Page 30 of 115 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best available players likely to be there at the 5th pick are Haliburton, Toppin, and Okongwu. If we trade away LMA then we’ll need get one of the bigs. I’d pick Toppin in this specific scenario.
    A few mock drafts also have Avdija & Hayes at 5 too. I’ve even seen a couple that have Wiseman falling to 5 as well (I personally wouldn’t count on that happening though)

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're going to go with whoever has the fattest head or stupidest hair. Book it.
    wont be surprised

nico mannion welcome to spurs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but we desperately need a shooter. we have a defensive guard in murray + we can draft a solid defensive SF via draft.
    More than likely, Murray's only path to being a passable offensive player is become a solid spot up three-point shooter (basically, a bigger/more athletic Beverley). He's never going to become a primary play maker because that's more innate and he clearly doesn't have the feel/skill for it.

Putting a 3 and D wing next to him would leave virtually no path to building an above average offense.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    [wrong thread]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not at 11. But if some trade happens like DMDR for 20 (and I think it could because BKN is going to be looking for a third star to appease Durant and Irving), then I'm fine with getting the best big. 11 (or whatever the team's natural pick ends up being) should be BPA, but the team needs to come out of this off-season with an actual rotational big on a long-term deal -- and that's assuming that all of LMA, Poeltl and Lyles return. If any of them are gone, the team will need another starter to replace them.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not at 11. But if some trade happens like DMDR for 20 (and I think it could because BKN is going to be looking for a third star to appease Durant and Irving), then I'm fine with getting the best big. 11 (or whatever the team's natural pick ends up being) should be BPA, but the team needs to come out of this off-season with an actual rotational big on a long-term deal -- and that's assuming that all of LMA, Poeltl and Lyles return. If any of them are gone, the team will need another starter to replace them.
    I expect Aldridge and Lyles to be back because it would be difficult to impossible to find better players at their respective salaries in free agency. Poeltl will depend on how okay he is with coming off the bench for another year and how much money he wants. The MLE could come into play too, and this time I hope the Spurs can land a decent player who won't renege. I haven't paid much attention to the free agency list though.

If both Aldridge and Poeltl are back I would be okay with a PF in the draft as opposed to a C. The forward spots, as always, would be the weakest ones on the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't think of a worse possible fit for the Nets than DeRozan.

What they need, is someone who can space the floor for Durant and Irving and at least be a neutral defender.

In order to derive any value whatsoever, DeRozan has to have the ball and they're obviously not going to turn two superior on ball options into floor spacers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't think of a worse possible fit for the Nets than DeRozan.

What they need, is someone who can space the floor for Durant and Irving and at least be a neutral defender.

In order to derive any value whatsoever, DeRozan has to have the ball and they're obviously not going to turn two superior on ball options into floor spacers.
    The Nets aren't going to make a trade to get better on the court. Marks already put together a team that would've worked fine for Durant and Irving. The two stars basically took over the team. That's the only way to explain letting Atkinson go and courting Mark Jackson. They're going to go for a third star, and I'm sure Marks will try to get someone like Beal first. Maybe he'll even skip down and try to snag CJ McCollum. DeRozan, for all his flaws fits what the Nets are likely to be looking for, including being cheap enough to acquire that Marks could still have some pieces left to make legit moves.

Ideally, it would be something like Levert, Prince and 20 for DeRozan and Metu. It's possible that it'd be as low as Dinwiddie, Prince and one of Claxton, Kurus or Musa for DeRozan, with the Spurs having to eat Metu's salary. You could argue that either deal is worth doing for both sides. If you do the latter deal add 20 and Metu into the deal, I think it would split the difference between Brooklyn not committing too much and SA gaining legit option value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect Aldridge and Lyles to be back because it would be difficult to impossible to find better players at their respective salaries in free agency. Poeltl will depend on how okay he is with coming off the bench for another year and how much money he wants. The MLE could come into play too, and this time I hope the Spurs can land a decent player who won't renege. I haven't paid much attention to the free agency list though.

If both Aldridge and Poeltl are back I would be okay with a PF in the draft as opposed to a C. The forward spots, as always, would be the weakest ones on the team.
    I think all three will be back. Poeltl isn't likely to get more than the QO, and I think the Spurs are comfortable giving him that. After that, maybe he's gone. Lyles would be cut on a different team, because I think most GMs would be comfortable with trying to sign Trey back for the minimum. PATFO probably thinks he's been good enough to not rock the boat.

I am hoping that BPA at 11ish will be a 6-9 combo-forward with potential on offense but enough production on D to replace Lyles in the starting lineup. Even if that happens, I'd still like them to acquire a second first-rounder and use it on the best-available center. Simply put, they need to replenish that pipeline. I guess they could bring in Milutinov, but not only do I think that ship has sailed, I also don't really think he'd be much better than Eubanks or Zeller if he came over anyway. If that's true, then I'd totally want a new young guy on a four-year deal. I like Keldon a lot, but I really wish Goga had fallen or that the Spurs drafted a wing at 19 and used 29 on Claxton or Kabengele.

And yes, still tilted about them passing on Brandon Clarke. Just like I was tilted on them passing on Harrell in 2015.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ideally, it would be something like Levert, Prince and 20 for DeRozan and Metu. It's possible that it'd be as low as Dinwiddie, Prince and one of Claxton, Kurus or Musa for DeRozan, with the Spurs having to eat Metu's salary. You could argue that either deal is worth doing for both sides. If you do the latter deal add 20 and Metu into the deal, I think it would split the difference between Brooklyn not committing too much and SA gaining legit option value.
    Any of these would be great value. I fear that's a tad bit optimistic, though.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    levert is already much better than ddr...
    imo ddr in nets just look good on paper but in reality it would be a disaster for a nets

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe he has some skills that are not common for a 7ft but hes skinnier that a top model and looks like hes gonna break his legs every single step. One stroneger defense with a guy like zion, drummond, embiid etc and hes career is over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About 2 of that 7 feet is from the shoulders up - dude got a big 'ol head

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pick the BPA whether that's a 3 or a 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any of these would be great value. I fear that's a tad bit optimistic, though.
    Prince is negative value, so the second deal really depends on if one of those young players really interest the Spurs. While Dinwiddie is good enough, the Spurs don't need his skill-set if they are rebuilding. He's basically filler unless a third team wants him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nets aren't going to make a trade to get better on the court. Marks already put together a team that would've worked fine for Durant and Irving. The two stars basically took over the team. That's the only way to explain letting Atkinson go and courting Mark Jackson. They're going to go for a third star, and I'm sure Marks will try to get someone like Beal first. Maybe he'll even skip down and try to snag CJ McCollum. DeRozan, for all his flaws fits what the Nets are likely to be looking for, including being cheap enough to acquire that Marks could still have some pieces left to make legit moves.

I know they took over the team, but I'm going to guess they're intelligent enough to realize that DeRozan would be the worst possible fit alongside them (as far as I know, he's not friends with them either). They already have tertiary play making in Dinwiddie (if not traded first, probably walks in a year) and LeVert and those two actually shoot 3s.

DeRozan, like Aldridge, probably isn't fetching two assets (LeVert and 20) and neither LeVert nor Dinwiddie make much sense for the Spurs, so they'd probably pull in a third team in this scenario.

Check your PM's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know they took over the team, but I'm going to guess they're intelligent enough to realize that DeRozan would be the worst possible fit alongside them (as far as I know, he's not friends with them either). They already have tertiary play making in Dinwiddie (if not traded first, probably walks in a year) and LeVert and those two actually shoot 3s.
    I think you should guess again. There's no doubt in my mind that on paper the Nets should have won the East if they were healthy. Marks did a good job building a supporting cast in one off-season. But he also hired a good coach. KD and KI don't want change to fit them on the court. They just want talent. If DeRozan is best Marks can get, he'll be the guy. Incidentally, LMA is another guy they could target, but I think DeRozan makes more sense given LMA's play style and the presence of Allen and Jordan.

Remember that the current owner didn't hire Marks. Sean could well see his job on the line if he doesn't accommodate his best players.

DeRozan, like Aldridge, probably isn't fetching two assets (LeVert and 20) and neither LeVert nor Dinwiddie make much sense for the Spurs, so they'd probably pull in a third team in this scenario.
    I think that first DeRozan trade I mentioned would be a tremendous haul for sure. But I also think that it's not that much for any better "star". Like I don't think it gets Beal, and I don't think guys like Musa and Claxton close that gap. Unless a team is strapped for cash and is willing to dump someone good (like maybe Oladipo?), I don't see a market friendly to snatching up a star this year.

I think LeVert makes sense in the "he's better than the guys already on the team" way. You make that trade and look for someone to take White/Murray. Who knows that an Aldridge deal would look like? It's possible that any of the young guards on the team is part of that (like the one you proposed with Detroit). I agree on Dinwiddie though. Lucky for SA, I think they'd be able to get positive value for him.

Check your PM's.
    Yeah, waiting on a reply.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you should guess again. There's no doubt in my mind that on paper the Nets should have won the East if they were healthy. Marks did a good job building a supporting cast in one off-season. But he also hired a good coach. KD and KI don't want change to fit them on the court. They just want talent. If DeRozan is best Marks can get, he'll be the guy. Incidentally, LMA is another guy they could target, but I think DeRozan makes more sense given LMA's play style and the presence of Allen and Jordan.

Remember that the current owner didn't hire Marks. Sean could well see his job on the line if he doesn't accommodate his best players.

I think that first DeRozan trade I mentioned would be a tremendous haul for sure. But I also think that it's not that much for any better "star". Like I don't think it gets Beal, and I don't think guys like Musa and Claxton close that gap. Unless a team is strapped for cash and is willing to dump someone good (like maybe Oladipo?), I don't see a market friendly to snatching up a star this year.

I think LeVert makes sense in the "he's better than the guys already on the team" way. You make that trade and look for someone to take White/Murray. Who knows that an Aldridge deal would look like? It's possible that any of the young guards on the team is part of that (like the one you proposed with Detroit). I agree on Dinwiddie though. Lucky for SA, I think they'd be able to get positive value for him.

Yeah, waiting on a reply.
    Durant had already torn his Achilles when they signed him. Most of their supporting cast was already in place and it was solid in terms of talent, less so in fit. Also, how do you know those two don't value fit? It's one thing to throw it out the window for overwhelming talent, but this wouldn't be that.

Aldridge is a much better fit because he can actually space the floor and given the stakes, is still probably capable of neutral defense. Allen would have to be in the trade obviously.

It's not much for a real star. It is for a pseudo one who'd be an awful fit.

You could argue that with LeVert, but he's almost 26, with an extensive injury history and awful efficiency. I'd look to package him with 11 for 5 and give the on ball reps to Avdija, Walker, Johnson.

Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree on White, but I don't see how Murray's ceiling is beyond solid starter. He literally has no offensive strength and players who go beyond that threshold almost always show at least glimpses of it 193 games/3779 minutes into their career.
    I still have no idea what Murray's ceiling is tbh but I still think its higher than White's. He doesn't have a discernable skill on offense, though his shooting improvement looks to be for real (he shot 47% on mid-range jumpers and 37% on 3's.)

He hasn't been all that good this season, still, he averaged 10.7 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.7 spg in just 25 mpg. That isn't to say that he'll a better player just because he fills up the stat sheet but that's not nothing. This is really only his second season as a starter and he's spent that coming back from an ACL injury. I'm curious to see what he can do next season playing 30+ mpg.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still have no idea what Murray's ceiling is tbh but I still think its higher than White's. He doesn't have a discernable skill on offense, though his shooting improvement looks to be for real (he shot 47% on mid-range jumpers and 37% on 3's.)

He hasn't been all that good this season, still, he averaged 10.7 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.7 spg in just 25 mpg. That isn't to say that he'll a better player just because he fills up the stat sheet but that's not nothing. This is really only his second season as a starter and he's spent that coming back from an ACL injury. I'm curious to see what he can do next season playing 30+ mpg.
    Fair enough. Most catch all metrics would point to that too because they're mostly similar despite the age/experience gap (although Murray has played slightly more in the NBA).

Still, I think the hope is he develops into what White already is, which is a competent shooter/play maker. But he just doesn't have as good a feel/IQ, which can't be taught.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough. Most catch all metrics would point to that too because they're mostly similar despite the age/experience gap (although Murray has played slightly more in the NBA).

Still, I think the hope is he develops into what White already is, which is a competent shooter/play maker. But he just doesn't have as good a feel/IQ, which can't be taught.
    At this point, it seems clear to me that Murray's future should be as a secondary play-maker. He doesn't have great handles or even average, consistent, play-making. That's why those shooting numbers are so important. Spotting up from 3 when he doesn't have the ball and being a threat to get to the rim, or at least knock down a mid-range jumper when he does.

White still projects as a good starter, above average bench guard. He is much more of a natural play-maker, though his aggression wanes at times. The question becomes who has a better ceiling at those roles. I think its Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone know how much we drop from the 11th pick if we make the playoffs? 14th pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone know how much we drop from the 11th pick if we make the playoffs? 14th pick?
    15th, at best. 14 is still a lottery pick.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    26 days til the lottery! (I was previously off by a few days)

Thread Information