My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan leave yet?

Praying Dog Dot Gif

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lettin go ddr for nothing will be one of the dumbest thing ever made. He still has some value and spurs need to use it. Especially that this franchise is not the top destination for FAs.

ddr+2nd for randle and ellington
    lma for nurkic and trevor

murray/loonie/vassel/randle/nurkic

other potential ddrs trades
    ddr + 1st for otto porter and markannen
    ddr for aaron gordon and aminu
    ddr, lyles + 2nd for tobias harris

While you’re at it, Bonner for LeBron

None of those teams or any team is going to give up major value for DeRozan who is a well known malcontent and will walk from anywhere he gets traded to. Doubt we even get a 2nd rounder in any trade of him

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While you’re at it, Bonner for LeBron

None of those teams or any team is going to give up major value for DeRozan who is a well known malcontent and will walk from anywhere he gets traded to. Doubt we even get a 2nd rounder in any trade of him
    i thought about sign and trade, its obvious that 1yr of ddr isnt worth that much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DDR can get a five year 100 mil contract from someone he is gone. I also think he might get that deal in a sign and trade. Perhaps to Orlando.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DDR can get a five year 100 mil contract from someone he is gone. I also think he might get that deal in a sign and trade. Perhaps to Orlando.
    I don’t see anyone giving him 5 years at age 31, but he could get 4 if he opts out this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See how long it takes DeRozan for this thread to be updated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See how long it takes DeRozan for this thread to be updated.
    Hopefully he opted out once the Jazz game hit 0:00

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Keldon comming on strong, his only purpose is mentor to him....

if he don't want to do that, then be gone with thee
    27.8 mil for him to mentor Keldon? that, he can do that for free on Zoom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think he’s going to opt in and leave next summer to a contender.

I believe Aldridge will be moved to start a full rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is still true, we will know something by August 20th.

However, according to ESPN’s Bobby Marks, some of the players who have to make option decisions for 2020/21 have slightly earlier deadlines. For instance, if the Spurs don’t make the postseason, DeMar DeRozan will be required to make his decision within seven days of the team’s last game, per Marks.

• October 13
      • DeMar DeRozan, Spurs ($27,739,975)
        • Note: This deadline would be moved to seven days after the Spurs’ last game if they don’t make the playoffs.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/06/...deadlines.html

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Keldon comming on strong, his only purpose is mentor to him....

if he don't want to do that, then be gone with thee
    Mentor him how? Teach him how to not shoot threes and not play defense?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeMar helped his cause in the bubble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's going to opt-in. There's no way he's going to make more money on the open market.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Mentor him how? Teach him how to not shoot threes and not play defense?
    yeah, i cannot stand when people say demar can mentor any of the young guys

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's going to opt-in. There's no way he's going to make more money on the open market.
    Cap smoothing was done so there isn't a decrease in next year's cap though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s odd, I kind think he’ll opt out but if he does I bet it’s because him and the spurs have already come to an agreement on a deal because he’s 31 and if he wants to secure money up until he’s 34-35 years old he needs to sign a contract now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap smoothing was done so there isn't a decrease in next year's cap though.
    That's not the only thing that matters. It's not like Corona isn't going to affect next year either, and we hadn't seen what China's fight with the NBA was going to mean to the cap anyway. Plus with a new TV deal coming up after how terrible this one has been for the networks, I don't know that that money will be there as much. It's possible the cap is stagnant for years, and most NBA contracts are signed with the idea that the cap will keep increasing. Teams aren't going to give out the same types of contracts that they did last year even if the cap remains the same. There's just no more confidence that the money will work out long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s odd, I kind think he’ll opt out but if he does I bet it’s because him and the spurs have already come to an agreement on a deal because he’s 31 and if he wants to secure money up until he’s 34-35 years old he needs to sign a contract now
    Yeah, ala RJ and Gasol. That's a legit possibility, especially if the Spurs think DeRozan can play PF long-term. I'm hoping the team gets to trade him, but the tea leaves make it seem like the front office will at least try to see what the team can do once it cuts the fat and plays the young guys with LMA, DMDR and Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bye Demar!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, ala RJ and Gasol. That's a legit possibility, especially if the Spurs think DeRozan can play PF long-term. I'm hoping the team gets to trade him, but the tea leaves make it seem like the front office will at least try to see what the team can do once it cuts the fat and plays the young guys with LMA, DMDR and Gay.
    They had RJ opt out and resign as I recall so they could bring Splitter over.
    They had Pau opt out (and later resign) so they could clear space to make a run at Chris Paul (that never happened because the Houston deal happened without a a meeting with the Spurs).
    Both were calculated gambles to try and bring in an additional player. Obviously, they had to make opting out enticing to Pau and RJ which is why they got the bigger/longer contracts after opting out.

If they did something similar to DeRozan, would they have a player targeted? As present Spurs aren't close to contending. I think it is a different scenario. But maybe they use the money to sign White when his time comes.
    Last edited by BillMc; 08-15-2020 at 05:18 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had Pau opt out (and later resign) so they could clear space to make a run at Chris Paul (that never happened because the Houston deal happened without a a meeting with the Spurs).
    Both were calculated gambles to try and bring in an additional player. Obviously, they had to make opting out enticing to Pau and RJ which is why they got the bigger/longer contracts after opting out.

If they did something similar to DeRozan, would they have a player targeted? As present Spurs aren't close to contending. I think it is a different scenario. But maybe they use the money to sign White when his time comes.
    I think that's a game they will try and play next summer, with Demar and LMA being full expirings, no this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not extend him then? It’s not like they have cap space to sign someone else then re-sign him. If everyone wanted him here why not just do the extension?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why not extend him then? It’s not like they have cap space to sign someone else then re-sign him. If everyone wanted him here why not just do the extension?

This is why:

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?team=spurs

Even if you renounce everyone but Poeltl, the Spurs are $2 Million over the tax. Remember that the project cap is flat next year. It isn't supposed to increase like it does in Mark's simulation. If you then have Poeltl sign his QO (his new contract will probably be close to that anyway) and waive Metu and Zeller (who's replaced by Carroll because he's still on the roster in the simulation), you get SA with 11 players on the team and $6 Million in room under the tax. That's not enough to fill the roster with vet minimum (though it is enough to do so with come combo of rookies and vets). And that ignores that the Spurs may want to keep Metu, have to go over the QO to keep Poeltl or want to replace Beli with another wing. They could get some more room by waiving Lyles, but I am not sure they want to do that either.

tl;dr -- The Spurs could make it work without RJ'ing DeRozan but tightening their belts and letting guys walk -- and by hoping they don't win the lottery. But if they want to have a competent roster with any flexibility, something going to have to give. A DeRozan extension is the most parsimonious plan, but they could also trade one of their guys and take less money back. I doubt they'd extend DeRozan while also trading other guys away, though. They'd be doing it to try to keep "winning". While DeRozan might look out for himself and opt in, I don't see it as being part of an extension outside an extend-and-trade. For the Spurs' sake, shaving even $2 Million off next year's salary is worth a ton of their financial well-being.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why:

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?team=spurs

Even if you renounce everyone but Poeltl, the Spurs are $2 Million over the tax. Remember that the project cap is flat next year. It isn't supposed to increase like it does in Mark's simulation. If you then have Poeltl sign his QO (his new contract will probably be close to that anyway) and waive Metu and Zeller (who's replaced by Carroll because he's still on the roster in the simulation), you get SA with 11 players on the team and $6 Million in room under the tax. That's not enough to fill the roster with vet minimum (though it is enough to do so with come combo of rookies and vets). And that ignores that the Spurs may want to keep Metu, have to go over the QO to keep Poeltl or want to replace Beli with another wing. They could get some more room by waiving Lyles, but I am not sure they want to do that either.

tl;dr -- The Spurs could make it work without RJ'ing DeRozan but tightening their belts and letting guys walk -- and by hoping they don't win the lottery. But if they want to have a competent roster with any flexibility, something going to have to give. A DeRozan extension is the most parsimonious plan, but they could also trade one of their guys and take less money back. I doubt they'd extend DeRozan while also trading other guys away, though. They'd be doing it to try to keep "winning". While DeRozan might look out for himself and opt in, I don't see it as being part of an extension outside an extend-and-trade. For the Spurs' sake, shaving even $2 Million off next year's salary is worth a ton of their financial well-being.
    They’re not necessarily over the tax, but I have them right at it. There are a lot of guys that will never play for the team that they can renounce, and pretty save to assume Forbes and/or Beli will be gone too.

I’m at $132 million with 12 roster spots filled:
    - Retain Aldridge / Gay / Murray / Mills / Lyles / Walker / Saminic / Johnson / White
    - QO hold for Poeltl
    - DeRozan opts in
    - 11th pick is more expensive than 19th they have modeled
    - Dump Metu (non-guaranteed) and all other holds besides Poeltl
    - Dead money to Carroll

A flat cap will likely mean a really bad market for Poeltl, and he may play out the QO or hopefully take a number starting in the high-seven figures for year one. Does he generate interest on the full MLE?

Some other maneuvering may be needed to stay under the tax if we get no bump. The Spurs are not going to pay the tax with this roster.

Also, if they end up winning the lottery, that’s a good problem to have. You can figure it out later and stay below the tax. If that means trading Mills or Gay, you do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you ask me Rudy is the odd man out. He's been garbage since last years playoffs and has played well in the bubble against 3rd stringers. We all know he won't be able to perform like that for a full NBA season. He's not worth 14.5 million and should be easy to trade

Thread Information