Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubt it, he just won with Raptors and he bolted
    yeah dont think championships was gonna make a difference. he won with us, left, won with toronto, left

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say if Kawhi turns down $250 million when he made it clear that he's all about the money. But LA seems like it was his endgame all along. Him leaving screwed us over for the foreseeable future, but we can come back from it... I trust.

A place that the Spurs could improve is marketing their players. Duncan didn't want to do it and that's fine. But in my childhood the Spurs always had someone on national TV marketing us as a brand. Robinson and Rodman too. Tony and Manu should've had more commercials, but they did have some(I actually can only remember one Manu commerical and 2 Tony commericals). Hard to say though if that wasn't Stern's fault.

I'm not saying Pop prohibits this or anything, but he doesn't promote it. Kawhi should've been getting national commercials when he was a Spur. The second he won Finals MVP his face should've been plastered everywhere. And he should've had so many national commercials when he won his DPOY. I think if Pop calls Jordan and tells him to promote him better or calls Gatorade or Powerade or McDonalds or Coke or someone then Kawhi would've stayed. even Giannis has national commercials.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No reason to "hate to say it". It hurts to say, but not to admit. I think we all believed, when healthy, he was one of, if not, THE BEST player in the league. He routinely bukkaked all over Lebron James when James was considered the NBA's top player. We all knew different. He led a group of corpses to a 20+ half time lead over the Warriors in the WCF. What's embarrassing and being exposed now is that the Spurs had anything to do with his "Greatness". Kawhi has wanted to be the best and the Spurs were fortunate enough to benefit from his work ethic. Trading for him was equivalent to winning the franchise's 3rd #1 Lottery pick. That's unprecedented. Him leaving completely devastated this franchise. He's represented by his prick Uncle and Kawhi may be just as big a prick too. But I'm a grown up and all that PR, friendly stuff doesn't mean jack to me. Just win & stay out of jail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs help build the perfect monster and lost control of it. The dynasty could have gone for another 7 years if we didn't lose him. Watched a little of the All-Star game and there wasn't a player I would choose over Kiwi, only Giannis is close. It sucks because he was already in place Timmay's heir.
    Trying to control it is what probably made it worse. There was nothing the Spurs could've done to keep him from LA. Him and his Donald Trump loving agent made it that way. What can they do if a player is willing to sit out 2 years of his max contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he isn't. In what world does the best player leave his team and with no significant changes they're actually performing better without him than with him

Top 5 yeah but his defense is nowhere near 2017 levels so he is not the two way player he was. Weird this thread gets made after an all star game Kawhi just got hot in the first half tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's already a thread for this....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he isn't. In what world does the best player leave his team and with no significant changes they're actually performing better without him than with him

Top 5 yeah but his defense is nowhere near 2017 levels so he is not the two way player he was. Weird this thread gets made after an all star game Kawhi just got hot in the first half tbh
    we’ll see when the raptors lose to the heat, Celtics, 76ers etc in the playoffs. the regular season lmao

LOL who’s better than him right now? Surely not lebum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I highly doubt the Raps will lose to any of those bum ass teams. And you can say RS doesn't matter but fact is Toronto lost "the best player" for nothing, plus green, and have a better record and a franchise record win streak without him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what Giannis is doing himself with no load management is far far more impressive. Idc what happened last year in the playoffs. I mean right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No reason to "hate to say it". It hurts to say, but not to admit. I think we all believed, when healthy, he was one of, if not, THE BEST player in the league. He routinely bukkaked all over Lebron James when James was considered the NBA's top player. We all knew different. He led a group of corpses to a 20+ half time lead over the Warriors in the WCF. What's embarrassing and being exposed now is that the Spurs had anything to do with his "Greatness". Kawhi has wanted to be the best and the Spurs were fortunate enough to benefit from his work ethic. Trading for him was equivalent to winning the franchise's 3rd #1 Lottery pick. That's unprecedented. Him leaving completely devastated this franchise. He's represented by his prick Uncle and Kawhi may be just as big a prick too. But I'm a grown up and all that PR, friendly stuff doesn't mean jack to me. Just win & stay out of jail.
    Reason why I hated to say it, is I wasn't just trying to start a flame thread like Dabomb used to, just watching the All-Star game crystalized for me, these are the best of the best and there isn't any one out there that is close to the nephew in desirability. Like I said maybe Giannis but after him the gap is large. Heck maybe KD when healthy but he is so thin skinned, I much prefer Kiwi and Giannis over him. Maybe Steff he is a game changer in a different sort of way but there is a gap between the truly elite and the just pretty good. I like AD but all the years of futility in New Orleans make me doubt his ability to be 'the man' on a championship team. I have no such doubts about Kiwi, Steph and KD and we will see about Giannis but he has gotten the Bucks farther than AD ever got the Pels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I highly doubt the Raps will lose to any of those bum ass teams. And you can say RS doesn't matter but fact is Toronto lost "the best player" for nothing, plus green, and have a better record and a franchise record win streak without him
    And what Giannis is doing himself with no load management is far far more impressive. Idc what happened last year in the playoffs. I mean right now.
    all I see is regular season bull . heat will annihilate the raps in the playoffs

and lmao just stack the box against giannis...kawhi will dunk on him (again) should they face each other in the finals.

your hatred is blinding you to the fact that we're witnessing a current top 15, probably top 10 player by the end of his career.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all I see is regular season bull . heat will annihilate the raps in the playoffs

and lmao just stack the box against giannis...kawhi will dunk on him (again) should they face each other in the finals.

your hatred is blinding you to the fact that we're witnessing a current top 15, probably top 10 player by the end of his career.
    Uh that Clippers team would lose to the Rockets or Jazz. I agree tho Kawhi has Lebricks number no way in that bum ever beats Kawhi.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh that Clippers team would lose to the Rockets or Jazz. I agree tho Kawhi has Lebricks number no way in that bum ever beats Kawhi.
    Because his souped up Bowen ass was a beneficiary of playing on one of the greatest teams of all-time, that ran circles around the carcasses of the worn down Heat? Or is it because the had a tantrum and decided he needed an even more contrived team than the one he left, with waves of James defenders, to beat his old ass (that has no secondary perimeter scorer/play makers)?

He has no business being mentioned in the same breathe as him and has forfeited the right to ever be the best player in the league conversation because of his lack of durability and contrived rosters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs had a lot to do with his "greatness," idiot. Wasn't it Chip Engelland (a Spurs assistant coach) that corrected his shot? Wasn't it the Spurs development staff that helped him become a great offensive player? His predraft comparisons were Gerald Wallace, Luc Mbah Moute & (I believe) Shawn Marion.
    Saying the Spurs had "nothing to do" with his "greatness" is beyond dumb. Especially when every other player of his type of profile or skillset (in college) has flamed out (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Justise Winslow, Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis - Jefferson, etc.) or never come close to his heights.

Here you go as a refresher of where he was slotted and how he was thought of before his time there.....

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/kawhi-leonard/

They worked with him a lot on his footwork, technique and post up game.

Which Leonard with his incredible work ethic, ability to learn, study and improve used to become an elite offensive talent.

Also, he still isn't better than Giannis Antetokounmpo but I know his circle jerk crew will scream "2 Finals MVP's" while Giannis wins his second league MVP.....

Anyway, a lot of this thread is regurgitated whining about a guy who is never coming back. Let it go, move on and hope the teams time in the cellar isn't too long.....
    Last edited by J_Paco; 02-17-2020 at 05:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nephew is autistic. He doesn't get social situations, so he plays with re level intensity regardless of the moment. You can say he's the best, that's fine.. if the best is 50% of the time available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate Leonard with a passion now. But only because i loved him so much on the Spurs and was ready for him to be the next DROB, Timmy. I'm sure everyone was. 2017 confirmed it for me, i knew he was the best player in the NBA that year.
    We are 2017 Champs if he doesn't go down, no doubt in my mind. "Horrible" roster and all, we beat the Warriors. We played them well all year including that 30pt smack down @ Golden State to start the regular season.

But the whole "hiding" in New York and not being on the bench while recovering and seemingly not even trying to come back to play in the playoffs really showed how big of a pussy he was. AD at least continued to play. This fool didn't. He was plenty ready to play, he just didn't want to. The whole situation truly sucked.
    I was never a fan of the guy. I liked his defense for sure, and his work ethic while in SA was amazing, but I saw early on that Kawhi didn't give 2 s about the Spurs. It was obvious. Some here denied it when others would point out Kawhi was in a bubble and didn't make his teammates better - they make him better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    clippers would probably sweep the d’antoni rockets. jazz would be a decent series but that crybaby gobert and choker SPIDA don’t push the needle

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    clippers would probably sweep the d’antoni rockets. jazz would be a decent series but that crybaby gobert and choker SPIDA don’t push the needle
    I know Harden is a choker but I don't trust Paul George people blow him for being a career loser. All he is is a SF version of Aldridge as far as playoff success goes. I've seen the Clips and Rockets play and if by some miracle Harden plays well they will beat the Clips.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say if Kawhi turns down $250 million when he made it clear that he's all about the money. But LA seems like it was his endgame all along. Him leaving screwed us over for the foreseeable future, but we can come back from it... I trust.

A place that the Spurs could improve is marketing their players. Duncan didn't want to do it and that's fine. But in my childhood the Spurs always had someone on national TV marketing us as a brand. Robinson and Rodman too. Tony and Manu should've had more commercials, but they did have some(I actually can only remember one Manu commerical and 2 Tony commericals). Hard to say though if that wasn't Stern's fault.

I'm not saying Pop prohibits this or anything, but he doesn't promote it. Kawhi should've been getting national commercials when he was a Spur. The second he won Finals MVP his face should've been plastered everywhere. And he should've had so many national commercials when he won his DPOY. I think if Pop calls Jordan and tells him to promote him better or calls Gatorade or Powerade or McDonalds or Coke or someone then Kawhi would've stayed. even Giannis has national commercials.
    Not Pop's job, or his fault that Kawhitter had terrible representation, a firm without any other NBA players. Endorsements (or lack thereof) are on the agent, not the organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know Harden is a choker but I don't trust Paul George people blow him for being a career loser. All he is is a SF version of Aldridge as far as playoff success goes. I've seen the Clips and Rockets play and if by some miracle Harden plays well they will beat the Clips.
    PG will be ok now that he isn’t the man, he was never gonna be a leader but he’s a good 2nd option. Not to mention the filthy bench the clips have. Harrell and williams extend leads like no other

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you be the best if you're playing far less than every other elite among your peers?
    his peak could be the highest okay. but best of the best you gotta run with the horses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi didn't look like a finisher at the end at all, tbh.
    That's because Lebron and Harden were freezing him out, taking horrible shots and totally ignoring the best player on their team on the last 10 or so possessions of the game. The fact that Lebron won't defer to Kawhi at this stage in his career is a really bad look, tbh. Like he's not ready to concede that Kawhi has surpassed him. Which he has.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's because Lebron and Harden were freezing him out, taking horrible shots and totally ignoring the best player on their team on the last 10 or so possessions of the game. The fact that Lebron won't defer to Kawhi at this stage in his career is a really bad look, tbh. Like he's not ready to concede that Kawhi has surpassed him. Which he has.
    Sports Center shows Lebron going down the lane for an open dunk at the end. They don't show the seven other plays he was ineffective on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is a top 3 NBA player for sure. But Spurs didn't lose him. I'm sure whatever the Spurs did, it was enough to keep him if he wanted to stay. It's obvious, especially after Toronto, that he was going back to LA as soon as he had the chance. Not near enough money to convince him to stay, even at the supermax.

Thread Information