Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So glad this team tied the all-time playoff streak record. After tonight’s loss, pretty slim chance at getting 23, which was really the only thing to compete for this season.

Thanks to Tim, Tony, Manu, Kawhi, and the coaches and role players that made it happen, with the 5 championships along the way. Truly an accomplishment, especially seeing the modern dynasties like the Warriors, Lakers, and Bulls flame out so quickly.

Here’s to the next generation and the hopes to get back to the playoffs in a few years. It was a good run tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s really nothing to look forward to. When the streak started we already had Robinson, Elliot, and other pieces to build around. This time around, we have trash. Spurs will be the new Knicks and be bottom feeders until the team relocates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How fortunate Spurs fans have had it!
    Glorious times in the past where every year there was a chance.
    Sad how hard it’s has crashed under poop’s drunk dementia.
    It was a good run. Thanks Tim Duncan!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a great run. One of the greatest in the history of Sports, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So glad this team tied the all-time playoff streak record. After tonight’s loss, pretty slim chance at getting 23, which was really the only thing to compete for this season.

Thanks to Tim, Tony, Manu, Kawhi, and the coaches and role players that made it happen, with the 5 championships along the way. Truly an accomplishment, especially seeing the modern dynasties like the Warriors, Lakers, and Bulls flame out so quickly.

Here’s to the next generation and the hopes to get back to the playoffs in a few years. It was a good run tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad but the only news SA is gonna make is when they’re actually eliminated from the playoffs. ESPN will be all over that ... for about a day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ZaZa started the dominos falling when he took out Kawhi in the PO. Everything fell to sh!t pretty much after that. Franchise killer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad but the only news SA is gonna make is when they’re actually eliminated from the playoffs. ESPN will be all over that ... for about a day.

Yep and when they do talk about it they wont mention pops terrible coaching, they wont mention the injuries they're suffering from right now.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ZaZa started the dominos falling when he took out Kawhi in the PO. Everything fell to sh!t pretty much after that. Franchise killer.
    Kawhi went hard at Pop, with no Vaseline...
    Patfo made a bad deal under duress...
    Maybe if clips were the final destination for KL, harris gallo and the two firsts or some combo would have been a better foundation for a Spurs rebuild... but what's done is done.
    Another compe ive first round loss would be even worse than a sweep, tbh, because Patfo could run it back and justify it. Missing the playoffs forces the team to take a harder look at the team in the summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi went hard at Pop, with no Vaseline...
    Patfo made a bad deal under duress...
    Maybe if clips were the final destination for KL, harris gallo and the two firsts or some combo would have been a better foundation for a Spurs rebuild... but what's done is done.
    Another compe ive first round loss would be even worse than a sweep, tbh, because Patfo could run it back and justify it. Missing the playoffs forces the team to take a harder look at the team in the summer.
    Idk...... Kinda think Keldon & Poodle will be nice pieces.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I guess the Spurs are not going to have to worry about crowd control for the coronavirus for the rest of the regular season after the latest nosedive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a great accomplishment.

Very sad ending, but still a great accomplishment that won't be matched for a long time. If ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s really nothing to look forward to. When the streak started we already had Robinson, Elliot, and other pieces to build around. This time around, we have trash. Spurs will be the new Knicks and be bottom feeders until the team relocates.
    You would have to legitimately try in order to be as awful as the Knicks for as long. If you make ANY effort, you'll be much better than the Knicks, who's owner can't stop stepping on his schlong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was glad to be a witness to the greatest NBA franchise/dynasty of all time. This franchise had the greatest PF of all time and IMO a top 5 in NBA History in Timmy Duncan.

The way things went down with Kawhi truly sucked the life out of us. It was nice making it back to the playoffs last year but either we overachieved last year or everyone just figured us out this year. Oh well, bound to happen at some point. If these 3 things happen this summer I will be ecstatic about next year.

No Pop, No Forbes and either Becky, Timmy, Udoka or a former assistant under Pop becomes the Head Coach

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was inevitible. The big mistake was in not seeing the handwriting on the wall 2-3 seasons ago. I would trade the record streak (tie) for being contenders again without a thought. That's what PATFO gave up.

The league just announced that the cap for next season will be around $115M. Right now, if DDR opts in and they let Forbes and Poeltl walk for nothing, the Spurs have $118M committed for next season. But wait! They can go over the cap to re-sign their own players, right? Yep. So they will. And the team will look a of a lot like what it does right now.

But...but... what if DDR opts out? Well then the Spurs will have $25M worth of cap space. Sort of. They'll have $25M less the $3.5M they will be paying their draft pick. And less the $10M, give or take, that Pop gives Forbes. So $11.5M to hire someone, assuming he doesn't give Forbes even more. And if they decide to sign Poeltl for just $5M? That will leave a whopping $6.5M to go out and hire a difference maker.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id like to remind u all that if pop didnt lose his mind and sent kawhi to lal, streak would be alive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the other ty coaches plan a year at a time but pop looks at things multiple seasons at once. The guy seamlessly transitioned from the Duncan big 3 era with a meticulously planned and orchestrated design. Kawhi was engineered to be the new anchor. I will acknowledge his own work ethic, but i was there in 2011 and this guy was a raw talent with a slow wonky release and 32% from corners and chip and pop reprogrammed kawhi and his shot. We built that guy. Our pre existing legacy put him in a position to learn deep early. He was sought out, cultivated and honed by the spurs program. The fact that he had strong work ethic just put him in a position to capitalize on what the spurs provided.

I believe there was a financial scheme to pry him from san Antonio and install him in LA. I believe he was complicit and the league itself facilitated the move. Look at the Rams immediate success as soon as they relocated to LA. The city is starved for sports legitimacy and it's leaking cash as long as it's not a dominant competetive market.

I fear this is part of a multi year plan to dry out small market outliers and ultimately condense the league. Nola, SA, memphis, think of teams that gave star power up recently.

So now pop is trying to run a multi year model, with it's anchor cog now on a different team in LA, and he is caught in the undertow of trying to modify a deeply complex scheme with personnel it was not originally intended for. These strategies come from tremendous amounts of data, so now he has to run garbage lineups just to meet a data minimum to run it in advanced metrics and see what the numbers suggest.

We already had all that data with kawhi, now we start over with tier pieces that generate less novel data to base xs and os off of and people wonder why the spurs look ty. He has a superstar sized hole in his ing roster that he was not planning on losing like this. Give him back his SF and see how pops coaching looks. Cause last time we legit had him we were raping the Ws.
    Last edited by heyheymymy; 03-09-2020 at 12:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was inevitible. The big mistake was in not seeing the handwriting on the wall 2-3 seasons ago. I would trade the record streak (tie) for being contenders again without a thought. That's what PATFO gave up.

The league just announced that the cap for next season will be around $115M. Right now, if DDR opts in and they let Forbes and Poeltl walk for nothing, the Spurs have $118M committed for next season. But wait! They can go over the cap to re-sign their own players, right? Yep. So they will. And the team will look a of a lot like what it does right now.

But...but... what if DDR opts out? Well then the Spurs will have $25M worth of cap space. Sort of. They'll have $25M less the $3.5M they will be paying their draft pick. And less the $10M, give or take, that Pop gives Forbes. So $11.5M to hire someone, assuming he doesn't give Forbes even more. And if they decide to sign Poeltl for just $5M? That will leave a whopping $6.5M to go out and hire a difference maker.
    Don't forget about Gasol and Carols money!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree taking DDR was a big mistake and i knew it the day that deal went down. But every time i look at that deal and think what could have been- deals with clipppers that look better in hindsight- i am reminded how much i like poetl and you don't get him without the DDR deal.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget about Gasol and Carols money!

I counted it in the numbers, but it's a fair point. They were paying the ghost of Gasol $5.1m this year. Next year they'll be paying the ghost of Carrol $6.1M.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't expect the streak to be over due to sheer incompetence, but here we are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't expect the streak to be over due to sheer incompetence, but here we are.
    It would have taken sheer perfection for it to continue. We're not exactly gushing with talent, and we're not particularly close to that 8 spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s just wild to me that a team can be so results oriented to where they are blind to everything else. Half the teams in the league make the playoffs; like it’s good to be a playoff team but is it really that big of an accomplishment when so many teams get in?

Sure, if you are in the upper half of the bracket it is, but how anyone, let alone coaches and front office can be swayed so much by just making the playoffs is baffling to me.

The crazy thing is? That’s exactly what happens. You can win 38 games, make the playoffs and that is somehow a good sign to teams. But if you win 38 and miss the playoffs? Time for the overhaul.

Sorry, playoffs or not, you aren’t comfortably above 500 you need to seriously consider changing things.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree taking DDR was a big mistake and i knew it the day that deal went down. But every time i look at that deal and think what could have been- deals with clipppers that look better in hindsight- i am reminded how much i like poetl and you don't get him without the DDR deal.

I agree. 2 lottery picks plus tobias. I would not have minded letting tobias walk too if he still wanted his full max. Getting SGA and whoever else they would have wanted. Along with lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was glad to be a witness to the greatest NBA franchise/dynasty of all time. This franchise had the greatest PF of all time and IMO a top 5 in NBA History in Timmy Duncan.

The way things went down with Kawhi truly sucked the life out of us. It was nice making it back to the playoffs last year but either we overachieved last year or everyone just figured us out this year. Oh well, bound to happen at some point. If these 3 things happen this summer I will be ecstatic about next year.

No Pop, No Forbes and either Becky, Timmy, Udoka or a former assistant under Pop becomes the Head Coach
    Can't just be any former Pop assistant; there's been some god awful ones like Boylen. Only Pop assistants I'd want taking over are Bud, Brett, Becky, Tim, or Udoka. Otherwise go with someone like Atkinson.

Thread Information