Page 102 of 115 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2866
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't you guys get tired of trying to come up with all these convoluted trade scenarios because the team is in cap ? They need to get the out of cap , and then they can float some trades that actually make sense. Maybe pick up some guys that you'd actually want to have on a multi-year deal, instead of constantly having to think about how long you'll be stuck with their salary.
    Yes because teams are just trying to trade away players that are on good deals.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's in cap ? Not SA.

We can always count on you to say ignorant , just for the sake of arguing. Mommy must not have given you enough attention when you were little.

They have been in cap for years. They get out of it AFTER this upcoming season... IF they don't take on contracts like Wiggins as ballast in deals for LMA or DDR. You can talk about DDR opting out, if and when he opts out. Right this moment, they're capped and have to match everything.

IF they try and trade LMA, or S&T DeRozan, they almost certainly wind up taking back longer contracts that eat into next year's flexibility. And if DeRozan does opt out, they wind up, what, $14M under the cap? That will get them a mid-tier guy and probably commit them to paying Forbes and Poeltl, just because they have Bird rights. That eats into the next year's flexibility. And if they do wind up taking on some contract like Wiggins', that eats into it too. And there's always the possibility that the market is looking soft, so DDR opts in, hoping that ratings come back and COVID dies down, and next year will bring a better deal - which means that all these trades involve taking back salary and longer contracts.

Besides all that, you know that what I was saying is that I want them to keep from ing up the huge flexibility they'll have next year when the FA class is much stronger. They may not be able to attract top-tier FA's, but we know for sure they can't if they don't have max cap space.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes because teams are just trying to trade away players that are on good deals.

No... but if you have cap space, you might get one of those if you also take a problem contract like Wiggins' off their hands. You can't do that when you're capped.

ing mortals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF a deal like LMA+11 for Wiggins+2 happened, wouldn't that put the Spurs into the tax if DDR opted in?

A LMA+11 deal would bump the Spurs salaries up over $10 million between Wiggins and the salary difference between 2 and 11.

With Wiggins, #2, DDR, Murray, Gay, Mills, White, Walker, Johnson, Samanic, and DeMarre's Dead Money that's $ 126.15914 for only 10 players by my bad math.

The luxury tax is 132.627

They couldn't even keep Lyles in this scenario, and even renouncing Marco and Forbes, I don't think they could keep Poeltl on his 5.08787 qualifying offer without going into the tax.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF a deal like LMA+11 for Wiggins+2 happened, wouldn't that put the Spurs into the tax if DDR opted in?

A LMA+11 deal would bump the Spurs salaries up over $10 million between Wiggins and the salary difference between 2 and 11.

With Wiggins, #2, DDR, Murray, Gay, Mills, White, Walker, Johnson, Samanic, and DeMarre's Dead Money that's $ 126.15914 for only 10 players by my bad math.

The luxury tax is 132.627

They couldn't even keep Lyles in this scenario, and even renouncing Marco and Forbes, I don't think they could keep Poeltl on his 5.08787 qualifying offer without going into the tax.
    I don't think they do the wiggins deal if demar stays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can always count on you to say ignorant , just for the sake of arguing. Mommy must not have given you enough attention when you were little.

They have been in cap for years. They get out of it AFTER this upcoming season... IF they don't take on contracts like Wiggins as ballast in deals for LMA or DDR. You can talk about DDR opting out, if and when he opts out. Right this moment, they're capped and have to match everything.

IF they try and trade LMA, or S&T DeRozan, they almost certainly wind up taking back longer contracts that eat into next year's flexibility. And if DeRozan does opt out, they wind up, what, $14M under the cap? That will get them a mid-tier guy and probably commit them to paying Forbes and Poeltl, just because they have Bird rights. That eats into the next year's flexibility. And if they do wind up taking on some contract like Wiggins', that eats into it too. And there's always the possibility that the market is looking soft, so DDR opts in, hoping that ratings come back and COVID dies down, and next year will bring a better deal - which means that all these trades involve taking back salary and longer contracts.

Besides all that, you know that what I was saying is that I want them to keep from ing up the huge flexibility they'll have next year when the FA class is much stronger. They may not be able to attract top-tier FA's, but we know for sure they can't if they don't have max cap space.
    Okay first of all take your political somewhere else. There's a whole forum for that, and every once in a while someone will post a thread here where we'll talk about it. Outside of that, I don't hold anyone's political views against them (well except ducks). You can extend me that courtesy or not, but if you don't, I just won't engage with you.

Anyway, no. SA isn't and hasn't been in cap . That's not a term that can apply easily to NBA teams, since most teams are constantly over the cap. Being so is not restrictive like it is in the NFL. The goal of a team isn't to be under the cap very often. It's something they should do for short windows to add talent and then they should stay over the cap for several more years until they need to drop down strategically to get more talent. The Spurs did that successfully in 2015 and 2016 and gave themselves the option of doing so in 2017. In 2018, the Spurs purposefully chose to stay above the cap by trading for DeRozan rather than expiring deals and to move Green instead of Gasol. So last year was the only year that SA has been in a position where they might've preferred cap space and didn't have a reasonable path to get it. So they chose to re-up Gay for two years to give themselves a clearer window for space in 2021.

Anyway, the Spurs can make any of these trades by themselves and still end up with a max slot, especially if Murray is part of the outgoing package. Even that win-now Holiday trade combined with that other win-now Tucker trade provides more cap space for next summer than the team is currently projected to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OMG SIX MORE DAYS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people forget about the Celtics. They have 3 first rounders and Hayward. They were supposedly interested in Aldridge. LA and Mills for Hayward, if he opts in which is likely, might get you 2 firsts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am really excited for this draft. If the worst possible talent available to draft is Patrick Williams, this will be a good draft. My dream scenario is getting Isaac Okoro. If not Devin Vassel will be a great snag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't be bummed if we stay at 11. Drafting Nesmith is a big ing W imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, it should be Murray + 11th to move up and draft Halli/Hayes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people forget about the Celtics. They have 3 first rounders and Hayward. They were supposedly interested in Aldridge. LA and Mills for Hayward, if he opts in which is likely, might get you 2 firsts
    Hayward is trash, at this point in his career. Can’t stay healthy, and has a contract that, for his health issues, is arguably worse than Wiggins.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayward is trash, at this point in his career. Can’t stay healthy, and has a contract that, for his health issues, is arguably worse than Wiggins.
    tru but hayward has only 1yr left on his contract and boston could offer 2 firsts. That make them an interesting alternative option.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, it should be Murray + 11th to move up and draft Halli/Hayes
    as much as im not a fan of djm in this trade spurs gives too much. id much rather try to trade murray without our pick to get hali. Sth like with det: ddr/murray/41 for snell/7.
    Last edited by spurspl; 11-12-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I won't be bummed if we stay at 11. Drafting Nesmith is a big ing W imho.
    Interesting. To me that's a high floor/low ceiling type of pick. There's an argument for that type of approach, though it's not how I want to proceed. Do you see Nesmith as more than a great shooter?

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. To me that's a high floor/low ceiling type of pick. There's an argument for that type of approach, though it's not how I want to proceed. Do you see Nesmith as more than a great shooter?
    even if he becomes "only" a great shooter and stays healthy thats a great value for 11th pick in a weak draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is likely Better by himself than anyone at 6 will be. No way you move White + 11 to move 5 spots.

White/Toppin or White/Neismith is clearly better than Patrick William

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hayward is still a better player than Wiggins and only on a 1-year deal. If you end up with 11 and 14 or 11, 26 and 30 you can easily make another trade to move up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think Herro with defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think Herro with defense
    I wish Nesmith was part of the combine. Strong feeling his true wingspan is 7'0"+ making him a perfect size for a small forward. He could also be developed as a strong defender. He's got the tools.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chad Ford Chadfordinsider

Impressive wingspans
    Isaiah Stewart, Wash, +10.5” (6’ 7.25” ht, 7’ 4.75” wing)
    Paul Eboua, Italy +9.5 (6’ 6” ht - 7’ 3.5” wing)
    Udoka Azubuike, Kansas +9.25 (6’ 10” ht, 7’ 7.25” wing)
    Robert Woodard III, Mississippi State + 8.5” (6’ 5.5” ht - 7’ 2” wing)

6:19pm · 11 Nov 2020 · TweetDeck
    Gotta feel for Azubuike a bit-- a player in the past with his measurements, his stats, & his team's winning percentage would be a lock to go in the lottery, but in the three point era there's a chance he doesn't get picked until the second round.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zeus is a clown.......that’s all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think Herro with defense
    If he was Herro with defense, he’d go top 3 in this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he was Hero with defense, he’d go top 3 in this draft.
    The only reason he wasn't was because he had gotten injured. Imagine if he continued the same production throughout the season. His numbers would have been historic.

Thread Information