Page 23 of 115 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There will be no more David Robinson’s or Tim Duncans in the draft, ever. You will never plug in a #1 pick and immediately improve improve 35 or 36 games like they did for us.
    People said the same thing after we drafted David and what do you know we Tanked and got Timmy. My point is that some teams tank every year and some strategically tank for a certain players like we did for David and Timmy so 2021 draft is going to have some really good players and I HOPE that we could possibly trade our first this year for 2021 so we strategically Tank by playing all our new guys more then 5 minutes a game. And hoping that Forbes and DEROZZ are traded so Keldon and Walker and White and Murray, and Samanic can get real playing time to truly judge what we have as a building block.

Everything I have read is saying this is a very weak draft and next year is going to be one of the best in a long time so would love 2 high first rounders buy hey that’s just my thoughts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll probably put together a post with ton of timestamps that will address theses things. May not be convincing to you, but it will show why I'm high on him as being projectable as a scoring threat big wing.

Back to Achiuwa, I was going through some old mocks and saw how SI's Jeremy Woo had Bam Adebayo mocked to the Spurs at 29 as late as May 17. His stock of course jumped 15 spots in a month. There are some here who might anti-Precious because of where some places mock him now or maybe think he's only targetable as a trade-down candidate. I'm not one of them, I don't think taking Precious at 11 would be a reach or undesirable based on perceived draft stock. he might be gone before the Spurs even pick.
    Watched a couple more...

Beginning to see what you mean about the "sturdiness" of Pat's pull ups. It looks the same every time. His shoulders get compact which helps with the shot. Still, his lack of explosiveness is concerning. NBA players will be able to stay in front of him better and bother him with length.

If the Spurs get him over Precious, then there must be something there. His offense is obviously better. In my opinion, this team doesnt need another mid range shooter or shooter period who would get hot and cold just like everyone else on our current team. For instance, i think Lonnie and Murray are players with greater tendencies to shoot rather than take it in hard like Keldon. We need more players like Keldon who are fearless and attack, attack, attack. Way too many times last year we could not buy a bucket in the third because we had players who were soft. I'm afraid Pat would overrely on that shot when he sees players in the paint in the NBA are bigger and tougher.

For a while this past season, people ragged on Keldon for being a poor shooter in the GLeague. I would still take his poor shooting ass over softie Lonnie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched a couple more...

Beginning to see what you mean about the "sturdiness" of Pat's pull ups. It looks the same every time. His shoulders get compact which helps with the shot. Still, his lack of explosiveness is concerning. NBA players will be able to stay in front of him better and bother him with length.

If the Spurs get him over Precious, then there must be something there. His offense is obviously better. In my opinion, this team doesnt need another mid range shooter or shooter period who would get hot and cold just like everyone else on our current team. For instance, i think Lonnie and Murray are players with greater tendencies to shoot rather than take it in hard like Keldon. We need more players like Keldon who are fearless and attack, attack, attack. Way too many times last year we could not buy a bucket in the third because we had players who were soft. I'm afraid Pat would overrely on that shot when he sees players in the paint in the NBA are bigger and tougher.

For a while this past season, people ragged on Keldon for being a poor shooter in the GLeague. I would still take his poor shooting ass over softie Lonnie.
    I've been re-watching Williams like a mad-man plus reading more on him like at The Stepien. I still really like him, but the flaws and pitfalls are getting bigger to me. Maybe it's watching him too much, or just seeing more and being able to judge better.

with regards to Keldon Johnson and driving to the basket ... Williams had a decent free throw attempt rate (.357 to Keldon's NCAA .416). Better than Lonnie (.204) and guys like Jeff Green or Earl Clark. But also more than Kawhi who only had a ftar of .305. So yes, whether he would still attack like a bulldog like Keldon is a fair point. But to me, his good free throw % incentives him to continue going at the rim. He was such a good free throw shooter I even saw him designated to shoot a technical that the other coach drew.

With his athleticism, I like him because I am projecting out that he will fine-tune his body due to his age and get better athletically. He has these huge legs and I am hopeful that as his body matures he gets more comfortable and just better. BUT that's just a projection. He could very easily plateau or get slower. And if that happens that blows apart how good he'll be.

Chris Singleton back in the day was a worse athlete in the NBA than college. Three potential contributions to that: First, he gained weight after college and might have contributed to him being slower. On paper it was 10 pounds, but I swear that there was a DX or ESPN report at the time of the draft that the number was 20. Second, he had a broken foot and surgery to repair it his last college season, missed only 4 weeks and came back to play in March Madness. That's such a short timeline that I could easily imagine that screwing up his athleticism, I doubt a player would be allowed to do that nowadays. Third, was the work ethic. I doubt anyone could have predicted that Singleton was the kind of guy who would spend $10k on a single drawing of lottery tickets while in the NBA. And when he was slower, he lost the speed to cover anyone 1-3.

So if Williams doesn't improve athletically or gets slower, that probably sinks him.

One thing that's in favor of Achiuwa is that he's ready to go athletically. Maybe being older helps.

One other small note with a sample size of almost nothing: I remain optimistic that Williams can function with the mindset of a scorer, and the game against Syracuse fits with it. That game Vassell sat out, and he led Florida State in points and field goal attempts for the season. Not by a lot, they were a pretty even team, but he was more or less the man. In that game Williams still came off the bench but had his season high in points and FGA and led FSU for the game in both categories, including some tough inside scores down the stretch. Correction: season high points against major conference schools He also got taken to the rim and scored on to match his scores, but it is what it is, he shouldn't be covering small scoring guards.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People said the same thing after we drafted David and what do you know we Tanked and got Timmy. My point is that some teams tank every year and some strategically tank for a certain players like we did for David and Timmy so 2021 draft is going to have some really good players and I HOPE that we could possibly trade our first this year for 2021 so we strategically Tank by playing all our new guys more then 5 minutes a game. And hoping that Forbes and DEROZZ are traded so Keldon and Walker and White and Murray, and Samanic can get real playing time to truly judge what we have as a building block.

Everything I have read is saying this is a very weak draft and next year is going to be one of the best in a long time so would love 2 high first rounders buy hey that’s just my thoughts.
    Your only problem with your statement is you have contradicting points in there. If we get rid of forbes and DDR to play our younger players and tank. I believe if we get rid of those two and play our younger players we will actually be better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll probably put together a post with ton of timestamps that will address theses things. May not be convincing to you, but it will show why I'm high on him as being projectable as a scoring threat big wing.

Back to Achiuwa, I was going through some old mocks and saw how SI's Jeremy Woo had Bam Adebayo mocked to the Spurs at 29 as late as May 17. His stock of course jumped 15 spots in a month. There are some here who might anti-Precious because of where some places mock him now or maybe think he's only targetable as a trade-down candidate. I'm not one of them, I don't think taking Precious at 11 would be a reach or undesirable based on perceived draft stock. he might be gone before the Spurs even pick.
    Precious just climbed to #12 on the latest tankathon mock draft. Before that, i think he was last in the first round.

!
    Last edited by Dejounte; 05-16-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well it was reported long time ago that The Spurs has him pegged for the draft when it looked like they were picking 18.

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tyler Bey has all the tools of Kawhi. He has the defense, rebounding, length, touch, and post game of Kawhi. Although he is 22 I see him as having a ton of upside. He just needs to extend his range, shoot with confidence, and tighten his handle. All things Kawhi worked on. He's a power forward than can transition to small forwards easily due to his length and quickness. Spurs love the Pac 12
    Last edited by keithington1; 05-17-2020 at 02:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still kind of like Okoro on the wing the most.

He's got some question marks on his shooting, but nothing alarming.

Defense looks pretty legit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tyler Bey has all the tools of Kawhi. He has the defense, rebounding, length, touch, and post game of Kawhi. Although he is 22 I see him as having a ton of upside. He just needs to extend his range, shoot with confidence, and tighten his handle. All things Kawhi worked on. He's a power forward than can transition to small forwards easily due to his length and quickness. Spurs love the Pac 12
    Looks like he's projected to go in the 20s? Worth it if we could trade in at that point. Not sure he's a lottery level talent (unless some Spurs see more in him that untrained eyes do)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is talking Saddiq anymore?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is still who I want

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Precious just climbed to #12 on the latest tankathon mock draft. Before that, i think he was last in the first round.

!
    I'm with you for precious after watching some tapes.

I want an energetic big since a long time and he can be it.
    He is really good at the PnR, good defender, shotblocker and the shooting touch is in progress.

I prefer okoro, green or vassell at the wing but it's close and Bey could be interesting.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Montrezl Harrell comp is right on with what i see out of Achiuwa, but i also think that if he gets drafted to right team, and puts in work along with the development team, might be better than Harrell. he's 20, will be 21 by next season, still young enough to improve.

I've be hearing a few people mentioning a Pascal Siakam comp, both from his coach and other outside source. I do not see that, i think defensively i can see him having a similar impact to that of Siakam, but not offensively. Another guy that i keep on thinking about when comparing Precious is Luol Deng. I think if Precious reaches his potential offense ceiling, you looking more a Luol Deng time of player.

I see Precious being more of 4 in this league, that has the ability to guard 3/4 and a few smallball 5s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Precious insults Rudy Gay in this video and compares himself to Kawhi.

https://youtu.be/i-SEij8PVS8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Precious insults Rudy Gay in this video and compares himself to Kawhi.

https://youtu.be/i-SEij8PVS8
    Yeah, that won't get you interest by the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is living up to his name of Precious

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's some video of Patrick Williams and what I like about him. Feelings on him from draft enthusiasts are very mixed, there's a t-wolves centered podcast that just hated him and projected him as a smallball center.

But I'll get into what I like about him. First, someone else's strengths and weaknesses videos:

You can see a lot of his shooting so I won't bother linking to those

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going to the rim. He was an efficient mid-range shooter (clarification, efficient off the dribble), but didn’t settle for only that. He would drive and draw fouls, and being a very good free throw shooter, it makes me hopeful that he’ll continue to go at the rim when opportunities are there and not be afraid of contact.

timestamp 15:36

timestamp 10:19

timestamp 28:28

to be continued
    Last edited by objective; 05-19-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timestamp 1:18:21

timestamp 4:28

timestamp 4:56

timestamp 7:11

timestamp 1:16

Not the most devastating driver, but as a freshman who was making jumpshots, he didn't settle as much as one might fear and like I put in an earlier post, he had a decent free throw rate that was largely just from him going to the rim. Less than Keldon Johnson in college but more than Kawhi.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some Patrick Williams plays where his athleticism pop for me. There's more but here's a fair sample I think. Very good second jump.

timestamp 40:35

timestamp 26:11

timestamp 1:54 two blocks in succession

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another place where I feel Patrick Williams is very well placed to be a projected impact player: his passing. Considering that he was a freshman who was not a primary playmaker and had limited opportunities to impress with his passing, this is some good stuff.

Showing Growth part 1/2. MISSES THE PASS then drives and is fouled, possession finishes 101:54

Showing Growth part 2/2. He acknowledges missing the pass. Next offensive possession they run it again and this time he gets it right. timestamp 102:57

As a pick-and-roll ballhandler, he ranked in the 89th percentile at 0.958 ppp, and excellent rating (numbers from The Stepien, link here). The shooting from pnr you can see in the strengths video I posted, but here's some passing.

timestamp 13:27. Simple enough pass to the open shooter.

timestamp 41:50. Can't get anywhere or feed the big but still is aware to make a sharp pass for a shot.

timestamp 18:05 feed to the big

timestamp 27:49

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by objective; 05-19-2020 at 07:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kudos on the work.

All in all, I think they should pick a player with a higher ceiling than Patrick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I am looking at ceiling to improve but what player really has that? The only kid I would think that has a lot of upside would be is Hampton other then that we’re looking at a decent starter or a good sixth man at best. I think they take best young player available not going to swing for the fences in getting another KY.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bleacher report has Spurs picking Cole Anthony.....whatever

Thread Information