My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD is infected.

sound the alarms

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL anyone who thinks this isn't going to keep happening and that there is any chance whatsoever of another NBA game this season.

Honestly wtf cares about basketball being played right now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully Kawhi gets Corona tbh. Since KD got it we know snakes aren't immune

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really going to blow people's minds when they come to realize people have had this since january, or when enough nba players get it and nothing happens because they have no preexisting conditions. Keep testing nba players!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really going to blow people's minds when they come to realize people have had this since january, or when enough nba players get it and nothing happens because they have no preexisting conditions. Keep testing nba players!!!

Thats what im wondering. How are mitc ,gobert ,woods and durant etc doing? Are any really sick or are all showing little to no symptoms ? I assume a athlete in his 20's probably wont be effected much or am i wrong

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if they have visited elderly relatives with complicating conditions?

Wash their hands?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if they have visited elderly relatives with complicating conditions?

Wash their hands?
    You do get how it spreads, right? Glad to see you following days later lol at your post count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do get how it spreads, right? Glad to see you following days later lol at your post count
    You didn't answer the question.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every stat that I have seen explains that for over 80 percent symptoms are mild. those with no underlying conditions have less than 1 percent chance of death.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't answer the question.
    If you are visiting an elderly person with an underlying condition its risky no matter what. Use proximity. Wash your hands avoid touching. It's really simple actually. Why you dont understand that, I have no idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are visiting an elderly person with an underlying condition its risky no matter what. Use proximity. Wash your hands avoid touching. It's really simple actually. Why you dont understand that, I have no idea.
    You failed to understand the question. It's really simple actually. Why you failed to understand it I have no idea.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You failed to understand the question. It's really simple actually. Why you failed to understand it I have no idea.
    I answered both. Just read

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You did not.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chumpdump still triggered. Sad. Day after day. You pop up to try and get me. L after L after L. On each thread. I now understand why you do not get statistics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chumpdump still triggered. Sad. Day after day. You pop up to try and get me. L after L after L. On each thread. I now understand why you do not get statistics.
    I simply asked a question and you turn into a middle schooler.

Show me your statistical model where the virus doesn't spread.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I simply asked a question and you turn into a middle schooler.

Show me your statistical model where the virus doesn't spread.
    Lolololololilolololil you mean like show you a statistical model of a living organism going extinct? Are you really trying to be dumb?

Or is this your cue to use another yahoo article as scientific evidence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lolololololilolololil you mean like show you a statistical model of a living organism going extinct? Are you really trying to be dumb?

Or is this your cue to use another yahoo article as scientific evidence?
    Apparently this is your cue to only talk about me again.

So the virus is still spreading in spite of you.

OK.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We can now read the Imperial College report on COVID-19 that led to the extreme measures we've seen in the US this week. Read it; it's terrifying. I'll offer a summary in this thread; please correct me if I've gotten it wrong.https://imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

The Imperial College team plugged infection and death rates from China/Korea/Italy into epidemic modeling software and ran a simulation: what happens if the US does absolutely nothing -- if we treat COVID-19 like the flu, go about our business, and let the virus take its course?

Here's what would happen: 80% of Americans would get the disease. 0.9% of them would die. Between 4 and 8 percent of all Americans over the age of 70 would die. 2.2 million Americans would die from the virus itself.

It gets worse. People with severe COVID-19 need to be put on ventilators. 50% of those on ventilators still die, but the other 50% live. But in an unmitigated epidemic, the need for ventilators would be 30 times the number available in the US. Nearly 100% of these patients die.

So the actual death toll from the virus would be closer to 4 million Americans -- in a span of 3 months. 8-15% of all Americans over 70 would die.

How many is 4 million people? It's more Americans than have died all at once from anything, ever. It's the population of Los Angeles. It's 4 times the number of Americans who died in the Civil War...on both sides combined. It's two-thirds as many people as died in the Holocaust.

Americans make up 4.4% of the world's population. If we extrapolate these numbers to the rest of the world (warning: MOE is high here), this gives us 90 million deaths globally from COVID-19, in 3-6 months. 15 Holocausts. 1.5 times as many people as died in all of World War II.

Now, of course countries won't stand by and do nothing. So the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, this time assuming a "mitigation" strategy: all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing.

This mitigation strategy is what you've seen a lot of people talking about when they say we should "flatten the curve": try to slow the spread of the disease to the people most likely to die from it, to avoid overwhelming hospitals.

And it does flatten the curve -- but not nearly enough. The death rate from the disease is cut in half, but it still kills 1.1 million Americans all by itself. The peak need for ventilators falls by two-thirds, but it still exceeds the number of ventilators in the US by 8 times.

That leaves the actual death toll in the US at right around 2 million deaths. The population of Houston. Two Civil Wars. One-third of the Holocaust. Globally, 45 million people die: 7.5 Holocausts, 3/4 of World War II. That's what happens if we rely on mitigation & common sense.

Finally, the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, assuming a "suppression" strategy: isolate symptomatic cases, quarantine their family members, social distancing for the whole population, all public gatherings/most workplaces shut down, schools and universities close.

Suppression works! The death rate in the US peaks 3 weeks from now at a few thousand deaths, then goes down. We hit but don't exceed the number of available ventilators. The nightmarish death tolls from the rest of the study disappear.

But here's the catch: if we EVER relax suppression before a vaccine is administered to the entire population, COVID-19 comes right back and kills millions of Americans in a few months, the same as before.

After the 1st suppression period ends in July, we could probably lift restrictions for a month, followed by 2 more months of suppression, in a repeating pattern without triggering an outbreak or overwhelming the ventilator supply. Staggering breaks by city could do a bit better.

But we simply cannot EVER allow the virus to spread throughout the entire population in the way other viruses do, because it is just too deadly. If lots of people we know end up getting COVID-19, it means millions of Americans are dying. It simply can't be allowed to happen.

How quickly will a vaccine be here? Last week three separate research teams announced they had developed vaccines. Yesterday, one of them (with FDA approval) injected its vaccine into a live person, without waiting for animal testing. That's an extreme measure, but necessary.

Now, though, they have to monitor the test subject for 14 months to make sure the vaccine is safe. This part can't be rushed: if you're going to inoculate all humans, you have to make absolutely sure the vaccine itself won't kill them. It probably won't, but you have to be sure.

Assuming the vaccine is safe and effective, it will still take several months to produce enough to inoculate the global population. For this reason, the Imperial College team estimated it will be about 18 months until the vaccine is available.

During those 18 months, things are going to be very difficult and very scary. Our economy and society will be disrupted in profound ways. And if suppression actually works, it will feel like we're doing all this for nothing, because infection and death rates will remain low.

It's easy to get people to come together in common sacrifice in the middle of a war. It's very hard to get them to do so in a pandemic that looks invisible precisely because suppression methods are working. But that's exactly what we're going to have to do. /end

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could deal with two months on and two months of downtime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But did they consult tholdren?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But did they consult tholdren?
    Lol.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    25 known cases in bexar county so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    475 dead in Italy just yesterday. Not total, just for yesterday and the pick has yet to come there.

Respect all the precaution measures, people. Everyone has a role and responsability in controling that virus and not infecting others.

A 38 year old infected guy died in France yesterday and more than a hundred under 40 are in reanimation so don't think you're safe if you're not an old fart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus Christ. 45 million people dead globally?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am thinking of 3 to 6 months of bad happening and probably 18 to 24 months before things get back to normal. The hardest hit cities in Texas will probably be Corpus and San Antonio due to having large population of elderly either way it’s going to suck for awhile.

Stay Safe Everyone.

Thread Information