actually kinda surprised that he rarely calls his own number when those passes do come. Kid knows what he can do, that he’s good but doesn’t force the issue. Kudos to him.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ's hands are too loose with the basketball. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he can handle the complexities of NBA playmaking, and has to resort to his athleticism, and that's about it. Probably kind of like Francisco Elson. Jumps like a deer, runs like a deer, thinks like a deer. I'd like for him to prove me wrong, but sadly, that's what I see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dj locked on d? fkn clown hasnt locked down anyone...still living off that nba consolation all defensive 2nd team participation award the league gave him?....fck he didnt lock anyone down that year also

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Executive summary of the above -- "Losing sucks."

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On another note, LMA is a big part of the loosing especially for the money he makes and no one really ever mentions it. He should be moved sooner than later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I can't say I'm as optimistic about this 'core' as I was pre-season.. Derrick White is inconsistent, Lonnie has had really one good game in his career at the NBA level.. DJ I will hold off until he has more time to heal as year 2 from the injury usually unlocks a new level of explosiveness from the athlete.

I see the dumbass "you're not a real fan if you complain about the team" posse on the Spurs Instagram comments and it's re ed IMO.. I'm perfectly fine with the team having some losing seasons, but I want to feel like we have a plan.. and at this point I can't say I see where this team is headed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I hate is that Lonnie RARELY gets passes come his way. I’m actually kinda surprised that he rarely calls his own number when those passes do come. Kid knows what he can do, that he’s good but doesn’t force the issue. Kudos to him.
    When he does get the pass he hesitates and shoots out of rhythm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When he does get the pass he hesitates and shoots out of rhythm
    Yeah, it's not some cool and collected thing on his part. My guess is that Pop is in his ear telling Lonnie to be three-and-D, and it makes Walker hesitate on any shot other than the corner-three. In reality, Pop needs to run plays for Walker, because with Gay and White on the court, the offense won't naturally allow for a third ball-handler. Lonnie definitely presses when he gets the ball. He's not going to ruin the possession running into a brick wall, but he will try to exploit any crease he finds with no real ability to finish. If he got more plays called for him, not only would he be better in situations where he has the ball and needs to attack, but he'd be less likely to try to attack just to get a touch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, the Spurs hesitate on open threes way more than other teams. It's pretty galling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is disgusting? How? Its facts. Nephew's numbers improving go hand in hand with Pop slowly shifting the offense away from an old vet (Enrique). Neph didn't look like an MVP candidate or Top 3 guy in the league until that shift was complete and the reins had been fully handed over to him.

I think saying any one of the young three can step right in and do what DeMar is doing with higher usage is foolish. I do think Derrick and Lonnie can show a lot more with more minutes, touches, and overall involvement in the offense though. I also think Murray is better suited as an off ball two guard next to White. Let him play defense, run out in transition, spot up from three a little, slash and pull up for midrange off of others penetration (not dancing around going 1 on 1 as the PG), attack the basket for offensive rebounds. He still brings a lot to the table. He's just not a PG, not sure why Pop insists on fitting a square peg into a round hole. Even the rare times White is out there with Murray, Pop has Murray running the point.

I guess Pop being an idiot at this point shouldn't surprise me though given the Brent experiment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can’t flourish until lma/ddr are gone. Pop runs the offense through them. Everyone else has to fall in line.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This new trend of baking the young guys is fascinating. Pop s are so desperate to shift the blame from his horrible coaching and personnel decisions.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is disgusting? How? Its facts. Nephew's numbers improving go hand in hand with Pop slowly shifting the offense away from an old vet (Enrique). Neph didn't look like an MVP candidate or Top 3 guy in the league until that shift was complete and the reins had been fully handed over to him.

I think saying any one of the young three can step right in and do what DeMar is doing with higher usage is foolish. I do think Derrick and Lonnie can show a lot more with more minutes, touches, and overall involvement in the offense though. I also think Murray is better suited as an off ball two guard next to White. Let him play defense, run out in transition, spot up from three a little, slash and pull up for midrange off of others penetration (not dancing around going 1 on 1 as the PG), attack the basket for offensive rebounds. He still brings a lot to the table. He's just not a PG, not sure why Pop insists on fitting a square peg into a round hole. Even the rare times White is out there with Murray, Pop has Murray running the point.

I guess Pop being an idiot at this point shouldn't surprise me though given the Brent experiment.
    It's disgusting because even when LA was out those dudes had every opportunity to score the rock. If each one of them just scored 8 points we win that bulls game. These clowns on twitter will say that Derrick can do what DeMar does if he had more time and touches which isn't true. Do you believe that Derrick White is a better Brandon Roy as well?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can blame these kids if you want but this team lacks leadership...starting with Pop. You seriously underestimate Forbes getting 3rd most minutes and Belinelli getting minutes in crunch time. You want these kids to improve but what message does it send them when 2 turnstiles get minutes in the 4th quarter and the game is in doubt? That’s what these kids are learning.

This whole “learn the game in Austin” ideology is ok when you have a team that plays the right way. They don’t have that anymore and Pop needs to start doing his ing job instead of hiding under the guise of “learn the game first”. How about teach these kids the game Pop? Forbes and Belinelli? What excuses could you possibly make why the kids don’t get more minutes in the 4th quarter? Pop has given up defensively for guys that are terrible but try really hard. Since they’re both tapped out potentially that makes it ok? Disgusting.

And articles like that “Forbes is doing all he can despite his haters” in the express news awhile back are perpetuating this. It’s ok Forbesie you’re trying so hard that’s all we ask for. $&@#ing bull$&@%!!!

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theres still hope for white to become maybe a solid 4th/5th option. i still got faith juice for lonnie.

poeltl/lyles are on track to be inoffensively OK

but djm, ford, belli? nuh uh. cut em

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's disgusting because even when LA was out those dudes had every opportunity to score the rock. If each one of them just scored 8 points we win that bulls game. These clowns on twitter will say that Derrick can do what DeMar does if he had more time and touches which isn't true. Do you believe that Derrick White is a better Brandon Roy as well?
    WTF does LMA being out have to do with any of them? Does that mean more minutes for any of those guys? More touches, more plays ran for them?

No. White still played his 22 minutes, Lonnie under 15, Murray 22. The guys that benefit from someone like LMA being out (aside from Yakob obviously) are vets like DeMar, Patty, and to a lesser extent Brent. They have the green light and/or have the offense ran through them more than usual. If Brent wasn't such a g-leaguer and didn't struggle to get his shot off he'd benefit the most from a guy like LMA being out, since he has the biggest green light on the team with Pop thinking he's mini-Curry and all.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spur fans overrate their players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s almost impossible to tell how good they are bc of the ty coaching tbh. Can White and Murray co-exist? It’s February and we still don’t know the answer ffs. How good are they defensively? Impossible to tell bc they always play next to the worst defender on the team. Shooting is all about rhythm. Well they don’t have any bc their minutes fluctuate daily. White loves playing pick n roll b-ball but Pop plays our best screener 12 minutes a game. White had a great connection with LMA last season, how many minutes do those two get together. How many plays are designed for Lonnie to get an easy basket to up his confidence? None. Does Pop play fast to benefit his young three? No. I honestly don’t know what to make of any of them and that’s 100% on the coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is more than legit. It is shameful how he got robbed of the starting role. I am actually impressed he keeps showing up positive, given the obvious bias Pop has for Murray. Hope he'll try to get out of here for his sake, he is a starter in the league for sure.

Poor Murray can't be faulted, really. Bad injury. He is exciting to watch when locked on on D, even if he takes more gambles than Rondo on steals. But if you can't shoot, you can't play PG in the NBA. At the very best, you can have a Rubio career. And he is by no means a Rubio talent, far from it. So what role can he play? Sporadic minutes of tight D and fastbreaks, not much more than that.

Lonnie...well, he can go to the dunk contest once a year -if he doesn't clank dunks too.
    I completely agree that Derrick is just the most recent player that Pop has mishandled badly. But Dijon has been mishandled, too, albeit in a different way. His shooting percentages indicate that he could become a very good SG. But Pop is determined to force him into the PG position, for which he has very little ap ude. If Pop didn't overload Dijon's plate with these additional responsibilities, but instead had him concentrating on shooting the ball (especially 3s) and told the kid he was the teams SG, I think Murray would prove himself more than capable. Than hand the keys to Derrick, as he once did Tony, and play those guys more minutes and more minutes together, and we would have some backcourt. But as long as Dumbmar and LMA have a collective usage rate over 50% and Pop insists on giving each his ISOs, it is no surprise that neither Dijon nor Derrick feels free to call his own number with any regularity. Sure they are gun-shy playing in the shadow of the team's 2 Pop-ordained pseudo-stars.

Thread Information