Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Up to this point Belgium was going strong, 4 years earlier they defeated Argentina 1:0 in the opening game of España 82.

Never thought it would come the time when someone that didn’t win something really outstanding, like Messi, would be considered better. Barcelona always has the best players in la liga and most of the time in Europe, they would have some silverware with or without Messi.

Maradona played various good games at World Cups. Versus Hungary in 82, vs England and Germany in 86, vs Brazil and Italy in 90, that time playing with a bad ankle, like attacking midfield and not as forward.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    GOAT doing GOAT things

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Diego was great, tbh, but to be fair he was playing Belgium...

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Up to this point Belgium was going strong, 4 years earlier they defeated Argentina 1:0 in the opening game of España 82.

Never thought it would come the time when someone that didn’t win something really outstanding, like Messi, would be considered better. Barcelona always has the best players in la liga and most of the time in Europe, they would have some silverware with or without Messi.

Maradona played various good games at World Cups. Versus Hungary in 82, vs England and Germany in 86, vs Brazil and Italy in 90, that time playing with a bad ankle, like attacking midfield and not as forward.
    Of course this wasn't really going to be a Maradona thread, but a Messi one.

In what World is the CL not outstanding? I get the hystorical and nostalgic meaning of the WC but nowadays the CL is the real ultimate football trophy in terms of talent and level of difficulty. Most top clubs would beat the leaving out of most top NT teams.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Of course this wasn't really going to be a Maradona thread, but a Messi one.

In what World is the CL not outstanding? I get the hystorical and nostalgic meaning of the WC but nowadays the CL is the real ultimate football trophy in terms of talent and level of difficulty. Most top clubs would beat the leaving out of most top NT teams.
    By that logic, Messi and Cristiano would find it much easier to shine on a mundial then, because of their individual quality and given that the teams they play aren't that good defending like in the Champions League.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    By that logic, Messi and Cristiano would find it much easier to shine on a mundial then, because of their individual quality and given that the teams they play aren't that good defending like in the Champions League.
    The teams they play for are much worse too. Everything evens out for the worse.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Diego was great, tbh, but to be fair he was playing Belgium...
    I found another semi-final vs Italy, at Italy 90:

Italy always field good NT’s, at that time Serie A was the best league. I’m sure it wasn’t easy to play Italy at home. Injured Maradona leading his team to the final.

Before the game few gave Argentina any chance.

Cani made a stupid hand ball at mid court in an insignificant play, which was his second yellow and suspension for the final. Who knows what would have happened otherwise.

Maradona made most of his goals for the NT at mundiales and important official games. He assisted a lot too.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I found another semi-final vs Italy, at Italy 90:

Italy always field good NT’s, at that time Serie A was the best league. I’m sure it wasn’t easy to play Italy at home. Injured Maradona leading his team to the final.

Before the game few gave Argentina any chance.

Cani made a stupid hand ball at mid court in an insignificant play, which was his second yellow and suspension for the final. Who knows what would have happened otherwise.

Maradona made most of his goals for the NT at mundiales and important official games. He assisted a lot too.
    that team was horrible to watch, tbh... nothing like '86. But they managed to go all the way to the Final. Bilardo was a GOAT coach, tbh...

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    that team was horrible to watch, tbh... nothing like '86. But they managed to go all the way to the Final. Bilardo was a GOAT coach, tbh...
    Never saw such a bad team reach the finals. Maradona had a shot ankle. The only good thing was that Caniggia was the fastest player of all time, and very skilled too.

For México ‘86, Argentina barely classified. There was some luck too with the opponents. Bilardo also made the team overachieve, but Diego was the best with quite some margin.

Argentina took far better Brazil out, also favourites Italy, in Italy 90. In the final, that penalty that Germany won the championship with, didn’t really exist. It seems that FIFA didn’t want a penalty shootout and basically handed over the victory to Germany.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Never saw such a bad team reach the finals. Maradona had a shot ankle. The only good thing was that Caniggia was the fastest player of all time, and very skilled too.

For México ‘86, Argentina barely classified. There was some luck too with the opponents. Bilardo also made the team overachieve, but Diego was the best with quite some margin.

Argentina took far better Brazil out, also favourites Italy, in Italy 90. In the final, that penalty that Germany won the championship with, didn’t really exist. It seems that FIFA didn’t want a penalty shootout and basically handed over the victory to Germany.
    That 90's team was a defensive powerhouse, and extremely disciplined tactically. That's all it had going for it, the offense was basically Caniggia for the counter.

IIRC, we won two rounds through penalty shootouts. It was really an ugly team to watch, tactical fouls all the time, etc. That match against Brazil, they hit the post like 3 times, and we attacked once the whole game and scored.

It was a much different team from '86, tbh. The '86 team was not only tactically disciplined, it had a great midfield, and the left and right backs attacked a lot and very well. Sure, Diego was stellar, but the team overall had more of an offensive game.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    How I wished Messi had a coach the caliber of Bilardo during his run. The closest he got was, Bilardo's understudy, Sabella and reached the WC final during a bad, injury ridden season.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Excuses excuses

Messi is a certified choker and he is not a leader, accept it and move on

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    Maradonna was never ever as consistent as messi throughout his career

Maradonna has a supporting cast that also actually showed up.

Even if maradonna played just OK Argentina could still win back then, if Messi is just OK, Argentina don’t even qualify for the World Cup.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    That’s beta talk tbh

He took his big out when it mattered, not against Llevante

Missi got outscored in the Clasico by a teenager and a dude who played 1 minute this season

And yes his supporting cast showed up, but that’s because he was a leader.
    Messi doesn’t inspire his teammates
    Last edited by lefty; 04-09-2020 at 12:36 PM.

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    That’s beta talk tbh

Outscored in the Clasico by a teenager and a dude who played 1 minute this season

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    If Messi is just OK, Argentina don’t even qualify for the World Cup.
    You gotta come up with something new because you're not making any sense

Midget was pretty far from OK in the Copa America, he was in fact mediocre (1 group stage penalty/ 0 assists) and despite that Argentina still made the semi-final.

The notion that midget needs to be otherworldly for Argentina to make deep tournament runs, is nothing but midgetfan propaganda. See WC 14 and CA 19 for example.

My Team
    Russia
    Post Count
    Diego played in deeper role. That's explains difference in goals and assists.

My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    You gotta come up with something new because you're not making any sense

Midget was pretty far from OK in the Copa America, he was in fact mediocre (1 group stage penalty/ 0 assists) and despite that Argentina still made the semi-final.

The notion that midget needs to be otherworldly for Argentina to make deep tournament runs, is nothing but midgetfan propaganda. See WC 14 and CA 19 for example.
    Bull , messi was worst case a top 5 player in that WC, without him
    They don’t get out of the group stage in 2014, those are facts. Their defense stepped up in the knockout rounds no question.

My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    That’s beta talk tbh

Missi got outscored in the Clasico by a teenager and a dude who played 1 minute this season

Messi has a hat trick in clasico at 18. A Madrid fun talking down to Messi is the most
    Hilarious thing ever

Ronaldo doesn’t inspire . Even when he doesn’t play, Portugal have gone ten straight games without a loss. He’s just lucky as .

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Messi has a hat trick in clasico at 18. A Madrid fun talking down to Messi is the most
    Hilarious thing ever

Ronaldo doesn’t inspire . Even when he doesn’t play, Portugal have gone ten straight games without a loss. He’s just lucky as .
    That was a long time ago dude
    When he was being carried by Ronnie

Lol digging archives

My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    That was a long time ago dude
    When he was being carried by Ronnie

Lol digging archives
    Honestly with the way how the board is for Barca, it’s even tough to dig through the archives. (Same with the Spurs)

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    This.

Plus the penalty shootout during the semis of the same tournament

Moutinho didn’t want to shoot because he was afraid to miss and CR went to get him and told him “look I’ve seen you shoot penalties and you’re good, and if you miss then it!”

And Ronaldo was the 1st to shoot for Portugal and backed up his leadership by not Lionelmessing it
    And then Moutinho scored his penalty later

Proof :

https://youtu.be/kVpMbokU06E

My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    This.

Plus the penalty shootout during the semis of the same tournament

Moutinho didn’t want to shoot because he was afraid to miss and CR went to get him and told him “look I’ve seen you shoot penalties and you’re good, and if you miss then it!”

And Ronaldo was the 1st to shoot for Portugal and backed up his leadership by not Lionelmessing it
    And then Moutinho scored his penalty later

Proof :

https://youtu.be/kVpMbokU06E
    The guy who would sulk, and moan every time Bale would score? He would always be one of the last when a teammate went over to celebrate? He's got a good PR team (even making things up like him using his hotels for hospitals during COVID 19)

He's no leader. You only hear about these stories when it works out. Where is his leadership when it comes to letting teammate take free kicks when he's one of the worst in the world at it? He's selfish.

Thread Information