Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been starting them in the face for years and it's getting progressively worse. At first, the likes of Horry, Jackson, Blair, could be brushed off as malcontents who either wanted to extent their stay or play. Then it was whatever the happened with Dedmon, then it was some of Simmons' comments, then the Aldridge fiasco, the S bag saga, heck even subtle shots and/or frustration from the likes of Green, Anderson, Bertans, Murray, Walker and finally, the bizarre Carroll situation.

Most of these players have a two very obvious things in common: They're black American and millennial. That encompasses the majority of the league, particularly the upper crust.

They clearly perceive of this organization as being at best a dictatorship, replete with militaristic rigidity and a lack of freedom (many have referenced this) and at worst a plantation mentality.

These are the people they need to repair their image with, especially being in a non glamour market. They need to create an environment conducive to them, which means loosening the reigns on court and off court, promoting the individual, both publicly and privately.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These young dumb ballers ain't overanalyzing that sh**. Kids just don't want to play in the butt hole of America.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been starting them in the face for years and it's getting progressively worse. At first, the likes of Horry, Jackson, Blair, could be brushed off as malcontents who either wanted to extent their stay or play. Then it was whatever the happened with Dedmon, then it was some of Simmons' comments, then the Aldridge fiasco, the S bag saga, heck even subtle shots and/or frustration from the likes of Green, Anderson, Bertans, Murray, Walker and finally, the bizarre Carroll situation.

Most of these players have a two very obvious things in common: They're black American and millennial. That encompasses the majority of the league, particularly the upper crust.

They clearly perceive of this organization as being at best a dictatorship, replete with militaristic rigidity and a lack of freedom (many have referenced this) and at worst a plantation mentality.

These are the people they need to repair their image with, especially being in a non glamour market. They need to create an environment conducive to them, which means loosening the reigns on court and off court, promoting the individual, both publicly and privately.
    This couldn't be any further from the truth. This organization employs and promotes multiple players on this roster with questionable reputations. just look at the roster two of the most popular players on this team are very urban and have possible gang ties. The Spurs allow DJ o be himself on and off the court.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If they kept those players on the team then they would have a image problem.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this again

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don’t have a image problem. They have a Pop problem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Most of these players have a two very obvious things in common: They're black American and millennial.
    Most of ALL NBA players have those 2 things in common. Another commonality is they're millionaires. Hmm, perhaps that is another piece to the puzzle. And gosh, they're all males TOO! I think we've cracked it!

Really though, I don't think age or race has anything to do with it. I think most people just don't want to have an asshole boss. And Pop's a stubborn asshole, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think its a race problem, I do think its Pop's rigidity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for whatever reason pop hasn’t jelled with American black players very well. I don’t think he’s a racist but he definitely can’t relate as well as other coaches..a shame when the largest talent pool is American black players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only image problem is Duncan looking like a homeless Ice T tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This couldn't be any further from the truth. This organization employs and promotes multiple players on this roster with questionable reputations. just look at the roster two of the most popular players on this team are very urban and have possible gang ties. The Spurs allow DJ o be himself on and off the court.
    gang ties...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    �� gang ties...
    Demar might be a Crip iirc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only image problem is Duncan looking like a homeless Ice T tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that were true, he would've been murked already for all the depression talk. Those knuckleheads don't want to be perceived in that way at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    uhm until we send our star player a letter written in comic sans i won't go crazy. All small market teams have this problem! Atlanta had to fire Ferry, The clippers got rid of their racist owner.

If you are expecting the spurs to have a better reputation, why would you? The only reason we care now is we lack the talent to overcome it! players would suck it up because playing with TIM was a good thing. NO tim around, complain away. if LMA and derozan we better humans they could mediate, but they are clearly not great communicators.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There are like 3 teams that are good places for these guys. Do people hate the spurs more than okc, Milwaukee, or the knicks?

And does it just come down to, not wanting to play for a loser?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    horry keeping it real tbh. we need a youth infusion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s fun to have all these round and round conversations about the team’s problems, when in reality, the bottom line is that Pop just needs to retire, PERIOD. All of these “issues” can move in a new direction as soon as Pop releases the reins of this team.

Pop has become Warden Norton from Shawshank.

*on the floor of an empty AT&T Center after the Spurs just blew another lead, lights dim*

Pop: Son, you think if I give you a few minutes, you can contribute to the team on the floor.

Carroll: Just give me that chance.

Pop: *snuffs cigarette under his shoe, looks up at RC in the press box*
    Last edited by UZER; 02-16-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mmmmmmk

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte has possible Crip ties too thy don't really hide it either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes and no. I think people used to consider the Spurs "boring but good" and now that they aren't good anymore, they're just boring. The team badly needs/needed Murray to grow into a real star, since on it's face he seems like a guy who could present a strong image to his peers and even to newer fans. Add in their culture dying off and even the massive erosion of their privileged position with international players, and the team has a ton of work to do rebuilding their image. However, I don't think the buddy-buddy, recruit-a-superstar strategy was going to work anyway. The team is going to have to draft well, improve their depth with shrewd signings and improve with impact trades. If they become another inmate-run prison, they'll still be behind almost every other NBA team in terms of appeal. They're going to need a unique culture if they're going to sell guys on staying around. I think the familylike atmosphere they had during their heyday is best. Yeah, I don't really think that should involve Pop yelling at guys or being surly with the media. But it should still involve quirky like the HEB commercials, the United Nations clique and that stupid Grease cover.

Really (and you know I'm serious given how often I've defended them and will continue to do so) the issue isn't so much that the Spurs can't connect to the modern NBA player as it is that the Spurs can't be the Spurs anymore with DeRozan melting down if he doesn't get calls and Aldridge going into a s if he doesn't start games off in rhythm. Like, you can't tear into those guys. On other teams, that probably wouldn't be an issue. But it undermines Pop's authority for him to have to take such a soft hand with all of his stars at once. That's why Walker seems to have a hard time with Pop's "tough love". That's why Forbes can make the same mistakes over and over and not stop reaching when he's not supposed or getting there late. He knows he'll get his minutes if he pretends he feels bad about the bad defense, because he still tries on that end more than the stars do. Murray knows he can sulk if he gets benched because he knows the Spurs need him to be the face of the franchise.

Honestly, Becky coaching a team led by White, Poeltl, and Mills would probably get a similar culture to Utah, Memphis or Indy almost immediately. Hopefully, Murray and Walker could be part of that, but the jury's still out on how they'd fit in such an environment. There are reasons why they wouldn't want to do that. They talent level would probably be lower. But I also think they could find enough guys who fit that culture to field a playoff-contending team just like those other clubs did.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of. They have lma. Hes a lazy soft player. Spurs have no compe ors

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid post by the OP which isn't shocking since he's the village idiot of ST. Anyways the problem with the Spurs image is Pop. Once Pop goes the image problem will go away. Any team in this current NBA that's not located in NYC,LA,Miami,Houston,Bay Area will have a problem keeping their star players. Since those are the areas all of the players want to play in. Spurs have no control over their location.

For me I just don't give a about these star players. If the Spurs end up with a superstar through the draft all I can say is we'll have that player for 7 years and after that it's crap shoot whether or not he stays. I definitely believe if the spurs can win a le in that 7 year span there is a 99 percent chance that the superstar player will stay. #2 is an exceptions to the rules but if Lebron was able to win in Cleveland he wouldn't have left in the first place. I believe if the bucks win it all this year or next year that Giannis will stay in Milwaukee.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have a coach that is 70 yo and that made his craft out of old school discipline. He became one of the most successful coaches in the history of sport with his method. He is not about to change it now and today it is probably an era where EQ and SQ come more into play for team management success. Not Pop's neck of the woods. That problem will go with the coach going. The real image issue here is the NBA controlled by tantrum bound pseudo stars who are ruled weekly by their vaginas and throw franchises in disarray just because they did not get the right blow job on any given day. In that respect the NBA is a shame to organised professional world sport and a real conundrum.

Thread Information