Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure every big company is preparing for the next big crash which will most likely happen this year

the stock market is in one of its biggest bubbles yet and is being artificially inflated

LMAO just look at the Tesla stock

its the biggest farce in stock history tbqh

and boeing? its kaput

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure every big company is preparing for the next big crash which will most likely happen this year

the stock market is in one of its biggest bubbles yet and is being artificially inflated

LMAO just look at the Tesla stock

its the biggest farce in stock history tbqh

and boeing? its kaput
    Agree. Tesla stock totally defies logic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd almost think it's good to strive to be a CEO instead of an entry level employee for 27 years.
    Yeah those 2800 people should have just been CEO instead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not quite a layoff but in the arena

"St. Clare's Hospital was everything to Jerry and Kathy Adach.

They married after meeting at the Schenectady, New York area hospital, where both worked, in the early '80s. Their two daughters were born there. The couple, who devoted a combined 59 years of service to the facility, had expected to retire with a good pension from the hospital.

That is, until last year, when their former employer — which went out of business back in 2008 — delivered a gut punch: Its pension plan was in financial distress and wouldn't pay a dime of their expected benefits.

For Jerry and Kathy, both 58, that means losing around $27,000 a year in planned retirement income — around a third of their combined income from the hospital.

"Last year, out of nowhere, they just said, 'We're done,'" said Jerry Adach, who works in information technology. "We wanted to retire at 62. We can't now."

"I banked on that pension," he said. "We can't make that up."

Federal retirement law typically puts a backstop in place to prevent this sort of doomsday financial scenario for retirees and near-retirees.

However, St. Clare's was affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. Its pension, and those of other nonprofits throughout the U.S. with ties to religious en ies, are beholden to different rules that could ultimately leave people empty-handed or with reduced benefits.

"We have seen estimates that it affects about 1 million people," said Dara Smith, a senior attorney for the AARP Foundation representing many of the former St. Clare's workers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/13/dist...l-workers.html

Thanks, Roman Catholic Church!

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next recession will probably not be as bad as 2009.

Gonna be a slow, rolling stop, and even more people will be without health insurance, unless something like Medicare for all passes.
    Recession was high school for me so that was kind of the norm I grew up on and everything else just feels too expensive tbh.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Agree. Tesla stock totally defies logic.
    It’s a short squeeze that’s gotten way too out of control.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks, Roman Catholic Church!
    ... a business like any other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Recession was high school for me so that was kind of the norm I grew up on and everything else just feels too expensive tbh.
    Three issues will dominate the world's economy in your lifetimes.

Africa's economic ascendance.
    End of cheap oil.
    A.I.

We may get out into space in a big way, finally, in your lifetime about the time you guys are about 40. (assuming you are about 20 now)

A bit on the end of easy oil.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8...-of-a-meltdown

There will be plenty of oil left, but what is in the ground will get increasingly expensive to get out, making oil over time less and less economical as an energy source. We will still need it for the chemical industry, but that shift will mean a lot of changes that the older folks here will not be ready for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as for the US economy, expect the continued implosion of retail. If you want some interesting economic opportunity, look to something that repurposes all the squarefootage (think malls) for affordable housing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The early collapses are making for some interesting URBEX opportunities.

There may be time to save the newer zombie properties with the right level of community involvement, and TAXES to develop it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The early collapses are making for some interesting URBEX opportunities.

There may be time to save the newer zombie properties with the right level of community involvement, and TAXES to develop it.
    Lol Waldenbooks. How old is that picture

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... never gonna pass, EVER. The Repugs and the Dem e$tabli$hment are paid to block it.

A huge majority of people want it, but in USA, the oligarchy's "vote" counts, not the ignored people's vote.
    Dunno. I remain an optimist.

the pessimist in me thinks you are right about that. We'll see.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember going there with my grandmother on Saturdays as a kid to the one in Westlakes Mall

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dunno. Pulled up as part of a group of images in a "dead mall picture" search at Duck Duck Go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember going there with my grandmother on Saturdays as a kid to the one in Westlakes Mall

https://qz.com/1032723/theres-much-m...-capita-level/

Put this into any search engine:

square feet of retail space per capita US

And see what pops up. It has all the earmarks of a bubble. Think about all the empty strip malls near you. They built and built and built, then e-commerce came along. Increasing supply at a time of falling demand, perfect storm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to bother with hotlinks, here are a few Urbex (urban exploration) videos of abandoned malls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmNyVFibClQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67s2r6fVKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Ks9jl2lhY

Found searching youtube using this:

urbex malls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't really need to search. I know the rough timeframe. I wonder if it was next to an Orange Julius

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think retail won't completely implode. I think it will be restructured.

Funny the one store that doesn't really seem to fit into a mall setting but is always by far the busiest is the Apple Store

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to bother with hotlinks, here are a few Urbex (urban exploration) videos of abandoned malls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmNyVFibClQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67s2r6fVKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Ks9jl2lhY

Found searching youtube using this:

urbex malls

Is Urbex the name for abandoned building exploration? Sounds too much like the rubber manufacturer, tbh. But I ing LOVE this stuff and those videos. Started watching those a few years back, really neat (yes, I understand the gravity of all the urban decay) seeing things like Mike Tyson's mansion to the malls to abandoned theme parks and hotels. About as close to frozen time as we can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Urbex the name for abandoned building exploration? Sounds too much like the rubber manufacturer, tbh. But I ing LOVE this stuff and those videos. Started watching those a few years back, really neat (yes, I understand the gravity of all the urban decay) seeing things like Mike Tyson's mansion to the malls to abandoned theme parks and hotels. About as close to frozen time as we can get.
    Me too. My wife puts up with me watching on our smart TV. Some of the places these people have been are awesome. Makes me wish I was a bit younger.

Proper People is the channel I have watched the most of. There are photographers out there that specialize in it as well.

sounds like a good "club" post.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me too. My wife puts up with me watching on our smart TV. Some of the places these people have been are awesome. Makes me wish I was a bit younger.

Proper People is the channel I have watched the most of. There are photographers out there that specialize in it as well.

sounds like a good "club" post.

I watch a few different explorers. I also like this one kid that does mini docs on some of the places that are abandoned landmarks and more famous places he's explored. Pretty cool stuff. The nostalgia strings get tugged on as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Los Angeles Times is offering buyouts to staffers with at least two years of employment

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/media...uts/index.html

New York (CNN Business)The Los Angeles Times is offering its staff voluntary buyouts less than two years after biotech billionaire Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong swooped in to buy the beleaguered newspaper in hopes of turning it around.

"The buyout offer is intended to give us a little more flexibility to create and hire new roles, and to give some staffers who are looking to make a change an opportunity to leave on their own terms,"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HSBC announced job cuts of 35,000 this morning

https://www.fastcompany.com/90465194...-wrong-at-hsbc

It’s the biggest bank in Europe by assets. The Wall Street Journal reports that the bank is abandoning some of its Western staff and operations, for a few reasons:

- Plummeting profits. Net profits for 2019 were down 53% from last year. “Parts of our business are not delivering acceptable returns,” said interim CEO Noel Quinn.

- Unstable markets. HSBC is deeply enmeshed in Hong Kong and China, which are rocked by protests in Hong Kong and trade tensions between the U.S. and China, as well as the Covid-19 outbreak.

- Brexit. While HSBC will maintain a global hub in London, the bank considers U.K. markets unstable and wants out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good twitter thread on workers left behind by the US economy:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lime is laying off about 100 people and ceasing operations in 12 markets (incl. SA)

https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/09/li...in-12-markets/

Lime is shutting down in Atlanta, Phoenix, San Diego, San Antonio, Linz, Bogotá, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Lima, Puerto Vallarta, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

Between 2018 and 2019, compe or Bird pulled out of 38 markets and entered 36 new ones.

And while layoffs are not fun, Lime is not alone. Last year, both Bird and Lyft laid off employees working on micromobility. In March, Bird laid off up to 5% of its workforce and then cut up to a dozen Scoot employees in December. Lyft, similarly, also laid off up to 50 people on its bikes and scooters team in March.

Thread Information