Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop may not feel that Walker is ready to start yet. Beli likely will be brought out, the deadline hasn't happened yet. Normally, year 3 is when a Spurs 1st rounder becomes fully integrated in the rotation. I find it hard to believe that they'd re-sign Forbes to a multi-year deal when he's blocking Walker. Even for PATFO that doesn't make sense.

Walker will likely start next season and KJ will likely take Walker's former role.
    But Bryn is ready to start?? White can start instead of him too. Mills could too. Plenty of options. We can’t just bail Pop out and not read the Forrest for the trees IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're really trying to talk hoops, so I'm really going to try to say this without sounding like a smartass:

Personally, I think people read too many internet "scouting reports". Those guys love to say things like that, without considering what it really means. Is Nwora going to be capable of going right at the heart of a defense when their priority is specifically to stop him? No. Anybody who can do that isn't going to get drafted with the 13th pick. , there aren't many NBA players who can do that, and all of them will be playing this weekend while the other 400+ NBA players watch on TV. He's not going to walk in and be the first option in the NBA like Zion. I think he'll be fine as part of an NBA team.

Look at some of those "off" games you listed, and he had lines with like 14 points and 9 boards. Duke has only lost 3 games so far, and one of them was Louisville. They made a point of stopping Nwora, but it probably cost them the game. The only real surprise for me was that last game against GA Tech. Their next game is against Clemson on the road. If he doesn't have a strong bounce-back game, maybe I'll start having some doubts. But I don't expect that to happen.
    As much of a piece of got that he is, Leonard was the 16th pick so I don't think we should get in the habit of branding the ceiling of a player in the 13th pick. You can say that you're referring to how a player is currently doing but teams also draft based on where they see a player down the road, not necessarily instant gratification.
    Last edited by SpurPadre; 02-13-2020 at 08:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I think it was Morey who said it (ironic because he doesn’t draft lol) but there are always a couple really good players in every draft. With weak drafts often times it’s just harder to identify.

That might work to SA advantage this draft. With their being no consensus if they laser in they very well may have someone fall that they like but got lost in the “they are all meh or equal” shuffle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One mock has us getting Toppin at 13th though I've seen other mocks have him going 4th. He's drawing Otto Porter comparisons.

I actually went to Dayton for undergrad so I follow the team closely. Toppin is an elite athlete, far more athletic than Porter. He’s also a little bigger than Porter, but similar body types. I would say right now Porter is a better defender and a better feel for the game but stopping could grow into that role as a stretch 4. He can shoot it better than you think, and he’s actually a better than average passer. His defense, while not terrible, needs improvement and he’s not as strong on the glass as you would like

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much of a piece of got that he is, Leonard was the 16th pick so I don't think we should get in the habit of branding the ceiling of a player in the 13th pick. You can say that you're referring to how a player is currently doing but teams also draft based on where they see a player down the road, not necessarily instant gratification.

You might want to read the whole discussion before jumping in on some detour line of thought. The question was whether Jordan Nwora will be able to shoot against NBA defenses - based on the fact that he's had some meh games against the better college teams. Got it so far?

Those college teams he was talking about made it a priority to shut him down and force the rest of the team to beat them. That same thing happens in the NBA, and not many players can break down a defense when that happens. Zion is doing a pretty damn good job of it, but EVERYONE knew who he was ahead of the draft. My only point was that Nwora isn't one of those players, and that's why he will be available when the Spurs pick. You may not remember what Kawhi was like his rookie year, but I do. He was good, but he wasn't a guy who could get his shot no matter what the defense did - and that's what the other guy was asking about Nwora. When you pick that late, you have to look for a diamond on the rough, because the obvious picks are already off the board.

So back to the discussion already in progress: No, Nwora isn't going to be like Zion. But he checks pretty much all the boxes for what the Spurs need, and he should be on the board when they get their pick. The Spurs aren't going to get an OBVIOUS game-changer at 13. They're just not. Kawhi wasn't obvious at the time he was drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might want to read the whole discussion before jumping in on some detour line of thought. The question was whether Jordan Nwora will be able to shoot against NBA defenses - based on the fact that he's had some meh games against the better college teams. Got it so far?

Those college teams he was talking about made it a priority to shut him down and force the rest of the team to beat them. That same thing happens in the NBA, and not many players can break down a defense when that happens. Zion is doing a pretty damn good job of it, but EVERYONE knew who he was ahead of the draft. My only point was that Nwora isn't one of those players, and that's why he will be available when the Spurs pick. You may not remember what Kawhi was like his rookie year, but I do. He was good, but he wasn't a guy who could get his shot no matter what the defense did - and that's what the other guy was asking about Nwora. When you pick that late, you have to look for a diamond on the rough, because the obvious picks are already off the board.

So back to the discussion already in progress: No, Nwora isn't going to be like Zion. But he checks pretty much all the boxes for what the Spurs need, and he should be on the board when they get their pick. The Spurs aren't going to get an OBVIOUS game-changer at 13. They're just not. Kawhi wasn't obvious at the time he was drafted.
    I know what you're saying now. I'm just saying, how you claim that Nwora is not going to be like Zion, ok fine. I'm just saying it's way too early to pass judgment on who will be the better player but again, I know that's not really your point. I still think it needs to be said. No one thought Leonard would be as good as Kyrie Irving who was the #1 pick in 2011. But again, I get your point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What in the bloody are you talking about?

I know you're not talking about Tim, Manu, or Tony.
    Beno played 80 games as a rookie, and that's as "fully integrated" as he ever got.
    Ian Mahinmi was hurt a lot, and never got fully integrated.
    George Hill started his most games (here) in his second year. By necessity, but he was pretty much part of things from Year 1.
    DeJuan Blair started his most games (here) in his second year.
    Cory Joeph was just about as "fully integrated" in his second year as he ever got here.
    And that brings us up all the way to Derrick White.
    So that pretty much leaves Tiago as the only player to match your claim, and that was also mostly about injuries.

I'm not going to debate you. Anyone who wants to can have a look for themselves. Click and see which first round picks did what. Unless you try to play some dumb semantic tricks with "fully integrated", it's just not true. https://www.basketball-reference.com...SAS/draft.html
    I meant by year 3, not year 3. It depends largely on position though. Kawhi was a rotation player and later a starter as a rookie because the Spurs were so thin on the wing.

CoJo never really got integrated because of Parker and then Mills leapfrogged him. Slow-mo was a rotation player after his rookie season because they didn't have a backup 3.

With Forbes and Marco free agents, PATFO may decide to let both walk and start Walker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get the Israeli kid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cant wait to get a top pick -

and then....

watch him play in Austin for 3 years!
    like that time we traded for Pacers #15 draft pick ?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    like that time we traded for Pacers #15 draft pick ?
    actually - no - that one was worse!

it ended up ending the spurs le era when the ungrateful piece of traitor betrayed the spurs franchise and malingered his way out of town after stealing 18 million dollars!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knowing the Spurs, we all should be excited with a top 15 pick. Draft seems crap but would not be the first time PATFO find a diamond in a pile of tbh..
    Last edited by Brazil; 02-14-2020 at 02:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    actually - no - that one was worse!

it ended up ending the spurs le era when the ungrateful piece of traitor betrayed the spurs franchise and malingered his way out of town after stealing 18 million dollars!
    he is a pos for sure but still he helped us got a ring dat was worth it bro especially for a #15 pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I think it was Morey who said it (ironic because he doesn’t draft lol) but there are always a couple really good players in every draft. With weak drafts often times it’s just harder to identify.

That might work to SA advantage this draft. With their being no consensus if they laser in they very well may have someone fall that they like but got lost in the “they are all meh or equal” shuffle.
    Yeah, I don't get people acting like there will be absolutely no talent in this upcoming traft.

Sure, they may not be any sure-fire hits like a Duncan, Lebron, or (maybe) Zion...but there's bound to be some good players available in the top 15.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he is a pos for sure but still he helped us got a ring dat was worth it bro especially for a #15 pick
    nah -

manu,timmy, tony led the way - and even though they were generous enough to give the traitor his lane -

he was not a dominant force that year and he was gently carried by the hall of famers and pop -

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah -

manu,timmy, tony led the way - and even though they were generous enough to give the traitor his lane -

he was not a dominant force that year and he was gently carried by the hall of famers and pop -
    u smocking' mate.. he contributed fully to that le for as much as I hate this clown.. he was no random role player..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    u smocking' mate.. he contributed fully to that le for as much as I hate this clown.. he was no random role player..
    He also contributed to the collective chokejob to end all chokejobs in Game 6 that POS. I prefer to remember that got that way and that we would've won our last le without his ass...of course, that is denial. I just hate him that much.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah- maybe you are right-

but I REFUSE to give the traitor credit!

lol

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs end up with another guard who cannot shot 3s, will be send to g league for 2 yrs and be back with no progression.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also contributed to the collective chokejob to end all chokejobs in Game 6 that POS. I prefer to remember that got that way and that we would've won our last le without his ass...of course, that is denial. I just hate him that much.
    yeah- maybe you are right-

but I REFUSE to give the traitor credit!

lol
    that’s my boys

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw the latest rookie rankings, not impressed ..Get those rankings with Popovich as your head coach and that would be impressive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know what you're saying now. I'm just saying, how you claim that Nwora is not going to be like Zion, ok fine. I'm just saying it's way too early to pass judgment on who will be the better player but again, I know that's not really your point. I still think it needs to be said. No one thought Leonard would be as good as Kyrie Irving who was the #1 pick in 2011. But again, I get your point.
    Right after I started posting about Nwora, Louisville (and Nwora) had two bad games in a row. There were all sorts of dire predictions about the team, and a couple of internet pundits said that Nwora's draft stock had fallen out of the first round. I'm sort of surprised nobody busted my balls over it. Last night Louisville curb-stomped Syracuse and Nwora led the team with 17 points, plus 7 boards and 3 assists.

Look, Nwora is a different type of player than Kawhi was. I think he will be a solid pick around the slot where the Spurs should be picking. Maybe a bargain. But I don't see anything other than his 3P shooting that leaps out at you. He's a solid defender. He's good enough off the dribble. He rebounds well enough to justify playing the 3. And he's a heads-up player who has shown steady year-on-year improvement. And he can stroke the 3-ball. When you're picking around the middle, give or take, that's about all you can hope for.

What's funny is that there are a bunch of people arguing that you can't build through the draft, because you can't count on getting anyone great even at the top. I'm talking about a guy with (I think) a fairly high floor and reasonable upside, and people are arguing about that, too. I wish the Spurs had just tanked and gotten a pick at #7 or better. But they didn't, and the supertankers in the East alone are going to keep them from drafting that high. I still think Nwora should be high on the Spurs list this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Tyler Bey if we make a second pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we are already at 13th. Might as well try and get in the top 8 if we can. Play some of the young guys. Sad to say but this year has been such a disaster so far. Would love to see what the front office can do with a 7th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Tyler Bey if we make a second pick
    Agreed. He’s exactly what we are missing at SF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. He’s exactly what we are missing at SF
    Except that he doesn't shoot 3's hardly ever. I guess he shoots more than DDR, but with the way the game has to be played now I just don't see how the Spurs can invest in someone that isn't a prolific 3P shooter.

Thread Information