Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can anyone explain how the NBA lottery works? Generally speaking. I know some things have changed.
    I understand lottery balls are selected and the team with worse records have more lottery balls than others but does that mean ANYONE not making the playoffs can literally get the 1st pick if their ball gets chosen even if their odds are low?
    Yes. As shown in a post a couple above yours, two teams that won 33 games, a lot for a team in the lottery, got slots one and two last year. They've flattened the odds, and added one extra drawn team. Used to be that the lottery was only for spots 1-3, and the rest went in reverse order of records. Now, it's the first four slots, so you both have a bigger chance to score a higher pick, and more higher picks drawn for, four, versus three previously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Only teams that do not make the playoffs are eligible for Picks 1-14 (Lottery)
    That's what he said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like there are some interesting forwards at the top of this draft. Need to check some scouting reports. We need to get a long good defensive combo forward who can shoot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what he said.
    I read anyone and stopped reading. I assumed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No stiffs please. Get a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obi Toppin, Daniel Oturu, Precious Achiuwa, Tyrese Halliburton...

Oh pardon me, just spitting out some names of players I like in the upcoming draft that I think the Spurs could really use and now have a legitimate shot at nabbing
    One mock has us getting Toppin at 13th though I've seen other mocks have him going 4th. He's drawing Otto Porter comparisons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No stiffs please. Get a player.
    He'll be short, unathletic and have a giant forehead, and you're going to like it.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One mock has us getting Toppin at 13th though I've seen other mocks have him going 4th. He's drawing Otto Porter comparisons.
    He’s an exciting player and fun to watch but I doubt he’s anybody’s savior. That said, I’d love to see him come to town. Great combination of size and athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade LMA to Cleveland for Love and their 1st Rd Pick. Think the cavs would do that.

DDR isn’t doing a sign and trade so we’re losing him and getting nothing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. As shown in a post a couple above yours, two teams that won 33 games, a lot for a team in the lottery, got slots one and two last year. They've flattened the odds, and added one extra drawn team. Used to be that the lottery was only for spots 1-3, and the rest went in reverse order of records. Now, it's the first four slots, so you both have a bigger chance to score a higher pick, and more higher picks drawn for, four, versus three previously.
    Thanks

I’d lol if we get 1st pick somehow. Imagine how annoyed the rest of the nba would be. Finally we miss playoffs and we get another 1st pick.

the only thing missing is a generational talent like Drob or Timmy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade LMA to Cleveland for Love and their 1st Rd Pick. Think the cavs would do that.

That's the trade I proposed before the deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks

I’d lol if we get 1st pick somehow. Imagine how annoyed the rest of the nba would be. Finally we miss playoffs and we get another 1st pick.

the only thing missing is a generational talent like Drob or Timmy
    Whoever we pick will be in Austin, unless we replace the Old Asshole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These comments are obtuse and not helpful. Lonnie would've played but he got injuries, Murray, Luka, metu are raw, and Keldon would play if we weren't stacked with guards on the main team. Kawhi didn't spend a year there. By all means, go ahead and root for the Spurs to be a Phoenix or magic type teams that struggle to convert talent to wins despite far better draft position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the trade I proposed before the deadline.
    It’s a solid trade for both teams. They get rid of his contract but don’t get a scrub return (which is what most teams I’m sure have been offering). Can now pair LMA and Drummond with their young core and they have $30m in expiring contracts to round out their roster.

we now have 2 lottery picks and an injury prone Love but he can be a complementary player to the young core.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No re-building team, slated to pick high in the lottery, is trading their pick for DeRozan and there's no reason to think he wouldn't do a sign and trade, considering the the only teams with substantial cap space are those types or glamor markets who will prioritize '21 cap space. He'd be as much a beneficiary as the Spurs going that route.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no world where Cleveland lets go of that pick. Even to unload Love. As much as they want to move Love they’re not coughing up a potential top 4 pick to do it. There’s no rational argument for them to do that deal. The potential of a top pick is far greater than contract relief. No star or semi-star is going to sign there. They can live with that contract another year if need be. The pick is far more valuable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will have a better idea of draft potential after March madness. It will be fun to watch the tournament with an eye towards the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why would Cleveland make that trade? They'd be giving up a top 3 pick.

Two possible trades could be;

Aldridge to Miami for Olynik and their 1st round pick (They could agree to the deal before they make the pick and then wait till July 1st to complete the deal) or

Aldridge to Portland for Ariza, Hood, Collins and a 2021 lottery protected 1st round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hield in a draft day move. Would be a good fit with DD and LMA, and young going foward with White/Murray/Walker. Kings are probably a team that would sign Forbes as well.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like there are some interesting forwards at the top of this draft. Need to check some scouting reports. We need to get a long good defensive combo forward who can shoot

The Spurs had such bad picks for so long, I got in the habit of always looking for draft sleepers/bargains. Jordan Nwora - Louisville. I think he may be the best all-around forward that shoots the 3 well. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in right around the Spurs' pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs had such bad picks for so long, I got in the habit of always looking for draft sleepers/bargains. Jordan Nwora - Louisville. I think he may be the best all-around forward that shoots the 3 well. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in right around the Spurs' pick.
    I've seen several Cardinals' games this season, and Nwora doesn't jump out at me like, say, Chuma Okeke or DeAndre Hunter last season. Maybe you are right about Nwora, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hield in a draft day move. Would be a good fit with DD and LMA, and young going foward with White/Murray/Walker. Kings are probably a team that would sign Forbes as well.

So, Hield to the Spurs is only half a move. What are you proposing to send to Sactown for him?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen several Cardinals' games this season, and Nwora doesn't jump out at me like, say, Chuma Okeke or DeAndre Hunter last season. Maybe you are right about Nwora, though.

Start with 3P shooting and work backwards. The boy can flat stroke the long ball. I think he's at least good enough elsewhere. And he has legitimate SF height/length. He's not flashy, but he's solid. Consistent.

Two weeks before the NCAA last year, there were still a lot of people questioning whether Okeke would go in the first round, and most were talking about Hunter going around 10. Nwora was the second Most Improved Player in the nation last year (MIP in the ACC), and he's better this year. And his biggest improvement is from the 3P line.
    If he finishes the season strong, he could go higher than the Spurs pick. A 6'7" SF who shoots .440 from 3P is the kind of player every team is looking for in the New NBA.

I'm not afraid to stick my neck out before everyone else reads the headlines. I think he'll go somewhere around the Spurs pick, but not much lower. Unless he has a breakout Tournament, and then we'll be crying in our margaritas.

Thread Information