Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if in some world Pop was just a coach and had no input on management I believe that he could take the very same 76ers roster to the NBA Finals next year. It's more the fair to criticize the guy as the president of basketball operations but to say he can't coach is ridiculous. That Clippers team with Pop instead of Doc would be a 60 win team even with load management. I would like him to have less say in signings and trades but to act like he can't coach anymore is ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re trying way too hard man. Pop is done and needs to retire. It is what it is.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re trying way too hard man. Pop is done and needs to retire. It is what it is.
    Not really BUT that's your opinion. I just want you to realize that once they get rid of Pop and Aldridge not really DeRozan because his teams somehow get better without him. This team if Pop and Aldridge don't return is a 10-15 win team at best. Let's see how many of you stick around to watch that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky would have this team 5 seed now not 10th

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would suck.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky would have this team 5 seed now not 10th
    you're the definition of a cuck.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop would immediately put simmons on the bench until he improved his 3pt shooting

and would never play the guys that are balling for the sixers on the wings rt now (cant remember that sf that torched the clippers this past week

Embiid would be benched if he jacked up threes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop would immediately put simmons on the bench until he improved his 3pt shooting

and would never play the guys that are balling for the sixers on the wings rt now (cant remember that sf that torched the clippers this past week

Embiid would be benched if he jacked up threes
    didn't pop play the poor man's simmons, kyle anderson a bunch? he'd on embid and play fultz a bunch as his forbes

Anyway pop was done in 2015. Hes just employed to sell tickets since. I guess he did get the team to the playoffs last year, which based on this year, was a lift.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is the rare coach who's historically been helped by also being the lead executive. The Spurs used to be really good at finding guys who had the potential to be role-players for them and then working with them to get valuable depth. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Pop as a scheme architect and culture-setter has been beyond Pop the game-manager for a long time now. Reducing him to just a coach would expose his weaknesses. Honestly, the most troubling thing about the Spurs right now is that Pop and RC/Wright don't seem to be on the same page anymore. This year, Pop looks like he's coaching a team he didn't put together (and because of the USANT didn't have time to create a scheme for). A 2020-2021 run with the Sixers would probably look pretty similar, considering that it's an Olympic year and Pop's mind is definitely going to be more on that than on trying to figure out how to make Embiid, Horford, Harris and Simmons work together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mods ban this sniffer from making more threads tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if in some world Pop was just a coach and had no input on management I believe that he could take the very same 76ers roster to the NBA Finals next year. It's more the fair to criticize the guy as the president of basketball operations but to say he can't coach is ridiculous. That Clippers team with Pop instead of Doc would be a 60 win team even with load management. I would like him to have less say in signings and trades but to act like he can't coach anymore is ridiculous.
    He can’t coach anymore. Something is not right with his head.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he purposely screwed it up this year so that whoever is taking over him next year will start from a clean slate?
    lol wishing

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They wouldn’t make the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Pop still plays Marco who in his last 35 minutes of play has 0 points and has given up a load of points on defense.
    -Pop still doesn't play Murray and White together
    -Pop still starts Bryn Forbes who ranks dead last in guards on defense. Forbes on-court/ off-court numbers are staggering for the team where we are more than 17 points better when he doesn't play as compared to when he does play. Also we go from a bottom 5 defense in the league to Top 10 when he sits.
    -Pop hardly plays Poetl who is our best rim protector and is actually elite this year on defense when he does play
    -Pop started the year by starting Murray and placing him on restricted minutes which gave both Murray and the team no chemistry going into the season and since Murray was on minutes restriction, he couldn't actually do anything to fix that issue.
    Pop has closed games with Forbes on the following players: Booker, Beal, and whoever the that guard in Cleveland who abused Forbes was. This led to 3 losses to the tiest teams in the league. There's more examples of this but these are off the top of my head.

In fact, I dare you to find three good things about Pop's coaching this year. Not bull ones either. Give me 3 good examples and I will even help, telling LMA to space the floor.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Pop would trade Simmons for Patty and Forbes because they can shoot threes. He'd also bench Embiid in the fourth quarter of playoff games and watch the other team get all the crucial rebounds.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Pop still plays Marco who in his last 35 minutes of play has 0 points and has given up a load of points on defense.
    -Pop still doesn't play Murray and White together
    -Pop still starts Bryn Forbes who ranks dead last in guards on defense. Forbes on-court/ off-court numbers are staggering for the team where we are more than 17 points better when he doesn't play as compared to when he does play. Also we go from a bottom 5 defense in the league to Top 10 when he sits.
    -Pop hardly plays Poetl who is our best rim protector and is actually elite this year on defense when he does play
    -Pop started the year by starting Murray and placing him on restricted minutes which gave both Murray and the team no chemistry going into the season and since Murray was on minutes restriction, he couldn't actually do anything to fix that issue.
    Pop has closed games with Forbes on the following players: Booker, Beal, and whoever the that guard in Cleveland who abused Forbes was. This led to 3 losses to the tiest teams in the league. There's more examples of this but these are off the top of my head.

In fact, I dare you to find three good things about Pop's coaching this year. Not bull ones either. Give me 3 good examples and I will even help, telling LMA to space the floor.
    I'm not defending his coaching this year that's not my point. my point is most of you are acting like he doesn't know basketball or he never did. This year is the at ude of a coach who doesn't give. that's the problem his ego is catching up with him. However I truly believe Pop if he still had the fire is the best coat int he league by miles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not defending his coaching this year that's not my point. my point is most of you are acting like he doesn't know basketball or he never did. This year is the at ude of a coach who doesn't give. that's the problem his ego is catching up with him. However I truly believe Pop if he still had the fire is the best coat int he league by miles.
    I agree with that premise but the problem I believe is that person doesn't exist anymore. When his wife got sick, that was when Pop started coming off with this whole there's bigger things than basketball shtick, he may have coyly said it before (I don't remember) but his actions never backed up those words. His wife died and he's grieving and I think to him he rather coach and be on the road with friends than be alone in an empty house. I can't blame him, it's why I'm not that angry with Pop, but that fire died the moment she got sick and he realized/believed that this really is just a game and in the grand scheme of things isn't that important.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with that premise but the problem I believe is that person doesn't exist anymore. When his wife got sick, that was when Pop started coming off with this whole there's bigger things than basketball shtick, he may have coyly said it before (I don't remember) but his actions never backed up those words. His wife died and he's grieving and I think to him he rather coach and be on the road with friends than be alone in an empty house. I can't blame him, it's why I'm not that angry with Pop, but that fire died the moment she got sick and he realized/believed that this really is just a game and in the grand scheme of things isn't that important.
    Completely agree with this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if in some world Pop was just a coach and had no input on management I believe that he could take the very same 76ers roster to the NBA Finals next year.
    Nope. His success had everything to do with Tim Duncan. Not only was Tim one of the greatest players in the history of the league, he also allowed Pop to coach him. Today's star players would chew Pop up and spit him out....kind of like they are doing now. Pop saves his yelling for the scrubs and kisses Demar's and LA's ass. It's sad and disgusting. He should have retired when Tim did to save his reputation and legacy.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh if Flopovich would coach the Heat Bam Adebayo would rot on the bench and 2 of their starters would play in the G-League. He’s an idiot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh if Flopovich would coach the Heat Bam Adebayo would rot on the bench and 2 of their starters would play in the G-League. He’s an idiot
    Never forget he chose his boy Derrick and Mason ing Plumlee over Fox and Bam.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So watching sixers game a few week back. I remember rhe commentators saying Elton brand has the final say on matters between him and coach now. They also confirmed elton backs brett brown as in fully supports him as coach.

Not sure that be ok with Pop. He'd be losing his by mid season because he be accountable. Loove to see it happen . Humble lord Pop. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. That comment is actually quite observant and at the same time really depressing and sad......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is the rare coach who's historically been helped by also being the lead executive. The Spurs used to be really good at finding guys who had the potential to be role-players for them and then working with them to get valuable depth. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Pop as a scheme architect and culture-setter has been beyond Pop the game-manager for a long time now. Reducing him to just a coach would expose his weaknesses. Honestly, the most troubling thing about the Spurs right now is that Pop and RC/Wright don't seem to be on the same page anymore. This year, Pop looks like he's coaching a team he didn't put together (and because of the USANT didn't have time to create a scheme for). A 2020-2021 run with the Sixers would probably look pretty similar, considering that it's an Olympic year and Pop's mind is definitely going to be more on that than on trying to figure out how to make Embiid, Horford, Harris and Simmons work together.
    Great post. You make several really good points.

Pop does look like he's coaching a team he didn't build and has no confidence in. You almost get the impression that the national team took his focus and he showed up to training camp and had no idea what to do with this group. There's been nothing creative done with this roster, no attempts to experiment, tinker or change things. The old Pop would have driven some of us crazy with his tinkering. This version of Pop almost looks bored and dejected. Maybe we're confusing senility with apathy.

The Carroll debacle just emphasizes the fact that there's a chasm between Pop and whatever decisions were made in his absence over the summer. Really bizarre.

Thread Information