means we gotta get used to this

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Wow. Hard to believe color commentators are really that tough to come by

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    Booger be a quota based hiring. Usually does not work out to not take the most qualified candidate.
    OTOH have you seen how mangled his fingers are? My goodness it’s mean at the point of attack.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Wow. Hard to believe color commentators are really that tough to come by
    Moose (Daryl Johnston)
    Goose (Tony Siragusa, but FOX fired him because he liked to look at women changing too much)
    Collinsworth
    Romo (duh)

are the best ones in the industry by far, everyone else is a tier below or flat out sucky. Troy Aikman is just mediocre/robotic. He's the announcer version of Jason Garrett imo. Charles Davis is the same way, and he actually manages to be worse in person than in Madden.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Romo is the best easy. He's worth every penny to CBS.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    agreed.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    he's worth top of the line edge rusher, wide receiver, left tackle, or cornerback money to be a ..............color commentator?

lol

If this is the new going rate for announcers, the more intelligent players are going to start retiring around 30 to save their body

Greg Olsen already has a few years of (good) experience as a color guy with FOX so he absolutely should not play another down.

Jason Witten on the other hand knew he wasn't that good at it so he went back onto the field with the intent of going into coaching. But assistant coaching doesn't pay nearly that much.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    he's worth top of the line edge rusher, wide receiver, left tackle, or cornerback money to be a ..............color commentator?

lol

If this is the new going rate for announcers, the more intelligent players are going to start retiring around 30 to save their body

Greg Olsen already has a few years of (good) experience as a color guy with FOX so he absolutely should not play another down.
    'Cept only so many of those jobs available.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    'Cept only so many of those jobs available.
    If I'm Collinsworth I'm holding out effective tomorrow until I get a new contract worth at least Romo money or greater.

Wikipedia:

How much does Chris Collinsworth get paid?
    According to the website Celebrity Net Worth, Collinsworth's estimated net worth is $12 million. As a former professional football player, his salary as NFL announcer is said to be more than $1 million; Celebrity Net Worth pegs it at $2 million.

That's highway robbery tbh.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    If I'm Collinsworth I'm holding out effective tomorrow until I get a new contract worth at least Romo money or greater.

Wikipedia:

How much does Chris Collinsworth get paid?
    According to the website Celebrity Net Worth, Collinsworth's estimated net worth is $12 million. As a former professional football player, his salary as NFL announcer is said to be more than $1 million; Celebrity Net Worth pegs it at $2 million.

That's highway robbery tbh.

I dunno about the same money; but he should insist on a raise.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I dunno about the same money; but he should insist on a raise.
    Collinsworth has been the best in the NFL for a very long time up until Romo changed careers. Plus, he played for the lowly Cincinnati Bungles as a WR in the 1980s, a franchise notorious for penny-pinching in a much different/worse era for player salaries.

Collinsworth should be the highest paid at his "position".

Then you have Aikman is just ok at his job IMO and is pretty much the Jason Garrett of robotic color commentators. "You know, that's a good call, Joe"... he's better than Phil Simms but he's not the best color commentator on FOX, that would be Moose (Daryl Johnston, his former teammate). Also, Aikman was paid QB money in the 1990s, which wasn't what it is now but it wasn't bad.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Collinsworth has been the best in the NFL for a very long time up until Romo changed careers. Plus, he played for the lowly Cincinnati Bungles as a WR in the 1980s, a franchise notorious for penny-pinching in a much different/worse era for player salaries.

Collinsworth should be the highest paid at his "position".

Then you have Aikman is just ok at his job IMO and is pretty much the Jason Garrett of robotic color commentators. "You know, that's a good call, Joe"... he's better than Phil Simms but he's not the best color commentator on FOX, that would be Moose (Daryl Johnston, his former teammate). Also, Aikman was paid QB money in the 1990s, which wasn't what it is now but it wasn't bad.
    Romo more liked, bro. And Bengals has nothing to do with it.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Romo more liked, bro. And Bengals has nothing to do with it.
    Romo was a polarizing enigma/laughingstock as a player who did "just enough, but not enough" and mostly had 8-8 or similar seasons while passing for tons of yards and having a relatively short career because he was called up late and retired a little early.

But his second career is already way more successful and yes, he's extremely popular. But don't sell Collinsworth short; the NBC telecast with him and Al Michaels is the best in the NFL. I do think CBS should get a better 1A than Nantz, he's just too boring, in the Phil Simms mold.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    romo stepped in and was the best color commentator in the industry from day 1. i still remember the first regular season game he ever called was raiders/ ans and i was convinced of this by the second quarter. he's intelligent, articulate, funny, charismatic... and picks his spots well

collinsworth is fine, but he's nowhere near romo. certainly not with the entertainment factor. gruden was entertaining and was pretty good with the x's and o's... but romo is much more well spoken

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    romo stepped in and was the best color commentator in the industry from day 1. i still remember the first regular season game he ever called was raiders/ ans and i was convinced of this by the second quarter. he's intelligent, articulate, funny, charismatic... and picks his spots well

collinsworth is fine, but he's nowhere near romo. certainly not with the entertainment factor. gruden was entertaining and was pretty good with the x's and o's... but romo is much more well spoken
    gruden was meh, but it was watchable with mike tirico... then ESPN MNF was completely unwatchable with the replacement college guy in 2016 and 2017... then became slightly watchable again but kind of a joke when they installed tessitore/witten/boogermobile tbh.

Collinsworth is pretty awesome. He does get a little too excited about plays and players sometimes, but at least he's not a robot like Aikman. But he has great insights and he's always spot on with time management/situational stuff and Romo is not. Collinsworth is also fun TV with his random "wow!!" on a great play or "whoop!" on a fumble or "look out!" on a pass rush or a near interception.

Romo is dead wrong more often than not when it comes to late half/late game timeout management, maybe he gets that from his boys Garrett and Jerruh though. Romo is great at predicting offensive playcalls, he's funny and charming, and he's slightly unpredictable which is a good thing. Aikman is as predictable as a robot or a Madden video game commentator.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Collinsworth is terrible.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Collinsworth is terrible.
    huh?

you must be thinking of Phil Simms

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    huh?

you must be thinking of Phil Simms
    Been listening to his boring takes since before you were born. He sucks.

Moving MNF to ESPN was maybe their biggest mistake. Like, you have the most popular show in the country in the NFL, and you have it stashed away on channel 200 whatever. They ing suck so bad and deserve the ed commentators that they get.

And they wonder why they get ass games that nobody wants to watch with no flex options....like seriously, how did the NFL even allow that to happen?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    ESPN wants to trade for Al Michaels and team him with Peyton Manning.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/espn-p...eyton-manning/

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

Ugh, don't we have to hear him enough just in commercials?

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Al Michaels is better than having to do the 80% of matchups on MNF every season. If he goes to MNF, then they better get SNF type matchups moving forward.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

Apparently he requested to be traded to NBC in 05 because ESPN said the crew they had waiting in the wings was just as good as him and Madden

Veteran
    Post Count
    LOL, Chris Collinsworth is rotten. Easily the football equivalent of Bill Walton's dumbass behind the mic.

He's definitely a reason I dont watch football live.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    so if Al Michaels goes to ESPN MNF, then Tirico would be the SNF play by play guy?

Thread Information