Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq had a relationship with Kobe's kids and vice versa. I would say that qualifies as some sort of friendship
    Sure, they were acquainted. Shaq made 1000x more of it after Kobe's death than either did before the death. Shaq's tears seemed to be mostly guilt from not getting closer, and he said as much. They supposedly buried the hatchet, but neither of them really has the ability to forgive, especially Kobe. He'd still brag about having more than Shaq, and that's something Tim would never do to David or anyone else he played with, not seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't argue with this. I'll admit that Kobe wasn't the best teammate, I was just trying to illustrate that it doesn't necessarily translate to him being a "rotten person" like Chucho stated. My point that I was trying to make (probably could've stated it better) was that all the criticism was for on the court antics, and that his track record off the court is nothing compared to some of these other a$$holes. My opinion on Kobe is overall neutral. I'm not going to sit here and be a bootlicker just because he died, but I also find it laughable how some Spur fans act like this guy is up there with Satan and Jason "nut punching" Terry (never forget ) in terms of how bad he is as a person
    I think the guy was a genius for someone who didn't go to college. I found him wicked smaaaaht and driven, and his selfishness probably kept him from having a crew that bilked him for everything. I think he was brand compe ive, not NBA compe ive. Sure, the two are related and he was a force, but he had to be in order to build a brand. He was willing to sacrifice team success for brand success, and he illustrated that time and again. I think that was wise.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, they were acquainted. Shaq made 1000x more of it after Kobe's death than either did before the death. Shaq's tears seemed to be mostly guilt from not getting closer, and he said as much. They supposedly buried the hatchet, but neither of them really has the ability to forgive, especially Kobe. He'd still brag about having more than Shaq, and that's something Tim would never do to David or anyone else he played with, not seriously.
    They "made up" for marketing purposes. Shaq lies about a lot of that sh** like the media didn't know that they were really tight. No, they hated each other, and Kobe drove Shaq out of town by giving the team a me or him ultimatum. Given that Shaq was older and overweight and Kobe was prime and marketable, it wasn't a hard decision. As it is, someone got to them and told them that being petty was bad for business, so they publicly made up in Shaq's second year with the Heat. And then they weren't anything. Shaq went to Kobe's last game, again for marketing purposes. Then he never saw him again.

Maybe the animosity dissipated with time; but they were not good buddies really ever. Closest I can think is Shaq praising Kobe for a couple big games in the playoffs where he himself had been contained and someone had to step up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They "made up" for marketing purposes. Shaq lies about a lot of that sh** like the media didn't know that they were really tight. No, they hated each other, and Kobe drove Shaq out of town by giving the team a me or him ultimatum. Given that Shaq was older and overweight and Kobe was prime and marketable, it wasn't a hard decision. As it is, someone got to them and told them that being petty was bad for business, so they publicly made up in Shaq's second year with the Heat. And then they weren't anything. Shaq went to Kobe's last game, again for marketing purposes. Then he never saw him again.

Maybe the animosity dissipated with time; but they were not good buddies really ever. Closest I can think is Shaq praising Kobe for a couple big games in the playoffs where he himself had been contained and someone had to step up.
    Yeah they weren’t friends. One of the worst things of all of this is Shaq trying to retcon their relationship in front of millions of people with no one to push back because of the tragedy. He’s always been a bully and bullied this lie on the set of TNT with his “I don’t ever want to hear anyone ever question or relationship again” in an aggressive tone. He said that not from truth, but from extreme guilt.

Kobe and Shaq were cordial. That’s it. They’re kids liked each of them. Of course they did. The feud was between them, not the kids.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq makes himself almost impossible to like.

Thread Information