View Poll Results: Should the Spurs sign DeMar DeRozan to a contract extension?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 22.58%
  • No

48 77.42%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And to this season (the remainder of it at least) that part that is perplexing about not playing the youth and making no lineup changes is that if SA is truly thinking about keeping DeRozan should he not exercise his option, they absolutely need to see him surrounded by the youngsters for long stretches to make a determination on that, no?

Keep him with the youth and is he really a good fit for that? Keep him and use the youth and picks as trade bait? How can they know that when they are not giving heavy minutes with DeRozan/White/Lonnie/Murray?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because there's a long road to becoming a contender, a lot of steps along the way. Some people seem to think that after a couple of lottery picks they'll be a contender within 5 years again but that's a very unrealistic expectation. Chances are the Spurs are at a precipice of a 10 year long rebuild that would take them to the same place they were at last season.

DeRozan isn't going to make you a contender, but he undoubtedly makes this team better and being the only player able to drive and kick ( aside from White when he feels like it ), he could help the development of some of the younger players. Of course only on a reasonable contract, nowhere near the max. But if you think taking the ball from DDR's hands and putting it Murray's or Walker's won't make a difference then you're crazy. The Spurs will be a worse team without DeRozan and even if his play doesn't always translate into wins it does make the offense flow better. Just imagine Murray driving and kicking 10 times a game instead.
    I rather Murray on the team than DDR .. Murray driving and kicking to DDR is a dud...trade him for an actual 3nD guy and then we will be saying something...you're assuming we would be worse without DDR just like everyone ASSUMED the thunder would be worse without PG and Russ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPG you are even giving them for granted they will get to 35 wins. That’s not a given. And they have been healthy all season mostly and don’t even rest players on the pace that they once did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DPG you are even giving them for granted they will get to 35 wins. That’s not a given. And they have been healthy all season mostly and don’t even rest players on the pace that they once did.
    Let's also not understate this fact: They're trying. Like, really hard.

The Spurs just suck that bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are people assuming that DeRozan wants to stay, even for more money? The Spurs are a sinking franchise, there's really no reason to assume that it's going to right itself with a senile old man running things and no notable prospects on the roster.

How are the Spurs more attractive than ty teams like the Pistons, at this point?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly did get lucky the Raptors?
    Like I said, they didn't have an expendable piece to give up that had the capacity to hurt long term (like Brown would have the Celtics, for example). They got a superstar and elite role player for essentially spare parts because of cir stances out of their control . . . also, the Warriors had 5 of their top 7 players injured in the Finals.

Even given the cir stances, it's doubtful any other team would have accepted the type of offer the Spurs did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 things. The league as a whole doesn't value him as much as he values himself. Let's say that we did sign Demar with the intention of trading him, which team would actually be in play to trade for him AND be willing to give up a first rounder. It won't be a WC team bc Pop won't want to ship him in conference and I don't see any team that would be willing to trade a pick for him. The East playoff teams don't need him and the lower teams (half the damn conference) don't value DeRozan as worth giving up a top 10 pick. Like where is this magical team that people are clamoring about with this whole s&t scenario.

Second, I believe it's best to let DeRozan walk. It sucks and it's unfortunate to both parties (him and us) that this is where we're at, but currently we are starting Forbes bc DeRozan can't shoot the 3 ball. You can point to Murray not being a threat, but atleast he's taking 3s. Demar won't even attempt a 3 in a game which is beyond ridiculous when Brook Lopez and Dedmon are attempting 3s ffs. He is never going to work in our system for that alone. We already signed DJ long term and like it or not, Demar doesn't fit with him which leads to us having to play ty ass Forbes and having the worst defense in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn’t about being a contender. There is no difference in a 20 win team and low 30’s win team (and it’s not hard to be a low 30s win team). It’s just not.
    Of course there is. Do you know how insanely high a WAR of 11 would be? Ignoring that and that the Spurs are on a mid-30s pace despite far underperforming their talent level and not even having a high talent level, it's not hard to be a plus-.500 team. The reason why some teams repeatedly struggle to get there is because their organizational direction is terrible. That can manifest itself in a poor locker room. Or hiring bad coaches. Most often, it comes from constantly fetishizing rebuilding and youth. If the Spurs just beat the bad teams on their schedule, they'd be a high-40s team. That's without them adding complimentary players that they refuse to bring in instead of playing Forbes. A 30ish-win team can improve into a plus-.500 team much more easily than can a 20-win team. I don't even know why I have to say it. It should be obvious.

LMA has to go. They are officially on the treadmill now and both of those guys need to go and SA should be very careful that they aren’t the team that pays those players.
    Or else what, they'll be on the bad side of "meh" for a few more years? How would they ever survive that? Memphis maxed out Conley and kept giving Randolph and Allen contracts well into their decline. They maxed out Parsons even though he was already breaking down physically and refused to deal Marc Gasol while his value was high. Yet, folks hold them up as an example of tanking done right even though they didn't trade away their core until they were well into their rebuild. Memphis held onto guys even when they were bad enough to get a top-five pick, and yet people still act like they were the opposite of the Spurs.

Not being a contender isn't a horrible fate. Anyone here who follows any other sports likely roots for a team that has gone stretches of years not being a threat to win a le. Fandom stays intact, everyone survives. It's okay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course there is. Do you know how insanely high a WAR of 11 would be? Ignoring that and that the Spurs are on a mid-30s pace despite far underperforming their talent level and not even having a high talent level, it's not hard to be a plus-.500 team. The reason why some teams repeatedly struggle to get there is because their organizational direction is terrible. That can manifest itself in a poor locker room. Or hiring bad coaches. Most often, it comes from constantly fetishizing rebuilding and youth. If the Spurs just beat the bad teams on their schedule, they'd be a high-40s team. That's without them adding complimentary players that they refuse to bring in instead of playing Forbes. A 30ish-win team can improve into a plus-.500 team much more easily than can a 20-win team. I don't even know why I have to say it. It should be obvious.

Or else what, they'll be on the bad side of "meh" for a few more years? How would they ever survive that? Memphis maxed out Conley and kept giving Randolph and Allen contracts well into their decline. They maxed out Parsons even though he was already breaking down physically and refused to deal Marc Gasol while his value was high. Yet, folks hold them up as an example of tanking done right even though they didn't trade away their core until they were well into their rebuild. Memphis held onto guys even when they were bad enough to get a top-five pick, and yet people still act like they were the opposite of the Spurs.

Not being a contender isn't a horrible fate. Anyone here who follows any other sports likely roots for a team that has gone stretches of years not being a threat to win a le. Fandom stays intact, everyone survives. It's okay.
    Why does everyone keep saying le? I don’t care about that. Yeah it’s the goal but not an expectation. It’s about not being able to even be a good team with Derozan; forget contender.

It’s super easy to be a mid 30 win team. There’s plenty of them and you get there by keeping high floor low ceiling players.

The reason you see polar opposites too is bc no one aims for that because it’s pointless. Sure, not the end of the world to be a non contender. But having no direction, a low ceiling and no future is what bad franchises aim for.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 02-10-2020 at 10:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does everyone keep saying le? I don’t care about that. Yeah it’s the goal but not an expectation. It’s about not being able to even be a good team with Derozan; forget contender.

It’s super easy to be a mid 30 win team. There’s plenty of them and you get there by keeping high floor low ceiling players.

The reason you see polar opposites too is bc no one aims for that because it’s pointless. Sure, not the end of the world to be a non contender. But having no direction, a low ceiling and no future is what bad franchises aim for.
    This game tonight clearly illustrates this team is straight up incompetent right now. A little direction would be nice. Pop's in charge of a listless ship. End of story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, no, no... won't/can't shoot threes, not a defender, terrible body language, a decade of bad advanced stats that get worse in the playoffs. What's the appeal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, no, no... won't/can't shoot threes, not a defender, terrible body language, a decade of bad advanced stats that get worse in the playoffs. What's the appeal?
    theres none anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs did not attract players from other teams very often even when they were good because most of them did not want to be coached hard by the pre-2019 Pop.
    Nonetheless, Spurs managed to sign what they needed to sign around the big 3 in order to complete the roster and contend for the chapionship. The big 3 + Popovich supossed a winning guarantee and some real le chances. Now, all that is gone so the Spurs' free agency market is even smaller.

Let's assume the team doesn't go to the playoffs and have a look to the roster and franchise from an NBA player perspective. Maybe the question is: can the Spurs sign a better player than Demar DeRozan?

Thread Information