Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently Carroll was too stupid to learn Pop's playbook.

"We may never know completely why things didn’t work, but among other things, he reportedly had trouble leaning the schemes"

In other news, product gets ty ratings LMFAO
    The player empowerment era is killing the NBA
    "Local ratings for 27 of the NBA’s 30 teams (with the Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, and Toronto Raptors not included) are in at the league’s All-Star Break, and the news is not very good for the Association.

According to the ratings data compiled by the Sports Business Journal, those 27 teams are down 13% on their local RSNs, with 14 of the 27 experiencing declines in viewership. This news follows a similar trend to the national landscape, where ratings have dropped by 12%, from 10% on ESPN to to 13% on TNT and 16% on ABC.

The local story for the NBA isn’t encouraging. The Golden State Warriors, who have dominated the NBA’s local ratings for the last few years, saw their ratings decline by a staggering 66% on NBC Sports Bay Area. That’s the second-largest decline in the league (behind only the Denver Nuggets, down 72% on Al ude, which is beset by carriage issues), and has also knocked the Dubs out of the league’s top five overall. No team is averaging even a 4.00 rating in their local market, and just seven (Spurs, Bucks, 76ers, Thunder, Lakers, Blazers, Celtics) have hit 3.00. 11 teams can’t even get a 1.00 rating locally, including both New York teams (0.85 for the Knicks on MSG and 0.45, the league’s third-lowest mark, for the Nets on YES) and the Clippers (whose 86% rise to a 0.97 on Fox Sports Prime Ticket is the league’s highest local increase)."

https://awfulannouncing.com/nba/nba-...local-hit.html
    The Spurs fan base is actually still pretty loyal at the moment - probably due to the sustained success of the Spurs history in the NBA (only three and soon to be four losing seasons). Still, teams not in the top ten markets of the league know that their teams now have NO CHANCE of sustained success with the player "empowerment" (Collusion) that results in the player migration to the large west coast and east coast markets. Why watch the games when you are a casual fan? The product has devolved into a game of three point horse with no defense allowed. Players don't fulfill their contracts and demand to be traded when less than half their contractual time has been completed. Now the players will only sign short term contracts so they can put a gun to the head of the franchise they did sign with. Please let me know of a top shelf player in the NBA right now that is actually a decent person. The kid in Milwaukee (Gianis A.) seems like a good dude, but so many of the top shelf players have a total lack of self awareness - we don't really have to call those guys out anymore. We know who they are. A bunch of jerks for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet in the offseason they will extend derozan, over pay forbes and let white and poetl walk..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs fan base is actually still pretty loyal at the moment - probably due to the sustained success of the Spurs history in the NBA (only three and soon to be four losing seasons). Still, teams not in the top ten markets of the league know that their teams now have NO CHANCE of sustained success with the player "empowerment" (Collusion) that results in the player migration to the large west coast and east coast markets. Why watch the games when you are a casual fan? The product has devolved into a game of three point horse with no defense allowed. Players don't fulfill their contracts and demand to be traded when less than half their contractual time has been completed. Now the players will only sign short term contracts so they can put a gun to the head of the franchise they did sign with. Please let me know of a top shelf player in the NBA right now that is actually a decent person. The kid in Milwaukee (Gianis A.) seems like a good dude, but so many of the top shelf players have a total lack of self awareness - we don't really have to call those guys out anymore. We know who they are. A bunch of jerks for sure.
    It's a pretty bad look for GSW fans to just completely stop watching the team this year bc their bad. Spurs' fan base deserves a little credit for continuing to support the team through the first truly bad year in 20+ years. Wonder if the Nets get more interest than the Knicks on TV when Kevin Durant plays next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are lots of semi sports fans that just support winning teams because it's entertaining. Warriors are no exception. Also Curry is easily marketable. Not only is his talent generational defining, but he is also super religious, has an attractive wife, family - the Yanks love that. And he isn't playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​
    I bet in the offseason they will extend derozan, over pay forbes and let white and poetl walk..
    I'm almost sure they will overpay Forbes and very scared that they will not pay White and Poeltl. I don't mind a DeRozan extension since he at least has trade value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's time for Pop an his crew to step down. Its Becky's time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "had trouble learning the schemes" isn't this a lowkey way of saying a player is washed or can't keep up in practice.
    they don't want to admit they ed the pooch again, with no rubber. surreal time to be a Spursfan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a waste of money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis has already mentioned teaming up with his brothers in LA. I don't know if he was being facetious, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Embarrassing. Not only cap wise but the fact we pay him to play for a division opponent
    Wait, so he's getting all his guaranteed money?

Since it's after January 10, Carroll's full salary for this season has to be paid, I believe. The CBA guarantees a season's salary after Jan 10. Both the years 2 and 3 are probably negotiable, depending on exact details of the contract.

R. C. Buford was the GM at the time of all the Carroll / Bertans / Morris business, btw.

Wonder who the Spurs will get to fill the open roster spot. It's before the deadline for whoever they get to be playoff eligible. Har har.

The Holt kids are probably more focused on Caterpillar than the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PATFO used to pull stunts like this all the time, tbh... remember Van Exel, T-Mac, etc... back in the day it all got swept under the Timmy-Manu greatness...

Everything is more amplified when you're a ty team.
    Those were both minimum deals. You really trying to compare that to an MLE 3 year deal? Thats insane. Both of those signings were fine, even if Van Exel got too many minutes for a guy over the hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, financially it makes no sense to let him go if we still pay most of the money on the contract. The Spurs had the leverage here. Its a 3 year ing deal. The cap hits stay regardless even if they only paid him 1 more dollar. But that doesn't mean they are paying most of the promised money.

I know the Spurs are good about letting players out that want to be let out but holy you have to at least save yourself some money or else what is the point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since it's after January 10, Carroll's full salary for this season has to be paid, I believe. The CBA guarantees a season's salary after Jan 10. Both the years 2 and 3 are probably negotiable, depending on exact details of the contract.

R. C. Buford was the GM at the time of all the Carroll / Bertans / Morris business, btw.

Wonder who the Spurs will get to fill the open roster spot. It's before the deadline for whoever they get to be playoff eligible. Har har.

The Holt kids are probably more focused on Caterpillar than the Spurs.

It’s all negotiable FYI. Not the monies already paid, but any remaining amount due whether it be this season or beyond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, financially it makes no sense to let him go if we still pay most of the money on the contract. The Spurs had the leverage here. Its a 3 year ing deal. The cap hits stay regardless even if they only paid him 1 more dollar. But that doesn't mean they are paying most of the promised money.

I know the Spurs are good about letting players out that want to be let out but holy you have to at least save yourself some money or else what is the point?
    He’s giving up money - we just dont know yet on how much. But yeah, Spurs had leverage from a financial perspective but they lose some standing in the league if they use that leverage.

The point is only that they dont want to derail his career for mistakes they made. But this doesn’t help SA in any form.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently Carroll was too stupid to learn Pop's playbook.

"We may never know completely why things didn’t work, but among other things, he reportedly had trouble leaning the schemes"

In other news, product gets ty ratings LMFAO
    The player empowerment era is killing the NBA
    "Local ratings for 27 of the NBA’s 30 teams (with the Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, and Toronto Raptors not included) are in at the league’s All-Star Break, and the news is not very good for the Association.

According to the ratings data compiled by the Sports Business Journal, those 27 teams are down 13% on their local RSNs, with 14 of the 27 experiencing declines in viewership. This news follows a similar trend to the national landscape, where ratings have dropped by 12%, from 10% on ESPN to to 13% on TNT and 16% on ABC.

The local story for the NBA isn’t encouraging. The Golden State Warriors, who have dominated the NBA’s local ratings for the last few years, saw their ratings decline by a staggering 66% on NBC Sports Bay Area. That’s the second-largest decline in the league (behind only the Denver Nuggets, down 72% on Al ude, which is beset by carriage issues), and has also knocked the Dubs out of the league’s top five overall. No team is averaging even a 4.00 rating in their local market, and just seven (Spurs, Bucks, 76ers, Thunder, Lakers, Blazers, Celtics) have hit 3.00. 11 teams can’t even get a 1.00 rating locally, including both New York teams (0.85 for the Knicks on MSG and 0.45, the league’s third-lowest mark, for the Nets on YES) and the Clippers (whose 86% rise to a 0.97 on Fox Sports Prime Ticket is the league’s highest local increase)."

https://awfulannouncing.com/nba/nba-...local-hit.html
    Spurs still lead the league in local ratings despite the drop tbf.

I also think DISH not carrying FSSW has something to do with the drop. I had to get YouTubeTV on top of DISH to watch games but not everybody is a big baller like me, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s all negotiable FYI. ...

Provisions of the CBA are not negotiable between a team and a player, since they have already been negotiated between all the teams and all the players. FYI.

From Larry Coon's CBA FAQ, http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

See #63 and then #66.

"... on January 10, also known as the "cut-down date," the base salary in all contracts becomes guaranteed for the remainder of that season ... A player must clear waivers before this date, so teams have to waive players by 5:00 PM Eastern Time on January 7th in order to have them off their rosters before January 10."

As I stated, the CBA guarantees Carroll's base salary for this season, since it's after Jan 10. The CBA, itself, forbids Carroll from giving up his salary for this season.

The only possible exception, by arbitrator's decision, is in the last year of a contract. But Carroll's contract is in its first year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Provisions of the CBA are not negotiable between a team and a player, since they have already been negotiated between all the teams and all the players. FYI.

From Larry Coon's CBA FAQ, http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

See #63 and then #66.

"... on January 10, also known as the "cut-down date," the base salary in all contracts becomes guaranteed for the remainder of that season ... A player must clear waivers before this date, so teams have to waive players by 5:00 PM Eastern Time on January 7th in order to have them off their rosters before January 10."

As I stated, the CBA guarantees Carroll's base salary for this season, since it's after Jan 10. The CBA, itself, forbids Carroll from giving up his salary for this season.

The only possible exception, by arbitrator's decision, is in the last year of a contract. But Carroll's contract is in its first year.
    You realize the guy I tweeted and received the answer from is actually Larry Coon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's hard being GM when ownership demands you reach the playoffs without going over the cap. I don't doubt wright is not the best GM but the ownership has been cheap for a long long time and it's not going to be great time going forward. Hence wright doing desperate thing that backfire.
    The Spurs have been over the cap virtually every year since they moved into the ATT Center, and have gone over the tax several times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly if we weren’t going to play him this was the right thing to do, I’m glad it didn’t end as ugly as it could have on either side. We’ll see if he actually has anything left in the tank, although that wouldn’t explain if he just didn’t understand the system. Either way it’s another loss for Brian Wright who’s arguably best move (freeing cap space and signing Marcus Morris) miserably backfired on him. That one wasn’t his fault but he is responsible for other mistakes such as shipping Kawhi Leonard to a team who ended up winning the championship, when he could have gotten back Brandon Ingram in return instead.
    Ingram and Ball were never on the table. The offer was Hart, Kuzma, and a ty pick, singular.

I almost wished we had done it, though, just to see the catfight between Klutch and Impact, and their respective players. Kawhi wanted NO part of LeBron as a teammate or they would be on the same team now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. If true looks like Carroll only gave up the prorated minimum to get out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. If true looks like Carroll only gave up the prorated minimum to get out

if that's true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just embarrassing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what I figured. This organizaiton is soft and gutless.

He might have been tradeable this off season, especially if tethered to DeRozan, but they always prioritize public perception over what's best for the franchise. Meanwhile, they're in disarray, while the ones who doesn't give a are thriving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All over a career journeyman? Dude sucked and looked lost when he was here.

Thread Information