Page 22 of 115 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is the perfect video of Precious showing good and bad. 40+ minute video. Captures every play he's involved in.

https://youtu.be/YVi5x0TCOqc
    I have a hard time watching that channel's videos because of the stutter/frame drops or whatever is going on with that guy's capture set-up. I don't know if he's rocking a Celeron in his eMachines or just how he's outputting it but it gives me a headache.

Anyway

I watched 5 complete games of Achiuwa: @ Oregon, vs SMU, @ SMU, vs Wichita State, @ Houston.

That's all I have because of the conference they played in (and their unremarkable 62nd SOS), they just weren't on TV that much. I had more of FSU, and complemented that by watching condensed 10 minute versions of all their games on the ACC youtube channel. Looks like I could probably find that for Memphis but don't know I'll bother until after I watch some other people.

I like him more than when I had only watched the draft scouting videos but I still see him more as a big than as a capable wing player or creator, especially on offense.

Two players came to mind watching him for me.

1. more muscular Nic Claxton. Not just the hair, but Claxton was also a big long guy who could move his feet on the perimeter and challenge shots while handling a little in the open court and some potential for shooting. Passing for Claxton probably more advanced, slightly taller and longer, but less sturdy body-wise.

2. a GOOD version of Luka Samanic. He was basically what people hope Luka can turn into. 6-9/10 guy (except with a good wingspan) who can move his feet and defend, while having a first step to attack with an okay handle, and having an NBA body with NBA strength and plays with a high motor and 'give-a-damn' level. And unlike Luka, nobody is pretending that he's going to shoot like Davis Bertans. Samanic is probably still inferior to Achiuwa's strength and physique, still has t-rex arms, and still can't play defense like Achiuwa (and neither can shoot reliably).

I wouldn't say Achiuwa is a perfect defender either. He got taken from the 3-point line to the rim and scored on just like everyone else, including what might have been 3 times in the first half against Oregon if I remember right (I wasn't writing it down). Still good for a switching big though.

But to the offensive side: sure, he didn't get many opportunities to do more perimeter actions, but I didn't see a whole lot of perimeter oriented skill. His handle was okay in the open court and good for a big man, but wasn't remarkable in the halfcourt. His passing was just okay for a big, didn't look like he had that much potential as a secondary or tertiary decision maker or could run a pick and roll effectively. His first step was good, for a big against blah college talent. His shooting was all over the place with his form that needs a lot of work.

He's also not that young. He's older than Samanic. He's almost 2 full year older than Patrick Williams (SEP-19-99 to AUG-06-01). Compared to Williams he might have more lively feet, and taller with better length. But in the whole dribble-pass-shoot aspect of offense I think he's quite a bit behind Williams despite his age.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would also add that I'd much rather have Claxton than Samanic. Claxton dominated the g-league and Samanic is still trying to figure out how to be an above average efficiency player there. Claxton is about 8 months older.

Samanic vs Claxton per 36 g-league

FGA 16.1 - 16.0
    FG% 43.2 - 65.9
    3PA 5.8 - 3.4
    3P% 31.1 - 55.6
    2P% 50.0 - 68.7
    FTA 2.7 - 4.0
    FT% 77.1 - 76.2
    PTS 19.2 - 28.3
    REB 9.9 - 12.6
    AST 1.7 - 2.5
    BLK 1.0 - 2.1
    STL 1.0 - 1.3
    TOV 3.9 (!) - 1.3

PER 12.6 - 32.3

So my comparing Achiuwa to Claxton, who was the first pick of the second round is not an insult.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched like 17min and it seems like he gets his shot blocked alot.
    I agree but what i look for are the moves. Getting blocked is probably all about iq and timing and he just started playing ball in 8th grade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would also add that I'd much rather have Claxton than Samanic. Claxton dominated the g-league and Samanic is still trying to figure out how to be an above average efficiency player there. Claxton is about 8 months older.

Samanic vs Claxton per 36 g-league

FGA 16.1 - 16.0
    FG% 43.2 - 65.9
    3PA 5.8 - 3.4
    3P% 31.1 - 55.6
    2P% 50.0 - 68.7
    FTA 2.7 - 4.0
    FT% 77.1 - 76.2
    PTS 19.2 - 28.3
    REB 9.9 - 12.6
    AST 1.7 - 2.5
    BLK 1.0 - 2.1
    STL 1.0 - 1.3
    TOV 3.9 (!) - 1.3

PER 12.6 - 32.3

So my comparing Achiuwa to Claxton, who was the first pick of the second round is not an insult.
    Thanks for at least taking your time to watch his film as I have to form your opinion. Much respect to you.

If you dig in my post history, you will find that I was screaming about Nic Claxton during last year's draft process ALMOST as much as i am now with Precious. Nic was my boy. And i agree with your assessment that Precious is similar. I like Precious better because of his built and athleticism, I think those two things go a long way in the NBA vs hoping someone would bulk up like Giannis or Robert Swift or LeBron.

As far as age goes, its hardly something Ive looked at in players who either have a polished game (like Derrick White) or started basketball late (Pascal Siakam).
    Last edited by Dejounte; 05-14-2020 at 05:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason I believe he is more of a wing is if you watch that 40 minute video (for those who can), most of his tendencies are from attacking with the ball from outside the 3 pt line. Natural bigs dont normally do that. They get the ball in the post and take 2-3 steps towards the basket to lay it up.

Btw check out the move at 25:08
    Last edited by Dejounte; 05-14-2020 at 06:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other thing other people dont check is the person themselves. Spurs put a high emphasis on character. If you watch his one to one interviews he sounds very intelligent and coachable.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just hope all the midgets are gone by the time we pick.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched it great defender but Offense has a way to go not a hater but he is not a top 12 pick. This draft is starting to look real weak I’ll say it again if we can trade our 11th pick for someone 1st next year I am all for it just as long as we know will get. 5 to 10 pick.

I would trade LMA or DEROZZ for a top 15 pick in 2021 and what ever ty one year fillers we need to match contracts. This goes without saying we need to do the David and Timmy and just Tank like New York, Chicago do.
    Remind me again...how long has NY been tanking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Warriors high on (Onyeka) Okongwu? Mike Schmitz’ comparison of Bam (Adebayo) and Onyeka is really on point. He can immediately take Looney's spot and develop into a beast. Ton of potential.

Believe it or not, the Warriors are actually higher on Southern Cal’s Okongwu than James Wiseman. If they end up taking a big man in the top five, it’ll almost definitely be the 6-foot-9 Okongwu. His game is well-suited for the Warriors’ style. Unlike Wiseman, Okongwu can shuttle between multiple positions with ease.

If the Warriors get the No. 4 or 5 pick, they’ll definitely consider Okongwu. I think that, for a 19-year-old, he has a relatively high floor. He has All-Star potential, but, at worst, he projects as a solid NBA starter for years to come. That’s great value in what’s widely considered a weak draft.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/warriors...e-15268517.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other thing other people dont check is the person themselves. Spurs put a high emphasis on character. If you watch his one to one interviews he sounds very intelligent and coachable.
    I just watched an interview with Anthony Edwards and holy it is night and day. Dude is going to be a headcase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm.... I'd rather have a backcourt of Murray + Haliburton than a backcourt of Murray + Forbes tbh. Plus he seems like Spurs material.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just watched an interview with Anthony Edwards and holy it is night and day. Dude is going to be a headcase.
    Check out the video of him rapping in the car.

Def not Spurs material. Not because of rap, but the content of his song. I didn't find out he was a early draftee until after I saw him rap.

Good luck to him and whoever becomes his franchise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for at least taking your time to watch his film as I have to form your opinion. Much respect to you.

If you dig in my post history, you will find that I was screaming about Nic Claxton during last year's draft process ALMOST as much as i am now with Precious. Nic was my boy. And i agree with your assessment that Precious is similar. I like Precious better because of his built and athleticism, I think those two things go a long way in the NBA vs hoping someone would bulk up like Giannis or Robert Swift or LeBron.

As far as age goes, its hardly something Ive looked at in players who either have a polished game (like Derrick White) or started basketball late (Pascal Siakam).
    I liked Claxton a lot last year also, I had him with Thybulle and Clark as a guy I hoped they would take. Plus Nassir Little as an athletic project but had him lower.

I agree about the build and athleticism working in favor of prospects, part of why I love Williams and like Achiuwa. Some guys add strength and weight, some guys add strength but not a lot of weight, some guys add weight and not a lot of strength, some guys add neither. Being ahead of the game is a good thing, unlike waiting forever for Samanic to transform.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. And that comes into play with Williams for me. During one of his games the broadcasters were talking about interviewing him before the game and mentioned that when he was asked why he chose Florida State (he was a 5-star recruit and had many offers) ... he responded that he wanted to learn to play defense. That's the sort of thing to make the Spurs swoon if ever there was one.

Other games had broadcasters talking about how humble he was and such a hard worker. Fits right in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason I believe he is more of a wing is if you watch that 40 minute video (for those who can), most of his tendencies are from attacking with the ball from outside the 3 pt line. Natural bigs dont normally do that. They get the ball in the post and take 2-3 steps towards the basket to lay it up.

Btw check out the move at 25:08
    I think I understand why you see Kawhi similarities (or some other big wing like Giannis etc), but I don't see it fully translating because of balance. The moves at the timestamp here and the 9:35 one are ambitious and that's fine, but when I think of young Kawhi (and now Williams) I remember him being very balanced on his shot attempts. Even moving through the air, just straight up ad down bodywise and solid, repeatable form.

I don't necessarily see Achiuwa presently having that consistency of form. It's more erratic, even if he makes the shot. It's missing that moment when people realized, damn, Kawhi's mid-range game is money. Because each shot looks so sturdy. And Kawhi of course kept adding moves to his repertoire, adding the Kobe into his post-ups, adding the spins like Tony, etc etc. But it started with a great base of a shot that was sound body-wise and that he could repeat.

I might make a Williams video or a long series of posts linking to videos with timestamps to show why I see more scoring wing potential for Williams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs need an alpha scorer who aint afraid about their fg% bull ...

spurs have to many idiots on the team afraid to score or missing a play to get bench and barked at

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remind me again...how long has NY been tanking?
    We tank much better see Tim Duncan and David Robinson all gotten from TANKING.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I understand why you see Kawhi similarities (or some other big wing like Giannis etc), but I don't see it fully translating because of balance. The moves at the timestamp here and the 9:35 one are ambitious and that's fine, but when I think of young Kawhi (and now Williams) I remember him being very balanced on his shot attempts. Even moving through the air, just straight up ad down bodywise and solid, repeatable form.

I don't necessarily see Achiuwa presently having that consistency of form. It's more erratic, even if he makes the shot. It's missing that moment when people realized, damn, Kawhi's mid-range game is money. Because each shot looks so sturdy. And Kawhi of course kept adding moves to his repertoire, adding the Kobe into his post-ups, adding the spins like Tony, etc etc. But it started with a great base of a shot that was sound body-wise and that he could repeat.

I might make a Williams video or a long series of posts linking to videos with timestamps to show why I see more scoring wing potential for Williams.
    Everything about Kawhi's moves (at least early in his career) has always been robotic-like. Its why he didnt have many fans early on, because his game was neither flashy or exciting. It always looked like a player that is uncomfortable playing basketball but does his best imitation. I agree, because of this, that it has been a major help in being consistent with his methods. It seriously matches his personality the way he was so robotic back then. Makes you think if he had a mental disorder of some sort.

With Precious, i agree that he cant replicate that type of growth the way Kawhi did because Kawhi was this super robotic learner personality. My hope is that Precious has an upward trend like LeBron and Giannis did, using brute force to get their way on offense and then let other skills use that as a foundation to grow on. Honestly, Giannis was far from impressive during the first few years of his career... He was a serious turnover machine. However, the Bucks (Jason Kidd) had patience and actually forced the PG position on him and made him mature. If only we had years to wait on a raw prospect and waste seasons trying to develop his skills like that... It will never happen. But maybe thats what the Gleague is for. And maybe thats what we should expect going forward even if we land a top 3 pick, for the Spurs to utilize Gleague because using it makes them proud.

Not sure Ive said this before but Derrick White shares that in common with Kawhi. They both have the personality type to nitpick mistakes they made on defense or offense...and it registers on their brain to not do it again. You can see it in action when Derrick is playing, he zones out and thinks about the play that was made vs getting emotional over it. Derrick is a smart player in the vein of Timmy and Kawhi. Thats why I dont think age matters much when youre a methodical player like these three.

Do I think Precious has that type of bball IQ and passion? Time will tell... From his interviews with DX it seemed like he was seriously following what Mike Shmidtz was saying and wasnt just going "uh huh".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We tank much better see Tim Duncan and David Robinson all gotten from TANKING.
    There will be no more David Robinson’s or Tim Duncans in the draft, ever. You will never plug in a #1 pick and immediately improve improve 35 or 36 games like they did for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding Patrick Williams-- maybe i need to watch more but so far i just get serious Metu clone vibes. One of the main reasons I think Precious is more of a wing than Patrick is because of Patrick's upper torso which remains straight and upright position during the games. Its just a common posture/body figure that ive observed among most bigs.

I come away unimpressed because I see a player that does not really attack the basket from the perimeter. He gets it and dribbles one or two times, then the shot.

I would say one thing though and its that i would rather take a chance on a raw prospect with good size (Patrick) over vs good reputation prospect with average size (Vassell). Spurs need a home run and not a prospect destined to be a role player at his best.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’d have to jump into the top 4, AND be ahead of GS. Every mock simulation on Tankathon has them picking him if he’s on the board. If he’s gone, they select Okongwu.
    If Golden State trades for Rudy Gobert like they're rumored to, then they'll look somewhere else. I have even heard that they might be looking to trade down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget about Okongwu. Poor man's Wiseman?

He actually might slip to where the Spurs end up.
    I wouldn't mind having him either. He would be an excellent choice if we can't get Wiseman.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will be no more David Robinson’s or Tim Duncans in the draft, ever. You will never plug in a #1 pick and immediately improve improve 35 or 36 games like they did for us.
    Should be interesting to see how this post ages with the Warriors possibly proving you wrong within a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be interesting to see how this post ages with the Warriors possibly proving you wrong within a year.
    That won't be the draft pick, that will be the return of two All NBA players in Curry and Klay, plus the draft pick. GSs record was artificially deflated by injuries.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding Patrick Williams-- maybe i need to watch more but so far i just get serious Metu clone vibes. One of the main reasons I think Precious is more of a wing than Patrick is because of Patrick's upper torso which remains straight and upright position during the games. Its just a common posture/body figure that ive observed among most bigs.

I come away unimpressed because I see a player that does not really attack the basket from the perimeter. He gets it and dribbles one or two times, then the shot.

I would say one thing though and its that i would rather take a chance on a raw prospect with good size (Patrick) over vs good reputation prospect with average size (Vassell). Spurs need a home run and not a prospect destined to be a role player at his best.
    I'll probably put together a post with ton of timestamps that will address theses things. May not be convincing to you, but it will show why I'm high on him as being projectable as a scoring threat big wing.

Back to Achiuwa, I was going through some old mocks and saw how SI's Jeremy Woo had Bam Adebayo mocked to the Spurs at 29 as late as May 17. His stock of course jumped 15 spots in a month. There are some here who might anti-Precious because of where some places mock him now or maybe think he's only targetable as a trade-down candidate. I'm not one of them, I don't think taking Precious at 11 would be a reach or undesirable based on perceived draft stock. he might be gone before the Spurs even pick.

Thread Information