Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I personally am not saying SA is evil or intentionally screwing him over. But the level of incompetence right now is staggering. He’s remaining a lot more professional than nearly any other play would be is the point and SA should do right by him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said once and I'll say it again. The "edgelords" would have made better front office decisions the past 4 years than brian Wright

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You gotta think a bit of it is Pop being a vindictive head for whatever reason tbh. Sure he's incompetent but obviously something personal happened and Pop is making sure to dole out his corporate punishment bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the Spurs treated Carroll, I hope he (with his agent or lawyer) is sticking to his guns about wanting the full $15 million that the Spurs guaranteed to pay him. Carroll will be 34 next season, close to the end of his career, with probably little chance of another substantial contract. That is probably the delay in the buyout, Carroll wants the full amount, and the Spurs are hoping to wear him down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He definitely might be washed as a player, but it's so strange that he hasn't been given a chance to contribute. When has being washed ever stopped Pop from playing somebody, anyways? Why did they even sign him in the first place? This is a below. 500 team, it's not like they couldn't change up to try something different.

Also, as somebody said earlier, he's mostly been a pro about this. You would think Pop would appreciate that after dealing with Aldridge and Kawhi demanding trades, but I guess not.

In all likelihood, Carroll probably blocked Forbes's shot in practice and is now in the doghouse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He definitely might be washed as a player, but it's so strange that he hasn't been given a chance to contribute. When has being washed ever stopped Pop from playing somebody, anyways? Why did they even sign him in the first place? This is a below. 500 team, it's not like they couldn't change up to try something different.

Also, as somebody said earlier, he's mostly been a pro about this. You would think Pop would appreciate that after dealing with Aldridge and Kawhi demanding trades, but I guess not.

In all likelihood, Carroll probably blocked Forbes's shot in practice and is now in the doghouse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said once and I'll say it again. The "edgelords" would have made better front office decisions the past 4 years than brian Wright
    absolutely. Not only that, but the edgelord committee would've probably had this team still at contender status.

I just hope at one point we get the whole story about Carroll. The media narrative is way too positive about Senilovich to the point where nobody questions him about anything. He's the worst coach in the NBA. The Team USA stuff was just the first crack in his legacy, I want him to fail at the olympics too. He needs to get exposed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude goes from posting 10+ points a game last two seasons a d possible mentor here to on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - thoughts on Carroll liking tweets with this strong of language and how SA is being viewed here?

TimVP is one of us now

Welcome to the dark side

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way the Spurs treated Carroll, I hope he (with his agent or lawyer) is sticking to his guns about wanting the full $15 million that the Spurs guaranteed to pay him. Carroll will be 34 next season, close to the end of his career, with probably little chance of another substantial contract. That is probably the delay in the buyout, Carroll wants the full amount, and the Spurs are hoping to wear him down.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with the last sentence. Spurs are hoping to wear him out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joffrey Louvergne was allowed to wildly careen shot after shot for a year but DeMarre can't get 5 minutes? I hope someone can officially can explain this eventually. Did he show up in a maga hat or something lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what sucks is this is probably the awful truth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What must have happened was that on the very first team practice, Carroll saw Forbes and loudly asked "What's this little G-league scrub doing here chucking?" and his fate as a Spur was forever sealed, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what happened between the end of preseason and beginning of regular season. He played in 4 preseason games and averaged 16mpg. Then he's been pretty much DNP all season. I wonder if he scoffed the notion he had to earn minutes over players like Forbes and Lyles?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever it is, it must be something personal. When guys like Ayers, Cunningham, Forbes, and a number of washed up vets get frequent playing time with Pop, Carroll isn't even allowed the dignity to dress out and compete in garbage time, it's pretty telling. And if it were simply some kind of injury, surely that would've been revealed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever it is, it must be something personal. When guys like Ayers, Cunningham, Forbes, and a number of washed up vets get frequent playing time with Pop, Carroll isn't even allowed the dignity to dress out and compete in garbage time, it's pretty telling. And if it were simply some kind of injury, surely that would've been revealed?

Spurs didnt pay this dude bertans money to dress in a suit. Def some went down between demarre and pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the most telling thing is that Pop prefers to play rookies over him. Pop never plays rookies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if it actually did involve Forbes. Carroll was the only guy who had the nerve to tell Pop the team would improve with less Forbes. Not Becky, not Timmy, but Demarre Carroll. And so Pop banished him to NBA purgatory for it. Dude would be a SpursTalk legend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is really curious why Carroll doesn't play. I'm sure they tried to move him, or were rumoured to have shopped him. I think he's been a real gentleman about it. If I were him I'd be thinking 'I'm making $2000 a minute sitting here, so things could be worse.' He's being paid about $85000 a game if his salary is $7 million for this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it was a loyalty deal in the context
    Nope. There's not a context in which that's a loyalty deal. A team promising a player a long-term deal if they opt out and them reneging on that after the player already opted out is essentially being a team version of Carlos Boozer or Marcus Morris. We all agree that they should not have even considered Pau opting out and re-signing as a viable way to get cap space. But the team not honoring their half of the deal after Pau did his half would have been WAAAAAAAY worse than anything they're "doing" to Carroll. Patty's deal that same year was arguably a loyalty contract. Maxing out Parker on his final extension despite him being in decline is an even better example of a loyalty contract. Pat Riley continuing to give Udonis Haslem contracts years after he stopped being an actual NBA player is a loyalty thing. Pau wasn't.

I think you remember the events like Pau opting out then holding the Spurs hostage on a contract. The reality seems to be that Pau and the Spurs agreed to $37-39 Million in compensation in exchange for him opting out of his final year at just over $16 Million. Had Paul signed, the team would have signed Gasol to a three-year deal starting at just over $12 Million with the understanding that he'd probably not really play that final year. Remember that this with the idea in mind that Aldridge would be traded without a guarantee of a viable big and with Gasol coming off what might have been his best season since his first three years in LA. It wasn't a horrible plan, and that's before even getting into that Leonard was very likely pressuring the front office to get a better second fiddle than Aldridge. The Spurs probably correctly saw their le window as just being two years rather than the rest of Leonard's career and were willing to sacrifice that third year to assemble as much talent as possible. Still should have just had Pau opted in, but I get it.

After that agreement, they were as locked in on the guaranteed money for Pau as they were on Morris after trading Bertans. Technically they could have backed out, but that wasn't the point to do it anymore. They should have just signed him for $19 Million per year and been done with it. It's not like Gasol would have minded. Despite what STers have said, the issue with Pau was never his APY. The team didn't need cap space. Pau didn't keep the Spurs from signing Dedmon or Simmons or anyone like that. It would have been paying Pau or not having him, and for the first two years, Gasol was very good for the team, and it's hindsight to think the team was better without him before he fell apart (though he did have exploitable flaws even when he was a strong net-positive). The real problem is that the Spurs have managed to carry dead cap space every year since 2016-2017. If they buy Carroll out, they'll be carrying it again for a sixth and seventh consecutive season (and a 10 consecutive season of paying dead money even if it's not on the cap sheet). It's a vicious cycle that will only end once the team stops giving partial guarantees to older players and take all of the money they pay guys on the relevant years.

That's one of a few reasons why they shouldn't be thinking about buying Carroll out now. I'm as critical of PATFO as any non-edgelord, but this cry of sympathy for him is ridiculous. He's getting paid to be on the roster, not to play however much he wants. He doesn't have a right to a buyout. If he wants one, he should make concessions for it, preferably huge ones. that dude. He's not Kunta Kinte. If he wants a different situation, I think PATFO would gladly tear up his deal and let him go. If he wants his money, then he should just sit his ass down and stop acting oppressed.
    Last edited by Chinook; 02-10-2020 at 07:58 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop was starting dante cunningham last year. i dont want to hear about how carroll isn't good enough to sniff the rotation. i mean at least throw him out there for more than a 45 second shift and see what he can give

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop was starting dante cunningham last year. i dont want to hear about how carroll isn't good enough to sniff the rotation. i mean at least throw him out there for more than a 45 second shift and see what he can give
    Carroll has been horrible when he's played. Definitely worse than Cun starting out. But yeah, it's more than a little weird that Pop signed him without having any faith in DMC as a player. It wouldn't surprise me if DeMarre is up there for fewest minutes played by a non-injured vet in the Pop era. Like controlling for the fact that he was traded in the middle of his first season, even Theo Ratliff played more minutes than Carroll has so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this cry of sympathy for him is ridiculous. ...If he wants his money, then he should just sit his ass down and stop acting oppressed.
    Isn't that what he's been doing?

I was sympathetic toward Jeff Ayers, didn't mean I thought he was en led to anything. Just felt bad for the guy. And for most fans, the sympathetic aspect isn't the point. We just want to see what Carroll's capable of now, considering his past skillset would've been something the Spurs really could've used this year. The team wasted the MLE on this guy and then refuses to play him. No garbage time, no nothing. Doesn't even dress out. Forbes starts, Bellineli gets lots of minutes -- , even the rookies are getting a little action -- but nothing at all, ever, for Demarre. Gives reason to believe this issue is something beyond him simply not being good enough. Further indication perhaps of the pattern of behavior we've been seeing in Pop (favoritism) getting worse all the time, to the detriment of the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Pop did the ask him if he thinks he is better then Forbes and say it in front of the team thing and he refused.

Thread Information