Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We would have been worse than we are right now, but ppl would have been expecting it after trading off Russ and George...

We would have been complaining about how old and washed cp3 is... How Gallo plays zero defense (like we did with Bertans)...How Aquaman doesn't space the floor since he is an old school center... And how it would be a coaching feat for pop to even win 40 games with that roster...

I say all that to say Pop is washed as a coach... And maybe he has always been a bad coach, but his incompetence was masked by the greatness of the big 3... Have we ever won a playoff series as the underdog? But there are TONS of times we were the favorite and lost... Including at least once (I think twice... Mavs and Grizzlies) as the number 1 seed to an 8th seed... with a different coach, who knows? We may have threepeated... And won much more rings than we did...

I know it sounds silly since we won 5 rings... But if Pop was coaching those bill Russel Celtics, maybe bill Russel only ends up with 5, and while we would still think that's amazing, we would have been missing out on how great they could have been...

We can point out many bad coaching decisions he has had, but can't point out many that he was responsible for... A lot of the good coaching practices were attributed to the assistant coaches...

And I have to repeat... we have never won a playoff series as the underdog...and lost many times as the favorite...Let that sink in

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray goes off against Jazz...Win...All posts are how Murray is the next coming of Wilt...

Murray scores zero..loss..posts come again about how Pop is done

Yawn...it's early in the day, whatelse do we got? We all know Pop is old, and done.

L

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is clearly obvious right now that we have poor coaching, a bad roster and a bad FO. We still have fan support but I doubt that survives after a few more seasons of this.

We could easily bounce back if they let pop go, do a s/t with DDR, trade LMA, trade Mills/Gay, and let Forbes and Marco walk after the season. But I’m not optimistic that any of those things will happen.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If pop had that roster then SGA would still have "earn" minutes and be benched for every little thing he does wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's washed but he's an all-timer. 2000s and early 2010s pop was ruthless. benching tony for speedy claxton, trying to trade tony for j kidd etc

after 2014 he got soft and started falling in love with his players. we've been rotting for 6 years

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's washed but he's an all-timer. 2000s and early 2010s pop was ruthless. benching tony for speedy claxton, trying to trade tony for j kidd etc

after 2014 he got soft and started falling in love with his players. we've been rotting for 6 years
    I can agree with this. I think on this site people go too far to the extreme one way or the other. Pop is one of the best coaches I've ever seen however since that last les dude as become soft as . Pop is not as good as people make him out to be and he's not as bad people make him out to be. If he were to retire today that would be fine with me because I don't think his heart is in it. However people like the OP worry me because they act like the guy was never good which is false.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are so many more important things in life than basketball that Pop will easily walk away at the right time.

Oh wait...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popped said he had to "go talk to his Boss" in cutting the OKC post game q's short.

His boss? Or is this CIA Pop thinking he's giving a witty response again?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The plus side is we wouldn't have Forbes on our team so Pop wouldn't start him

It's fair to say that Pop has failed this year as a coach (and last year too in some aspects). But Pop was once a hardass who did whatever it took to win. he's made mistakes is nowhere near perfect and has cost us some series in my book, but at the end of the day he won a of a lot more than he lost for us and that's all I ask for from my coach. I mean year by year for the Spurs and I can't fault Pop for too many losses.

98 we lost to a better Jazz team.
    99 we won the le.
    00 we lost Duncan
    01 Lakers were amazing (we lost Anderson)
    02 Lakers were amazing
    03 won le
    04 Horry and Turk shriveled up like pussys in the PO as well as Fisher hitting a shot that literally wasn't legal to do at the time. Official rule said a player could catch and shoot in only.4 seconds but Fisher was allowed to TURN catch and shoot. Ridiculous ruling that Stern had no problem overturning to save the Lakers
    05 won le
    06 Manu's fault (though as far as I'm concerned only Pop and Tim can say anything to Manu about that since everyone else played like )
    07 won le
    08 Manu hurt
    09 Manu hurt again
    10 Pops fault for thinking Hill was any good but we were the inferior team
    11 Manu broke his arm and Duncan sprained his ankle the last game of the season. Fluke injury but you could put them on Pop. Also playing Dice and Bonner on Randolph/Gasol was beyond stupid. So I can blame Pop
    12 refs beat us
    13 So may people's fault that it's hard to put assign blame. Manu missed FT. Kawhi missed Ft. Danny strayed off of Ray Allen after given specific instructions not to leave his side and not to go for the rebound. Boris not boxing out. Pop benching Duncan. Joey Crawford not letting Manu and tony execute maybe the most memorable Finals play in NBA history which would've fixed everything. Manu grabbed the ball to inbound and Tony took off wide open for a lay up bc the entire Heat team was too busy celebrating, but Joey wouldn't let Manu inbound the ball and called for the play to be reviewed even though his counterpart was literally right next to Ray Allen looking at his feet and giving the signal that it was a 3. If you replay the game you can still hear on National TV mind you Pop cussing out Crawford telling him that he can't ing do that and calling him a mother er for refusing the Spurs to inbound the ball.
    14 won le
    15 Pop lost it for us by not countering literally the same move run y the Clippers 100 times a game the whole series, but Tony, Danny, and Kawhi all shrunk
    16 Refs screwed us out of 2 games. You can say Turd Towers for sure but end of the day Refs SCREWED us
    17 Kawhi got injured but Pop coached brilliantly
    18 lost to the better team
    19 Pop screwed us over by playing Forbes and Beli

By my count Pop has only lost us 3 series and was a part of us losing like 2 other times, but not the main reason we lost. Pretty damn good results tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can agree with this. I think on this site people go too far to the extreme one way or the other. Pop is one of the best coaches I've ever seen however since that last les dude as become soft as . Pop is not as good as people make him out to be and he's not as bad people make him out to be. If he were to retire today that would be fine with me because I don't think his heart is in it. However people like the OP worry me because they act like the guy was never good which is false.
    Tell me the great coaching runs and decisions he had? We on like Walton for going 73-9 9n a team and say anyone could have coached them, but ignore we had 3 hall of famers and the greatest PF of all time and underperformed in the playoffs numerous times...and almost all those times were because of coaching decisions...I can't think of one coaching decision that won us a series outside of the obvious "play Tim Duncan"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's fair to say that Pop has failed this year as a coach (and last year too in some aspects). But Pop was once a hardass who did whatever it took to win. he's made mistakes is nowhere near perfect and has cost us some series in my book, but at the end of the day he won a of a lot more than he lost for us and that's all I ask for from my coach. I mean year by year for the Spurs and I can't fault Pop for too many losses.

99 we won the le.
    00 we lost Duncan
    02 Lakers were amazing
    03 won le
    04 Horry and Turk shriveled up like pussys in the PO as well as Fisher hitting a shot that literally wasn't legal to do at the time. Official rule said a player could catch and shoot in only.4 seconds but Fisher was allowed to TURN catch and shoot. Ridiculous ruling that Stern had no problem overturning to save the Lakers
    05 won le
    06 Manu's fault (though as far as I'm concerned only Pop and Tim can say anything to Manu about that since everyone else played like )
    07 won le
    08 Manu hurt
    09 Manu hurt again
    11 Manu broke his arm and Duncan sprained his ankle the last game of the season. Fluke injury but you could put them on Pop. Also playing Dice and Bonner on Randolph/Gasol was beyond stupid. So I can blame Pop
    12 refs beat us
    13 So may people's fault that it's hard to put assign blame. Manu missed FT. Kawhi missed Ft. Danny strayed off of Ray Allen after given specific instructions not to leave his side and not to go for the rebound. Boris not boxing out. Pop benching Duncan. Joey Crawford not letting Manu and tony execute maybe the most memorable Finals play in NBA history which would've fixed everything. Manu grabbed the ball to inbound and Tony took off wide open for a lay up bc the entire Heat team was too busy celebrating, but Joey wouldn't let Manu inbound the ball and called for the play to be reviewed even though his counterpart was literally right next to Ray Allen looking at his feet and giving the signal that it was a 3. If you replay the game you can still hear on National TV mind you Pop cussing out Crawford telling him that he can't ing do that and calling him a mother er for refusing the Spurs to inbound the ball.
    14 won le
    15 Pop lost it for us by not countering literally the same move run y the Clippers 100 times a game the whole series, but Tony, Danny, and Kawhi all shrunk
    16 Refs screwed us out of 2 games. You can say Turd Towers for sure but end of the day Refs SCREWED us

By my count Pop has only lost us 3 series and was a part of us losing like 2 other times, but not the main reason we lost. Pretty damn good results tbh
    We couldn't beat the ass grizzlies and Mavs as the 1 seed because Manu had a boo boo? Gtfoh...pop was outcoached

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He never won a series vs a better team... That should speak for itself... Every series won was won as the favorite... And lost multiple series as the overwhelming favorite

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tell me the great coaching runs and decisions he had? We on like Walton for going 73-9 9n a team and say anyone could have coached them, but ignore we had 3 hall of famers and the greatest PF of all time and underperformed in the playoffs numerous times...and almost all those times were because of coaching decisions...I can't think of one coaching decision that won us a series outside of the obvious "play Tim Duncan"
    This is too easy but off the top of my head I would say not playing Duncan and Spitter together against OKC. starting Diaw/Bonner to space the floor and draw Serge IBaka away from the basket is the main reason why we won that series.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He never won a series vs a better team... That should speak for itself... Every series won was won as the favorite... And lost multiple series as the overwhelming favorite
    All you do is spew bull because in 2010 that 2nd seeded Mavs team was the favorite and the Spurs beat them easily.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We couldn't beat the ass grizzlies and Mavs as the 1 seed because Manu had a boo boo? Gtfoh...pop was outcoached
    I blamed Pop for 2011.

In 06 those ty ass Mavs had the exact same record as us which was tied for best in the league. I don't understand your comment. Unless you mean 2009 when we were the 3rd seed and lost to the 6th seed Mavs. But Manu was clearly our best player that year and he was out of the playoffs. When a team loses their best player it isn't that unreasonable for them to lose. Duncan and Parker had no help that year as well as Mason Jr shot something like 12% from 3 that series after leading the league in 3 point % that year in the regular season. I'm not exactly sure what coaching Pop could've done to change the result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thunder a better team without Westbrook.

<-------- This guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

99 we won the le.
    00 we lost Duncan
    02 Lakers were amazing
    03 won le
    05 won le
    07 won le
    08 Manu hurt
    09 Manu hurt again
    12 refs beat us
    14 won le

you're one of the best posters on this site. Pretty much agree with all of this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's such a stupid take. Lakers were always the favorites, even when we beat them. Heat were always the favorite as well. Spurs won a lot of series being the underdog

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's such a stupid take. Lakers were always the favorites, even when we beat them. Heat were always the favorite as well. Spurs won a lot of series being the underdog
    He's weird all his pop hate centers around Kawhi. I don't know if realizes how sick it makes him look but when you call him on it all he will say "Is you guys just don't like me"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blamed Pop for 2011.

In 06 those ty ass Mavs had the exact same record as us which was tied for best in the league. I don't understand your comment. Unless you mean 2009 when we were the 3rd seed and lost to the 6th seed Mavs. But Manu was clearly our best player that year and he was out of the playoffs. When a team loses their best player it isn't that unreasonable for them to lose. Duncan and Parker had no help that year as well as Mason Jr shot something like 12% from 3 that series after leading the league in 3 point % that year in the regular season. I'm not exactly sure what coaching Pop could've done to change the result.
    I liked your annual assessment. duncan2k5 is just a clueless dumbass. I remember those seasons when Manu was hurt, and the entire complexity of the team changed when he went down.

You have to be pretty damn charmed to win a le, much less 5. I've been pissed at Pop's lethargy this season, but he's cemented his legacy. No other coach will achieve what he has in a small market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All you do is spew bull because in 2010 that 2nd seeded Mavs team was the favorite and the Spurs beat them easily.
    LMFAO! The ONE time he upset a better team vs all the times he lost as the favorite? GTFOH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No...we were the favorites...we had homecourt vs both

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked your annual assessment. duncan2k5 is just a clueless dumbass. I remember those seasons when Manu was hurt, and the entire complexity of the team changed when he went down.

You have to be pretty damn charmed to win a le, much less 5. I've been pissed at Pop's lethargy this season, but he's cemented his legacy. No other coach will achieve what he has in a small market.
    U keep harping on the fact that he won 5...that's not an accomplishment I'm giving u props for with a team that should have won ten

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're one of the best posters on this site. Pretty much agree with all of this.
    How does that refute what I said...he pointed out multiple seasons where pop didn't win...Lakers being amazing isn't an excuse...good teams get upset by other good teams all the time due to coaching...

Thread Information