Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to admire the way day traders can jerk the market around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im guessing a rally in the early part of the day-

and a yuuuge crash over 1,200 by closing/weekend panic

or more
    eyup. fall due to yesterdays continued momentum, then leveling off. then when people check their portfolios after lunch... plummet more? that seems to be the pattern.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to admire the way day traders can jerk the market around.
    Volume is too heavy for day traders. This is big ins utional funds re-aligning their portfolios to park their cash in bonds and wait out the slowdown in something less risky.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Algorithmic trading is going wild. This is how you get the fastest market correction is history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need to start getting commision tbqh

prediction for tomorrow: another bloodbath as investors will try to get ahead of weekend which will bring much more bad news.

called it

wall streeet will probably shut down at some point tomorrow
    didnt call it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im guessing a rally in the early part of the day-

and a yuuuge crash over 1,200 by closing/weekend panic

or more
    I was really surprised the day ended a bit better than expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its the gamblers

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup

rally for the closing- could have been really worse

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is big ins utional funds re-aligning their portfolios to park their cash in bonds and wait out the slowdown in something less risky.
    lol no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (shrugs) just going by what I heard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (shrugs) just going by what I heard.
    Ins utional funds don't operate like that. They may be scaling out of positions taking profit and scaling back into the same positions for future growth but they aren't jumping from equities to bonds based on short term price action. Their concern is long term performance against whatever index they are compared to.

I already told you, it's margin calls. That's hedge funds.

and then you have market makers who are just loving this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My T.Rowe Price account didn't take too much of a hit. Good manager, I suppose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ins utional funds don't operate like that. They may be scaling out of positions taking profit and scaling back into the same positions for future growth but they aren't jumping from equities to bonds based on short term price action. Their concern is long term performance against whatever index they are compared to.

I already told you, it's margin calls. That's hedge funds.
    Noted, and thanks. Been busy in the last year, so have tuned out of a lot of news.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -3500, definitely passed 1989's Black Friday

Next target, Lehman Bros / Banksters Great Depression, Oct 2008

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -3500, definitely passed 1989's Black Friday

Next target, Lehman Bros / Banksters Great Depression, Oct 2008

Back in 87, a 500 point drop was 22% of the market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Monday_(1987)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Noted, and thanks. Been busy in the last year, so have tuned out of a lot of news.
    I forgot to also mention giant investment companies like Goldman, Carlyle, etc. They are just fine selling to kill prices because they short all of their positions anyways. They'll make money going down and then take the ride back up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back in 87, a 500 point drop was 22% of the market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Monday_(1987)
    Media's favorite way of making it sound more dramatic is "largest point decline". Dumbass Boo falls for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    current drop is about, approaching 15%

any guesses how far it will fall?

Trash and his mafiya are all on message that it's all the Dem's fault. 15% in stock market drop isn't nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-28-2020 at 07:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Media's favorite way of making it sound more dramatic is "largest point decline". Dumbass Boo falls for it.
    same way Trumpettes would furiously masturbate every time trump tweeted about record daily point gains

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My T.Rowe Price account didn't take too much of a hit. Good manager, I suppose.
    no manager can avoid losses - or guess where he can NOT lose -

only thing that mitigates losses is to have a diversified portfolio and just buckle up and go for the long haul -

anyone who tells you they can "play" the market and win more than another person or manager - is a con man -
    but you support a con man - so you might have just been conned today

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no manager can avoid losses - or guess where he can NOT lose -

only thing that mitigates losses is to have a diversified portfolio and just buckle up and go for the long haul -

anyone who tells you they can "play" the market and win more than another person or manager - is a con man -
    but you support a con man - so you might have just been conned today
    Larry Puglia is manager of T. Rowe bluechip growth fund (TRBCX). He has consistently beat the market for 27 years running. There are other manager's that have done the same but they are few. In general you are correct, most fund managers consistently fail to beat an index fund.

Full disclosure, I've been buying TRBCX monthly for over a decade so I'm a bit biased. Larry's been good to me.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Larry Puglia is manager of T. Rowe bluechip growth fund (TRBCX). He has consistently beat the market for 27 years running. There are other manager's that have done the same but they are few. In general you are correct, most fund managers consistently fail to beat an index fund.

Full disclosure, I've been buying TRBCX monthly for over a decade so I'm a bit biased. Larry's been good to me.

Maybe "beat the market" means something different to you - as it does to me?

What I mean - is that no one can guess what the market is going to do and avoid losses - because Darrin was saying he didn't do too badly today (-350 points) - because (he implied) he has a good manager.

My response is - "only by having a diversified portfolio and staying put for the long haul" can anyone "beat the market."

So I am guessing - your guy you just mentioned - does this exactly -
    he manages diversified portfolios of domestic and international funds and by being vastly diversified - he wins some and loses some - and over time -

he ends up appreciating his assets by doing just that.

But he isn't beating the market or figuring out what no one else has figured out.

No one is beating the market IMO - but plenty have responsibly managed portfolios which have increased over the last decades of stock market trends.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe "beat the market" means something different to you - as it does to me?

What I mean - is that no one can guess what the market is going to do and avoid losses - because Darrin was saying he didn't do too badly today (-350 points) - because (he implied) he has a good manager.

My response is - "only by having a diversified portfolio and staying put for the long haul" can anyone "beat the market."

So I am guessing - your guy you just mentioned - does this exactly -
    he manages diversified portfolios of domestic and international funds and by being vastly diversified - he wins some and loses some - and over time -

he ends up appreciating his assets by doing just that.

But he isn't beating the market or figuring out what no one else has figured out.

No one is beating the market IMO - but plenty have responsibly managed portfolios which have increased over the last decades of stock market trends.
    Beating the market means making more in good times and losing less in bad times than the market. To be technically correct regarding funds it would be beating the index (not the market).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I used to be heavily invested in that fund, but since I'm getting older, I switched to one that's a big less aggressive. I can't remember the name of it, but it's based on a year range when you expect to retire, so it's something like 2035 Fund. And it's supposed to taper allocation to stocks as you approach retirement.

Thread Information