View Poll Results: Should the Spurs sign DeMar DeRozan to a contract extension?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 22.58%
  • No

48 77.42%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DDR wants the most money, he'll sign the player option he has with the Spurs. If the Spurs then want to try to trade that, good luck to them.

He will not agree to an S and T to be traded to another loser. Unless he really is nuts.

If he doesn't care about making the most money, he'll decline the player option, and tell his agent to start calling teams that look like they'll be winners next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ATL. Not going to bring in a guy like Derozan there imo.

But all others have a great case
    Yeah, taking the ball out of Trae's hands so that Dumbmar can get his stats would be way stoopid.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the hornets are always begging to be fleeced.

demar and the spurs 2020 2nd round pick for batum and the hornets 2020 1st round pick i guess...
    why would we take a worse player with a big contract as well and a low pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but the ceiling with DeRozan is pretty low as we all know.

So, why even bother carrying on with what you know won't get you to a contender status.
    Because there's a long road to becoming a contender, a lot of steps along the way. Some people seem to think that after a couple of lottery picks they'll be a contender within 5 years again but that's a very unrealistic expectation. Chances are the Spurs are at a precipice of a 10 year long rebuild that would take them to the same place they were at last season.

DeRozan isn't going to make you a contender, but he undoubtedly makes this team better and being the only player able to drive and kick ( aside from White when he feels like it ), he could help the development of some of the younger players. Of course only on a reasonable contract, nowhere near the max. But if you think taking the ball from DDR's hands and putting it Murray's or Walker's won't make a difference then you're crazy. The Spurs will be a worse team without DeRozan and even if his play doesn't always translate into wins it does make the offense flow better. Just imagine Murray driving and kicking 10 times a game instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if the Spurs wanted to he won't resign with this show. Nobody in their right mind would

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think too much people is assuming DeRozan would like to stay. It might be the case that either Spurs overpay DeRozan or he decides to sign somewhere else. The San Antonio Spurs are far from being an interesting program right now. Say goodbye to the perennial contender halo surrounding our team, making it appealing for a lot of players.

We have to change the way we've been thinking the last 20 years: we are not a winning team, the big 3 is gone, there are no future all-stars in the roster, and Popovich is not the great coach he was anymore so there is not a lot of reasons for players to come to San Antonio.

I'm afraid Spurs will try to sign whoever wants to play for them. And the pool of players will be quite limited.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. The team needs a culture change and players like DeRozan and Aldrige are born losers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hoping to get historically lucky like the Raptors have in recent years.
    How exactly did get lucky the Raptors?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly did get lucky the Raptors?
    How many MVP level players have actively forced their way out in the middle of a contract, in the process creating so much bad blood and reducing their own trade value so much, that a very meh offer was acceptable? I can think of one in the history of the NBA...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many MVP level players have actively forced their way out in the middle of a contract, in the process creating so much bad blood and reducing their own trade value so much, that a very meh offer was acceptable? I can think of one in the history of the NBA...
    In other words 29 teams got lucky, and the Raptors simply made the best perceived offer.

But I don't think TD21 referred to Kawhi, he wrote "recent yearS" as if they got lucky multiple times. Which I don't dispute, I just asked how.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think too much people is assuming DeRozan would like to stay. It might be the case that either Spurs overpay DeRozan or he decides to sign somewhere else. The San Antonio Spurs are far from being an interesting program right now. Say goodbye to the perennial contender halo surrounding our team, making it appealing for a lot of players.

We have to change the way we've been thinking the last 20 years: we are not a winning team, the big 3 is gone, there are no future all-stars in the roster, and Popovich is not the great coach he was anymore so there is not a lot of reasons for players to come to San Antonio.

I'm afraid Spurs will try to sign whoever wants to play for them. And the pool of players will be quite limited.
    The Spurs did not attract players from other teams very often even when they were good because most of them did not want to be coached hard by the pre-2019 Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn’t about being a contender. There is no difference in a 20 win team and low 30’s win team (and it’s not hard to be a low 30s win team). It’s just not.

There is zero justification for giving DeRozan an extension. Im sorry, it’s true. Its not even that Derozan sucks or anything like that but his time with SA is so clearly up that it would be devastating to pay him to keep him.

I’m not even saying the draft and “tanking” is the only way; I’m fine getting other free agents to do what some of you think DeRozan can do. Just not him.

LMA has to go. They are officially on the treadmill now and both of those guys need to go and SA should be very careful that they aren’t the team that pays those players.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR would be good for any team as a 2nd or 3rd option. He's just terrible as your best player given his lack of a clutch gene so my preference is for a sign/trade or let him walk. I rather ride with Murray, White and Walker. I still think Murray will be a star despite some of the naysayers. This offense needs to move away from iso ball and use Murray's and Walker's speed. Just be patient and trust the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because there's a long road to becoming a contender, a lot of steps along the way. Some people seem to think that after a couple of lottery picks they'll be a contender within 5 years again but that's a very unrealistic expectation. Chances are the Spurs are at a precipice of a 10 year long rebuild that would take them to the same place they were at last season.

DeRozan isn't going to make you a contender, but he undoubtedly makes this team better and being the only player able to drive and kick ( aside from White when he feels like it ), he could help the development of some of the younger players. Of course only on a reasonable contract, nowhere near the max. But if you think taking the ball from DDR's hands and putting it Murray's or Walker's won't make a difference then you're crazy. The Spurs will be a worse team without DeRozan and even if his play doesn't always translate into wins it does make the offense flow better. Just imagine Murray driving and kicking 10 times a game instead.
    You only pay players like DeRozan if they help you win. Who cares if the offense flows better if it does not translate to wins? If that is the case, and you are going to win 35 games with DeRozan, better to win 20 games without him, have flexibility and give yourself a shot to do more than just scrap for nothing.

Plus, defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get rid of demar

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR would be good for any team as a 2nd or 3rd option. ...

There are teams that would disagree with even that much, since he doesn't shoot 3-pointers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What this really boils down to are two things IMO:

1) No one wants to pay a guy who at his best, didn’t seem to impact winning all that much but more importantly is at an age where its so clear his best days are behind him. Unfortunately in the NBA you are paying for what they have done vs what they will do and there is zero chance that DeRozan lives up to his next deal 2-4 years from now.

2) But even if you dont agree with #1, the real reason it makes no sense is because the amount of work it would take to build a team around him that justifies keeping him is next to impossible. Will SA ever get a talent next to him as good as LMA? Even if they had max cap space? I find that hard to believe for many reasons. But even if they can get one younger all star to come, they need to literally reshape the entire roster to fit the modern nba. Mills, Carroll, Beli, Bryn, Rudy, Lyles all need to go and be replaced by not just warm bodies, but carefully crafted players that fit DeRozan’s style of play and cover up for his glaring weaknesses.

That really isn’t possible so what is the point again of keeping him? It really isn’t hard to be a 35 win team in the NBA. You can blow a couple of drafts and still get there in a few years. But even if you don’t agree, there is no difference in 35 and 20 wins like I said. You are bad either way and that 15 wins doesn’t fool anyone.

To jump from 35 to 45 and be a legit playoff team not fighting vs 4-5 other teams just to get swept? Yeah, that is the hard part people can’t take for granted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You only pay players like DeRozan if they help you win. Who cares if the offense flows better if it does not translate to wins? If that is the case, and you are going to win 35 games with DeRozan, better to win 20 games without him, have flexibility and give yourself a shot to do more than just scrap for nothing.

Plus, defense.
    Disagree - you don't get rid of good players for the sake of it unless you get a compensation, say a good offer in a sign and trade. By this I don't mean overpaying him and this is the tricky part - what is the price that would make DeRozan valuable. I can't say I know the answer to this but there's certainly a price that the FO would deem fair for him. A 3yr/$75-80mil extension would IMO be better than losing him for nothing or for a late 1st round pick. If he wants much more than what they're willing to give him then obviously they shouldn't sign an albatross and should try to work a sign and trade.

His defense isn't that bad. He's passable most nights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What this really boils down to are two things IMO:

1) No one wants to pay a guy who at his best, didn’t seem to impact winning all that much but more importantly is at an age where its so clear his best days are behind him. Unfortunately in the NBA you are paying for what they have done vs what they will do and there is zero chance that DeRozan lives up to his next deal 2-4 years from now.

2) But even if you dont agree with #1, the real reason it makes no sense is because the amount of work it would take to build a team around him that justifies keeping him is next to impossible. Will SA ever get a talent next to him as good as LMA? Even if they had max cap space? I find that hard to believe for many reasons. But even if they can get one younger all star to come, they need to literally reshape the entire roster to fit the modern nba. Mills, Carroll, Beli, Bryn, Rudy, Lyles all need to go and be replaced by not just warm bodies, but carefully crafted players that fit DeRozan’s style of play and cover up for his glaring weaknesses.

That really isn’t possible so what is the point again of keeping him? It really isn’t hard to be a 35 win team in the NBA. You can blow a couple of drafts and still get there in a few years. But even if you don’t agree, there is no difference in 35 and 20 wins like I said. You are bad either way and that 15 wins doesn’t fool anyone.

To jump from 35 to 45 and be a legit playoff team not fighting vs 4-5 other teams just to get swept? Yeah, that is the hard part people can’t take for granted.
    Cant you apply your first point to LeBron last year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree - you don't get rid of good players for the sake of it unless you get a compensation, say a good offer in a sign and trade. By this I don't mean overpaying him and this is the tricky part - what is the price that would make DeRozan valuable. I can't say I know the answer to this but there's certainly a price that the FO would deem fair for him. A 3yr/$75-80mil extension would IMO be better than losing him for nothing or for a late 1st round pick. If he wants much more than what they're willing to give him then obviously they shouldn't sign an albatross and should try to work a sign and trade.

His defense isn't that bad. He's passable most nights.
    25M year is about what he makes now and even with LMA he can’t make a winning impact. That would be crippling IMO.

A first round pick (plus ensuing cap space / flexibility) would be fine. There is no way to justify him making what he’s making now especially knowing he isn’t getting better.

You can get rid of “good” players when you are the Spurs; they have no future with him and as much as it sucks its the right call. They aren’t winning and I am of the mindset that 0 wins to 35 is no different in reality. That means you are a bad team.

Now, you can be a 35 win team like NO or MEM with a future and that makes sense. But SA is the opposite direction and you can sign other cheaper FA and get to 35 wins if that is your goal.

And he’s not a good defender. He is passable in terms of effort and low expectations for him, but I don’t confuse that with being actually good. It’s why his impact metrics are always off unlike 90% of other all stars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cant you apply your first point to LeBron last year?
    Lebron is 100x the player DeRozan is so no. And players like AD aren’t forcing their way to SA to play with DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron is 100x the player DeRozan is so no. And players like AD aren’t forcing their way to SA to play with DeRozan.
    Im not saying he isnt. But its truly subjective when making claims about DeRozan not having any impact on winning when he has been a key cog for winning teams, just like LeBron. Just because he has one losing year doesnt change that fact. It didnt for LeBron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im not saying he isnt. But its truly subjective when making claims about DeRozan not having any impact on winning when he has been a key cog for winning teams, just like LeBron. Just because he has one losing year doesnt change that fact. It didnt for LeBron.
    The difference is we are not really sure DeRozan has had an impact on winning. Unlike Lebron, whose metrics undeniably show impact, DeRozan’s do not.

Not just a one year outlier too; unlike basically virtually all other “top tier players” he’s the one CONSISTENTLY grading out as.....meh impact wise.

Lebron has won multiple les and crippled franchises once he left. DeRozan? Won no les and his franchise won a le when he left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you believe the narrative, MIA wants to keep flexibility for Giannis the next summer so they seem unlikely. Some think that was one of the reasons they were OK moving Winslow now for Iggys shorter deal.

Of the remaining, only one that makes sense is DET. They need to put butts in seats and there is the connection to the coach.

More likely, Spurs work with agent to find a trade partner that gives spurs some value.
    Doubt that coach would want him given that he had to bench him in a game 7...

Thread Information