Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only thing I feel you can blame Pop for is that he doesn't promote his players when it comes to winning awards. Honestly I don't think #2 gave a about endorsements early on in his career and even up until a few years ago. Hence him never trying to make himself available for the media. If you look at guys like Lebron,Durant,Kobe,Giannis,Jordan,Shaq they were all promoting themselves with media appearances and interviews early on in their careers. The media is the gateway for endorsements. #2 never did any of that stuff. Plus he lacks charisma and he's not as engaging as those guys are in interviews.

I feel the guy who did start to care about endorsements was uncle Dennis and hence #2 then started caring about them but he never gave any indications early on he wanted to be in the spotlight. You have to want to be in the spotlight to be a big time endorser. I'm being objective here but I have never seen a player with #2's personality ever get a ton of endorsements in any sport.
    I agree with you. I'm not blaming Pop. At the end of the day Kawhi chose Dennis over Pop and that had to hurt Pop something fierce. But I feel like we should've been ahead of the 8 ball here instead of behind it. I agree with you and someone else that Kawhi had ty representation when it came to endorsements and maybe he didn't want them in the beginning, but the Spurs PR should've been all over it. For all I know, Pop did try and make some calls and put Kawhi with better representation or better people and Kawhi turned it down. I'm just saying that it's Pop's job to know Kawhi and his uncle at all times. Not Pop the coach but Pop the President of Operations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi couldn’t give two s about being compared to LeBrat when he’s going to end up with a better postseason legacy. Your boy James Fartin & CP0 can fight it out for regular season supremacy.
    Is that why he's copied him? It was made abundantly clear during his quitting on the Spurs, that he was seeking what James has: credit, fame and power.

At thinking S bag will ever be mentioned in the same breathe as James, no matter how many contrived, "load managed" championships he "wins" or that I give a about Harden or Paul.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Is that why he's copied him? It was made abundantly clear during his quitting on the Spurs, that he was seeking what James has: credit, fame and power.

At thinking S bag will ever be mentioned in the same breathe as James, no matter how many contrived, "load managed" championships he "wins" or that I give a about Harden or Paul.
    , who said Queen James was the first person who had “credit, fame and power”? outta here with your contrived as takes ala tyFO. Who gives a about the regular seasons when muphucka is delivering in the postseason? DeFrozen fanboys? (Btw, Wade was basically toast by this point of his career & still get mentioned in the same breath as Jordan)

In any case enjoy your lord & savior getting butt ed by Kawhi.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 02-19-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , who said Queen James was the first person who had “credit, fame and power”? outta here with your contrived as takes ala tyFO. Who gives a about the regular seasons when muphucka is delivering in the postseason? DeFrozen fanboys? (Btw, Wade was basically toast by this point of his career & still get mentioned in the same breath as Jordan)

In any case enjoy your lord & savior getting butt ed by Kawhi.
    Still mad, I see. I didn't say first, re .

I thought the All-Star game MVP mattered? So an exhibition did, but the regular season doesn't? Or does it when it benefits S bag?

He's "delivered" for more than 5 minutes in the post season once and he needed a team that only existed because of his intentionally destroying his value, 95 games of rest over 2 years, the best team in the league to have 5 of their top 7 injured and the other elite team to not yet be ready for prime time.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Still mad, I see. I didn't say first, re .

I thought the All-Star game MVP mattered? So an exhibition did, but the regular season doesn't? Or does it when it benefits S bag?

He's "delivered" for more than 5 minutes in the post season once and he needed a team that only existed because of his intentionally destroying his value, 95 games of rest over 2 years, the best team in the league to have 5 of their top 7 injured and the other elite team to not yet be ready for prime time.
    You mean to tell me he beat MULTIPLE teams with multiple all-stars just like the rest of the “all-timers”?

But..but...but..he didn’t beat a team with 5 all-stars with Kyle Lowry

Btw, where the did I bring up all-star MVP you dumb ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you. I'm not blaming Pop. At the end of the day Kawhi chose Dennis over Pop and that had to hurt Pop something fierce. But I feel like we should've been ahead of the 8 ball here instead of behind it. I agree with you and someone else that Kawhi had ty representation when it came to endorsements and maybe he didn't want them in the beginning, but the Spurs PR should've been all over it. For all I know, Pop did try and make some calls and put Kawhi with better representation or better people and Kawhi turned it down. I'm just saying that it's Pop's job to know Kawhi and his uncle at all times. Not Pop the coach but Pop the President of Operations.
    Pop failed in the sense that he underestimated Uncle Dennis power and influence on #2. He thought he could step in and become #2's surrogate father without knowing that Uncle Dennis would always have that role with #2. Pop should get blamed in the sense he failed when it came to the PR media war between him and Uncle Dennis/#2. Dennis and #2 threw body shots at the Spurs through the media and the Spurs didn't get in any shots back at them. He also failed in the trade. He should have traded #2 to the Hornets for Kemba and some role players. At least in that scenario #2 would not have won a le and there would still be question marks that he would have to deal with as a player. Pop pretty much gifted him a le by sending him to Toronto which did even more PR damage to the Spurs.

When it came to endorsements there is nothing Pop and PR department could do to help #2. #2 is a marketing nightmare. He has zero personality and his game is not exciting to watch for the casual fan. That's just a bad combination. The only thing I have seen with the marketing now is them trying to brand him as this cool funny re ed guy. Like I said before it's odd how #2 want's endorsements but doesn't make himself accessible through social media, interviews, like the current stars do like Lebron,Durant,Giannis,Curry. I always get youtube recommendations for those players and it seems like they do over 50 different interviews per a week. Just today I got a recommendation from youtube to watch a roundtable discussion Giannis had with Obama during all-star break. My point is #2 would never be willing to do stuff like those other guys do to get attention which leads to endorsements. #2 wants to be famous but also wants to be private and not accessible which makes him overall look re ed. This is equivalent to someone saying they want to gain muscle and be strong but refuse to lift weights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi was a perfect fit in San Antonio. He could have dominated the league and stayed out of the limelight. He's a great basketball player, but not a lot of neurons firing outside of that safe place. Oh well....

Had Uncle Dennis not been mingling, I'm fairly certain Leonard would have stayed put. Unfortunately #2 couldn't serve two dictators. And Pop wasn't going to play ball with Uncle...you can't have two guys in charge who both want things their way. From what I hear, Dennis isn't much smarter than Leonard, at least as an agent and negotiator/representative, he just knows how to be opportunistic and capitalize on Kawhi's talent. There was no way a Popovich - Uncle Dennis relationship was ever going to work, long-term. It's just too bad the Spurs didn't figure this out sooner and line their pockets a bit with a trade that would have set them up for the next ten years, instead of a stop-gap solution that did nothing for the team. I really do think Pop might have failed here by being stubborn and thinking he could just bend other people's wills to meet his plans and expectations. He should have cut bait early in the fight instead of trading blows, and ultimately letting the big fish slip away.

As a result, the state of the current Spurs is probably more on Pop for how he handled Kawhi. Pop is smart enough to know who he was dealing with and should have planned accordingly. Kawhi and Uncle Dennis are just a autist and his opportunistic family member. Pop got outplayed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean to tell me he beat MULTIPLE teams with multiple all-stars just like the rest of the “all-timers”?

But..but...but..he didn’t beat a team with 5 all-stars with Kyle Lowry

Btw, where the did I bring up all-star MVP you dumb ?

The bottom line is, he needed pristine cir stances to win and if he didn't get that one final break with Thompson in game 6, he/them might have choked it away anyway.

They didn't have 5 All-Stars and Lowry has been a top 15 regular season player for a half decade and was finally able to more or less carry that over to the playoffs.

Still mad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny how we bash the FO and point out how horribly they've been the past several years, especially when it comes to handling players, yet refuse to believe they had any fault in Kawhi leaving...

They did him wrong, then tried to low-ball him on the contract and that was the last straw... He wanted to be a spur... But if he can't, he wanted to go home with his wife where they're from... Him leaving Toronto doesn't mean he was gonna leave in the first place... I don't wanna leave my wife, but if we get divorced, that doesn't mean I'll settle for the first girl that comes my way

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The bottom line is, he needed pristine cir stances to win and if he didn't get that one final break with Thompson in game 6, he/them might have choked it away anyway.

They didn't have 5 All-Stars and Lowry has been a top 15 regular season player for a half decade and was finally able to more or less carry that over to the playoffs.

Still mad.
    Kawhi player through injuries & delivered. Next question...

You bring up “what if’s” when they Raptors would have been swept by the Sixers if #2 didn’t carry them on their back let alone coming back from being down 0-2. As far as the Klay’s injury, Kawhi also got injured while ACTUALLY single handily dominating the Duds in ‘17 so I guess he should get a chip.

It’s not like they were up 3-2 & lost the series due to injury ala the Rockets. Closing out teams is tough but BOTTOM LINE is Kiwi lead a bunch of chokers to a chip.

BTW, didn’t Timothy go through a Mavs team that lost Dirk midway through the series.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 02-22-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi player through injuries & delivered. Next question...

You bring up “what if’s” when they Raptors would have been swept by the Sixers if #2 didn’t carry them on their back let alone coming back from being down 0-2. As far as the Klay’s injury, Kawhi also got injured while ACTUALLY single handily dominating the Duds in ‘17 so I guess he should get a chip.

It’s not like they were up 3-2 & lost the series due to injury ala the Rockets. Closing out teams is tough but BOTTOM LINE is Kiwi lead a bunch of chokers to a chip.

BTW, didn’t Timothy go through a Mavs team that lost Dirk midway through the series.
    He needed . . .

- A complete team, which he only received because he intentionally destroyed his value and Gasol to the Hornets fell apart at the 1 yard line

- 5 of the Warriors top 7 players to suc b to significant injury

- The league to be bereft of another veteran championship team. The only other conceivable contenders were the thin, turmoil ridden Rockets, who the Warriors took care of and the not quite ready for prime time Bucks (and yes, I called that all season)

S bag was hurt, not injured and he accounts for 1 player, not 5. No one is suggesting the Raptors didn't need him to "win"; both things can be true.

In '03, the Mavs weren't beating the Spurs either way, but sure, many have benefitted from 1 injury, not 5 of 7 to the prohibitive favorites. Duncan also won 4 other (let's face it, 5 in his case) championships that were above reproach.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    ​
    He needed . . .

- A complete team, which he only received because he intentionally destroyed his value and Gasol to the Hornets fell apart at the 1 yard line

- 5 of the Warriors top 7 players to suc b to significant injury

- The league to be bereft of another veteran championship team. The only other conceivable contenders were the thin, turmoil ridden Rockets, who the Warriors took care of and the not quite ready for prime time Bucks (and yes, I called that all season)

S bag was hurt, not injured and he accounts for 1 player, not 5. No one is suggesting the Raptors didn't need him to "win"; both things can be true.

In '03, the Mavs weren't beating the Spurs either way, but sure, many have benefitted from 1 injury, not 5 of 7 to the prohibitive favorites. Duncan also won 4 other (let's face it, 5 in his case) championships that were above reproach.
    Let’s see, OG was out for the series, Lowry had a hand injury & Kawhi had injuries to both knees but let’s ignore they Raptors were up 3-1 while barely breaking a sweat. (Raptors showed they could crank it up against the Bucks)

The Raptors had them down 3-1 while the Duds had the same squad that closed out the Rockets (Cousins actually returned & helped them steal a game in the Finals). The Duds needed miracles to pull 2 games out of their asses while the Raptors at best played 2 complete games & were cruising most of the series. The Duds meanwhile were playing with desperation (Kerr even said it) sans Snake which is why the series was closer than it actually was ala the Clippers/Duds.

If the Raptors were firing on all cylinders & were struggling then it would be one thing but that wasn’t the case. (The Raptors beat them going away in Gm 4 with the Duds having 3 all-stars + Iggy on their home floor b/c Kawhi took over the game)

As far as Timothy & the ‘03 Mavs, it would have gone 7 if Steve Kerr didn’t happen but yeah the Mavs “didn’t have a chance” with Sperm Killa Dirk who was the reason they stole Gm 1. I wonder what you would have said if that was the Raptors......
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 02-22-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​

Let’s see, OG was out for the series, Lowry had a hand injury & Kawhi had injuries to both knees but let’s ignore they Raptors were up 3-1 while barely breaking a sweat. (Raptors showed they could crank it up against the Bucks)

The Raptors had them down 3-1 while the Duds had the same squad that closed out the Rockets (Cousins actually returned & helped them steal a game in the Finals). The Duds needed miracles to pull 2 games out of their asses while the Raptors at best played 2 complete games & were cruising most of the series. The Duds meanwhile were playing with desperation (Kerr even said it) sans Snake which is why the series was closer than it actually was ala the Clippers/Duds.

If the Raptors were firing on all cylinders & were struggling then it would be one thing but that wasn’t the case. (The Raptors beat them going away in Gm 4 with the Duds having 3 all-stars + Iggy on their home floor b/c Kawhi took over the game)

As far as Timothy & the ‘03 Mavs, it would have gone 7 if Steve Kerr didn’t happen but yeah the Mavs “didn’t have a chance” with Sperm Killa Dirk who was the reason they stole Gm 1. I wonder what you would have said if that was the Raptors......
    Comparing the 7th or 8th man being out to 5 of the top 7 (on a thinner team to begin with) and thinking being up 3-1 was impressive. The fact that they easily could have gone 7 had Thompson not went down, was embarrassing on the Raptors part.

Lowry, like S bag, was hurt (non shooting hand), not injured, which is why it didn't affect his play.

Lowry and Siakam were and as good as Thompson and Green, so stop playing this game like S bag carried some nobodies over some star laden roster.

Uh, Kerr was part of the team (by the way, who do you think created those shots for him?) and either way, we've seen 7 game series where you knew the underdog stood no chance and it played out that way (see Spurs-Mavs '14).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we really gonna act like we weren't laughing our asses off when he was traded to Toronto? Now we gonna act like he was traded to the warriors now that he actually won? Y'all looked at is as a punishment when he was sent there and he shoved it right back up yours worth a chip... No one ever took the raps seriously... Just like how no one takes them seriously now... Literally no expert have them having a chance to win a ring, nevertheless making the finals

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Comparing the 7th or 8th man being out to 5 of the top 7 (on a thinner team to begin with) and thinking being up 3-1 was impressive. The fact that they easily could have gone 7 had Thompson not went down, was embarrassing on the Raptors part.

Lowry, like S bag, was hurt (non shooting hand), not injured, which is why it didn't affect his play.

Lowry and Siakam were and as good as Thompson and Green, so stop playing this game like S bag carried some nobodies over some star laden roster.

Uh, Kerr was part of the team (by the way, who do you think created those shots for him?) and either way, we've seen 7 game series where you knew the underdog stood no chance and it played out that way (see Spurs-Mavs '14).
    LMAO at comparing the ‘14 Mavs to the ‘03 squad. The Mavs lost Gm 6 b/c they couldn’t score which is something Dirk excels at & not b/c they couldn’t stop the Sperms.

The ‘14 series had to do with the taking the Mavs lightly & getting flummoxed by the gimmicky switch defense b/c Porker kept dribbling the air out of the ball waiting for an open lane or man instead of attacking mismatches.

BTW, Siakam completely shat his pants in the games the Duds came back to win & dude was being left wide open since Draymond was doubling Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cry more

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People criticize the Spurs for apparently forcing him to play throughout the regular season, but completely turn a blind eye when pop told the entire world he was sitting kawhi in the playoffs even when kawhi told ESPN he was going to play

Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO at comparing the ‘14 Mavs to the ‘03 squad. The Mavs lost Gm 6 b/c they couldn’t score which is something Dirk excels at & not b/c they couldn’t stop the Sperms.

The ‘14 series had to do with the taking the Mavs lightly & getting flummoxed by the gimmicky switch defense b/c Porker kept dribbling the air out of the ball waiting for an open lane or man instead of attacking mismatches.

BTW, Siakam completely shat his pants in the games the Duds came back to win & dude was being left wide open since Draymond was doubling Kawhi.
    Not surprisingly, you conflated context for an all out comparison. The '03 Spurs weren't losing once they broke through the Lakers.

Now you're doing the opposite, conflating all out comparison with context. In general, Siakam and Lowry were the same caliber of players as Green and Thompson. By many measures, you could argue greater, but the lack of a playoff track record evens it out.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Not surprisingly, you conflated context for an all out comparison. The '03 Spurs weren't losing once they broke through the Lakers.
    What kind of cookie-cutter/simpleton hot take is that....even Magic would be impressed.

Now you're doing the opposite, conflating all out comparison with context. In general, Siakam and Lowry were the same caliber of players as Green and Thompson. By many measures, you could argue greater, but the lack of a playoff track record evens it out.
    Haters lie, numbers don’t:
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 02-23-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What kind of cookie-cutter/simpleton hot take is that....even Magic would be impressed.

Haters lie, numbers don’t:
    At the casual fan, "anything can happen" mentality. This isn't the other major leagues.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    At the casual fan, "anything can happen" mentality. This isn't the other major leagues.
    Look who’s laughing at himself after claiming anything could have happened if Thompson didn’t get injured despite the Raptors winning most of the quarters while cruising....

Kawhi won on his own terms & you couldn’t do anything but weave narratives like a little who has nothing better to do than be envious.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look who’s laughing at himself after claiming anything could have happened if Thompson didn’t get injured despite the Raptors winning most of the quarters while cruising....

Kawhi won on his own terms & you couldn’t do anything but weave narratives like a little who has nothing better to do than be envious.
    Your lack of basic reading comprehension is astonishing.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Your lack of basic reading comprehension is astonishing.
    I read through your BS narratives, there is nothing of substance. The end.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best in the league, you say?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buh-bye Nephew!!!

Thread Information