Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an Occam's Razor thing.

I think Bloomberg funded Toomey in 2016 because he wanted Toomey to win PA. He deserves to be criticized for that and directly asked to comment on it as a Democrat hopeful.

I don't think Bloomberg funded Toomey as a longterm Trump-supporting maneuver culminating in a run as a 2020 Democratic saboteur funding $1 billion in anti-Trump ads and down-ballot Democrat candidates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're arguing driving turnout for Toomey wasn't going to drive it for Trump too?
    Not at all. I'm asking, if donating to Toomey was really about getting Trump elected, why didn't he donate to Trump?

4-D chess?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    So you're arguing driving turnout for Toomey wasn't going to drive it for Trump too?
    he only liked Toomey because of gun control

Its remarkable how Bloomberg becomes really passionate about “gun control” when he wants to endorse a Republican candidate who’s pro gun control and pro rich people paying less taxes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another 4-D chess maneuver to hide his actual support for Trump:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/u...inton-dnc.html

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Not at all. I'm asking, if donating to Toomey was really about getting Trump elected, why didn't he donate to Trump?

4-D chess?
    I don’t want to speak for BB, but I’m not saying his donations to Toomey were a covert effort to help Trump since I don’t think it’s what they were. I’m simply saying that regardless of whether or not helping Trump was he intent he clearly isn’t as bothered by a Trump presidency as he claims to be if he’s directing campaign funding in a way that is highly likely to help Trump win PA.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he only liked Toomey because of gun control

Its remarkable how Bloomberg becomes really passionate about “gun control” when he wants to endorse a Republican candidate who’s pro gun control and pro rich people paying less taxes
    no

What a joke this head might end up the DNC nominee and is probably the DNC's preferred nominee at this point

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that what you think is going to happen? I guess I'd understand the concern more if you really think he's going to run 3rd party but I don't see that happening. He'll drop out eventually (unless he wins, which I still think is a possibility), endorse the more conservative Dem candidate, and I expect he'll eventually endorse whoever gets the Democrat nomination. We'll see though.
    Why wouldn't you see it happening? He'd much rather have a Trump presidency where he isn't taxed on wealth vs a Sanders or Warren one where he is.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    no

What a joke this head might end up the DNC nominee and is probably the DNC's preferred nominee at this point
    I think Buttplug is their preference at this point but the DNC is quickly realizing Biden isn’t the Knight in shining armor they thought he’d be so Bloomberg is the backup plan, with the added bonus he takes votes away from Biden and gets him out of the race.

The thing that made Obama a great candidate for the DNC to get behind in 2008 was that he was relatively young and didn’t have much in terms of track record, thus he could run as a progressive without anything in terms of actual policy to contradict it. I think they’re trying to duplicate that only this time with a got instead of a n!gger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t want to speak for BB, but I’m not saying his donations to Toomey were a covert effort to help Trump since I don’t think it’s what they were. I’m simply saying that regardless of whether or not helping Trump was he intent he clearly isn’t as bothered by a Trump presidency as he claims to be if he’s directing campaign funding in a way that is highly likely to help Trump win PA.
    His orgs also endorsed and donated to a bunch of Democrat candidates that year. Toomey seems to be an outlier, not the exception that proves the rule. It's confirmation bias to point to that one endorsement and ignore the many other Dem endorsements (which included Hillary Clinton ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Buttplug is their preference at this point but the DNC is quickly realizing Biden isn’t the Knight in shining armor they thought he’d be so Bloomberg is the backup plan, with the added bonus he takes votes away from Biden and gets him out of the race.

The thing that made Obama a great candidate for the DNC to get behind in 2008 was that he was relatively young and didn’t have much in terms of track record, thus he could run as a progressive without anything in terms of actual policy to contradict it. I think they’re trying to duplicate that only this time with a got instead of a n!gger.
    I don't think Pete really has that big a chance since black voters aren't going to sympathize at all with someone who is gay when not in jail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why wouldn't you see it happening? He'd much rather have a Trump presidency where he isn't taxed on wealth vs a Sanders or Warren one where he is.
    2016:
    When he decided late last winter not to run for the White House, Mr. Bloomberg explained that he could not take the risk of running an independent campaign that might inadvertently ease Mr. Trump’s path to power.

This was before Clinton had won the nomination over Sanders.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So BOTH Republicans running for prez - Trump/Bloomberg

are racists

of course.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    His orgs also endorsed and donated to a bunch of Democrat candidates that year. Toomey seems to be an outlier, not the exception that proves the rule. It's confirmation bias to point to that one endorsement and ignore the many other Dem endorsements (which included Hillary Clinton ).
    Again I’m not saying he wanted Trump to beat Hillary. All I’m saying is that defeating Trump wasn’t the extra special top priority he claims it was (otherwise he would have become left wing Charles Koch in 2016 who stopped at nothing to beat Trump) and that he’s one of many rich oligarchs who contributes to both Republicans and moderate Democrats in order to have an outsized impact on the political landscape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bloomberg Editorial on why he did not run as a 3rd Party candidate in 2016:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...erg-won-t-take

He even says he can't accept risking a Ted Cruz presidency, this being before Trump won the GOP nomination.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I don't think Pete really has that big a chance since black voters aren't going to sympathize at all with someone who is gay when not in jail.
    I don’t either but that doesn’t mean he’s not who the DNC wants. The DNC is incompetent in infinite ways and is clueless on the type of candidate it should be pedaling if it wants a moderate Democrat to come out on top. The fact that the DNCs top three choices at this stage are Biden Buttplug and Bloomberg demonstrate that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DNC will go with ABB

AnybodyButBernie (including Trump)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I’m saying is that defeating Trump wasn’t the extra special top priority he claims it was (otherwise he would have become left wing Charles Koch in 2016 who stopped at nothing to beat Trump) and that he’s one of many rich oligarchs who contributes to both Republicans and moderate Democrats in order to have an outsized impact on the political landscape.
    Well, it's 4 years later now. I can't really assume he feels the same about Trump's chances of winning as he did in 2016. Lots of Democrat voters who didn't show up in 2016 probably feel differently as well. I'll criticize him for helping Toomey in 2016 but as far as his at ude about the 2020 election, I'll look at his 2020 donations and efforts for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2016:

This was before Clinton had won the nomination over Sanders.
    Before the talk of a wealth tax and when Clinton looked like an enormous favorite over Sanders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DNC will go with ABB

AnybodyButBernie (including Trump)
    Even though Warren seems to want a similar platform to Bernie, they're definitely ok with her because they can control her just like did to the scary black man in 2008. The fact Warren went with that slander on Bernie straight from the Hillary Clinton playbook shows as much. Sad, because she used to be 1B vs Bernie's 1A in my top choice for 2020. But she can't be trusted now.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Well, it's 4 years later now. I can't really assume he feels the same about Trump's chances of winning as he did in 2016. Lots of Democrat voters who didn't show up in 2016 probably feel differently as well. I'll criticize him for helping Toomey in 2016 but as far as his at ude about the 2020 election, I'll look at his 2020 donations and efforts for that.
    So how many donations has he made to help the Democrat in key senate races so far? Seems like a very easy way for an ultra-rich, ostensibly born-again Democrat to help out his party in 2020.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before the talk of a wealth tax and when Clinton looked like an enormous favorite over Sanders.
    Sure.

And I get that he opposes the wealth tax, but I haven't seen anything suggesting he opposes it to an "I'm going to run as a Democrat candidate to set myself up as a third party saboteur" extreme.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/bl...hould-pay-more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So how many donations has he made to help the Democrat in key senate races so far? Seems like a very easy way for an ultra-rich, ostensibly born-again Democrat to help out his party in 2020.
    It's February. Most big donations and endorsements don't happen before the primary. It didn't happen that way for Toomey either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Dems

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure.

And I get that he opposes the wealth tax, but I haven't seen anything suggesting he opposes it to an "I'm going to run as a Democrat candidate to set myself up as a third party saboteur" extreme.

Why wouldn't he run as a spoiler to stop the wealth tax that got him to run in the first place? Are we supposed to take the word of these s bags instead of looking at their actions?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure.

Also LOL at Bloomberg saying he should pay more in taxes. Just like Trump said about his own taxes in 2016.

Thread Information