Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So in 2017 the Spurs extended the fox/Sinclair offer four more years. That was when we were good lol, surely the Spurs won't seek to end the Sinclair contract until they have to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox sports picked the right time for this. Can you imagine like this happening during the Duncan dynasty??
    The Duncan Dynasty is really the best term.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not directly an NBA issue. Sinclair is apparently demanding quite a bit more money than Fox was and the carriers had to drop the channels after their previous contracts ended.

LOL. "Sinclair be da debil".

League revenues are up what... almost 250% in eight years? Sooner or later, somebody has to pay for that. But let's single Sinclair out because, you know, reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

League revenues are up what... almost 250% in eight years? Sooner or later, somebody has to pay for that. But let's single Sinclair out because, you know, reasons.

What do league revenues have to do with how much Sinclair charges carriers like YouTube TV? There's a reason almost no one is carrying their service right now. The NBA is only a fraction of their total package anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not directly an NBA issue. Sinclair is apparently demanding quite a bit more money than Fox was and the carriers had to drop the channels after their previous contracts ended.
    It is as long as the NBA has stupid blackout rules on their League Pass though. They force you to go through a middle man to get their product if you're in the SA market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox sports picked the right time for this. Can you imagine like this happening during the Duncan dynasty??
    You understand that it's not just FSSW, right? It's ALL of their regional channels.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm singling out Sinclair because they own the regional Fox Sports networks. Are you blaming the NHL and MLB too? Sinclair is working under the contracts Fox had made with NBA teams, so it's not like their costs suddenly skyrocketed. Their debt did go up to buy the networks for ~$10 billion.
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 02-28-2020 at 05:17 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is as long as the NBA has stupid blackout rules on their League Pass though. They force you to go through a middle man to get their product if you're in the SA market.
    And? It's not like the NBA is producing coverage of those games. I don't know if Sinclair is being unreasonable; I only know everyone dropped them after they took over ownership.
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 02-28-2020 at 05:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And? It's not like the NBA is producing coverage of those games. I don't know if Sinclair is being unreasonable; I only know everyone dropped them after they took over ownership.
    And the NBA is forcing the main consumers to a company that has practices so they share in part of the blame. The NBA is producing coverage of those games, what are you talking about? They license the coverage out to specific carriers, but they retain the right to it. They choose to make it so you have to go through Sinclair to get the game unless you live outside of a market but it doesn't belong to Sinclair. Its an NBA property at all times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FYI it seems as though YoutubeTV came to a temporary extension so hopefully they won't be gone tomorrow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeamYouTu...78974443339776

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect them to make a deal soon.. Google has to know they are going to have a ton of sports fans looking to catch games and you have to assume they don't want everyone running to Hulu or AT&T for streaming Fox regionals..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the NBA is forcing the main consumers to a company that has practices so they share in part of the blame. The NBA is producing coverage of those games, what are you talking about? They license the coverage out to specific carriers, but they retain the right to it. They choose to make it so you have to go through Sinclair to get the game unless you live outside of a market but it doesn't belong to Sinclair. Its an NBA property at all times.
    Of course it's an NBA property at all times. I'm not sure how you knew Sinclair's practices with streaming companies would be before they bought the networks, but OK.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it's an NBA property at all times. I'm not sure how you knew Sinclair's practices with streaming companies would be before they bought the networks, but OK.
    It doesn't matter if they knew before, the NBA has pushed us into an out dated distribution system with their practices so of course they share part of the blame. Not sure why this is such a hard point for you to grasp but whatever.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    It's going to get ugly for people streaming in the next 10 years, no longer will most stuff be free, it's going to get worse as more and more people cut the cord. I stream but I mainly look for highlights of basketball games and I have the NBA tv app. Keep all your physical movies, sports, games and music. Love how simple it is to just pop in a disc or whatever instead of dealing with like 20 streaming services to find something to watch.
    Last edited by Chillen; 02-29-2020 at 02:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FYI it seems as though YoutubeTV came to a temporary extension so hopefully they won't be gone tomorrow.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeamYouTu...78974443339776
    yeah. A lot of us cried to DISH about not carrying the Fox Sports regional channels for months and they haven't done about it. Glad YouTubeTV listens to its customers. This makes me like them even more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't matter if they knew before, the NBA has pushed us into an out dated distribution system with their practices so of course they share part of the blame. Not sure why this is such a hard point for you to grasp but whatever.
    nobody ed about distribution until most of the streaming services dropped the Sinclair-owned networks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do league revenues have to do with how much Sinclair charges carriers like YouTube TV? There's a reason almost no one is carrying their service right now. The NBA is only a fraction of their total package anyway.

LOL. Don't worry - Tio Bernie is gonna give you the NBA for free. And he's gonna shut Sinclair down cus they're fascist. I read it on the internet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm singling out Sinclair because they own the regional Fox Sports networks. Are you blaming the NHL and MLB too? Sinclair is working under the contracts Fox had made with NBA teams, so it's not like their costs suddenly skyrocketed. Their debt did go up to buy the networks for ~$10 billion.

I'm not griping about anything. I just said that every time the NBA's revenues go up, somebody is going to pay for it. Sooner or later, a portion of it (at least) gets passed along to the fans. Can't happen any other way.

Sinclair doesn't get to raise their distro rates in the middle of a contract. But if they have to pay more for rights, that's going to get passed on to streamers like YouTube when the next contract gets negotiated. They paid something close to double to the Cubs for rights to those games. People are ing about Sinclair asking for more, but somehow they don't notice that a lot of the increase has already gone to the club?

And for the record, they're demonizing Sinclair because they tend toward conservative politics. Google it, and you'll find a few hundred hits before you get sick of looking. Sinclair be da debil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sinclair doesn't get to raise their distro rates in the middle of a contract.
    The middle of whose contract?

All anyone can say is Fox ownership, no blackouts. Sinclair ownership, blackouts. Both are politically conservative, so that can be dropped.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See.. this is why I've never jumped on the trend of killing cable. Live sports. From NFL, college, to spurs games, you have to buy a hodge podge of services to ensure you might have a chance to view it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See.. this is why I've never jumped on the trend of killing cable. Live sports. From NFL, college, to spurs games, you have to buy a hodge podge of services to ensure you might have a chance to view it.
    Not really. Until this recent Fox Sports issue, YouTubeTV was great with live sports. I'm guessing the other streaming services are just as good.

It's also not like this Fox Sports issue is exclusive to streaming services. Sinclair is playing hardball with even the big cable/satellite companies. DISH lost Fox Sports before the NBA season even began. It's some of the other random channels you have to worry about. The gf loves MTV for example, and YouTubeTV doesn't have it.

No contracts and the streaming makes it super easy to switch between streaming services too. No installation/returning of equipment and no fees to get out of a contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's not to like about YouTubeTV? DISH has sat on their ass without the Fox Sports regional channels for almost a year. They lost HBO before that and never got it back. YouTubeTV saw their customers' reactions after announcing they were losing FSSW and immediately did something about it.

This has earned them a bunch of loyalty points from me, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Youtube tv is great

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Youtube tv is great
    I'm thinking about making that switch, my cable bill is insane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking about making that switch, my cable bill is insane.
    I have Google Fiber internet and YouTube TV and its great. Don’t miss cable at all and way better watching on the road capabilities.

Thread Information