Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    That’s because there’s more and more passing so your linebackers are spending more time in coverage and less time trying to shed blocks, plug gaps or tackle 240 pound running backs, which is different than what this conversation is about. It’s not easy to simply “avoid the block” when you’re trying to tackle in a tight space simply by being faster, which is why linebackers still play. A 220 pound safety trying to avoid getting blocked by Gronk is going to end up getting pancaked.

Everyone is in agreement though that the tackle machine linebacker with mediocre athleticism (Zac Thomas, Takeo es, etc) is a thing of the past, but you still need to have some size at the linebacker position for between the tackle running.
    Hightower, Collins, Bentley et al

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    not to mention the screen game... linemen and tight ends get involved there too, and you need guys strong enough to stack and shed to make a play on the ball carrier. you cant have a CB trying to get around a releasing tackle. gonna get blown up. outside of the best safeties, DBs are not usually going to bring down the better running backs with a solo tackle
    but you need guys fast enough to get there too, which is how teams started exposing the patriots on early downs because their big tackle machine, block shedding LBs aren't agile enough to get out there in time.

Ideally you have a team full of Derwin James and Malcolm Jenkins type of guys (Kam Chancellor was a beast in his prime), but most of the time you don't

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    but you need guys fast enough to get there too, which is how teams started exposing the patriots on early downs because their big tackle machine, block shedding LBs aren't agile enough to get out there in time.

Ideally you have a team full of Derwin James and Malcolm Jenkins type of guys (Kam Chancellor was a beast in his prime), but most of the time you don't
    yeah derwin james is a monster

isaiah simmons could very well become the best defensive weapon in the league. interested to see where he lands in the draft. simmons falling is the only reason i could imagine the raiders not going WR at 12, though i find that to be next to impossible

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Your obsession with the Patriots is unhealthy. Since they don’t have Brady anymore can you find another team to use in your re ed comparisons?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Your obsession with the Patriots is unhealthy. Since they don’t have Brady anymore can you find another team to use in your re ed comparisons?
    I'm just stating facts. Who other than Belichick keeps around that many hulking linebackers these days?

I'm actually rooting for the Bucs next year, tbh. That is if the Cowboys don't win (lol Dak, but I do like McCarthy over Garrett).

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    yeah derwin james is a monster

isaiah simmons could very well become the best defensive weapon in the league. interested to see where he lands in the draft. simmons falling is the only reason i could imagine the raiders not going WR at 12, though i find that to be next to impossible
    I wouldn't mind the Cowboys getting him if he falls like Derwin James fell. Would look great in the revamped defensive backfield next to Haha Clinton s now that we exported the worst starting safety in the league (and basically Garrett's version of Bonner to Popovich) to your Raiders.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I'm just stating facts. Who other than Belichick keeps around that many hulking linebackers these days?

I'm actually rooting for the Bucs next year, tbh. That is if the Cowboys don't win (lol Dak, but I do like McCarthy over Garrett).
    Belichick places an unusually high amount of emphasis on setting the edge which is why he keeps them around. Collins is also more versatile than your typical run stuffing LB, he’s athletic enough to cover in the flat and is a great blitzer. Hightower is also not a complete liability in coverage. He’s not great but he can survives

It’s the AJ Hawks of the world that can’t even cover in the flat who have no future.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Belichick places an unusually high amount of emphasis on setting the edge which is why he keeps them around. Collins is also more versatile than your typical run stuffing LB, he’s athletic enough to cover in the flat and is a great blitzer. Hightower is also not a complete liability in coverage. He’s not great but he can survives

It’s the AJ Hawks of the world that can’t even cover in the flat who have no future.
    yeah some of the unathletic guys at least have high enough football IQ where they can at least position themselves ideally, read plays to get there. hightower is one of them. burfict was somewhat the same way. wasn't very fast but was never a liability in coverage

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

I think Belichick will pull a Jason Garrett next year and the Patriots will go 8-8 or 9-7 with whatever QB they have and that will take them of course out of the T-Law sweepstakes.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

yeah some of the unathletic guys at least have high enough football IQ where they can at least position themselves ideally, read plays to get there. hightower is one of them. burfict was somewhat the same way. wasn't very fast but was never a liability in coverage
    Yeah that's an excellent point on Burfict, but sometimes him being a step behind meant either a dirty hit or no hit, which got him basically kicked out of the league.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Yeah that's an excellent point on Burfict, but sometimes him being a step behind meant either a dirty hit or no hit, which got him basically kicked out of the league.
    but those types of players are exceedingly rare. the best linebackers are the mobile ones like bobby wagner, deion jones, luke kuehcly (retired)... its why the cowboys have been good with sean lee, jaylon smith, LVE

its why the raiders just spent a pretty penny on cory littleton

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    tbh on any other team Hightower would be a huge liability, but Belichick knows how to avoid putting him in bad spots and allow him to be a high IQ playmaker.

Still amazes me that all the Rams had to do was get Hightower trapped in matchups vs Gurley and they would have racked up 30+ pts, but they only even attempted it like twice

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    tbh on any other team Hightower would be a huge liability, but Belichick knows how to avoid putting him in bad spots and allow him to be a high IQ playmaker.

Still amazes me that all the Rams had to do was get Hightower trapped in matchups vs Gurley and they would have racked up 30+ pts, but they only even attempted it like twice
    Gurley was medically compromised by that point and CJ Anderson is probably slower than Hightower.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    Gurley was medically compromised by that point and CJ Anderson is probably slower than Hightower.
    Gurley showed enough speed and explosion in that game to think that even in limited snaps, he could have devastated the Pats defense. Young Genius McVay completely botched the snaps that he gave Gurley.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Gurley showed enough speed and explosion in that game to think that even in limited snaps, he could have devastated the Pats defense. Young Genius McVay completely botched the snaps that he gave Gurley.
    McGay botched the game away completely, which was inexcusable especially given how Doug Pederson tore that defense a new one just the previous year.

Goff was pretty bad too, but the Rams had tons of chances and they didn't need to score a ton of points to win that game, and they somehow blew it.

McGay called way too many of his usual zone beater plays instead of the crossing, dragging, and outside comeback/deep-nine routes that the Eagles had thrived upon the previous SB. The Rams struggled against man coverage all year (see the Packers game they won by the skin of their teeth midseason)... and it just so happens Belichick loves to play more man, and man-blitz than any other team in football.

I blame that game on McGay for never being able to solve man coverage and blitzes all of 2018, and teams figured that out in 2019 and thus the Rams decline happened.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    tbh you are implying it
    tbf, the “run stuffing” interior linebackers like Brandon es who can’t cover running backs in the flat are going fully extinct, but to think linebackers will be phased out completely is just ridiculous and definitely something that a guy from Argentina would come up with.
    I'll get to you in a couple of years when teams field one super athletic token LB and nothing else. It won't be the first nor the last ocassion time has proven me to be right, tbh. This feels like going back to '09 when I signed to ST and I had to argue with folks about who was better between Manu and Joe Johnson. " Johnson averages 25 ppg, he's clearly better "
    Last edited by DAF86; 03-20-2020 at 10:40 PM.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    I'll get to you in a couple of years when teams field one super athletic token LB and nothing else. It won't be the first nor the last ocassion time has proven me to be right, tbh. This feels like going back to '09 when I signed to ST and I had to argue with folks about who was better between Manu and Joe Johnson. " Johnson averages 25 ppg, he's clearly better "
    Yeah, and this isn’t basketball, where the 3 point line is the ultimate equalizer.

If you think 190 lb defensive backs are ever going to consistently take down 230 lb running backs, you’re a ing re .

The only way your prediction becomes a reality is if the NFL becomes flag football.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    tbh you are implying it
    Yeah, and this isn’t basketball, where the 3 point line is the ultimate equalizer.

If you think 190 lb defensive backs are ever going to consistently take down 230 lb running backs, you’re a ing re .

The only way your prediction becomes a reality is if the NFL becomes flag football.
    It doesn't matter. You run the ball, I will pass it; and let's see who wins. Like I said, I'll get to you in a couple of years.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    It doesn't matter. You run the ball, I will pass it; and let's see who wins. Like I said, I'll get to you in a couple of years.
    A power running game exploiting smaller DB/LB hybrids just won the Super Bowl a year ago

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    A power running game exploiting smaller DB/LB hybrids just won the Super Bowl a year ago
    By scoring 13 pts? Wow, what dominance

Put Mahomes on the other side and you lose by 20.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    By scoring 13 pts? Wow, what dominance

Put Mahomes on the other side and you lose by 20.
    That happened two weeks earlier. Spoiler alert: they beat Mahomes too.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    @ moving the goalposts. “They didn’t dominate while winning, doesn’t count!”

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    "hey i've been right before. that means you should listen to me here"

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    That happened two weeks earlier. Spoiler alert: they beat Mahomes too.
    They beat him by "power running" or by throwing for 350 yards?

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    and it won with a ty running back who isn’t elite at anything. Just imagine that offense with a prime Adrian Peterson instead.

Thread Information