Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s exactly what we disagreed about. I posted my responses explaining why he would have reasons to opt out of his 27M to secure more guaranteed total money even
    I literally joined in on that discussion and he's here telling me that it was never said. Jfc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I literally joined in on that discussion and he's here telling me that it was never said. Jfc
    He’s a weird cat. But he’s a Spurs fan so by law we have to love him.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They owe him right at $28M next year if he were to opt in. You wouldn't take him for 4 years (including next year) for a total of $100M?

That makes next year look pretty bleak. If they let DDR go for nothing, sign Forbes like I think they will, and Pay their rookie, they'll have maybe $10M-$14M to hire a player. If they re-sign Poeltl, the biggest chunk of money they will have to sign a player to replace DeRozan will be the MLE.

So if they let DDR walk for nothing, they might as well go ahead and move Aldridge. It's gonna get ugly up in here for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s what I’m hoping.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They owe him right at $28M next year if he were to opt in. You wouldn't take him for 4 years (including next year) for a total of $100M?

That makes next year look pretty bleak. If they let DDR go for nothing, sign Forbes like I think they will, and Pay their rookie, they'll have maybe $10M-$14M to hire a player. If they re-sign Poeltl, the biggest chunk of money they will have to sign a player to replace DeRozan will be the MLE.

So if they let DDR walk for nothing, they might as well go ahead and move Aldridge. It's gonna get ugly up in here for a while.
    I always thought the Spurs were trying to line up cap space for 2021. What would further that goal is letting DDR walk and signing Marcus Morris-type deals (lol) for one big year of guaranteed salary and a non-guaranteed second year.

If the Spurs do end up extending DDR (or re-signing if he opts out) I will be very confused. Then again I can't understand many other decisions they have made so who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a weird player he will never be the guy but he is a good player just not a leader or clutch. However that being said how would a sign and trade work? I would take Lavert or Dinwiddle or work out a bigger deal try and get both. I live in my and with Kylie and Durant they won't fit and the team has kind of been stripped from them because of those two not to mention those two had Atkinson fired. So if a sign and trade is possible at this point I'd take anything we could get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought the Spurs were trying to line up cap space for 2021. What would further that goal is letting DDR walk and signing Marcus Morris-type deals (lol) for one big year of guaranteed salary and a non-guaranteed second year.

If the Spurs do end up extending DDR (or re-signing if he opts out) I will be very confused. Then again I can't understand many other decisions they have made so who knows.
    Spurs would still have cap space, but obviously maxing DD would hurt.

Players under contract for 2021 season

Walker
    Samanic
    Murray
    Johnson
    2020 Rookie
    2021 Rookie

Possible extensions:
    Poeltl
    White

Dead Money

Carroll 1.2mil

Expired contracts with capholds:
    LMA
    Gay
    Mills
    Lyles

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Salary cap is coming down hard.
    IMO, the only rational choice is for DeRozan to opt in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. Teams will be looking to save money if the cap drops and there were already few teams that could afford to pay DDR what he wants. some teams may even need to cut or trade players just to remain under the cap.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh they are. Or at least that's supposed to be the plan. I was mostly just being sure everybody understands what that would look like, and just how ugly next year could be. If they go and hire a couple of mid-tier guys as filler, even to 2-year contracts, it's still going to be eating up cap for 2021. So if they're going to stay pure on the "plan", it's going to mean playing mostly the young guys, and maybe picking up a scrap heap player on a 1-year deal. (Or more than one, depending on what they do about Poeltl, Forbes, and Beli.

They've got to fill next year's roster. And it's going to be hard to do that without infringing on 2021's Ultimate Cap Space Plan. Not to mention the fact that White, Mills, and Lyles expire next year. Not ot mention the challenge of luring a max player to a small market without any other name players on the roster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never underestimate the Knicks!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this supposed to be a threat/warning from him/his representation to the Spurs? As bad as it would suck to lose him for nothing and as much ridicule as they'd deserve for it, it still beats extending him.

This talk of, so long as it fits within' certain parameters, it's fine; that's nonsense. This is a flawed, aging player, who already will have a narrow market, which is likely to further depreciate in relatively short order. Plus, there's the possibility of him suffering a career altering injury.

Obviously, the hope is that it's in his best interest to work with the organization on a sign and trade, but if push comes to shove let him walk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who cares ? the world is ending tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forgot Poetl who has pretty good potential too and can be a foundational piece for a team.
    No he is not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forgot Poetl who has pretty good potential too and can be a foundational piece for a team.
    he is not even in the same convo as Aaron freaking "thanks mayn" Baynes

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh they are. Or at least that's supposed to be the plan. I was mostly just being sure everybody understands what that would look like, and just how ugly next year could be. If they go and hire a couple of mid-tier guys as filler, even to 2-year contracts, it's still going to be eating up cap for 2021. So if they're going to stay pure on the "plan", it's going to mean playing mostly the young guys, and maybe picking up a scrap heap player on a 1-year deal. (Or more than one, depending on what they do about Poeltl, Forbes, and Beli.

They've got to fill next year's roster. And it's going to be hard to do that without infringing on 2021's Ultimate Cap Space Plan. Not to mention the fact that White, Mills, and Lyles expire next year. Not ot mention the challenge of luring a max player to a small market without any other name players on the roster.
    Next year being ugly will be much easier to stomach if we expect it going in. I think going 23-59 next year would go down much more easily than going 35-47 this year if it seems like there's a plan.

You're right that guys like White and Lyles will eat into 2021's cap space. I'm more talking about extending DDR rather than letting him walk.

I think the Spurs will have to follow the Utah path to putting together a decent team: hit in the draft and lure mid-rage free agents, while perhaps making a shrewd trade or two. Unfortunately, as good as the Spurs FO has been in the draft, the free agency and trade decisions have tended to be poor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...so back to basketball.

Just out of curiosity, what do you all think DeRozan is looking for? What does he really believe he's going to get?

I'm trying to guess what the Spurs might be able to do with a sign and trade. But damn, with his 10 years experience the max he could get (from the Spurs) is 5/$233M. Even a new team could give him somewhere around 4/$173. Surely he doesn't think he's worth a max extension, does he?
    Who cares? We don't want him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The anthony davis trade was different. He didnt tank his trade value and have a mysterious injury to where he missed 90% of the season before.
    He did tank it...he said only LA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this team is not going to be compe ive with derozan. they may not be compe ive without him right now either, but i'd rather have the resources to at least try to go in another direction than committing to a ceiling of mediocrity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too many empty stat padders in the league who are not winning players...its best if the spurs get rid of his ass for pieces or draft picks...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jabari Young: Derozan Unhappy in SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jabari Young: Derozan Unhappy in SA

Jabari just trolling. No one talks to that clown anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we could get a protected first round draft pick out of Demar I'd be happy with that. Either way let him walk. Can't build a team around him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demar never wanted to be here anyway. Let him go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol wtf is Jabari smoking that makes him think Miami’s big 3 would be Butler, Derozan and..... Iguodala?

Thread Information