Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like a lot of people in this thread are shooting from the hip on hypotheticals in regards to DeMar -- thinking its a foregone conclusion he will opt in.

Hollinger and others have talked about how the NBA is expecting a 8-15 million reduction to the cap depending on if the season is salvaged ( 8 mil reduction) or not ( 15 mil reduction).

ALL players will have their salary proportionately reduced regardless ( not just FA's). I.E: If a player currently makes 10% of the current cap, he will continue making the same percentage of the new cap which would be a lower salary. So those thinking DeMar will opt in bc of economy, know that theres not a real incentive for DeMar to opt in if hes losing money next year regardless -- as will all players when salaries are all deducted proportionately. With this universal deduction in salary across the board with all players, the teams that are expected to have space will continue to have the same space relative to the percentage of the cap. Meaning there will be a market for free agents ( there has to be).

DeMar will still likely opt out and Spurs will be looking for a S&T deal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like a lot of people in this thread are shooting from the hip on hypotheticals in regards to DeMar -- thinking its a foregone conclusion he will opt in.

Hollinger and others have talked about how the NBA is expecting a 8-15 million reduction to the cap depending on if the season is salvaged ( 8 mil reduction) or not ( 15 mil reduction).

ALL players will have their salary proportionately reduced regardless ( not just FA's). I.E: If a player currently makes 10% of the current cap, he will continue making the same percentage of the new cap which would be a lower salary. So those thinking DeMar will opt in bc of economy, know that theres not a real incentive for DeMar to opt in if hes losing money next year regardless -- as will all players when salaries are all deducted proportionately. With this universal deduction in salary across the board with all players, the teams that are expected to have space will continue to have the same space relative to the percentage of the cap. Meaning there will be a market for free agents ( there has to be).

I live in Denver and I hear a few things from people in passing what if I told you that the Spurs were interested in bringing DeRozan back on a team friendly deal. Now I doubt he will take that considering he sees himself as a star but this overwhelming notion that the Spurs don't want the guy at all is not accurate. If DeMar wants to stay in San Antonio on the teams terms then he will be there. However since I don't see him taking a team friendly deal he's going to opt out. I could see DeMar going to the Magic in a sign and r=trade because there was at one time interest in him.I don't think DeMar will be in a Spurs uniform next year but it's not because the Spurs are just ready to kick him to the curb. I know y'all may not want to hear this but it's going to take them to totally blow up the team for them to let go of Aldridge from I heard they value him as a player and they really really like the guy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    deleted double post
    Last edited by talkspurs; 05-14-2020 at 01:13 AM. Reason: double post

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I dont think your correct on this. The Players sign contracts with an amount listed. It is reduced this year because of missed games. Part of the CBA allows for this if there is missed games. If no games are missed next year they would not be able to reduce it without the players consent. Players that would be effected would be players that sign either max extensions or rookies ads they are a portion of the up coming cap. Players already under max and under regular contracts would not be effected as teams would then be breaking a contract. There has been talk about waving the tax or reducing it for this next year so teams do not get hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

NBA salaries are only tied to the cap at one time: the first year is set a percentage of the cap. After that, raises are already set, and the contract operates independent of the cap.

Think about it. If they fell with the cap, they'd actually have to rise with the cap, too. If that were the case, GS never would have been able to pull off what they did with Durant.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought it would be interesting to have salaries all be a percentage of the cap, with some cap smoothing provision to have the cap be tied to the previous 5 years of revenue rather than just the previous year. But I don't see both the players and owners agreeing to something like this, and I'm not sure how the soft cap/luxury tax stuff would work with this in place.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    demar & la for oladipo & sabonis. throw in the spurs’ second round pick.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    dipo turned down an extension from indy and teams are monitoring the situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dipo turned down an extension from indy and teams are monitoring the situation.
    That’s not the big deal that it used to be. Teams almost always try for at least a small discount. Even a full max extension isn’t as much as a new max contract would be, which is why players turn them down pretty regularly. He’ll still be a RFA, so they have the option to match any deal next summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thibodeau supposedly being the front runner for the Knicks job could just be because he was Rose's (new president and former agent) long time client, but he's not the type you hire to re-build.

Between that and his being old school, this probably bodes well for their potentially having interest in DeRozan. Can't imagine he'll be priority, but if they can't get anything significant accomplished he could be a fallback.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thibodeau supposedly being the front runner for the Knicks job could just be because he was Rose's (new president and former agent) long time client, but he's not the type you hire to re-build.

Between that and his being old school, this probably bodes well for their potentially having interest in DeRozan. Can't imagine he'll be priority, but if they can't get anything significant accomplished he could be a fallback.
    Take it. Swing a deal with OKC as well.

DeRozan for Knicks pick to draft Deni
    Spurs pick to OKC for Steven Adams

Dejounte/ White
    Lonnie/ Mills
    Deni/ Keldon
    Aldridge/ Samanic/ Lyles
    Adams/ Poetl

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dejounte/ White
    Lonnie/ Mills
    Deni/ Keldon
    Aldridge/ Samanic/ Lyles
    Adams/ Poetl

Knicks can sign DeRozan without giving up their pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dejounte/ White
    Lonnie/ Mills
    Deni/ Keldon
    Aldridge/ Samanic/ Lyles
    Adams/ Poetl
    The Knicks obviously aren't giving up the (projected) 6th pick for DeRozan. To get Avdija, it would have to be the type of 3 team trade I outlined.

Why would the Spurs want Adams when Poeltl is low key comparable, younger and will likely cost less than half the price? Aldridge can't defend "PF's" anymore and that starting lineup would have severe spacing issues.

In my trade they'd be left with . . .

Starters: Lyles, Avdija, Aldridge, Walker, Murray

Bench: Mills, Gay, Forbes, Poeltl, Ntilikina, Johnson

Deep bench: Eubanks, Thomas, Metu, Samanic, Weatherspoon

Obviously some t/o's, r and ufa's, non and partial guarantees to sort out. Leaves one spot on the 15 man (41st pick?), though they'd likely try to accommodate Aldridge and Gay with win now situations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I somehow missed a better, more obvious one, that eliminates the question of whether the Knicks would be interested in DeRozan (supposedly they now realize the obvious, which is that they need players that compliment Barrett) . . .

To Pistons: DeRozan, White, 11

To Spurs: Kennard, 5

Avdija/Johnson
    Walker/Kennard
    Murray/Mills

Much better fitting perimeter corps.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I somehow missed a better, more obvious one, that eliminates the question of whether the Knicks would be interested in DeRozan (supposedly they now realize the obvious, which is that they need players that compliment Barrett) . . .

To Pistons: DeRozan, White, 11

To Spurs: Kennard, 5

Avdija/Johnson
    Walker/Kennard
    Murray/Mills

Much better fitting perimeter corps.

Just like the Knicks they also don’t need to trade to get DeRozan. On their own they can have a rotation something to the effect of:

Hayes. Rose
    Kennard. Snell
    DeRozan. Doumbouya
    Griffin.
    Wood

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like the Knicks they also don’t need to trade to get DeRozan. On their own they can have a rotation something to the effect of:

Hayes. Rose
    Kennard. Snell
    DeRozan. Doumbouya
    Griffin.
    Wood
    Sure, they could probably sign him . . . in a year. By that time, Rose could be gone and him and/or Griffin could fall off a cliff.

Obviously, this would hinge on them not being overly high on the prospects likely to be available at 5.

Also, fit is vital with DeRozan.

Griffin/Doumbouya
    Snell/Mykhailiuk
    TBD/Wood
    DeRozan/Brown/Thomas
    White/Rose
    Last edited by TD 21; 05-31-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, they could probably sign him . . . in a year. By that time, Rose could be gone and him and/or Griffin could fall off a cliff.

Obviously, this would hinge on them not being overly high on the prospects likely to be available at 5.

Also, fit is vital with DeRozan.

Griffin/Doumbouya
    Snell/Mykhailiuk
    TBD/Wood
    DeRozan/Brown/Thomas
    White/Rose

They can sign him this summer. DeRozan can opt out and sign his last contract with either his old team, old coach, or even another team in a major market.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can sign him this summer. DeRozan can opt out and sign his last contract with either his old team, old coach, or even another team in a major market.
    It's expected that no one with significant money on a player option will opt out. This is obviously based on that scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the dominoes begin to fall...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know if I'd have do that if I was Jerami Grant. I can see this being a VERY unhappy season for FA's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know if I'd have do that if I was Jerami Grant. I can see this being a VERY unhappy season for FA's.
    jerami grant is worth way more in today's nba. he is the modern day center and can shoot 3's and run like a gazelle. I would very surprised if Derozan did that with his $27M player option though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should keep Demar

He’s what Jordan would be if he played today

WE HAVE THE UNDISPUTED GOAT

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should keep Demar

He’s what Jordan would be if he played today

WE HAVE THE UNDISPUTED GOAT
    True, though Jordan has an excuse since he's 57.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jerami grant is worth way more in today's nba. he is the modern day center and can shoot 3's and run like a gazelle. I would very surprised if Derozan did that with his $27M player option though.
    I think you can walk away from 9M, and not take too much of a haircut if the cap goes south. It could be worth the risk. I don’t think the same thing can be said for 27M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, though Jordan has an excuse since he's 57.
    25 year old Jordanwould look 57 anyway if he played today

Thread Information