Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115
Results 2,851 to 2,864 of 2864
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mean, yeah, in the sense that it is a metric to compare those two specific players. But like is that a point in Poke's general column? No. The Spurs shouldn't worry about who they're not drafting. Would Poke be a good pick? I don't know what they think but, "Well he's younger than Toppin" probably isn't something they're using to answer that question.
    It was a direct response to someone saying Poku is 3 or 4 years away, as if that's a shortcoming for the youngest player in the draft. It had nothing to do with the Spurs drafting him. It was general draft talk.... And talk about a silly obsession-- Poku himself says his nickname is Poku, his teammates and his coach called him Poku, and his Instagram account is called Poku20... You're literally the only person who calls him Poke, because you thinks it's a clever dig. Cheers to your cleverness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is Toppin being 22 such an issue to many people right now? It wasn't an issue when TD was 22 and the #1 overall pick who went on to win 5 rings and be the GOAT PF. , it wasn't that much of an issue when Derrick White was 23 and went in the first round. I mean, I know there are more and more players doing the one and done deal in college or declaring themselves for the draft before they hit 21, but I'm surprised to see so many people make an issue of being a 22 year old rookie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is Toppin being 22 such an issue to many people right now? It wasn't an issue when TD was 22 and the #1 overall pick who went on to win 5 rings and be the GOAT PF. , it wasn't that much of an issue when Derrick White was 23 and went in the first round. I mean, I know there are more and more players doing the one and done deal in college or declaring themselves for the draft before they hit 21, but I'm surprised to see so many people make an issue of being a 22 year old rookie.
    Ageism. People are obsessed with potential when you're a young age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a direct response to someone saying Poku is 3 or 4 years away, as if that's a shortcoming for the youngest player in the draft.
    It's not normal for draft picks to be three or four years away, even when they're 18. I actually agree with DAF86 than if he's good, he'll show it way before then. But what I don't agree with is comparing him to another prospect who has nothing to do with him as an attempt to justify waiting.

And talk about a silly obsession-- Poku himself says his nickname is Poku, his teammates and his coach called him Poku, and his Instagram account is called Poku20... You're literally the only person who calls him Poke, because you thinks it's a clever dig.
    Wait, how is that a dig? Is poke a slur or even an insult in some culture I don't know about. I call Poeltl 'Poe' and Samanic 'Sam' too. , I called Cunningham 'Cun', much to the dismay of multiple Spurs posters. None of those abbreviations and the many others I use are meant to be insults. I also don't really care about using approved abbreviations or nicknames. , I call Toppin Obitops (haven't on this forum yet, but it'll come if SA drafts him). I'm gonna chalk up your offense to some factor of word "poke" than I don't know. Otherwise, it seems like you're just showing your oversensitivity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ageism. People are obsessed with potential when you're a young age.
    Exactly people want to make it seem like folks improve mainly due to aging when in reality exposure to coaching, specifically high-level coaching is what determines a developmental curve. Toppin is basically the same age as Hachimura, and I've yet to hear anyone talk about how Rui is a finished product despite the dude having a year of actual NBA coaching

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly people want to make it seem like folks improve mainly due to aging when in reality exposure to coaching, specifically high-level coaching is what determines a developmental curve. Toppin is basically the same age as Hachimura, and I've yet to hear anyone talk about how Rui is a finished product despite the dude having a year of actual NBA coaching
    Don't forget being a late bloomer is a factor in this too. See: Timmy, D White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget being a late bloomer is a factor in this too. See: Timmy, D White.
    How exactly was Timmy a late bloomer?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Statistically younger players do better in the NBA than older counterparts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly was Timmy a late bloomer?
    He didn't start basketball until he was in 9th grade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't start basketball until he was in 9th grade.
    And he was pretty much the consensus #1 pick by the time he started his sop re year in college.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he was pretty much the consensus #1 pick by the time he started his sop re year in college.
    I'm simply answering your question on why he is a late bloomer lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And while Duncan was a 4 year guy he finished college at age 21.

I seem to remember Street & Smith or Sporting News mocking him in their pre-season rag as the #1 guy when he was 19.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. Porzingis doesn't have Pokusevski playmaking skills nor overall impact on the defensive end.

How much have you seen of Pokusevski to say it is a hipster pick? What makes choosing him a hipster move over picking anyone else? That he didn't play college ball?
    Hipster pick meaning a guy no one's ever scouted seriously and can't assess whether he's a good investment because hardly anyone ever looked closely and hardly anyone ever knows how his game translates in a more physical league. How does college ball even factor in? It's always going to be a crap shoot. How many Ginobilis, Jokics turn out to be bona fide stars? Have you counted? For every Ginobili and a Nikola Jokic you also have Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Zarko Cabarkapa, Marko Todorovic, Viktor Khryapa, Sergei Monya, Yaroslav Korolev, etc etc.

The draft is what it is. It's always going to be a crap shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hipster pick meaning a guy no one's ever scouted seriously and can't assess whether he's a good investment because hardly anyone ever looked closely and hardly anyone ever knows how his game translates in a more physical league. How does college ball even factor in? It's always going to be a crap shoot. How many Ginobilis, Jokics turn out to be bona fide stars? Have you counted? For every Ginobili and a Nikola Jokic you also have Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Zarko Cabarkapa, Marko Todorovic, Viktor Khryapa, Sergei Monya, Yaroslav Korolev, etc etc.

The draft is what it is. It's always going to be a crap shoot.
    I watched pretty much every game he played. They are all on Youtube. Chances are every GM in the league did the same, tbh.

Thread Information