Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but its a simple math problem because we're dealing with exponential growth. I read a great example of a pond being covered by Lily Pads. Assume you have a pond with one lily pad and it doubles every day, and you fully cover the pond on the 30th day. Well, the riddle is to ask when the pond is half way covered, which of course is on day 29. But whats interesting, is that you don't get to 1% coverage until day 24! So even though its been here for awhile, the fact that its growing exponentially means that it grows fairly slowly until it explodes.

So its really unlikely that we had a peak then it fell off on its own. Its likely just been growing the entire time until it is so prevalent that it can't stay under the radar. But you're right that now that we're hyper vigilant to it we're going to find cases everywhere now. Well assuming we can test for it.
    It's so non-intuitive how exponential growth is so much slower than linear growth until it just blows up enormously. nothing...nothing... nothing... little bit... holy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO, athletes are actually more at risk of corona because of how far they push their bodies and the lack of fat they carry. Young people have better immunity but once they get it, fat is your friend to sustain yourself when everything else in your body goes . The only thing sports help is heart, muscle, and brain function.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No practice means the season is likely cancelled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i’m surprised currency hasn’t been mentioned. it’s something everyone touches and something no one cleans.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA a bunch of babies. Worst sport in America hands down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't really been taking it serious but I'm starting to get scared brahs. There's stuff happening that has never happened in my lifetime. The NCAA and pro leagues shutting down, large events banned, colleges cancelling semesters, school districts canceling classes.

Feels like the beginning of an apocalyptic movie. I hope those of you predicting hundreds of thousands of deaths are wrong.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    charles barkley is self quarantined. awaiting results from the test.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the difference between this and say the swine flu? How come everything didn't shut down for that? Google says that killed 12k people in the US and 550k people worldwide.

Just being more careful or is this just worse? I literally have not been paying attention to it at all.

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA a bunch of babies. Worst sport in America hands down
    Delete your account.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i’m surprised currency hasn’t been mentioned. it’s something everyone touches and something no one cleans.
    Bro its 2020 I'm not using cash. Good point about my cards tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the difference between this and say the swine flu? How come everything didn't shut down for that? Google says that killed 12k people in the US and 550k people worldwide.

Just being more careful or is this just worse? I literally have not been paying attention to it at all.
    I don't know about sports but the swine flu was a big deal in my (third world) country. Classes and stopped for more than a full month, people would barely go out into the streets. The thing about COVID19 is that it seems to be slightly more fatal than the flu, whilst being much more contagious (and mass panic/sensationalism isn't helping at all), which for a virus is a huge difference. I'm really interested (and a bit scared) to see how everything unfolds, it's fascinating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Much more contagious and people can spread it without being symptomatic. Also the fatality rate depending on age group is higher.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't really been taking it serious but I'm starting to get scared brahs. There's stuff happening that has never happened in my lifetime. The NCAA and pro leagues shutting down, large events banned, colleges cancelling semesters, school districts canceling classes.

Feels like the beginning of an apocalyptic movie. I hope those of you predicting hundreds of thousands of deaths are wrong.
    South Korea has peaked and starting to level off before the decline. Same with China. Other countries and the USA are following the South Korea model, except more of a slow road to closures instead of everything at once. Notice how everything is closing in a orderly fashion now? The plans were ready, now they are being implemented. I expect ALL schools in country shut down before Monday or by next Friday. Full quarantine ONLY in hot spots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This has the potential to kill millions in the US and 10s or 100s of millions worldwide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has the potential to kill millions in the US and 10s or 100s of millions worldwide.
    Nah. You liar.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    who’s gonna be the first ST user to get the virus?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The pinch is the concern..there would not be enough respirators for the patients who needed them and usually treatable conditions would become life-threatening. 40% of us will get it. Most even show more symptoms than a common mild cold. What we don't want is a mass of people getting it at the same time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. You liar.
    330 million * 70% exposure = 200 million cases * 1% mortality = 2 million deaths.
    That’s the potential. We can make it lower if we try hard enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    330 million * 70% exposure = 200 million cases * 1% mortality = 2 million deaths.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

H1N1 (eg Swine flu) was a 90 year old virus that had already passed through the population and we had vaccines for. You might have taken H1N1 vaccines before you were allowed to go to school. But it killed 50-100 million people the first time it came through the human population when we had no resistance and no vaccines for it in 1918 and 1919.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...ic-history.htm

SARSCov2 is conservatively projected to kill 500,000 Americans. It's serious . It's not thought to have crossed over into humans until the end of last November in a specific Wuhan wet market that 27 of the first 41 patients had visited. The only adults with resistance to it are those who have just gotten it and recovered.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-12-2020 at 09:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I explained, the issue isn't corona, its people that need medical treatment can't get it because the health system is full. And what would normally be non life threatening illnesses, become life threatening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I explained, the issue isn't corona, its people that need medical treatment can't get it because the health system is full. And what would normally be non life threatening illnesses, become life threatening.
    This is a legit point. Pharmacies are over run right now. Like the medical version of a run on the bank. There will be indirect deaths from this

Thread Information