Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    cars have utility in our daily lives. i know when i buy a car im going to get meaningful use out of it.
    Killing your own food is a meaningful use. I still have hog in my freezer from my last hunt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Killing your own food is a meaningful use. I still have hog in my freezer from my last hunt.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    when someone brings up the possibility of dying in a car crash, the fact that your car is useful to you on a daily basis is a logical counterpoint. if cars had no utility and were still death machines, would be a pretty good argument not to get them

i've mentioned in more than on post now that my argument doesnt apply to people who buy guns for entertainment purposes (because i would consider that meaningful use/utility)... but rather for people who believe they're going to be a real live john mcclain one day
    disregard my last post....just read your comment.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That's when they throw out the caveat about cars having a purpose. Therefore all you need is a purpose, then a gun makes sense. Of course they think they should be the judge of whether or not you have a purpose for having a gun so I need to be the judge on whether or not they have a purpose for having a car. Unlike them, I have the Second Amendment supporting me.
    Yep, I've heard the rascal point of view before. It's not even whether or not the gun owner has a purpose. The point that's always brought up is the negative actions of firearms like suicide and mass killings. And I say those two because I don't think rascal is dumb enough to believe that a good chunk of people accidentally kill themselves with their own handgun. To the very very very small minority who that dubious distinction belongs to, they would have been "Darwin awarded" by something else anyway. The thinking behind that argument is that guns are the reason behind the suicides or mass killings. IMO, the reason someone commits suicide has been determined way before the trigger is pulled; just so happens that the gun is there and is efficient. But if it wasn't there, they would just jump off a cliff or whatever else they could think of. Same with the mass shootings. When someone is bent on destruction, they'll find a way and usually they order the firearms, ammunition, etc AFTER they've pre-determined their plan. After the fact, people are always going to go "hurrr durrr gun owners, CIS white males, Trump=Hitler, I'm a f@ggot, etc" when in reality these guys were going to carry it out no matter what. See the Nice, France incident. There's no doubt guns are more efficient, but the whole gun debate and deciding what should be sold on the market is a different argument. But rascal's notion of " I'm scared because the chance of me shooting myself or someone else is too high so I want to ruin it for everyone else " is stale and old, imo

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    cars have utility in our daily lives. i know when i buy a car im going to get meaningful use out of it.
    i agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, to be clear, i never said people dont have the right to have these guns, so i dont know why the "there's no second amendment right far cars" shtick has come up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've mentioned in more than on post now that my argument doesnt apply to people who buy guns for entertainment purposes (because i would consider that meaningful use/utility)... but rather for people who believe they're going to be a real live john mcclain one day
    Fair enough.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, to be clear, i never said people dont have the right to have these guns, so i dont know why the "there's no second amendment right far cars" shtick has come up
    It's DMC's generic reply when he hasn't actually read anything you posted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The same en y whose job it is to regulate what kinds of firearms you can buy. I'm sure I can find a way to use an automatic. But it has been decided that I shouldn't be able to purchase one. That line will probably move in the near future.
    There are also a number of cars that aren't street legal. That isn't what I was talking about. I was talking about average people buying readily available firearms, not get into a legalistic argument about the 2A.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These rice burners with fart mufflers are the car equivalent of AR-15s.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're more likely to be killed in a car accident than struck by lightning but I bet you don't stand outside while it's storming - but you will drive during rush hour. That's because it's situational, odds change based on a lot of factors, not just a national average of events normalized and smoothed with Savitzky–Golay. You seem to think everyone has the same odds of being killed by their own gun. So if I had a gun locked in a safe buried in concrete, the odds of me being killed by that are the same as someone who keeps 20 loaded and lying around with chimpanzees running around.
    Your logic is dumb. No reason for me to be standing outside during a storm. Lots of reasons to have to be driving during rush hour, like going back and forth from work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah if my AR15 could drive me to work everyday back and forth, Id own 2

the silly arguments gun toddlers make

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it isn't. It is to justify the blood thirsty thrill of the hunt to kill something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure you do. The leader of the cold dead hands crew showed up to the party.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't remember asking you for your opinion though. Why is it a crime around here to take anything seriously? Is that the universal "I win" card by insisting the other person cares?

It seems to not dawn on some of you that the reason some others would want to have guns is because they don't trust you. It has nothing to do with the virus, is it has everything to do with how stupid people are and the things they are willing to do in moments of panic - which large groups of ignorant people are prone to do.
    these same "intellectuals" will always talk about how dumb the other side is (I assume Spurminator is liberal). Those big stupidhead Trump, orangeman guise

But whenever you form a coherent argument against them, they'll bow out and play the "lol trolled!!!1" card. they're used to dealing with TheGreatYacht types tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your logic is dumb. No reason for me to be standing outside during a storm. Lots of reasons to have to be driving during rush hour, like going back and forth from work.
    Considering suicide in your stats is intellectually dishonest - especially when you use those stats to show how owning a gun is detrimental. If I shoot myself intentionally, I accomplished my immediate goal. I could have used pills or a host of other methods like putting a belt on a door knob and going out like Robin Williams.

If I accidentally shoot myself, I am doing the world a favor by either getting rid of an idiot who was reckless with a gun or at least avoiding shooting someone else accidentally.

If someone else accidentally shoots me with my own gun, somewhere along the way I was careless enough to allow them to handle it without showing clear.

If someone else intentionally shoots me with my own gun, I would probably be a cop. I'm sure you think it's ok for cops to have guns.

Either way, the purpose of my gun is, to me, as important as the purpose of your car, to you. The difference is I have a 2A right to own mine. So to the supreme court and the cons ution, it's even more important than you car.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, I've heard the rascal point of view before. It's not even whether or not the gun owner has a purpose. The point that's always brought up is the negative actions of firearms like suicide and mass killings. And I say those two because I don't think rascal is dumb enough to believe that a good chunk of people accidentally kill themselves with their own handgun. To the very very very small minority who that dubious distinction belongs to, they would have been "Darwin awarded" by something else anyway. The thinking behind that argument is that guns are the reason behind the suicides or mass killings. IMO, the reason someone commits suicide has been determined way before the trigger is pulled; just so happens that the gun is there and is efficient. But if it wasn't there, they would just jump off a cliff or whatever else they could think of. Same with the mass shootings. When someone is bent on destruction, they'll find a way and usually they order the firearms, ammunition, etc AFTER they've pre-determined their plan. After the fact, people are always going to go "hurrr durrr gun owners, CIS white males, Trump=Hitler, I'm a f@ggot, etc" when in reality these guys were going to carry it out no matter what. See the Nice, France incident. There's no doubt guns are more efficient, but the whole gun debate and deciding what should be sold on the market is a different argument. But rascal's notion of " I'm scared because the chance of me shooting myself or someone else is too high so I want to ruin it for everyone else " is stale and old, imo
    If I had no control over my own actions, if I was just a bot in the scheme and the odds played out like a roulette wheel, then Rascal would have a point. However, I have control over the mitigating cir stances surrounding accidental discharge, suicide and the like. So that control is the buffer that creates the completely different reality than what Rascal is preaching. Basically, we aren't 340 million average Americans. We are 340 million unique Americans who you can find a few metrics for, average them and then using a flawed approach, apply the average to the individual.

Imagine a room half full of tall people and half full of kids. The average size for shoes would be somewhere in the middle, so to tell an individual in the room that the odds are they wear that averaged size is faulty since it fits no one in that room. In reality, no one in the room could wear the average size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I had no control over my own actions, if I was just a bot in the scheme and the odds played out like a roulette wheel, then Rascal would have a point. However, I have control over the mitigating cir stances surrounding accidental discharge, suicide and the like. So that control is the buffer that creates the completely different reality than what Rascal is preaching. Basically, we aren't 340 million average Americans. We are 340 million unique Americans who you can find a few metrics for, average them and then using a flawed approach, apply the average to the individual.

Imagine a room half full of tall people and half full of kids. The average size for shoes would be somewhere in the middle, so to tell an individual in the room that the odds are they wear that averaged size is faulty since it fits no one in that room. In reality, no one in the room could wear the average size.
    Nobody is arguing that there aren’t responsible gun owners. Nobody is arguing that you can reduce the rate of accidental deaths by being a responsible gun owner.

The argument needs to be around ensuring irresponsible gun owners don’t have access to guns. This is where your interpretation of the 2nd gets in the way of public safety. SCOTUS has already ruled limits on gun ownership are cons utional. The debate now is simply where those limits are set. You clumsily fall back on the “shall not be infringed”, “cold dead hands arguments” while being seemingly incapable of understanding the complexity of the issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody is arguing that there aren’t responsible gun owners. Nobody is arguing that you can reduce the rate of accidental deaths by being a responsible gun owner.
    The argument is that I have a fixed probability of being killed by my own gun based on the averaged data. If I can "reduce the rate of accidental deaths..." by my own action, then that's a faulty argument. That's in my control. What someone else decides to do so that I might one day need a gun for self defense, that's not in my control. I've always preached here about doing what's in my control to do. Liberals often rest on "ought" but the world doesn't work on that principle. It's only a talking point. I instead rest on "is". What is is what I prep for, not what ought to be.
    The argument needs to be around ensuring irresponsible gun owners don’t have access to guns. This is where your interpretation of the 2nd gets in the way of public safety.
    It's not my interpretation but the courts'.
    SCOTUS has already ruled limits on gun ownership are cons utional. The debate now is simply where those limits are set. You clumsily fall back on the “shall not be infringed”, “cold dead hands arguments” while being seemingly incapable of understanding the complexity of the issue.
    You're arguing against a whole other discussion. This one is about whether or not I am more likely to be killed by my own gun than use it for self defense. My argument is that you cannot consider individual examples based on probability generated from an entire nation.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone is a responsible gun owner until the accident happens.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    States with higher rates of gun ownership have higher suicide rates than states with low gun ownership, whereas non–firearm suicide rates are comparable, indicating that firearm access drives overall suicide rates.

Thread Information