Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that supposed to make anyone feel better. Worse franchises and even those that generate more revenue also make dumb FO mistakes... How does that help the Spurs?
    IS this the classic... everyone else was doing it, middle school defense?!
    Right? now it's a battle of who's FO sucks more

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yo, thanks for putting these dudes in here on blast! Every team has dead money; usually San Antonio’s is a by design “ Thank You”!
    San Antonio's is worse, and partly by design, but also as a result of front office incompetence.

Most of those teams are trash anyway. So you're argument is that the Spurs are trash, but so are these other teams?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    about 2 3rds of these players were never even signed by the team that’s paying them, they acquired them in trades to match salary and then bought them out. Spurs can’t even trade their garbage.

You also realize that those numbers are a lot less than 11 million US $ or is math not your strong suit?
    Exactly. Weak middle school "everyone is doing it (but not really)" defense is weak. Even if that were true...I thought the Spurs were "different"? Guess not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio's is worse, and partly by design, but also as a result of front office incompetence.

Most of those teams are trash anyway. So you're argument is that the Spurs are trash, but so are these other teams?
    Atl Spur is one of the biggest sniffers on the site. He would drink Pop's bath water if he could. There's no reasoning with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they are gonna do that pls sign Isiah Thomas and Ish Smith to a 25m a year contract too.
    I didn’t mean per year but a 3 year deal. If they gave Forbes that per year I’m gonna sit right behind the Spurs bench here in Htown and talk the out of everyone. I’m gonna be that guy from Happy Gilmore only worse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The suns are paying Kyle korver 3.44m(he never even played for them.)

OKC is paying Kyle singler 1m every year until 2023... And Patrick Patterson until 2021

The Timberwolves are paying Cole Aldrich every year 685k until 2021

The warriors are paying Shaun Livingston 666k every year until 2022

The wizards are paying Jonathon Simmons 1m this year despite never playing for them.

The bucks are paying Larry Sanders 1.87m every year until 2022 and Jon leuer 3.17m every year until 2022.

The Cavs are paying jr Smith 1.46m every year until 2022

The Celtics are paying Demetrius Jackson 92k every year until 2024

The heat is paying Ryan Anderson 5.21m every year until 2022

The Knicks are paying joakim Noah 6.43m every year until 2022

The Lakers are paying luol deng 5m every year until 2022

The magic is paying timofey mozgov 5.57m every year until 2022

The pacers are paying months Ellis 2.25m every year until 2022

And yes. The Pistons are still paying Josh smith.
    none of these numbers come near 11 million, but at including that one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Weak middle school "everyone is doing it (but not really)" defense is weak. Even if that were true...I thought the Spurs were "different"? Guess not.
    Everybody is bad, but we are almost twice as bad as the next worse and 3-4 times as bad as most. There, now I feel better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    about 2 3rds of these players were never even signed by the team that’s paying them, they acquired them in trades to match salary and then bought them out. Spurs can’t even trade their garbage.

You also realize that those numbers are a lot less than 11 million US $ or is math not your strong suit?
    5.57 over 3 years is less than 11m? I mean is math YOUR strong suit homie?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Money well spent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5.57 over 3 years is less than 11m? I mean is math YOUR strong suit homie?
    11 mil is the amount we are eating for one season. thats 11 mil in cap space tossed away

this doesnt include however much we are paying carroll for the next 2 seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11 mil is the amount we are eating for one season. thats 11 mil in cap space tossed away

I mean we don't know what they're paying. It's also for two players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

thank you. The IQ of some people here can compete with a loaf of bread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cap space didn't really matter, considering the team was over the cap all year. Taking all of Pau's money in one year is fine. Stretching salary is not optional, so they are actually paying something like $8 Million this season. Depending on how much Carroll's buyout was, it likely won't be great, but it's weird that folks think it's worse than the Pistons giving Josh Smith $39 Million to not play for them. There's no mitigating how incompetent the Spurs look for the Carroll situation, but teams all over the league are carrying huge cap hits and bigger financial commitments to dead money. The Grizzlies are paying more than that just to Dion Waiters, and it's not clear that what they got in return justifies already committing to paying him the same next season to play somewhere else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6.65mm for Caroll NEXT year too us all
    Who cares really. It’s not like spurs are landing a huge free agent next summer anyway, nor is it the goal. Spurs are either tearing it down and being awful next year or reloading with the bunch (barf!) they have now and adding an MLE level dude.

2021 is another story

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they are gonna do that pls sign Isiah Thomas and Ish Smith to a 25m a year contract too.
    To be fair, Ish Smith always goes Michael Jordan against us. In that case, every mediocre player does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The suns are paying Kyle korver 3.44m(he never even played for them.)

OKC is paying Kyle singler 1m every year until 2023... And Patrick Patterson until 2021

The Timberwolves are paying Cole Aldrich every year 685k until 2021

The warriors are paying Shaun Livingston 666k every year until 2022

The wizards are paying Jonathon Simmons 1m this year despite never playing for them.

The bucks are paying Larry Sanders 1.87m every year until 2022 and Jon leuer 3.17m every year until 2022.

The Cavs are paying jr Smith 1.46m every year until 2022

The Celtics are paying Demetrius Jackson 92k every year until 2024

The heat is paying Ryan Anderson 5.21m every year until 2022

The Knicks are paying joakim Noah 6.43m every year until 2022

The Lakers are paying luol deng 5m every year until 2022

The magic is paying timofey mozgov 5.57m every year until 2022

The pacers are paying months Ellis 2.25m every year until 2022

And yes. The Pistons are still paying Josh smith.
    Many of those deals aren’t comparable. You are comparing the Spurs favorably to the Knicks and the deal to Noah. It was horrendous. If Spurs are at Knick levels then yeah sure. You are ok with that. Josh Smith? Detroit sucks right now and did when they waived Smith. Spurs are at that level? Then it’s ok. Several other franchises did deals absorbing other bad deals like the Mozgov one. They got some kind of compensation for taking on those deals. Others you cite are below min salary hits to the cap. That’s not the same.

None of this lessens the sting

it has only made me realize the Spurs FO is getting compared to the Knicks and Detroit. Hurrah!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do not forget the horrendous deal that was Chandler Parsons (with an entire year still left on it after the traded season) was traded for 2 players one of which is in the league still, helped through current season and was then traded for other assets. Eating up Gasol’s deal wasn’t necessary, he was one of Pop’s pets that’s all and only got waived bc he asked for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It goes beyond cap space, it’s also about opportunity cost and other avenues to improve the team, other players that could have been signed at the time or traded for tbh. If the only favorable comparisons are the Knicks, Detroit and the Cavs, well then by all means make up your excuses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap space didn't really matter, considering the team was over the cap all year. Taking all of Pau's money in one year is fine. Stretching salary is not optional, so they are actually paying something like $8 Million this season. Depending on how much Carroll's buyout was, it likely won't be great, but it's weird that folks think it's worse than the Pistons giving Josh Smith $39 Million to not play for them. There's no mitigating how incompetent the Spurs look for the Carroll situation, but teams all over the league are carrying huge cap hits and bigger financial commitments to dead money. The Grizzlies are paying more than that just to Dion Waiters, and it's not clear that what they got in return justifies already committing to paying him the same next season to play somewhere else.
    The Grizzlies took a gamble that Justise Winslow will pan out for them. Hopefully he does, but Waiters was the price of getting Winslow who is a need for them, young, and in the window of their core. For them it makes sense. They didn’t see a FA in the summer that they could add that would be a better fit for them.

Moreover their FO was open about it and came out and said so, explained the play they made and the risks they took. Is the Spurs FO giving any interviews to explain their gambles and their plays to their fans? NO. It’s just a mishmash of wrong turns at every step that only compounds on a prior mistake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Parsons trade was meh. I'm fine with the Spurs not just shuffling around. The mistake was not using Gasol's semi-expiring plus incentive for a legit player, not that they didn't move him for another terrible deal. The Grozzlies have a ton of dead money. And while you can argue that at least they're doing something that they'd be better off just letting their deals expire and just continue to sell cap space for picks. The first part of the Iggy trade was much better than the second part.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Parsons trade was meh. I'm fine with the Spurs not just shuffling around. The mistake was not using Gasol's semi-expiring plus incentive for a legit player, not that they didn't move him for another terrible deal. The Grozzlies have a ton of dead money. And while you can argue that at least they're doing something that they'd be better off just letting their deals expire and just continue to sell cap space for picks. The first part of the Iggy trade was much better than the second part.
    Parsons was virtually untradeablf. His deal was +9 million than Gasols (a whopping $25 mill) and he wasn’t available to play. Gasol may have been declining and past due date but until he broke his foot he was playable and able to help in some small role. Even after the foot, his remaining deal was smaller than Parsons. The point is that if you could trade the albatross that really was Parsons for something that wasn’t negative like paying picks to do that and instead flipping what you got for something they could have done better than swallow Gasol’a deal——- which was a bad deal to begin with.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 02-19-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bigger question I have is could the Spurs have gotten Morris for the full MLE if they hadn't rushed to sign Carroll, a player who is useful, but not one I'd say was in high demand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. SA had opportunities to “cash in” but refused to have a unified vision. They hoarded picks and youth instead of using those assets to get good players. If you have that mindset and those types of assets are that valuable then you should have used some of your assets to get more of those assets and they didn’t do that either.

Thread Information